IFish Fishing Forum banner

Can We Go To The Beach Yet?

7K views 89 replies 35 participants last post by  Pinstriper 
#1 ·
Are the beaches opening up to public access? I was thinking of hitting somewhere between Depoe Bay and Newport for surfperch like next weekend but I'm a little unclear on the state of things. And yes I have done some googling on the subject but I have seen conflicting reports.

#7 ·
As a matter of fact that's exactly where I was thinking. Barring any conflicts that may appear in my personal schedule I think I will just head out there. It's supposed to be heating up in the valley towards the end of next week anyway so the coast would perfect for a day trip.

#15 ·
Has everyone figured out that Covid19 is total bunk yet? Or do you need more data?
105,000+ deaths attributed to the virus in the US in just the last 3 months. Probably many thousands more killed by the virus and mistakenly recorded as heart failure, pneumonia or other unrelated causes.
What I have figured out is this country is filled with idiots that have no respect for authority, believe whatever conspiracy theory that gets floated, and are perfectly willing to put their family, friends, and whatever strangers they encounter at risk of death just so they can behave as if there's no public health crisis.

#25 ·
How many words can I use?
2017 Death stats. US CDC website (2018 very similar)
• Heart disease: 647,457
• Cancer: 599,108
• Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
• Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
• Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
• Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
• Diabetes: 83,564
• Influenza and pneumonia: 55,672
• Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,633
• Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Comorbidity factors CDC website
• Asthma
• Chronic kidney disease being treated with dialysis
• Chronic lung disease
• Diabetes
• Hemoglobin Disorders
• Immunocompromised
• Liver disease
• People aged 65 years and older
• People in nursing homes or long-term care facilities
• Serious heart conditions
• Severe obesity
Could we assume that a huge number of the reported 104,000 deaths have happened to people in the above cause of death list?

My last post about this. I won't try to convince anyone who is defending their narrative. This site is supposed to be about fishing.

#20 ·
Well, just got back from Moolack. No perch for us today. The weather definitely wasn't fantastic but it wasn't that cold or even windy, just good old Oregon damp. Was still nice to get out on the beach, and we were able to do it without getting even remotely close to other people because beaches are huge.

#21 ·
Don't give up on the perch. Once you find them, they are hotte biters and come back even after you sting them!

Best bait I have ever worked with is a sand crab (the kind that you find digging on the beach) although I enjoy sand shrimp as a good bait also.

Never hurts to run two hooks. Bottom one with a bait and the next one up, but a small shrimp fly or similar pattern. This is helpful when they are biting fast as sometimes your rig barely hits the bottom and they strip off the bait. If you got the fly on there, you still might get them to come back.

:thisbig:

#27 · (Edited)
Planning to hit the bridge/pier area for clams this weekend myself. So far clamming is the only type of wild game harvest in which my fiancé has been willing to participate, so I'll take what I can get! I guess the resulting endorphins from the exertion of digging combined with the eventual meal of delicious shellfish linguini made a lasting impression on her.

Tide is supposed to be right at 0 if I'm recalling correctly so it should be a decent day. We'll just have to get our rear ends out of bed nice and early and brew a strong pot of coffee.

#32 · (Edited)
So, this was looked at:

It’s a throwaway comment that’s been made by those accusing governments of overreacting to the coronavirus crisis, that most COVID-19 deaths are occurring in people who would have soon died anyway.

So Dr. David McAllister and colleagues decided to measure the estimated number of years of life lost as a result of COVID-19.

According to their analysis, men are losing, on average, 13 years of their lives, and women, 11 years.

Even after accounting for high blood pressure, diabetes and other common chronic conditions found in people dying of the pandemic virus, death from COVID-19 resulted in more than a decade of life lost per person, the analysis shows, similar to the years of life lost from heart disease.

From here:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nation...-decade-of-life-on-average-analysis-shows/amp

#34 ·
And yet, people keep parroting this garbage. I must say, I'm almost shocked that so many people are willing to make a public statement like that. Don't they realize what it says about them?

I would not wish for my worst enemy to be screwed out of a decade plus of life. (well, maybe a one or two) It ain't like we get a do over.

