CR barbless landing ratios... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Default CR barbless landing ratios...

Got some intel from a trusted Ifish source that decent numbers of fish are being hooked in the lower river, but the landing rate has been rather disappointing.

I asked if it was due to the concentration of thieving furbags attracted by the mega-run of smelt. He said no.... most of it is being attributed to barbless hooks.

He suggested I post some tips on fishing barbless.

Most of my thoughts have already been posted in these two threads, so I'll bring them back up.

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=439186

https://www.ifish.net/board/showpost....8&postcount=28

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
roosevelt
King Salmon

Default Re: CR barbless landing ratios...

I have a friend who has been pulling his hair out, the other day they had 6 chances and none made it to the net, next day 3 for 5. he said he has been happy with 50%. sounds frustrating
roosevelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
fisch
Coho

Barbress ratio for trolling is about the same but barbless suck for plunking. I mean big time. 70-80% fish lost.
fisch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #4
derrick454
Ifish Nate

yeah and about 50% of the people said it would not make a difference
Hog wash! Just like when the Ocean went to barbless, you lost way more fish
But out there you did'nt worry because your next take down was 5 minutes away. Springer fishing it could be a month until the next one
derrick454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #5
Fshklr
Tuna

1/1 for 100%

Fshklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 AM   #6
KEHarrisonfineart

We only boat fish , so I can't speak for banking it. On plugs we are 2 for 2 with VMC siwash that have been offset and honed needle sharp. Trolling we are 3 for 3 two on spinners with 1/0 owner trebles and one on a double solid tie herring rig 4/0 and 3/0 Gami octopus hooks, all honed needle sharp. If you keep your hooks as sharp as they can be, offset your siwash points, and keep slack out while playing you will get most fish to the net.
KEHarrisonfineart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
beachboi26
Tuna!

thats their reasoning behind the barbless hook crap, for us to loose fish and to reduce catch rates, not for mortality or some other nonsense excuse they used. this sucks and I hate barbless hooks. We lost a real nice fish and they only bite we had all day last saturday due to this.
beachboi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Finaddict91
Ifish Nate

Horrid on my boat....

Fished barbless in AK for trout and I am pretty handy with a rod and reel. Before I switched I would land 9/10.
After...5/10.
Can't wait for fall wobbler fishing....
Old 03-28-2013, 07:26 AM   #9
5-Cents
King Salmon

Posting this will probably kill my/my buddies average but we are 3 for 3 in two trips for fish that were hooked - had one bait stripped but that fish was never hooked. I think the thing for everyone to remember fishing barbless - maxmim pressure on the rod and bring the fish in FAST! I see a lot of people that Obi Wan their rods while fighting salmon - with barbless that equals bye-bye!

FYI my first fish from hookset to the net this year took about 28 seconds - so is life with barbless hooks!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

http://twitter.com/5CentZ
5-Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:45 AM   #10
choppers
Sturgeon

Doc, skimming your link only confused me more maybe it's the lack of sleep. What hooks are you using for your plugs and plug cuts?
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
NF122
Tuna!

100 percent hookups to kill. Several bait stripers but those happen either way. Love the removal from the net without barbs. Soft rods and fast reels with small hooks.
NF122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
Aton
Steelhead

doh Re: CR barbless landing ratios...

Yep it hurts, lost one yesterday, from bank, 50% human error for sure. Yakima "factory" treble n spin glo. No play where treble is connected to wire. He rolled over n out. My fault, should have "cranked" him in. Silly me, thought I'd let him get "ready" to be netted. I can live with it tho, an out of towner who has never caught a salmon, and gets the only hookup amongst a bank full of locals, well....I don't mind paying some dues I guess. Would have been nice to land that hog! Funny part was, one of the guys on the bank said to me, "You moved in on my fishing hole". I simply responded with...My license is for Oregon, If you see me fishing over on the Washington side then you can complain.
Aton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Aton
Steelhead

But...
They put barbs on hooks for a reason, they work good. Now there is a fish swimming around with a sore lip. Could've done the humane thing and put him out of his misery with a crack to the head.
Aton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #14
Moniker1
Tuna!

