Ocean CR fishing reports - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-24-2018, 09:01 AM   #1
Soulakala
King Salmon

Default Ocean CR fishing reports

Opening day found us crossing the bar around 7:30 to mild sea, a little choppy but overall ok. Fishing off the condo's was at times a hang on experience then it would lay down. A lot of boats between the condos and north Long Beach in 35 to 60 FOW. We had a few take downs there but nothing stuck. Then like an exodus the charters blasted north and from the chatter on the VHF sounded like a bite up near Klipsan area. Since we had planned only to be out until noon a trip up north was out of the question. So headed south on a slow troll, until that is we hit a huge area of kelp. Wife"s pole goes down, she yells big fish on. That big fish was a 20 ft section of kelp. Powered up and went west to 85 FOW dropped gear in some bird activity and 10 minutes later put a very nice 14 lb plus Chinook in the box. Nothing more and only two other boats working the area so we headed in and on our way pulled our single crab pot. We had dumped it on our way this morning. Holly cow that old Danielson pot was stuffed full with even riders on top. Lots of females but 11 very nice crab went into the box. I'm now convinced that the crab bait cocktail I made up last fall helped fill the box. Not a bad day, back at the dock, boat tied up and cleaned by 12:45. Any time you have a Chinook to fillet out and share plus crab for dinner its a great day.

Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #2
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Default Re: Ocean CR fishing reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulakala View Post
Opening day found us crossing the bar around 7:30 to mild sea, a little choppy but overall ok. Fishing off the condo's was at times a hang on experience then it would lay down. A lot of boats between the condos and north Long Beach in 35 to 60 FOW. We had a few take downs there but nothing stuck. Then like an exodus the charters blasted north and from the chatter on the VHF sounded like a bite up near Klipsan area. Since we had planned only to be out until noon a trip up north was out of the question. So headed south on a slow troll, until that is we hit a huge area of kelp. Wife"s pole goes down, she yells big fish on. That big fish was a 20 ft section of kelp. Powered up and went west to 85 FOW dropped gear in some bird activity and 10 minutes later put a very nice 14 lb plus Chinook in the box. Nothing more and only two other boats working the area so we headed in and on our way pulled our single crab pot. We had dumped it on our way this morning. Holly cow that old Danielson pot was stuffed full with even riders on top. Lots of females but 11 very nice crab went into the box. I'm now convinced that the crab bait cocktail I made up last fall helped fill the box. Not a bad day, back at the dock, boat tied up and cleaned by 12:45. Any time you have a Chinook to fillet out and share plus crab for dinner its a great day.
Nice report and chinook. Were they selling bait at the floating dock at Ilwaco? Thanks.

Last edited by jacksalmon; 06-24-2018 at 09:09 AM.
jacksalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
Chukarhead
Tuna!

We had a nice morning 6/23, two souls on the Soleil Ray. A little choppy but totally fishable. Our first fish hit a fresh anchovy before I could get a second rod in the water, roughly even with the North Head Lighthouse in 40 FOW. That one came unpinned, and it took another half hour or 45 minutes and a couple of shaker kings before we put a nice mid-teens king in the box. We hopped north a few times, worked from 30 FOW out to about 60, and then joined the charter fleet for the rodeo off Klipsan. We shook a couple, and lost a decent fish near the boat before we put another mid-teens fish in the box, caught on a brined cut plug 4' behind a Hot Spot. Having seen only one small silver all morning, we decided to go on a wild goose chase for bottomfish. Ended the day with the two kings, two hake, one sole, one arrowtooth (gently released to haunt someone else's dreams), and one lonely black rockfish.

A very fine day on the pond.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
Chukarhead
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksalmon View Post
Nice report and chinook. Were they selling bait at the floating dock at Ilwaco? Thanks.

