IFish Fishing Forum banner

Merwin 2020

110K views 455 replies 90 participants last post by  skunkedalot 
#1 ·
Happy New Year everyone! Looking forward to seeing all those catches and information sharing. Here’s to another great year, fat fish and full limits!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

See less See more
#3 ·
1st Saturday of the new year!
Bite was good early, then pooped out at 8:45 ish, then finished 2 man limit
at about 10:45. Surface to 30ft down, 100ft setbacks. 7 and 15 ft were good for me.
We were the first boat and arrived to an unlocked gate at 6:00.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Made the most of the few hours in the morning yesterday before the wind picked up. It poured on us all morning.I was last boat to pull into the lot around 8 (5 other trailers) and I was the first to pull out after getting my limit at 10:30. Went 10-13 and had a great morning. Size 16 shoe pictured for reference.
Thank you gentlemen for the report and pictures, I can hardly wait for my next free day to give this a try. This will be my first time/year fishing for kokanee and operating my own boat (15ft Smokercraft Alaskan w/ 15hp Honda). I have been collecting rods, reels, and tackle since December 1st and I now have what I think I need.

Any suggestions for a first time boat owner/Kokanee fisherman?

#5 ·
Made the most of the few hours in the morning yesterday before the wind picked up. It poured on us all morning.I was last boat to pull into the lot around 8 (5 other trailers) and I was the first to pull out after getting my limit at 10:30. Went 10-13 and had a great morning. Size 16 shoe pictured for reference.

Attachments

#6 ·
Great report boatbuddy

#14 ·
I learned a lot of stuff reading the Merwin threads from years past.
I do the tuna cure from guide Sam Baird that is on YouTube. Hideous video but the cure works. Then after the early morning bite dies off we start dipping our cured corn in stuff like bloody tuna and shrimp/krill, trophy trout, garlic bloody tuna etc, and that seems to help also.

#15 ·
Denneroll,
after the morning bite slows, thanks for your changing scents advice.

After you change scents, do you find any consistency?

Or does it seem like the various scents attract kokes like when we were kids at the movie matinee, some like Good n Plenty, others want the Jujyfruit.

At times, I've used shoe peg corn with out any scent on one rod and that catches 2 or 3. So I mistakenly concluded that scent was the least important of all the variables: speed, depth, dodger, hoochie or Brad's kch; length of leader.

Again thanks for your help.
Lately how much line have you been using when flatlining?

#18 ·
We have staying around 100ft back. Doing the rule of 100 thing. 5 down, then 95 back etc. Haven’t seen any morning jumpers yet and they are still at various depths it seems. All this rain and then snow melt might bring them to the surface. You can’t see them on a fish finder and that’s when 150 and farther back comes into play.

#16 · (Edited)
Here’s my lesson. Take it or leave it
I used my gain to find the thermocline which was 30-35’ down Fished 8-2 and ended the day with 8 (no dinks) all from 30-40’ down 75’ setback lost 5-6 very light bites - in fact 2 I only knew they were on when I saw a fish constantly jumping behind the boat. So just because it’s January doesn’t mean they’re always on the top. They would show up on my screen as small tight schools.

Attachments

#17 ·
Thank you again gentlemen for providing quality information! I will take the advice given and let you all know how it turns out.

How do you determine your speed? I have an older Hummingbird fish finder, but I do not see where it would show a speed. Other than what has been mentioned, do you have a favorite set up you would be willing to share (perhaps even a picture)?

#19 · (Edited)
Thank you again gentlemen for providing quality information! I will take the advice given and let you all know how it turns out.

How do you determine your speed? I have an older Hummingbird fish finder, but I do not see where it would show a speed. Other than what has been mentioned, do you have a favorite set up you would be willing to share (perhaps even a picture)?

There are a couple of speed apps you can get on your phone, just make sure they do tenths of MPH to get into that sweet zone. Here is a picture of a setup I use every time I go out. Never lets me down.

#36 ·
They are hammering the gear like I have never seen before. Going airborne, tail walking, head shaking... like mini ****** off steelhead! Ohh I love it. Right now hands down my favorite fishery. Oh bring the boat heater cause it’s damn cold, especially when the wind picks up. GL to everyone!!!

Merwin was windy today! Managed 30 despite the wind, see face to 18' got bit anytime I could keep my speed below 1.4.

Denneroll, I followed your advice and cured my corn with Pautzke FireCure like the unusual YouTube video by the guide showed how.

Today, twice I had doubles on. Down by Woodland Park, the top 5' of water. Arrow gold or moonglow chrome with D-V hot pink squid. Bloody tuna scent and garlic scent spritz. ESE wind all day. Water is about 42 F.; clarity excellent.
Again, thanks.
The pictures and reports are killing me, but please keep posting them! My maiden voyage on Merwin keeps getting pushed back because of projects at the house.

#28 ·
They are hammering the gear like I have never seen before. Going airborne, tail walking, head shaking... like mini ****** off steelhead! Ohh I love it. Right now hands down my favorite fishery. Oh bring the boat heater cause it’s damn cold, especially when the wind picks up. GL to everyone!!!

#33 ·
Great report

#34 ·
Denneroll, I followed your advice and cured my corn with Pautzke FireCure like the unusual YouTube video by the guide showed how.

Today, twice I had doubles on. Down by Woodland Park, the top 5' of water. Arrow gold or moonglow chrome with D-V hot pink squid. Bloody tuna scent and garlic scent spritz. ESE wind all day. Water is about 42 F.; clarity excellent.
Again, thanks.

#41 ·
I was out there today. Tough fishing, we took home 15 for 4 rods, but those 15 came in a two hour window mid morning when we found a small school to chase around. All surface bites, didn't see a thing on the fish finder all day except very few schools near the surface.
About half the lake was brownish green, pretty turbid. Lots of debris out in front of speelyai, Waterfall area was clear though.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.