1/1 on my rod/boat..

4/8 for boats I've seen and boats I've been on...(not including my boat)
Moniker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #15
Bobber Lobber
Coho

12 for 16 in 5 trips... Not bad...
Bobber Lobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
BlackBass
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSlacker View Post
We only boat fish , so I can't speak for banking it. On plugs we are 2 for 2 with VMC siwash that have been offset and honed needle sharp. Trolling we are 3 for 3 two on spinners with 1/0 owner trebles and one on a double solid tie herring rig 4/0 and 3/0 Gami octopus hooks, all honed needle sharp. If you keep your hooks as sharp as they can be, offset your siwash points, and keep slack out while playing you will get most fish to the net.

How are you going about "honing" your hooks needle sharp? Don't they come sharp out of the package? Curious to know your method, thank you ahead of time.
BlackBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #17
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppers View Post
Doc, skimming your link only confused me more maybe it's the lack of sleep.
https://www.ifish.net/board/showthrea...ight=planetary

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
bscappell
Ifish Nate

was told by our Liasion for WDFW that Barbless is not just for ESA but for escapement up river......lol.....in my area up river is the hatchery.....nice to have more hatchery by wild crosses in the mix.

whats next? i bet you Circle hooks....

Last edited by bscappell; 03-28-2013 at 01:03 PM.
bscappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #19
Swifty27
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscappell View Post
was told by our Liasion for WDFW that Barbless is not just for ESA but for escapement up river......lol.....in my area up river is the hatchery.....nice to have more hatchery by wild crosses in the mix.

whats next? i bet you Circle hooks....

Escapement for the hatchery broodstock is what they said last night.

Oh ya, something constructive: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdo...=150701&type=A

Making a big extrapolation, expect roughly 25% more fish lost, but a faster release.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
choppers
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeFISH View Post
I understand the part about zoro or not letting the planets align with each other. Keeping the hook burried in their jaw from the side.

But what hooks are you using on your plugs or cut plugs? I have Owner stingers and Owner style Octopus in variouse sizes to match my plug/plug cut/spin glow. Just curiouse what brand your rocking with all your hook up success it might be worth a try to switch out.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #21
bscappell
Ifish Nate

this might be more suited for another topic but how much damage does a barbed hook do? is it the act of pulling them out that does it? what about just require the hook be cut off. not removed. the fish arent feeding and will die anyways.

also seems to me that the tension put on a hook when peirced through the fih would enlarge the hole and therfore the hook, if pulled out correctly (put pressure on the opposite side of the hook barb), barb would reallly do very little more dmaage than we already did leading them around for 5 plus minutes.

i knew there was a reason i didnt want the chief Joe Hatchery!!!! hatchery escapement? lol. if thats the case they better start breeding the biggest males with the biggest females so i can at least lose big fish.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #22
bscappell
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty27 View Post
Escapement for the hatchery broodstock is what they said last night.

Oh ya, something constructive: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdo...=150701&type=A

Making a big extrapolation, expect roughly 25% more fish lost, but a faster release.
might be tiem to force WDFW to do a study...if only i knew a state legislator.....you know what, this would be a great CCA legislative push!!! i am gonna call Nello! by golly we can at least prove that the only thing they are doing is letting more fish loose. none of this bs about ESA protection. we can pit tag and flow (sp?) tag and release fish and see if there is a difference between mortality of barbed versus berbless. i would be ok with spending money on that!!!
Old 03-28-2013, 03:30 PM   #23
gorgebankmaggot
Ifish Nate

Quote:
this might be more suited for another topic but how much damage does a barbed hook do? is it the act of pulling them out that does it? what about just require the hook be cut off. not removed. the fish arent feeding and will die anyways.