The bait pens aren't operational yet. We ordered and picked up anchovies at Dockside Cannery, two doors down from the Ilwaco port office.
Chukarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:

Not finding any fresh Herring I bought a package of frozen blue label herring from Jacks Country Store. They worked out just fine in fact in the 50's and 60's fishing with Dad the only Herring was frozen. Only ended up using two baits as we switched to Brads and loaded them with Herring strips. Tomorrow we are at it again and the plan is for one rod running fresh Anchovie and one with a Brad loaded again with Herring.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:03 PM   #6
Tfresh
Steelhead

Nice reports! Did anyone fish near the CR buoy?
Tfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #7
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Woke up to a surprise opening day.. Dad there's like a lot of water in the boat!! Forgot to put the fish Locker plug in and the automatic bilge pump in the Whaler did not come on. Long story short we didn't cross the bar until 8:00am with one blown battery.
We trolled the usual spot in front of the condos before going far north to join the fleet. We then trolled south with the wind and the poles went off like crazy. I lost 5 in a row before my son stuck a smaller hatch chinook. I looked at my son and his face was green. It was very lumpy and he started to punch his card when I saw the fountain coming up and then all down the side of the boat. It was hard to leave the fish and head for the barn, but we can fish again. The pots showed massive numbers of females and one lonely male keeper on the way back. We also saw the Pelicans diving right in front of the light house and watched a guy net a chinook much closer to home. Ironically my son and I laughed hard about all the bad luck and he wants to go again soon. Mean while the Whaler is getting fitted with new batteries and wiring in Chinook. Hopefully Dale gets me on the salt soon. It's not always about bringing fish home but making memories with family that counts the most. Great weekend at the coast...fish are out there. Spending money (BOAT....Bust Out Another Thousand) and dreaming about the big one waiting for my son's line. Tight lines, hopefully more kings marching down from Westport. If anybody has Intel from up north that would be nice to hear.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:14 AM   #8
Soulakala
King Salmon

By the look of how many boats are sitting at Dale's facility it might be awhile unless he thinks its a quick fix. It was a little lumpy that day, a sort of sea that will get a lot of folks sick. I'm like you its not worth hanging around when someone starts chumming unless they insist to keep fishing.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:39 AM   #9
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
By the look of how many boats are sitting at Dale's facility it might be awhile unless he thinks its a quick fix. It was a little lumpy that day, a sort of sea that will get a lot of folks sick. I'm like you its not worth hanging around when someone starts chumming unless they insist to keep fishing.
Couldn't agree more, the older/wiser I get the more I appreciate those greasy pond days. I think this year's the year to watch the weather close and get out on the pond days. I get the feeling we're gonna see a hot summer meaning fog or??

Crossing my fingers about Chinook Marine. Dale is awesome and they do great work in my opinion... I wonder how many guys call and cry on the phone about their addiction? He probably feels like a counselor or priest this time of year....

If you get any good reports please pm me.. I'd like to make up for last trip with the boy.

Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockinson man View Post
Couldn't agree more, the older/wiser I get the more I appreciate those greasy pond days. I think this year's the year to watch the weather close and get out on the pond days. I get the feeling we're gonna see a hot summer meaning fog or??

Crossing my fingers about Chinook Marine. Dale is awesome and they do great work in my opinion... I wonder how many guys call and cry on the phone about their addiction? He probably feels like a counselor or priest this time of year....

If you get any good reports please pm me.. I'd like to make up for last trip with the boy.

Thanks

Our plans were to fish today but with the rain my wife was not into rain fishing today. So I'll pick up bait and brine it for tomorrow. Looks like the weather will break for the rest of the week.

With Dale having more help these days lets hope your boat is on a fast track. I've known Dale for over 40 years and he's worked on almost every boat I've owned. I can't even begin to add up checks I've written to Chinook Marine over the years but its a lot. I just wish Dale had a more scheduled approach to working on boats, but he tries to help everyone that comes in. Dales no spring chicken either and I'm sure one day he will call it officially retired. He tried that once with Jeff taking over the shop but that did not last too long. Jeff was one good outboard mechanic but he left for better opportunities and more family time.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:30 AM   #11
jokofish
Chromer

I fished Saturday 6-23. I was very encouraged by the huge numbers of bait balls that I was seeing on sonar, as well as showing on the surface. Also lots and lots of birds. Further We did catch a couple of coho with good size to them which is encouraging (sorry for sideways pic). We fished 3 lines from condos south to the North Jetty (30-125 fow) 10-25 pulls. lots of take downs until about 11 AM then it died off. We finished with 5 decent fish and released many small Chinook and a few native coho.. We fished mainly fresh anchovies from Gene at tackle time. As a note the anchovies fro Gene were really nice size overall so I am encouraged that the ocean may be fertile at the moment. The salmon we cleaned had stomach's full of bait fish. So lets keep our fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coho.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	703243  
Old 06-25-2018, 12:21 PM   #12
boatmanjf
Steelhead

