IFish Fishing Forum banner

Drew the Statewide Antelope tag. Advice?

10K views 46 replies 32 participants last post by  BrianMaguire 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I hope you're all doing well.

While taking a much needed getaway in Eastern Oregon over the weekend, and out of cell range, my phone blew up with messages when I got back into range asking if I had purchased raffle tickets for antelope. Indeed I had, though never expecting to actually be selected. After driving to a town that had internet service I checked my entries and sure enough, right there in black and white my number got called. I was in disbelief, and still am. I definitely would not consider myself a lucky person, but even a blind squirrel happens upon a nut every now and again I suppose.

I'm writing to seek advice on this tag, from those of you who have had a tag like this before, know someone who has, or have insight or tips regarding the hunt and expectations. I realize that many might put pressure on themselves to take the biggest animal in the state of Oregon, but in all honesty that's where my head is at on any hunt, even this one. As I've gotten older, I value the experiences and memories more than size of horn or antler. Obviously, I would be lying if I said I didn't want to tag a big goat, but it's not the end-all, be-all.

I will undoubtedly scout, but I don't have time to devote my entire summer and fall traveling the countryside to find "the one." If anything I think that only adds to the pressure one might feel towards taking an animal of specific size. I have some connections and folks who can provide intel on goats and keep an eye on their whereabouts, and will rely on their help throughout scouting and the hunt. I have direct, and indirect experience hunting antelope in the following units: Malheur River, Maury, Owhyee, Whitehorse, and West Beatys. I've been to Hart Mt several times, but only for recreation, not hunting. Some tell me that it's "not what it used to be" or that the antelope there aren't the biggest, but again, that's not really a high priority. Hart Mt, the Beatys units, Warner and Juniper are on my radar, though I'm obviously receptive to any and all units that would make for a memorable hunt.

If any of you would be willing to share intel, advice, photos, resources or any information that would make this hunt memorable for me and my family who will be joining me I'd be forever indebted. Feel free to P.M.

Thanks in advance, and take care.

Nate Parker

See less See more
#5 ·
Congrats!! What a sweet surprise that must have been! With an Aug. 1 tag date, you should have the pick of the litter for the bucks in the state. I am nothing more than your average every 8-12 year antelope hunter. I do know if it was my tag I would be focusing on Warner, Beaty's and Hart Mt. But I am sure, You will have lots of help from others that know the herds and specific bucks to locate.

Good luck and have fun!

#7 · (Edited)
I'd be spending most of my time in September if it we're me. Just find big herds of does and check them regularly. The biggest antelope i have seen in SE are almost always in September. The average Oregon hunter does little to hurt the trophy forkenhorn population :).

Plus you can get some decent intel from the guys who already screwed it up.

I'd be looking at the Warners, Beattys, Hart, Interstate, and Juniper. I don't think this year is going to be the best horn growth year on account of how wet it is..

#8 ·
One place I would start. Get up on Beatys Butte at dawn. Glass 360deg. Repeat on the other Buttes spotted from there. Same in Juniper unit. Go to highest area, Glass. Sheepsheads repeat. Look at the high flats with good water. Every great Antelope Buck I have seen not on an alfalfa field. Have all been up high. Better food, good cooling breezes, Cleaner water, better observation areas for them to watch their domain.

#9 ·
I wish I had something more to offer than good luck so good hunting to you!! But it sounds like you already have the right mindset to have a great adventure and hopefully tag a super buck. Be sure to take lots of pictures - antelope hunts are always going to be fun

#11 ·
Thanks for all of the above advice so far.

I'm leaning towards making Hart the epicenter of the my search and branching out from there to other units. I've seen some really nice goats in very unsuspecting units though, so I'm definitely not going to get too attached or fixated on one place/unit.

#17 ·
I have nothing to add as far as info goes, but I did want to say CONGRATS!!!

Keep us posted with pics!

-jokester

#18 ·
Congrats!

This is probably my single most favorite part of Ifish....following along on these types of hunts, from tag draw to harvest!

Keep us in the loop during the process!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#19 · (Edited)
Congrats.......

All I can add is some info pertaining to our hunt last season in the Steens and some reports about the Juniper unit......

We had 3 Steens tags last season and only filled 2 of them. We killed 1 opening morning out around the Round Barn area the I got mine the following Monday out south/east of Diamond. We found that the antelope were really spread out in smaller groups I think because there was so much water it didn't concentrate them. We hunted hard to fill our 3rd tag but just couldn't find anymore other than a really small 8-9 incher on the evening of the last day that we decided to not pursue.

We stayed at the Narrows RV park and there were about half the people hunting the Juniper unit staying there as well. Of those hunters, they seemed to have had better success than we did. Saw a few really nice bucks taken from those hunters, some around 14-16 inch.

I had Sewell's in Burns do my mount and when we went into town to drop off my buck he showed us one someone had gotten out of the Silvies unit that was an absolute stud. If I remember correctly, it measured out real close to 19 inches on both sides with really good mass and nice cutters. Sewell said, in all the years he's been doing taxidermy it's the largest he's seen.

Hope this info helps some, good luck....

#21 ·
Don't know a dang thing about antelope units in your state, but start studying up on field judging 'lopes. They can be one of the toughest horned critters to judge. Mass/length above the cutters is important! Sounds like you've got the Willie Wonka ticket, good luck.

#25 ·
Something like this Roy, but even he doesn't make the book...............

#28 · (Edited)
Are those double prongs? Or horn sheaths that didn't fully shex3 from the previous year?

I saw a pic of one from NV with 3 sets of sheaths on his head.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

#34 ·
Congrats and just read, and re-read willametteriveroutlaw's post. It is pretty much exactly what I was going to say as far as units and timing. I would maybe extend that into the first week of October, too. Just look at the units, then look at the seasons that are going on, and give yourself some undisturbed animals. If you go late, check them carefully to make sure they have both prongs, but other than that, just go have a blast! I would do archery at a waterhole myself, but probably bring a rifle lol. DS

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.