Hmmm, Thirteen years? Thirteen of the best years, the very years when I don't have to go to work and get to pretty much anything I want. The years I earned by working my butt off for 50+ years? The best years of my life?, Gone in a heartbeat...…. Versus......Dying an agonizing, tortured death, struggling for each fraction of a breath, feeling essential parts of my body shutting down from oxygen deprivation, one after another, knowing I'm screwed, Stuck in some room isolated to protect others, to finish dying and be wheeled to the refrigerator truck??

Not exactly the Viking funeral I have always imagined. No burning boat?....No thanks.....Maybe I'm selfish, but it seems like a bad deal to me.

#36 · (Edited)
That’s true, I have watched friends get cut away on for years with diabetes, and cancer is not a very nice way to go....the year I retired , 5 fellow employees and friends died of cancer. It was the reason I left my job....

My mom died Feb 8th, on a ventilator ( before they started counting covid). I don’t think she had it, but she would have been listed as a covid death under today rules. So I have a personal attachment to deaths at this time.

I was with her as they poked needles everywhere, I had left her about midnight, but couldn’t sleep so at 4 am I went back to ICU. She has so exhausted, and I took her hand and told her , “ Mom you need to get some rest, you have not closed your eyes for 2 day”. She pasted away at that moment, they restarted her and asked what she would want them to do... and I said she made it clear in her medical directive, when there is no hope....let her go.
They pulled the vent tube and I held her till she was gone.

I understand exactly how it is.......it sucks!

Now on the flip side....
Like you I had worked, saved, and planned for life after retirement. I have only so many years myself. If I got it, the odds are I will survive, even though I have asthma, to fat, 64 yo, and high blood pressure.....
I don’t like this virus, but it’s just one of a million ways that could shorten my life.
House fire, falling of the roof, heart attack packing elk, boat sinks, cancer, car wreck....and the list goes on....
What my biggest fear is, planning and working my whole life to this moment and then being in lock down..... especially when the stats are not correct, and the model were so very wrong.
I am not letting the fear of a virus, take away everything I have planned and worked for.......just can’t do it.

I will say for to those younger folks.....it doesn’t get better, the golden years are not that golden..... when I was poor and raising kids, those were the best years of my life. Don’t waste your years thinking tomorrow will be better.
Today I have no debt, nice place, good neighbors, best boat I ever had, and a good measure of health.
Yet, I didn’t anticipate the world going to *****, and I would give up the next 20 years for 5 years when I had rusty guns, a crappy 2 stroke, and a measure of control in my life.

I wish someone would have told me that....

#41 ·
That’s true, I have watched friends get
Yet, I didn’t anticipate the world going to *****, and I would give up the next 20 years for 5 years when I had rusty guns, a crappy 2 stroke, and a measure of control in my life.

I wish someone would have told me that....
Which may explain why I prefer to live with my rusty guns, crappy 2stroke and a measure of control over my life.

Please notice that I have not mentioned a word about the economy, employment or anything political except a generality of which way my beliefs tend to lean.

What I so bluntly stated was perhaps a knee jerk reaction to the post I questioned and quite likely I lumped it in with the other posts of a similar nature, but it seemed time for a graphic rebuttal to make some people realize what they are saying.

Unfortunately, I don't have the answers, which isn't easy for a problem solver to accept. My personal beliefs lean quite strongly toward resuming life more like the old normal than what folks are calling the "new normal'. My objection was and is to the general ideology that since we are going to die anyway that it doesn't matter how or when we die.

I too am arrogant enough to think I will brush off Civid like every other bug I've been exposed to. It is possible, considering I haven't even had the Flu.

As selfish as I am though, even if I was immune, I would have to respect the rights of those less fortunate.

I don't like current trends of minimizing the success of the last several months of distancing and other measures. To rewrite that history would be a guarantee that nothing is learned by the response debacle that has kept us locked down this long. We don't have to look hard to find a dozen examples that have avoided much of our fate.

Hell yes, we need to get on with it, open up, resume life. We could have been well on the road to recovery by now. What's done is done, but only by accepting that response mistakes were made, and that the extent of draconian restrictions still in place are a result of inadequate preparation and response can we learn from them and take the steps to avoid the same fate next time.