also seems to me that the tension put on a hook when peirced through the fih would enlarge the hole and therfore the hook, if pulled out correctly (put pressure on the opposite side of the hook barb), barb would reallly do very little more dmaage than we already did leading them around for 5 plus minutes.

i knew there was a reason i didnt want the chief Joe Hatchery!!!! hatchery escapement? lol. if thats the case they better start breeding the biggest males with the biggest females so i can at least lose big fish.
In my mind it's all about the ease of release, and it only applies to multi-hook or treble hook lures. Barbed, single hooks are not difficult to unhook except when swallowed, and then you need to just leave em in there. Multi hook or treble hook setups can create all kinds of mess that injure fish and also make it hard to unhook them. Taking the barbs out of that equation makes sense to me. Fish that spend a bunch of extra time in the net and being wrestled have to have a higher mortality rate, especially when it's warm.

In a roundabout way I guess that what I'm saying is that I'd like to see a treble hook ban, and a barbless ban on multi hook lures/baits.
gorgebankmaggot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #24
adobe wall
King Salmon

2 for 2, but I switched hooks and rods. The rods I'm using now are 3' longer.

I had things dialed in well with barbs here in the backyard fishery. Loved those 7'9" back bouncers but those days are gone.

The two fish we've landed, the first was stitched up nicely with both hooks, the second, the hooks fell out while the fish was in the net. Looks like I'm still at least getting half on the front hook.

At least we got a mortality adjustment for the barbless hooks...oh wait.

I am losing more gear with the long softer rods. When we hang up, you can't horse the gear loose as easily for fear of breaking the damn rod. I'm going to have to rework my line weights now.
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:46 PM   #25
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choppers View Post

But what hooks are you using on your plugs or cut plugs? I have Owner stingers and Owner style Octopus in variouse sizes to match my plug/plug cut/spin glow. Just curiouse what brand your rocking with all your hook up success it might be worth a try to switch out.
My hook of first choice is the BRB open eye for pluggin' and the standard BRB for herring, hangback hoochie spinners, and hangback hoochie spoons.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #26
ccw
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgebankmaggot View Post

In a roundabout way I guess that what I'm saying is that I'd like to see a treble hook ban, and a barbless ban on multi hook lures/baits.
Well, banning bait would have an impact. Banning barbs? Not so much. C.W.

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:44 PM   #27
Crabwell Noriega
Steelhead

Running a 3/0 owner needle point with pinched barb for my top hook and switched trailing hook(s) to 2/0 Gami Octopus barbless. The more narrow gap on the owner sits tight against the plug cut herring and the Gami Octopus has a wider gap allowing for a better hook set. Seems to be working well.
Crabwell Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #28
2slow
Chromer

We are 2 for 2. Hardly a great test. Just keep it tight and you will maximize your success.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #29
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

We're 2 for 5 so far. 2 of the hits were pretty weak hits that Never really had the rod buried - I don't think the barb would have mattered. The last one was buried, but when he picked the rod up, the fish wasn't there. ON that one, he got to the rod too quick, and had mis-set the drag, so I don't think the barb was a factor there, either.

Barbless doesn't worry me too much. Play the rest of your game and get hit, the rest will sort out.
Silver Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #30
Bonk
Tuna!

Missed two today on kwiks might just have been bad luck? Both rigged with Gami sickles who knows if barbed trebles would have helped.
Bonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #31
birdhunter
Tuna!

Not to get too off topic but with respect to Oregon only - implementation of the commercial portions of the ODFW Commission rulemaking package from December 7th have been stayed by the Court of Appeals and will be through at least June.

The sport portion (or at least the barbless requirement) has not been stayed. Hence why everyone is still required to use barbless hooks but the commercial allocations are unchanged.

The reasons the commercial requirements were stayed had to do primarily with process and notice problems for the entire December 7th rulemaking package.

CCA and Dave Schamp were recently granted intervenor status in that litigation. They may, but thus far have not, ask the court to also stay enforcement of the barbless requirement for the same process and notice problems the commercials succeeded on.

