IFish Fishing Forum banner

Restoring Old Lavro

6K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Kirkll 
#1 ·
I bought on OLD Lavro drift boat and am thinking of re-doing all the gel coat. Is this necessary or can it just be painted? If gel coat is best, what is the best brand? Applied with brush, roller? Any tips? How much will I need for a 16 ft drift boat? Exterior Gelcoat Brushable from the Bottom Paint store looks good to me...... jonb

#2 · (Edited)
Sorry, I can’t offer any advise for the exterior, but as far as the interior...

A few years ago, I refurbished an older Sears Gamefisher fiberglass boat. I used Rust-oleum TopSide paint and was very happy with the results. I used a small roller and brush, only because I used different colors for the hull and benches. As with any paint, proper preparation is key! The only flaws in the final finish were results from shortcuts I took. Overall, the paint job was still looking good after three years before I sold the boat. Here are a few of my overall thoughts of the product:

Pros: Fairly inexpensive compared to other products. Easy to use; one part paint vs. two part epoxy paint. Decent coverage; I used less than three quarts. Once the paint fully cures, it providers a very hard and durable surface.

Cons: VERY time consuming compared to other products. The directions call for light coats with a minimum of 12 hours in between coats. (If you sand in between coats, and properly clean up, this will add even more time to the process)Long curing time; depending on humidity, temp, etc, it can take two weeks or more for the paint to fully cure.

Overall, I was happy with the end product. Sure, I could have put even more effort into it and had the nicest little Gamefisher out there. My main concerns were to get rid of the fiberglass itch without having to repaint in another year. I guess it really depends what end results you are looking for. Nice vs function, price vs ease of application etc.

#19 ·
Sorry, I can’t offer any advise for the exterior, but as far as the interior...

A few years ago, I refurbished an older Sears Gamefisher fiberglass boat. I used Rust-oleum TopSide paint and was very happy with the results. I used a small roller and brush, only because I used different colors for the hull and benches. As with any paint, proper preparation is key! The only flaws in the final finish were results from shortcuts I took. Overall, the paint job was still looking good after three years before I sold the boat. Here are a few of my overall thoughts of the product:

Pros: Fairly inexpensive compared to other products. Easy to use; one part paint vs. two part epoxy paint. Decent coverage; I used less than three quarts. Once the paint fully cures, it providers a very hard and durable surface.

Cons: VERY time consuming compared to other products. The directions call for light coats with a minimum of 12 hours in between coats. (If you sand in between coats, and properly clean up, this will add even more time to the process)Long curing time; depending on humidity, temp, etc, it can take two weeks or more for the paint to fully cure.

Overall, I was happy with the end product. Sure, I could have put even more effort into it and had the nicest little Gamefisher out there. My main concerns were to get rid of the fiberglass itch without having to repaint in another year. I guess it really depends what end results you are looking for. Nice vs function, price vs ease of application etc.
have you got any photos of that glass Gamefisher? I’ve had a 14 aluminum model for a few years now I still use quite a bit. Great little boats. Kirk

#3 · (Edited)
Very well built boats I restored an 18ft drifter a couple winters ago. I repainted the forward locker and used acrylic enamel which worked out fine.I used Tuf coat on the floor and for the exterior i just wet sandeded and polished. If your going to repaint the exterior the Awlgrip line of paints in polyurethane is the way to go it can be sprayed or rolled. Gel coat is way to much work
Post some pics as you go

Attachments

#5 ·
What is wrong with the gelcoat that is on it right now? It can be buffed backed to like new. If you are just talking about nicks and chips, they can be filled, resprayed and buffed out. Anytime you spray gelcoat you have to spray PVA over it to get it to harden.

Fiberglass is easily painted. Clean, sand and prep, spray a coat of reduced epoxy primer as a sealer and finish with the automotive paint of your choice and be sure to add catalyst, for hardness and gloss.

Bodyshop supplies are not cheap, so get ready to spend some coin. In paint supplies, like everything else, you get what you pay for. :twocents:

#7 ·
Here's the end result: I tried to just buff out the outside of the hull, but it still looked pretty bad, since it was supposed to be a low budget project, I decided to just fix as many of the small issues with a gel coat repair kit and then paint with Rustoleum Topside paint- grey inside, white outside. To have used gel coat in and outside, it would have been over $500, and the paint was only about $100. Also sanded the whole trailer down and primed/painted with Rustoleum. Used Rustoleum bed liner on the fronts of the wheel wells to try to ward off the inevitable rock chips-put it on the roller at the end of the trailer, too since it was down to just rusty metal. New wiring and lights with extra back up lights. UHMW strips on the trailer contact points. It should work for my needs.... jonb

Attachments

#9 · (Edited)
That's a great little project, I keep looking for a glass DB that needs love. I read the post on Awlgrip, I agree that's it's the best paint out for shine, never wax and toughness. But that comes at a price with lots of prepping to end up with a successful result. I painted my Skipjack with Awlgrip, love the performance of it and will always use it on future projects. As a ballpark estimate, you can count on 400. a gallon for the primer depending on if you go with a three part or a 4 part formula and what primer you need. Same with the top coat, estimate around 400.00 a gal. also depending on conditions and desired results. Enjoy your sled, thanks for sharing,,,gregg

#11 ·
Looks fabulous! I am a big fan of Rustoleum projects for their ease of application and they hold up pretty well in salt/brackish water. There are some better alternatives but they are pretty expensive expoxies plus hard to find (special order). Rustoleum is readily available in just about every city we do vessel work so has become my goto.

#13 ·
I used Rustoleum on a lot welding projects around here including several trailers, boat and flatbed trailers. It loses its shine pretty fast and doesn't resist scratching worth a sheet, but it's cheap and touch up are simple. I have used Interlux Topside paint on steel and glass. It can be brushed with a very good result by adding a leveling agent, spot touch ups are simple. It says above the waterline use, but it will work fine on any trailer boat that's not sitting in water for extended time. It shines and has some decent chip and scratch resistant for being a one part paint and a low cost compared to a 2 part epoxy. Interlux has a two part paint also, looks to be affordable but I have never used it myself,,,gregg

#12 ·
Looks great! Wish I would have kept the '76 widebody/guide model Lavro I had. All the steelhead runs dried up around here years ago for the most part, and the West side is a chit show (when I can get time off to go anyhow) so I moved it.

Maybe I need another project, once I get the new NR settled in?

Thanks for sharing!

#14 · (Edited)
This is one of several hardeners available for oil based paints, including Rustoleum. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/majic-catalyst-hardener-clear-half-1-2-pint

I am starting the paint job an my project boat using Pettit Easypoxy and rustoleum paint and have ordered the catalyst/performance enhancer that Pettit has for their single part paints.

After some research, I'm seeing only good reports about adding these hardeners. I'll know more about it in a week or two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.