IFish Fishing Forum banner

Are you clamming this weekend?? Don't bring the wrong car for beach access

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  StrawberryMTN 
#1 · (Edited)
The sand is deep at Clatsop Beach access points. Without the proper vehicle you will be digging your car and and not clams. Saw numerous folks, left and right, strand themselves on our way in and out this morning. We did tow out one truck who's 4wd had failed.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Cannon Beach and beaches north is where razor clams are accessible in ORegon. I think walking on at Seaside can be easy for a rookie although the clams at that beach are very small as it is picked pretty hard.

It is fun. One of my favorite activities and good to eat.

#8 ·
We hit Del Ray this morning, the ruts were a little deeper, but no issues for the Tacoma. The sands should firm up when the rains hit.

Digging was a 6 out of 10 in the surf, but only a 4 in the dry for our crew.

#10 ·
I was at Sunset this morning. Started at about 5:20 and was finished at about 5:50 with a nice limit of mostly good sized clams and a couple smaller ones. Beautiful morning - but yes the beach access was pretty rutted up and lots of traffic coming in when I was leaving.

#11 ·
I've made the early morning trip to Del Ray the last two mornings. Thursday morning was quick clamming. Got my 15 as fast as I could dig them and was back home before the family was out of bed.

Today the whole crew went and we had our 4 limits in about an hour. Clams were deeper this morning, but still plenty around. It definitely kept the kids interested.

We had a mixed bag regarding size.

The beach was pretty busy this morning. I can only imagine what Saturday will be like.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#13 ·
I've always tried to start about an hour and a half before low tide. My drive there is about the same as you. Today low tide was right around 7am and we started clamming about 5:30. We were seeing clams as we walked down to the water this morning.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

#16 ·
It was easy today in front of Gearhart but there were lots of flotsam. Many people with dogs running loose, and newbies, which obviously makes it more difficult but still, if you just hit the volcanoes it was 30 minutes for a limit. Saturday should be interesting, fortunately I can go non weekend days.
Regardless, should be good for all. In my humble advice, go were there are a lots of old pulled holes and you'll find new shows after the crowd has left.

#18 ·
Well...I know why I go all the way to Long Beach ;)

That was my first time digging Oregon...5 small, 8 medium, 2 large. I must be a rookie because it took near 2 hours. I am sure others did much better! Staying in one place resulted more shows than moving hundreds of yards.

Got my limit...tough digging...real light on the shows. Got there at 6:20...I guess I should have left earlier...hundreds of people already out. All together...I tried going where there was less congregation.

Never have I been in a convoy at 5:00AM going to the coast lol. Some of those drivers...man.

I will still never understand why people bring their commuter vehicles onto the beach...When I left there was a blue Honda Accord stuck right at the entrance...lol. Also, I don't recall smelling as much pot in past clamming trips...lmao

Anyways...Happy with what was produced...More importantly I was able to get some Razors for my dad to cook up for Fathers Day. He loves em. Dog had a good time fetching the ball, after clamming...headed in and ate at the Sand Trap...outside...was getting a sunburn! Finished up right when the first sprinkle started...Poured most of the way home.

This was Del Ray and North.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.