We fished Sat and Sun. No Coho. Three nice Chinook, 18-22 lb. two came in 100’ one up north in 30’. The entire crew of the “Sea Brease” charter boat watched me loose a real nice one right at the boat. When it came unpinned, I heard a large crowd of aaaaawhhh, coming from behind us, turned around and saw “Sea Brease” about 30yrds off port. (Great...several people witnessed this)
Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM   #13
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmanjf View Post
We fished Sat and Sun. No Coho. Three nice Chinook, 18-22 lb. two came in 100’ one up north in 30’. The entire crew of the “Sea Brease” charter boat watched me loose a real nice one right at the boat. When it came unpinned, I heard a large crowd of aaaaawhhh, coming from behind us, turned around and saw “Sea Brease” about 30yrds off port. (Great...several people witnessed this)

I thought that was your boat headed north that day. You were not that far behind the charter fleet that moved also north Saturday.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM   #14
boatmanjf
Steelhead

Yea, the intel from the commercial fleet was not great, but best results were up north, charter guys heard the same. But our best fish were caught off bouy 1 in 100’
Old 06-25-2018, 06:17 PM   #15
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatmanjf View Post
Yea, the intel from the commercial fleet was not great, but best results were up north, charter guys heard the same. But our best fish were caught off bouy 1 in 100’
I saw some bird action when I was taking my green sea sick son in. Seemed very spotty closer to light house and 1, but I'm sure your gas bill was less than half of mine. I might start there this week if I get out. Thanks for the report.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:25 PM   #16
8knots
Tuna!

Got one of each on Saturday. It was nice to get out even with the morning bump on the water. Herring at 30' in 65 fow.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:12 AM   #17
Soulakala
King Salmon

We headed west yesterday but before crossing the wife was not happy with the lumpy conditions and as the saying goes happy wife happy life. I was in full agreement as the weather prediction had small craft warnings for the afternoon. So we turned east and went above the bridge to drag some anchovies. Lots of sturgeon up there as we saw several large fish jump. Marked a lot of fish in the blind channel but they refused to bite. We called it a day around 11:00 and headed back to the dock. By the time we got tied up the wind as predicted had come up and the river sheep had arrived.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:45 AM   #18
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
We headed west yesterday but before crossing the wife was not happy with the lumpy conditions and as the saying goes happy wife happy life. I was in full agreement as the weather prediction had small craft warnings for the afternoon. So we turned east and went above the bridge to drag some anchovies. Lots of sturgeon up there as we saw several large fish jump. Marked a lot of fish in the blind channel but they refused to bite. We called it a day around 11:00 and headed back to the dock. By the time we got tied up the wind as predicted had come up and the river sheep had arrived.

In your first post, you mentioned the VHF chatter sent everyone up to Klipsan. What channel(s) do most guys use out there off the Columbia? Thanks.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #19
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
In your first post, you mentioned the VHF chatter sent everyone up to Klipsan. What channel(s) do most guys use out there off the Columbia? Thanks.
Ch 68 but some not knowing will TRY to BS on 16 or 22A until the USCG chimes in telling them these are for hailing or emergencies.

There other channels for ship to ship communications on the VHF but I don't pay much attention to what channel as one radio is in scan mode. I listen but don't look to what channel is being used.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:35 AM   #20
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Ch 68 but some not knowing will TRY to BS on 16 or 22A until the USCG chimes in telling them these are for hailing or emergencies.

There other channels for ship to ship communications on the VHF but I don't pay much attention to what channel as one radio is in scan mode. I listen but don't look to what channel is being used.
Thanks, are you heading out tomorrow? Should be a decent day, if the forecast holds.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:56 AM   #21
steelbiten
Steelhead

I have a crew heading down friday to fish the weekend. The forecast looks like square seas at 6 to 7 foot combined. How do you guys feel about fishing in that? I'm in an 18' searunner.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:47 AM   #22
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Will be lumpy and not as nice a time for fishing but completely doable. Keep an eye on wind forecast and adjust accordingly. Running in against the wind can be unfun. I would be out in my 19' Arima with those forecasts. Just wearing a kidney belt for the ride in.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:23 PM   #23
steelbiten
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
Will be lumpy and not as nice a time for fishing but completely doable. Keep an eye on wind forecast and adjust accordingly. Running in against the wind can be unfun. I would be out in my 19' Arima with those forecasts. Just wearing a kidney belt for the ride in.