So if you have a beef with the current barbless requirement, you might talk to CCA. If CCA wants to keep the barbless requirement, that's fine. For where I fish it really doesn't matter. But they are the only "sport" affiliated group with the power to ask the court that the barbless requirement be lifted too.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #32
KEHarrisonfineart

3 for 3 now with offset point needle sharp VMC siwash hooks with swivels on kwickfish. To sharpen I use a hook file, stroke from hook bend towards point, once on each side then once on the outside. Go easy it doesn't take much. Keep repeating until easily sticks to your thumbnail. It takes time to get the feel of it, but once you get it its easy.I'm sure others have their preference, thats just how I learned to do it.
KEHarrisonfineart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
stlhdr1
Sturgeon

7 for 7 for us. Missed a few others we hadn't set the hook on...

IMHO, soft rods and 65 pound tough line and a 3 hook set up 4/0, 4/0, 4/0 Owner Cutting Points makes the diff...

Keith
stlhdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #34
choppers
Sturgeon

Quote:
My hook of first choice is the BRB open eye for pluggin' and the standard BRB for herring, hangback hoochie spinners, and hangback hoochie spoons.
Thanks doc and others for sharing! more tight lines this weekend playa's
Old 03-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
Merganser99
Tuna!

We are 0/1 this year. Not much of a test but hadn't lost any of the 13 hooked in the last three years. Over the same three years we only had 3 takedowns that didn't hook up.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Antlershed
Tuna!

3/3 with double 4/0 BRB hooks and 10'6" rods
Antlershed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:26 PM   #37
Ruckus
Steelhead

Ok Dr eyefish,

What you say about rods makes a lot of sense.

I have a couple of 1996 s-glass 9' Fenwicks (MH, 14-30#) that seem a good place to start. Very linear loading. I caught a lot of lake Trout with these rods.

I still need to replace two very non-linear loading one year old McGill-Wright 10.5' rods.

Suggestions on rodsto look to buy? I like the $100-$125 range. I can extend that range if needed. But as the boat owner, whatever I buy; I but four. It adds up. I send an email to Fenwick with my needs, the response was useless.

Thanks
Ruckus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #38
jr69cam
Tuna!

2 for 2 with 10-30 x stream 9'0 just keep them bent but also don't force them in or they start cartwheeling !

Last edited by jr69cam; 03-29-2013 at 05:57 PM.
jr69cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #39
Chinook311
Chromer

I am 2 for 2 so far this year on barbless hooks. One 25 Lb hatchery on Monday and a 10 Lb wild today. I have to admit the release is way better with barbless.
Chinook311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:02 PM   #40
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

I'm 2 for 2 with barbless and 0-3 with barbed. The two I caught I was trying to purposely lose them to boot. So I don't get how people are blaming the tiny barb on the fish they are losing. Now what would be interesting is seeing people's responses last year with barbs. I have a feeling the loss ratio was similar, people are just making a point at saying they lost them this year because they don't want to use barbless.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:10 PM   #41
bullsbucksnducks
Coho

I know this I think if a fish is hooked up he is hooked up but I have a blast taking the kids to the beach sometimes and drowning some glows. easier for them sometimes lol! But i normally do pretty well from the beach on steelhead and i cant put a metal head on the beach lol. I think it kind of plays a part witht he barbless being they spend more time out of the water flipping and twisting more than in it. lol something has to be causing it....not breaking them off the hook just wont stay in them! lol but i 50/50 on this topic....lol i feel if a fish is hooked up he or she is hooked up......but I sure have lost allot of fish this year. lol
bullsbucksnducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 PM   #42
eyeFISH
King Salmon

My boat stats for a single barbless fishery over 9 seasons.... 979 landed for 1891 rod-downs = 0.52 of all strikes landed.