Rewriting history to avoid responsibility and blame ensures that little is learned from this. Around the world, though, others ARE learning from our response and will be ready next time...…………….

#37 ·
I generally can't understand how people don't get that by your actions you can give this to a bunch of people including kids. Understand confirmation bias and you can understand how you get to where you are. We hear what we want, to justify our behavior. In the beginning people here we arguing a point that we wouldn't get to 100k deaths, now where are we? Everyone is going to do what they do. I just hope you dont kill off a generation of your family because of cavileer motives. Be safe and please report how it felt to have and then survive the virus. There have been a bunch of people whos narratives have changed after they got the virus and could no longer see family or anyone but the health care worker, who they are now endangering too. Very lonely place in their words.

#39 · (Edited)
Honestly? We should all shut up, and just bottle up our feelings and thoughts about this and re-deploy them in several months. The serum antibody studies they've been doing in Corvallis are bracing when you grok (love that word) what they really mean. Guys... we aren't somehow immune in oregon, or anything of the sort. We are LUCKY. Lucky that we shut it down when we did. The serum studies show virtually zero exposure in the Corvallis area. Other than Multnomah, the brutal truth is that we have not yet experienced this epidemic in oregon. We've experienced the societal impacts of the shutdown, yes, but the epidemic itself is a hypothetical in Oregon.

That cannot and will not last. We'll get our turn in the crucible.

I say, enjoy the summer, get what yaya's you can... and gird your loins for what's coming. This whole thing gets much, much worse before it gets better. On all levels. You think society is coming apart now? Wait 6-9 months. Oh, and we get an election in there. Good, GOOD times ahead.

ETA: for the "minimizers"... we will hit 200k dead by the end of August. Nitpick the numbers all you want. This is as real as it gets.

#52 ·
Other than Multnomah, the brutal truth is that we have not yet experienced this epidemic in oregon.
I say, enjoy the summer, get what yaya's you can... and gird your loins for what's coming. This whole thing gets much, much worse before it gets better. On all levels. You think society is coming apart now? Wait 6-9 months. Oh, and we get an election in there. Good, GOOD times ahead.

ETA: for the "minimizers"... we will hit 200k dead by the end of August. Nitpick the numbers all you want. This is as real as it gets.

Not sure I am a "minimizer" but more of a realist. Where do you get all of this doomsday precognition? As far as I can tell no one seems to really know which way this is going. I am so tired of doomsday story telling or false statements to scare folks. With out a solid understanding of this virus nothing can be said. And I really don't think anyone has a good understanding of where we are headed. There has been information(true or false)on many threads leading to speculation and worry.

<h3 class="LC20lb MMgsKf">Chicken Little- The Sky is Falling - YouTube

</h3>https://www.youtube.com › watch

#40 · (Edited)
Joe, what I like about you is your honest and you speak your mind.
Don’t feel alone, God, I made some knot head decisions in my life, but as you, they brought burdens on myself , not others.

If ever asked what I wanted in life... the answer was alway “to be free”...Not rich, not popular, but to have a measure of control over my life, views, and values, to live and die on my terms as long as it doesn’t hurt others, .....well that got all shot to hell.

These last few years I have come to like dogs, more than people..... and from the news lately, there is a good reason why.

#42 ·
I can't imagine being confined to an old folks home as an invalid would provide the kind of life I'd want to endure. For the time being, I'm set on not acquiring those underlying medical conditions that in the end are the leading causes of premature death, not the virus. (Only three people in the state have died so far without diagnosed underlying medical conditions.) The bad part is the agony one must suffer to reach that end because of the virus. I have plenty of empathy for those who's underlying medical conditions are not self induced, like heredity and injury. For many, it's kind of like being the dealer in a poker game and dealing yourself a losing hand. We can't shuffle the cards one more time and replay the hand.

#43 ·
I guess the whole concept of an existence in an old folks home is hard to visualize, and what I see wouldn't work for me. It just hasn't happened in my family.

Not sure how I would react, but if that was my fate and I had no say or control of the situation, I would likely get that Viking funeral, even if I had to light the fire myself.