If we are able to get out, we will run North and come back with the wind. I was more worried about the 7 second duration, but it is now saying building to 12 seconds. May not be too tight friday.

Today

NNW wind around 13 kt. A slight chance of showers after 11am. WNW swell 4 to 5 ft at 8 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Tonight

NW wind 12 to 14 kt. Mostly cloudy. WNW swell 4 ft at 7 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Thursday
WNW wind 6 to 9 kt becoming SW in the afternoon. A slight chance of showers. W swell 4 ft at 7 seconds building to at 12 seconds . Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Thursday Night
W wind 6 to 9 kt. A chance of showers. W swell 6 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Friday
WNW wind around 7 kt. A slight chance of showers. W swell 5 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Friday Night
NW wind 5 to 10 kt. A slight chance of showers after 11pm. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday
NW wind around 9 kt. A slight chance of showers before 11am. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday Night
NW wind around 12 kt. Mostly cloudy. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Sunday
NW wind around 10 kt. Partly sunny. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves around 2 ft.

Last edited by steelbiten; 06-27-2018 at 12:26 PM. Reason: add forecast
steelbiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:19 PM   #24
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbiten View Post
If we are able to get out, we will run North and come back with the wind. I was more worried about the 7 second duration, but it is now saying building to 12 seconds. May not be too tight friday.

Today

NNW wind around 13 kt. A slight chance of showers after 11am. WNW swell 4 to 5 ft at 8 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Tonight

NW wind 12 to 14 kt. Mostly cloudy. WNW swell 4 ft at 7 seconds. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Thursday
WNW wind 6 to 9 kt becoming SW in the afternoon. A slight chance of showers. W swell 4 ft at 7 seconds building to at 12 seconds . Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Thursday Night
W wind 6 to 9 kt. A chance of showers. W swell 6 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Friday
WNW wind around 7 kt. A slight chance of showers. W swell 5 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Friday Night
NW wind 5 to 10 kt. A slight chance of showers after 11pm. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday
NW wind around 9 kt. A slight chance of showers before 11am. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves 1 to 2 ft.

Saturday Night
NW wind around 12 kt. Mostly cloudy. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Sunday
NW wind around 10 kt. Partly sunny. W swell 4 ft. Wind waves around 2 ft.

Thursday for sure, hopefully weather holds through afternoon Friday. Weekend looks rough, but will help keep the season open longer with less fish being taken from the quota

Last edited by Hockinson man; 06-27-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:31 PM   #25
MrsFinn-again
Steelhead

I'd be more worried about the tide than the wind. 8 ft. Ebb friday and Saturday morning. Bet the Coast Gourd has restrictions on the bar until noonish.
MrsFinn-again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 05:10 PM   #26
killemall
Steelhead

Crossed a good bar at 6:15 started way up north didn't touch a fish. Fished in front of lighthouse and between 3 and 1 had one drive-by all day. First time ever skunked on the ocean. Limited both Sat and Sun in front of condos. There was only two charters out today way up north never saw a net fly.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #27
8knots
Tuna!

Found one nice Chinook today out from Condos in 40 fow. Caught 3 coho in 95 fow with fins. Nice ocean conditions after about 9:00 when the wind really decreased.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:57 PM   #28
flatocean
Tuna!

our experience as well. Up north on the inside was dead. Also never saw a net fly. Moved outside off #1 and did get coho and number of shakers. Hope chinook are still there and were just off bite.
flatocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 PM   #29
troutfinder
Steelhead

Went 1 for 3 today. There was a crazy rip in 95 fow out from the condos and I was reeling in to clear grass and a chinook about ripped the rod out of my hands. What was bizarre is after crossed the rip the current was pulling the gear under the boat faster than we were trolling. What do you do in those conditions, I was perplexed. First time fishing the ocean since moving here and it was beautiful out.