Know of one old timer that ran his stats in the same fishery this past year.... 0.51.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 03-30-2013, 04:57 AM   #43
Stick'em
King Salmon

Rod companies like Lamiglas should look at producing softer rods like their old fat glass rods a few years back. They do much better with these barbless hooks than the stiffer graphites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Stick'em; 03-30-2013 at 04:59 AM.
Stick'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #44
Just Fish
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bait Bucket View Post
Rod companies like Lamiglas should look at producing softer rods like their old fat glass rods a few years back. They do much better with these barbless hooks than the stiffer graphites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lami has the classic glass series.
Just Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #45
Bowhunter13
Steelhead

Quote:
might be tiem to force WDFW to do a study...if only i knew a state legislator.....you know what, this would be a great CCA legislative push!!! i am gonna call Nello! by golly we can at least prove that the only thing they are doing is letting more fish loose. none of this bs about ESA protection. we can pit tag and flow (sp?) tag and release fish and see if there is a difference between mortality of barbed versus berbless. i would be ok with spending money on that!!!

WDFW is doing a study on the wind... I'm sure the early results of the study have something to do with the rules... Look for results in coming years.
Bowhunter13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #46
Swifty27
Ifish Nate

There's one going on the Yakima that started last year looking at landing mortality on the bank.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #47
adobe wall
King Salmon

2-2 today, both on a 7'9" backbouncer. I kept the kicker in gear to keep some tension on the fish. With 8 feet of troll gear and a stiff rod it seemed way too likely to lose the fish at the boat
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #48
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Exceptional CR season with single, barbless, hangback... 449 landed for 729 bites = 61.6% of bites landed.

Either my crew is getting better with time, or we just got lucky this year.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #49
M Bite
Chromer

Quote:
Exceptional CR season with single, barbless, hangback... 449 landed for 729 bites = 61.6% of bites landed.

Either my crew is getting better with time, or we just got lucky this year.
What a season it was! And amazing landing ratio Doc!
I had a very similar ratios over all from B10 all the way to the Reach.
Barbless IMO doesn't matter as much with CR kings. Where I have really seen the affect though... is with CR summer steelhead and some days coho.

This fall my boat didnt hit the 300 king/coho mark.
25 days fishing (Aug- Oct.. 2 to 8 rods per day)
251 boated 409+/-10 take downs (counting every drive by/ touch)
60+ish% landing ratio
143 Kings harvested... 10 released
76 Silvers harvested... 22 released

5 worst landing ratios days...
0 for 2 0%, 2 for 6 30%, 8 for 22+ 36%, 3 for 8 37%, 8 for 20 40%
5 Best landing ratio...
4 for 4 100%, 16 for 25 64%, 19 for 29 65%, 8 for 12 66%, 22 for 32 68%

I played around with different hook set ups... and what seamed to work one day... didn't fair so good the next.

Last edited by M Bite; 12-20-2014 at 11:31 AM.
M Bite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:23 PM   #50
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Like you, I count every rod down in the denominator... even the ones that didn't stick. Two worst percentage days were 10 for 20 = 50%... and 12 for 24 = 50%.

Smallest number day was 6 for 8.... but only due to the fact that we launched at 2:00pm that day. I had to make a short trip back home to see post-op cataract patients in my Aberdeen clinic earlier that morning.

I found the most tentative biters to be the ones above Tongue Point. Most of them bit like non-committal little jacks.... taking FOREVER to bury the rod tip, if at all.

The fish on the WA side and the ones below the bridge were just flat out suidical.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:34 PM   #51
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I'd say hook to land ratio for Chinook is pretty high, maybe 85% for the boat. Coho somewhat less, take a guess at 60% to 70%.

What really sucked, was bite to hook ratio. My worst day produced four hooked fish for 19 bites. The other rod in the boat was only slightly better with 15 bites and maybe a half dozen hooked fish. Many days were well under 50%. But others were 90% to 100% hooked fish. All over the place.

