IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bonefishing Setup?

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  D3smartie 
#1 ·
Hi all, I usually stick to the hunting section but have an opportunity that will probably be a once in a lifetime kind of thing for me. This summer I'm heading out of Florida to the Bahamas on a private boat for several days and am told we'll be around some prime bonefish flats for a day or two and I'd like to capitalize on that. I'm a pretty casual fly fisherman and chase trout, bass and carp normally. I have a 6 weight TFO rod that I plan to take and understand it's on the light end for that kind of fishing but I'm not interested in investing in new tackle. I'm wondering if my regular floating line will be sufficient and what kind of leader, tippet, fly setup I should plan on?

#2 ·
Your set up is on the light side but not too light. Casting in the wind will be the biggest issue. If you can I'd get a tropical class floating line or take a lot of line slick (some kind of cleaner/conditioner). Lines that work well in cold water will get a little gummed up in the heat and water in the 70s. Depending on how much time you'll spend fishing, I'd recommend 2 or 3 10' 10-12lb saltwater fluoro leaders and a spool of 10 and 12 lb fluoro tippet. There's a lot of info online about flies. Crazy Charlie type flies will work great. I like a fly called the Puff. I hope I don't break the rules for adding this link but these flies look great:

https://www.angleradventures.com/reference/effective-fly-patterns-to-catch-bonefish-in-the-bahamas/

Have fun, walk slowly, and be patient. Don't forget to look behind you! When stalking/walking I find it good to have enough fly line out to make a cast but still be in your control. I have 30 ft out of the rod tip and another 20-30 ft pulled off the spool but inside the guides. If you're in the mangroves, shorten up a little. I also make sure to keep the fly pinched (hook point out) between thumb and finger of my rod hand, and the leader/line junction under my little finger. That's a lot of info. Sorry, but it's always good to be prepared.

Have fun and let us know how you did!! Cheers, CopperMan.

#3 ·
I have an old(used once) 6wt flats line i'd be happy to send you. You definitely want a warm water line.
I would recommend you have a lot of backing and a good reel. One hot fish and you can blow up a cheap one pretty easily.
As far as leaders go. I like a 10 foot leader to 10# Flouro. A lot of leader length depends on wind, fly size and weight. You may want a shorter leader and lighter fly to match to a 6wt.

Be ready to cast 60 feet on a moments notice and be accurate. Accuracy in the wind is the trick with flats fishing. 1 or 2 false casts and get your fly on target.
I'd practice water loading your rod and just know the wind will always be a challenge.

As far as flies, i tie a lot of my own. But they are all shrimpy/buggy and sparse. Crazy Charlies/ gotchas/ etc will all work. If you want that line i will send a few to you as well.

#6 ·
Thanks, everyone, for the info, you guys are awesome! And D3, I sent you a message about that fly line.

#4 ·
are you going to wading or fishing from a flats boat?? makes a difference with the flies you may choose to fish weight wise. generally, the waters of the Bahamas do not have a perfectly clear bottom so darker flies seem to be the ticket. a warm water line is good advice and depending on the winds, a 6wt could be insufficient. if it is not super windy, no problems. the real trick to successful bone fishing is spotting the fish. you should be looking for shadows on the bottom as their coloration makes them hard to spot otherwise. this is where walking or poling with a guide is invaluable. if you have not done bone fishing before, spotting will be hard to pick up on your own with so little time. and the numbers of fish in the Bahamas is no where the numbers you could run into in other locations so catching could be a problem. have fun, it should be an interesting trip for you.

#5 ·
I'll start by saying I'm not an expert. I have spent about 10 hours fly fishing for bonefish down on some of the other Caribbean islands but I will say this.

You will learn a lot! From how to "hunt" fish on the flats to double hauling in the wind. Whether you catch fish or not you will have a blast if you enjoy fly fishing and warm water.

If you can get your hands on a loaner 8 weight set up you will be happy you did.

Just enjoy the moment and soak it in. If it is a once in a lifetime deal dont beat yourself up and stress yourself out about catching fish. Enjoy yourself and remember it. I didnt catch anything when I went but the memories have me itching to go back. Consequently I'm going to mexico this December(fingers crossed) and I have to give it a try!

Good luck!

#7 ·
CopperMan is spot on with his information as always...the wind is the biggest factor when fishing the flats that I found. I used an 8 weight and never felt like I was swinging too much of a rod...Definitely going to want to use a tropical line...I would take D3Smartie up on his offer...

You can pick up a used Echo Boost for about $125-$150 bucks on alot of different forums...I would recommend looking for one to maximize your enjoyment....if this is truly a "once in a lifetime" event....no sense going in there with less than adequate gear when a few bucks will get you there...

That being said....you may be able to talk me out of borrowing mine..I think it is that important ( I can add a sage reel with some tropical line on it as well)...as is practicing your haul....you gotta be able to shoot some line....spend a few days getting that down before you go...

#8 ·
A 6 wt fly rod will suffice, you will be outgunned but make sure you have enough backing and that should save you.
Main concern:

1. Wind, unless you position the boat or wade to a spot with wind coming from your back.

2. Fly line, you need a specific fly line that will not “Limp” in the tropics making it impossible for you to cast. Believe me I have seen it happen and it has ruined more than one fishing day.

3. Make sure your leader and tippet can withstand some teeth and some tugging as there will be “uninvited guests “ to your fly which can snap the fly faster than you can blink.

This should do it.

#9 ·
Agree with all of the above, especially about using warm water fly line. Line spooled for cold water trout streams is not appropriate.
I like to buy 12 foot salt water leaders and cut a foot or two off each end, then use an 8'lb 3'ft tippet to the fly. 6 weight will work fine in the morning before the winds pick up, then you'll appreciate the backbone of a 7 or 8 weight to cast through the late morning and afternoon wind, which always come.
Good luck and Cheers

#10 ·
You’ve gotten some great advice.
The only thing I’d add is in regards to flies.
Have some with various weights of dumbbell eyes.
Have some blind (no eyes for spooky or super shallow fish) some with bead chain and some with dumbbell eyes for deeper water.
As far as colors, tan has been by far my most productive color in that area.
Have fun,
SF

#11 ·
You experienced guys want to add something about flats boots and doing the stingray shuffle? I don't know what the encounter rate is like at his destination, but it's always good to be aware of the rays.

#12 ·
All excellent comments and after a few days or this type or fishing you will be hooked. Key points: Your line(s) need to be labeled Tropical or some such designation or they will be very sticky in heat. Washing your gear thoroughly in fresh water after fishing is essential. Rod, reel, flies. Great polarized glasses are a must Your guide will amaze you with his ability to sight fish. This is as much hunting as fishing. Stay low, slow, scan everywhere. Walk if you can. Much more fun than boat fishing. Add a few gummy minnows to your fly assortment. They could save your trip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.