Last edited by troutfinder; 06-28-2018 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Adding text
troutfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 PM   #30
luk diver
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutfinder View Post
Went 1 for 3 today. There was a crazy rip in 95 fow out from the condos and I was reeling in to clear grass and a chinook about ripped the rod out of my hands. What was bizarre is after crossed the rip the current was pulling the gear under the boat faster than we were trolling. What do you do in those conditions, I was perplexed. First time fishing the ocean since moving here and it was beautiful out.

Pretty much same report. Sloppy in am, 2 pots off Peacock Shoal had 1 legal male and a ton of shorts/females. Caught a chinook and a coho early and late morning got another chinook and decided to pull plug rather than catch/release for limits. Tried couple different rigs and finally hooking up on a VK-flasher with Crippled herring. Planning on fishing Saturday morning before the ITC Party. Same ripping current and just kept and eye on lines to keep out of prop and moved rods around to suit current direction.

Last edited by luk diver; 06-28-2018 at 08:51 PM.
luk diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #31
Soulakala
King Salmon

I was at the port and decided to watch the crew getting off a charter that had come in. Mind you it was nearly 3:30, long day for a charter. Of the 11 fisherman on board one had no fish, two had their limits of 2 fish and everyone else had nice 12-14 pound Chinooks. Not hot fishing by any means but it looked like happy fisherman getting off the boat.
Old 06-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #32
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Started Fridaywith everybody up north. Dead nothing going on then noticed my Honda kicker not peeing. Stuck a rod up the pee hole and nothing. So I picked up and ran west to a honey hole. Got 7 big sea bass then headed for Dale's Chinook marine. Nick and Bernie put her in a barrel and the Honda started peeing again. Those guys are hilarious telling me it's their secret touch.
I felt the south wind this morning and didn't go, but on the dock a deck hand told me they went just a little NW of one and did pretty well. After slow start by condos.
It's early, last year it opened July 1. Hopefully more fish next wee during crazy 4th.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	312
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	703691  
Old 06-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #33
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockinson man View Post
Started Fridaywith everybody up north. Dead nothing going on then noticed my Honda kicker not peeing. Stuck a rod up the pee hole and nothing. So I picked up and ran west to a honey hole. Got 7 big sea bass then headed for Dale's Chinook marine. Nick and Bernie put her in a barrel and the Honda started peeing again. Those guys are hilarious telling me it's their secret touch.
I felt the south wind this morning and didn't go, but on the dock a deck hand told me they went just a little NW of one and did pretty well. After slow start by condos.
It's early, last year it opened July 1. Hopefully more fish next wee during crazy 4th.
Lemon joy is about 9" long. These two hogs fought like chinook
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	420
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	703693  
Old 06-29-2018, 08:04 PM   #34
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Gonna take a couple girls out this weekend for some good luck, hope we find em.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:50 PM   #35
xplorz
Steelhead

I was out solo today (Friday) and was skunked for salmon but at least got two legal crab. Got a ******** of females and 90% of them were soft shelled. All the males were still hard (insert joke here). Good luck out there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
xplorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #36
10ozstinker
Coho

Consistently slow That's about it.
10ozstinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:10 PM   #37
luk diver
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ozstinker View Post
Consistently slow That's about it.
Agreed. Ended with 2 small jack chinook's. Checker said some boats were skunked and rest mostly small. Night and day from when we ran Thur with 3. Went to ITC party afterwards. That was limits all around.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:24 AM   #38
NetBender
Cutthroat

Fished Friday in front of the condos. One nice nook and lost one at the boat. All action was on the downriggers. Ran out to 1 on the way home. Pretty slow there too. Lost 1 small nook.
NetBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 05:58 AM   #39
Soulakala
King Salmon

I talked with a skipper from a Coho Charter said they almost limited everyone out. Since it was 3 i said wow long day; he said "these 9 hour fishing days back to back is tough". I didn't ask where he found fish knowing that answer might have been misleading at best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2018, 08:51 PM   #40
luk diver
Steelhead