If anyone has a suggestion how to turn bites into hooked fish, I'm all ears.... I'm using a three hook rig. I think next year I'll move the middle hook closer to the front of the bait. Most the fish that make it to the net are hooked on the front hook.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 12:39 PM   #52
eyeFISH
King Salmon

On my vessel, hangback rigging consistently produces hookups on the trailing hook by a factor of at least 5-6:1.... most days even higher.

In my mind, the top hook is simply there to tow the bait... the barbless hangback catches the fish.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:03 PM   #53
M Bite
Chromer

Quote:
Like you, I count every rod down in the denominator... even the ones that didn't stick. Two worst percentage days were 10 for 20 = 50%... and 12 for 24 = 50%.

Smallest number day was 6 for 8.... but only due to the fact that we launched at 2:00pm that day. I had to make a short trip back home to see post-op cataract patients in my Aberdeen clinic earlier that morning.

I found the most tentative biters to be the ones above Tongue Point. Most of them bit like non-committal little jacks.... taking FOREVER to bury the rod tip, if at all.

The fish on the WA side and the ones below the bridge were just flat out suidical.
7 of our 25 days were below Bonneville. Agree totally estuary fish seamed to bite a lot better.... at lest don't hesitate as long. I never wanted to leave that place! Plenty of fish and tons of opportunity. But over all it seamed once a rod was loaded up out of the holder... very few fish lost due to barbless hooks the last 2 years IMO. Steelhead on the other hand... UGHH! Worst day this year was 2 for 22 and 8 of those were out of the holder fought and lost.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #54
M Bite
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I'd say hook to land ratio for Chinook is pretty high, maybe 85% for the boat. Coho somewhat less, take a guess at 60% to 70%.

What really sucked, was bite to hook ratio. My worst day produced four hooked fish for 19 bites. The other rod in the boat was only slightly better with 15 bites and maybe a half dozen hooked fish. Many days were well under 50%. But others were 90% to 100% hooked fish. All over the place.

If anyone has a suggestion how to turn bites into hooked fish, I'm all ears.... I'm using a three hook rig. I think next year I'll move the middle hook closer to the front of the bait. Most the fish that make it to the net are hooked on the front hook.
I never had luck with a 3 hook rig. The year all those springers were stacked up at Davis Bar two of us went 2 for 11 one day then 0 for 6 then next with 3 hook rigs. Maybe my trailer wasnt hanging back enough then? It also could have been those Mustad thin wires I was using. Since then though I have thought maybe the hooks actually work against each other...

The main reason I probably dont run more is due to shear laziness.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #55
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I dunno Doc. My back hook is just behind the tail of the herring. The middle hook is near the ventral fin. Why am I hooking so many fish on the tow hook?
Old 05-18-2019, 03:48 PM   #56
eyeFISH
King Salmon

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/wdfw-fish-...ecommendation/

Quote:
Additionally, the commission made the use of barbless hooks voluntary in Columbia River fisheries as soon as possible, but no later than June 1, 2019.
Team eyeFISH stickin'to the barbless program... cuz we don't know no other way.

Long Live the Kings!
Old 05-18-2019, 05:18 PM   #57
fop
Ifish Nate

If fop boat fished the Columbia and it was open to barbs the boat would have barbs.

fop
Old 05-18-2019, 06:44 PM   #58
OregonSteel
Tuna!

Barb's all the way. Less lost fish = less time on the water = less impact. It's a no brainier.

I look forward to seeing something official in the regulation updates.

FYI, haven't lost a Springer since willamette went back to Barbs.....
OregonSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:10 AM   #59
Jsteel
Chromer

Default CR barbless landing ratios...

I will stick with barbless except when a brand new fisher person is on board. Anyone who has fishing experience doesn’t need to lose fish due to barbless hooks.

What I wonder is whether people who have complained so much about barbs will really keep track of whether their landing ratio truly increases if they go back to barbs. I bet it doesn’t, at least not nearly by the amount that some think it will.
Jsteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #60
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I don't think it affects Chinook landing rates. Been so long since I used barbs on Silvers I just don't remember. Hook style does affect Silver landings when fishing barbless.