#45 ·
I'm a supporter of people making their own risk assessments when it comes to Covid. I traveled to Vegas in early March before we knew the extent of Covid. While I was there is when it became clear there was a problem. When I came back, I was very careful not to risk the spread.

However, as of now, there have been around 4,000 confirmed cases in Oregon. That's approximately 0.1% of our population. For me, the risk is extremely low, both in contracting Covid and in having complications from it. I do however make sure that anyone that I might come into contact with knows what my exposure risks have been and respect any decision they make to spend time or not spend time with me. I'm mostly limiting my social interactions to family.

I had a talk with my sister today who wasn't happy that my mom didn't want her to come visit next month. My sister plans to travel from California to the Washington coast and stay in a house with people from multiple states next month. She wanted to then spend a few days with my mom. My response was that I though it was up to my sister, who's in her 30's, to make her own risk assessment to travel, but she needed to be extra cautious when it comes to those in the high risk categories. I'm not sure how well she listened, but I know she won't be welcome at my mom's house until she's at least 2 weeks removed from that type of travel. Frankly, that's just not an acceptable risk for my mom. If my sister wanted to drive up and see mom before her trip with friends, that might work, but if she wants to fly, no way.

I have been limiting my exposure to any elderly people (in my work, I see many elderly people). I have simply not been seeing them, or if their is an urgent need, I make arrangements to be as safe as possible. Covid is dangerous for those over 60 and extremely deadly for those over 80.

To me, its up to those in the high risk groups to make sure they stay as isolated as possible, and it's up to the rest of us to respect that. I don't think that means we can't open the beaches back up.

I encourage everyone to look at the actual data from the OHA when making their own risk assessments. The reports are as detailed as giving zip codes for those infected. Here is a link to their daily and weekly updates. https://govstatus.egov.com/OR-OHA-COVID-19 I've mostly been following the weekly updates and what stands out to me is that we need to protect the elderly. If you have an elderly family member or neighbor, make sure you provide support for what they need. If they are over 80, they should not be going out to the grocery store, or anywhere else for that matter.

I feel so bad for those who are in adult care facilities. At a time in their lives when they need their families the most, the are not allowed to have visitors. Given just how deadly this is for the elderly, I don't see that changing anytime soon.

I'm sorry that this post ended up being longer and more rambling than I intended. This is a complicated subject and none of us have all the information we need as there are many things we still don't know about Covid.

#46 ·
Thanks for the link, I have been watching some others.

I have always felt it is all relative to a individuals circumstances, I live in Jackson county, population 221,000....69 covid cases, 59 recovered, 10 being monitored, and zero deaths (fingers crossed).
Very little isolation, people rubbing elbows everyday... a lot of restaurants closed in house dining, outside of that all supply stores are open...Lowe’s, sporting goods, gardening and so on. Maybe 1 in 20 have a mask.
When I was in town today, (grocery store, Bi mart, the grange) , I was really surprised how many real folks were out, and hardly any had a mask.

This is the reality I see everyday....not much to worry about....

If I lived in NY , I would have been dug in a hole like a rat....but it’s not the case.

#69 · (Edited)
:applause:

Me too.

Over morning coffee my dad and his buddies would say they were "solving all the world's problems." A cribbage board was generally present.

Rather, we'll meet at midnight, listen to AC/DC and plan to rent a back hoe and dig a fishing pond out back before the staff discovers what we've done.

But, I only posted to say I agree with Joe @ #38...
A full generation of leading the radically germophobic lives so many are embracing would devastate the immune system. Even a year of leading the sterile life, without the constant exposure to the millions of germs, toxins, molds and other allergins that are the results of hugs, handshakes, kisses, dirty hands and other filthy human habits and needs will empty our bodies of all the healthy antibodies that protect us, minute by hour, from the environment we have evolved to thrive in. Strange as it sounds, humans need filth to survive and thrive on our filthy planet. Sure, it is possible that we could survive without filth, as long as we eliminate all other forms of life, which couldn't be a good thing.
Although, I can't watch documentaries about microscopic critters crawling all over me. They give me the 'creeps.'

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.