Thur. party boats were mostly straight out 3m? from condos on that rip in 120'. Late morning half went close in to the condos and rest stayed scattered offshore. Most pulled and ran at proverbial 2pm bewitching hour.... so 3-fish limits? Way I read regs it's 2 salmonids with only one as adult chinook and clipped coho. They're catching steelhead????
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 PM   #41
Allwelded
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by luk diver View Post
Thur. party boats were mostly straight out 3m? from condos on that rip in 120'. Late morning half went close in to the condos and rest stayed scattered offshore. Most pulled and ran at proverbial 2pm bewitching hour.... so 3-fish limits? Way I read regs it's 2 salmonids with only one as adult chinook and clipped coho. They're catching steelhead????
3pm I believe he was referring to....charter boat quitting time
Allwelded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:30 PM   #42
Hank M
Fry

Was out in 40 fow on Sunday from Klipsan trolling south with 2 people total. One good hit and landed one 13 lb chinook around the condos for three hours. Bumpy conditions. Today too much wind. Will try again on Independence Day which is forecasted to be good conditions but an early start getting out.
Hank M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:05 PM   #43
Soulakala
King Salmon

Coming back from Astoria this morning around 11 ish I drove out on the Seaview beach approach and took a gander. Water looked ok, not great a random sheep popping up outside the break, but not one boat in sight anywhere. Not seeing anyone I will assume fishing is not red hot.
Old 07-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #44
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Coming back from Astoria this morning around 11 ish I drove out on the Seaview beach approach and took a gander. Water looked ok, not great a random sheep popping up outside the break, but not one boat in sight anywhere. Not seeing anyone I will assume fishing is not red hot.
You are definitely Mr. CR. Amazing that you saw no boats. That is not a good sign as you said.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:38 PM   #45
8knots
Tuna!

I was at the Ilwaco marina just a while ago for few minutes. I saw one charter unload with nice catches of chinook and coho. Looked like limits for all passengers. Much better than what I have been seeing the last week. Noticed the parking lot by the boat launch was pretty much empty so not many private small boats taking it on. Now if we can get the wind conditions to improve a bit.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:59 PM   #46
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8knots View Post
I was at the Ilwaco marina just a while ago for few minutes. I saw one charter unload with nice catches of chinook and coho. Looked like limits for all passengers. Much better than what I have been seeing the last week. Noticed the parking lot by the boat launch was pretty much empty so not many private small boats taking it on. Now if we can get the wind conditions to improve a bit.
Those charter captains sure know where to find/catch the fish. They do a lot better than most of the private boaters I see or hear from.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:34 PM   #47
luk diver
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwelded View Post
3pm I believe he was referring to....charter boat quitting time
Ok 3pm, I get it. Duh. Just assumed 3 'fish' as we saw boats pulling plug before then.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #48
Hook'd
Steelhead

Beautiful ocean this morning. Fishing is slow. Some coho around.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk
Hook'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 03:34 PM   #49
Soulakala
King Salmon

It was indeed a beautiful ocean today. We dropped lines just under the North Head Light and dragged anchovies with not even a drive by. We picked up and ran up Cranberry Approach area and started a westerly run. My pole went down and for maybe 5 minutes played a good fish only to have it unbutton a few feet behind the boat. Another 30 minutes and wifes pole goes down but that one came off before she could get the pole out of the holder. Nothing more for the day. We never saw a net fly and boats seemed to scatter after the initial grouping around the condos. At the port those who had made the run west to well outside the CR (300' fow) had some small Coho to show for it but no limits even those.

I can only say the wife packed an outstanding lunch and we had a great day on the water doing an H2O pick nick.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #50
Pelicano
Steelhead

seems like the prediction was right on as far as small swell,wind wave and patchy morning fog.Reading Soulakala other post regarding the grounding on the north side makes me wonder about just how dense patchy fog can be.I guess if your in the thick of it there is little comfort in the word patchy
Pelicano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:44 PM   #51
jacksalmon
Sturgeon

Quote:
It was indeed a beautiful ocean today. We dropped lines just under the North Head Light and dragged anchovies with not even a drive by. We picked up and ran up Cranberry Approach area and started a westerly run. My pole went down and for maybe 5 minutes played a good fish only to have it unbutton a few feet behind the boat. Another 30 minutes and wifes pole goes down but that one came off before she could get the pole out of the holder. Nothing more for the day. We never saw a net fly and boats seemed to scatter after the initial grouping around the condos. At the port those who had made the run west to well outside the CR (300' fow) had some small Coho to show for it but no limits even those.

I can only say the wife packed an outstanding lunch and we had a great day on the water doing an H2O pick nick.
After those reports from the opening weekend, it seemed like it might be a much better year than last. From the reports after the opening weekend, it seems like it might be about the same, or a little better. Seems like the charter captains are finding some.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #52
xplorz
Steelhead

Went out with the wife today. Dropped 3 crab pots in 40 fow out from Beards Hallow, then started to troll north. Picked up a nice chinook right away. 10 minutes later wifes pole goes down but we miss another chinook. Eventually we wind up about off 10th st approach in 100 fow for a hot coho bite that we just couldn't convert. Lot of hookups, nuttin in the net. Pulled the pots without a single crab. On the way in we cruised by the Coast Guard rescue on Benson Beach of a 22 Hewes Craft running aground. All four souls were saved and the CG heros pulled the boat off the grounding. Prayers to all involved.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
xplorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:33 PM   #53
wbolan
Coho

Got a late start today, fished from 11 until 3. Went north to klipsan Beach and found lots of bait and birds in about 60ft of water. Immediatley found a clipped coho and took about another hour and found another clipped coho. Had a couple of driveby's. Ran in front of the condos hoping for a chinook gave it an hour and went in. Nice day to be on the ocean.
wbolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #54
Proteus503
Chromer

Fished ~6am - 12:30pm today, started at lighthouse 25-40fow, had one coho drive by. Joined the fleet in front of the condos... nada.

Ran out to ~120FOW and started trolling in, started getting into fish around 90FOW. Fished a nice rip that developed out there around 9-10am and managed to put four in the bag... one nice coho, two average coho, one medium nook. Released a handful of jacks and native cohos, and missed a few more. We were running headless green label herring, no chovies.

The fish, bait, and birds all seem to be scattered... a couple here and there, but no big schools. Spotted and fished near a couple of porpoises but didnt see much bait on the finder. Glad to hear about good piles of bait up by Klipsan.

Any word from the CR buoy? We were just about to pull gear and head down there when we started getting into fish.

Maybe see ya'll out there Sunday / Monday depending on what the weather / wind does.
Proteus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:03 PM   #55
killemall
Steelhead

Fished south of CR buoy three miles 285 ft water. Chovies 9 to 16 pulls three rods limits before 11:30. Flat ocean only a few boats.
Old 07-06-2018, 09:13 AM   #56
8knots
Tuna!

One coho in the boat for us on yesterday's nice ocean. Looks worth a run a little south for a change. Thanks for that input.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #57
Soulakala
King Salmon

We are giving it a rest for a few days, but yesterdays wind was more than convincing to not untie the boat. I saw Coho return with only a few fish for their boat load of customers and the comment it was rough and ugly out there today. He said one charter called it a no go after hitting the bar. It must have been ugly as the charter boys were all coming in early afternoon without many fish.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:14 PM   #58
Big Game Fishing
King Salmon

I crossed the bar about 10 this morning and it was bumpy. Didn't have any good reports from anyone already out, so I plowed SW until it started to lay down.

Put the rods out in 265' and trolled south a bit before circling back North.

Finally got bit and started circling that area. Ended up with about a dozen chances, killed a small July coho, released a couple nice nates, lost a fewl near boat, one dink nook throwback, and a few drive bys.

All action came in flurries, including a double.

Hammond fish checker had 9 fish for 16 boats after checking ours.

Divers with chovies, and one rod pulling a spoon. All 5 got bit. 21-33 on counters.

Still not much bait or sea life out there. We did have an amazing encounter with a giant mola mola that was really curious about us. He swam right up to the side of the boat, splashed us with his giant fin, then bobbed up and down with mouth and eye out of the water checking us out.

Oh, and we hooked one of those brown and white diver birds on a chovie, reeled him in, got hook out of him, and released him mostly unharmed.

Ocean laid down to almost greasy flat.
Big Game Fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #59
flatocean
Tuna!

Just back after week away. Any hints or info on where to head. From what I've heard still sounds like a scratch.
flatocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #60
Soulakala
King Salmon

Patience they are coming, everything seemed late this year. Even the sturgeon showed up the last few days of our season and now there hot fishing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk