Help with Yellowstone planning, - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 10-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #1
fishrepellor
Chromer

Default Help with Yellowstone planning,

Hi!
Looking to do a road trip to Silverwood Theme park and then Yellowstone next August with the family and need help with the planning. I've been going off Google maps with the route and timing of the drive.
I will be towing a 33 foot travel trailer with my F-150 ecoboost.
Comfortable towing it. Just haven't done a long trip like this before with a trailer. Bend has been the furthest trip with this setup.

Here's the current plan.

1- Leave Hillsboro Sat Aug 1 morning around 8 am. Arrive at Silverwood around 7-8 pm. google says it's a 7-8 hour drive.

2- Leave Silverwood for Yellowstone Wed morning. arrive later that night. 8-9 hours drive taking I90 and 287. planning on staying at an RV park in West Yellowstone.

3-leave for home Sunday morning. 14-15 hour drive time per google.
Planning on an overnight stop somewhere in the middle. Boise? Baker City?
then Monday to finish the drive home.

Any advice or modifications to the current plan?

Thanks for the help!!

fishrepellor is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 02:12 PM   #2
24 on/ 48 off
King Salmon

Default Re: Help with Yellowstone planning,

Ha! Talk about crazy. I am planning pretty much the same itinerary. I will be watching this thread.
Old 10-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Just watched an hour long presentation of pix by an in law that just got back from there.
Haven't been there since I was too young to remember.
But gotta go see it again some day. And also "Coulters hell".
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2019, 02:40 PM   #4
sadiesassy
King Salmon

I do some traveling long distance with my 35 ft 5th wheel. . My experience:

You are going to West Yellowstone, I would avoid the north entrance since the road from there down towards west Yellowstone has been under repair the last 3 times I have been there. I do not think they ever complete it.

I have stayed at Yellowstone Grizzley - Best RV park - but make sure you book early and get a pull through. Their back in spaces are not that deep. I would take extra length electrical cord. BUffalo Crossings - basic place but the advantage is it is across the street from down town. There are other places - but I do not have experience

I would go on line and check their road repair tables and if you are going to the geiser - I would check the times.

I do not follow Google or other systems because it does not include gas / rest stops/ meals. Maybe you have that factored in . But I have learned to take breaks, stretching to keep me alert.

I come out of the south. SO my trip - I stop at Salt lAke City. And it is an easy drive from there I relaize you do not want to back track to SLC - Just time reference.

Last edited by sadiesassy; 10-03-2019 at 02:49 PM.
sadiesassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
uhmw
King Salmon

Tried to make it all the way back from yellow stone to Portland. Made it all the way to Arlington before I called it quits. Google thinks you can do 80 mph pulling your travel trailer so you have to add about 4 hrs to the estimate. Remember in august its like the African plain between Spokane and the Dallas even at night it can be hot and require plug in ac. I have also stayed at the camp ground in Umatilla by the marina on the way home. If at all possible go to the Lewis and Clark caverns. The guided tour by the park ranger through 2 miles of tunnel is spectacular and a great escape from the heat. The kids absolutely love it. The caverns are also a great place to camp and are on the way about 4 hrs from the park. You can watch elk heard on the surrounding ridges above the camp ground and fish in the near by stream.

Last edited by uhmw; 10-03-2019 at 03:45 PM.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 03:43 PM   #6
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadiesassy View Post
I do some traveling long distance with my 35 ft 5th wheel. . My experience:

First question where in Yellowstone are you going? West Yellowstone, The Lake? Because From the entrance to Yellowstone West gate to the lake can take a while during busy times. I would avoid the north entrance since the road from there down towards west Yellowstone has been under repair the last 3 times I have been there. I do not think they ever complete it.

I would go on line and check their road repair tables and if you are going to the geiser - I would check the times.

I do not follow Google or other systems because it does not include gas / rest stops/ meals. Maybe you have that factored in . But I have learned to take breaks, stretching to keep me alert.

I come out of the south. SO my trip - I stop at Salt lAke City. And it is an easy drive from there I relaize you do not want to back track to SLC - Just time reference.
Planning on staying at a RV site in West Yellowstone and visiting the typical sites with the truck. I definitely want to use the West entrance since I'm coming from Silverwood.

Thanks for the advice on the road checks and construction. I was planning on lots of wait time for traffic inside the park since it's probably their peak time for visitors.

I added 3 -4 hours of break/rest time on top of the google drive times to each destination.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:07 PM   #7
Brian304
Cutthroat

I took this trip with the wife and kids a few years ago with a 34 foot 5th wheel from Oregon. Similar route, 90 out of Washington. I agree with Sadiesassy, the Grizzly RV park is a great location and where we stayed at. Next to the west entrance, clean, and walk-able to the small town there.

There are some steep downgrade east of Coeur d' Alene so take it slow with the trailer and save your brakes. It is a beautiful drive so take some breaks so people can get out for a bit. The park is HUGE. Some of the attractions are 1.5-2 hours away due to low speed limits, traffic, and animals so be prepared.

Also, I had some good binoculars but wish I would have brought a spotting scope. There were some grizzly bears feeding on an elk up a hillside but they were probably about a mile away. Barely visible with the binos. Luckily, someone else let the kids watch them for a bit through their spotting scope on a tripod. Also saw some wolves but they were a long ways away as well. Worth borrowing one if you need to.

It's a great place to take the family, I only wish I had more time to hit Glacier and the Tetons while I was in the area.

Last edited by Brian304; 10-03-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Brian304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
jmg
Ifish Nate

I would do Hwy 287 off I90 down through Ennis (might as well stop at the gun store there), then on down to West Yellowstone. Upon leaving I would do Hwy 20 west out of West Yellowstone down through Island Park to Idaho Falls and then Pocatello. Then on towards Boise. Done that trip before with a travel trailer although I did it in reverse of what you're looking to do.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian304 View Post
...a spotting scope.
+1
Old 10-04-2019, 12:58 PM   #10
Captain Kirk
Chromer

We always turn south off of 90 at Butte or Whitehall and go through Virginia City and come out at Ennis then to West Yellowstone. Good road and worth seeing the area if you have not.
Captain Kirk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
Geemo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishrepellor View Post
Hi!
Looking to do a road trip to Silverwood Theme park and then Yellowstone next August with the family and need help with the planning. I've been going off Google maps with the route and timing of the drive.
I will be towing a 33 foot travel trailer with my F-150 ecoboost.
Comfortable towing it. Just haven't done a long trip like this before with a trailer. Bend has been the furthest trip with this setup.

Here's the current plan.

1- Leave Hillsboro Sat Aug 1 morning around 8 am. Arrive at Silverwood around 7-8 pm. google says it's a 7-8 hour drive.

2- Leave Silverwood for Yellowstone Wed morning. arrive later that night. 8-9 hours drive taking I90 and 287. planning on staying at an RV park in West Yellowstone.

3-leave for home Sunday morning. 14-15 hour drive time per google.
Planning on an overnight stop somewhere in the middle. Boise? Baker City?
then Monday to finish the drive home.

Any advice or modifications to the current plan?

Thanks for the help!!
We make the trip often from Portland to Fishing Bridge in YNP.
Here is a copy of my timing for our 2012 trip. We travel in a 35' Bounder motor home towing a Jeep Liberty.

We do not stop for lunch, we eat while on the move. We may stop to switch drivers. Being in an motor home we have everything we need with out having to stop.

For the most part we are traveling the speed limit, maybe +5mph or so. Except up HILL....

Travel time to Yellowstone 2012

9-6-12 Thursday Leave home 5:45am (Oregon I-5 exit 282)

Ritzville, WA 10:45am IN 10:55am OUT
$4.02/gal Trip 320

Idaho Montana State line 1:23pm
Missoula 3pm

Deer Lodge, MT 4pm
$3.65/gal Trip 336

9-7-12 Friday Leave Deer Lodge 7:45am
Belgrade 9:30am
WestYellowstone 11:05am IN 11:15am OUT
$4.04/gal Trip 202
Fishing Bridge RV in YNP 12:50pm

9-13 Thursday Leave Fishing Bridge 5:50am
WestYellowstone 7:20am
Belgrade 9am
Deer Lodge 10:45am IN 11:10am OUT
$3.69/gal Trip 314
Idaho/Montana state line 12:50pm
Post Falls 2pm Trip 251 RV park for the night

9-14 Friday Leave PostFalls 8am
Ritzville 9:25am $4.05/gal Trip 339
Umatilla 11:25am RV Park for the night
Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #12
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemo View Post
We make the trip often from Portland to Fishing Bridge in YNP.
Here is a copy of my timing for our 2012 trip. We travel in a 35' Bounder motor home towing a Jeep Liberty.

We do not stop for lunch, we eat while on the move. We may stop to switch drivers. Being in an motor home we have everything we need with out having to stop.

For the most part we are traveling the speed limit, maybe +5mph or so. Except up HILL....

Travel time to Yellowstone 2012

9-6-12 Thursday Leave home 5:45am (Oregon I-5 exit 282)

Ritzville, WA 10:45am IN 10:55am OUT
$4.02/gal Trip 320

Idaho Montana State line 1:23pm
Missoula 3pm

Deer Lodge, MT 4pm
$3.65/gal Trip 336

9-7-12 Friday Leave Deer Lodge 7:45am
Belgrade 9:30am
WestYellowstone 11:05am IN 11:15am OUT
$4.04/gal Trip 202
Fishing Bridge RV in YNP 12:50pm

9-13 Thursday Leave Fishing Bridge 5:50am
WestYellowstone 7:20am
Belgrade 9am
Deer Lodge 10:45am IN 11:10am OUT
$3.69/gal Trip 314
Idaho/Montana state line 12:50pm
Post Falls 2pm Trip 251 RV park for the night

9-14 Friday Leave PostFalls 8am
Ritzville 9:25am $4.05/gal Trip 339
Umatilla 11:25am RV Park for the night
Thanks! Very useful info.

So you take the same route there and back?
Why not I-84? Google has it being about 2 hours faster.
Old 10-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #13
FishSlayer724
Fry

Mammoth and Yellowstone lake were my favorites, go to Lamar valley at first light and you'll see all the animals
FishSlayer724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:25 AM   #14
jimh
King Salmon

Make sure your trailer brakes and truck brakes are in good shape. As others have noted, don’t count on Google drive times. Since you are probably going much slower than the speed limit, a shorter distance is usually going to be faster than longer with a higher speed limit.

You’ll be crossing some very windy areas and the speed limit in Montana and Idaho are as high as 80. Even if you could tow at 80, I wouldn’t recommend it. It is likely to take you 4 or more extra hours each way than what Google says.

You’ll probably get a lot worse MPG than you expect when you pull the Rockies. Don’t push the fuel stops because there are longish sections with no cell coverage and no fuel. Most of the fuel prices in Montana are pretty consistent. If you can make it to Post Falls, the Love’s truck stop has much lower gasoline prices than Ritzville Love’s (they don’t have the high WA tax) and both have plenty of room to maneuver your TT. Diesel is generally high at Love’s, but gasoline prices aren’t.

It’s very hot in August in Boise. Unless you have something to see in Boise, I wouldn’t come back that way both because of the weather, wind, and also the mountains into Boise and through Oregon. There are a lot of crossroads from West Yellowstone to St Anthony since you are traveling through a popular recreational area. Fuel is very high until you get to St Anthony. By very high, I mean over 50 cents a gallon higher. You can use Gas Buddy to figure out the fuel stops otherwise. I wouldn’t plan to go below a 1/4 tank. Gasoline prices in the park convenience centers varies a lot. Take a look and you’ll find the stations that you drive by with the best price.

If you want to stop somewhere different on the way back, consider Potholes State Park in WA. It’s a little out of your way, but a nice flat park and not on a highway. You can make reservations now for hookups. They have plenty of room for a large TT with circles to make back ins pretty easy.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:49 AM   #15
Geemo
Tuna!

Quote:
Thanks! Very useful info.

So you take the same route there and back?
Why not I-84? Google has it being about 2 hours faster.
Not always... Sometimes we take the lower route.
We like the scenery of the upper route.

The lower route is a little easier on the drive for terrain.
Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:02 AM   #16
4labs
Chromer

Never made the trip but have friends that have.
As jiml said service your hubs and brakes first, then change and flush your transmission if over 50000 miles. Change out the rear dif also. Would consider a larger dif cover also.
One thing that will ruin your day is a blown heater hose line, almost all manufactures are using PVC fittings and these things will start to leak .
Mine did and after just touching the fitting it exploded.Now I carry fittings and clamps. Couplings, tees and 90's only cost about 20 bucks but will save your day plus a gallon of anti freeze.
AAA RV towing is a must. Will tow up to 100miles.
Also think of a Pacific Pride card or CFN. Makes fueling a lot easier will big lots.

Last edited by 4labs; 10-05-2019 at 08:10 AM.
4labs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #17
socket985
Chromer

I asked the same question in 2012 & there is our trip itinerary and lot's of other excellent info here as well.

https://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=389682

If I had to do it again, I would not have stopped and seen the ghost towns in Montana. It was a huge waste of time and major disappointment. We wished we spent more time in South Dakota/Yellow Stone/Wyoming area as I've been back to Montana due to the close proximity. I hope to someday go back to the other areas and see the things we missed. The Custer Last Stand reenactment in Deadwood SD was great.

One State park that is an absolute must see is the 71,000 acre Custer State Park in South Dakota. Do not take your trailer there, as the granite peaks is an absolute must see. I had to fold my truck windows at times, so we could fit.

In the valley, If you have kids, there are wild animals (donkeys) that will stick there head in your car, expecting food. We didn't tell the kids, I stopped and opened the windows and they came right on over.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:24 AM   #18
shanem
Tuna!

Here is a helpful guide for surviving Yellowstone.

https://youtu.be/EmjyPu1UoXI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2019, 06:18 AM   #19
jimh
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanem View Post
Here is a helpful guide for surviving Yellowstone.

https://youtu.be/EmjyPu1UoXI
Oh, that’s supposed to be funny.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #20
sadiesassy
King Salmon

Up until a year or two ago - I would agree that the Loves and Flying J had reasonable gas prices. The last two years - I bet I paid 5 -8 cents higher.
But they typically have more room for maneuvering a large trailer. I am referring to diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
You’ll probably get a lot worse MPG than you expect when you pull the Rockies. Don’t push the fuel stops because there are longish sections with no cell coverage and no fuel. Most of the fuel prices in Montana are pretty consistent. If you can make it to Post Falls, the Love’s truck stop has much lower gasoline prices than Ritzville Love’s (they don’t have the high WA tax) and both have plenty of room to maneuver your TT. Diesel is generally high at Love’s, but gasoline prices aren’t.

Old 10-07-2019, 06:48 AM   #21
sadiesassy
King Salmon

There are lots of places to visit while there. But the Lamar valley is one of the best places to see wildlife. Problem is - yo need to get there early. And from the West gate it takes a while. If you leave late you add in all the traffic.
If you continue up the northeast gate it takes you out over I believe it is Bear PAss 11000 ft. WOuld not take the trailer.

You can go out the east gate and down into to Cody. I will second the museum there. Very good . Will go back next time I am there. Seems like you just getting started after several hours. I believe the passes are like 2 day passes.
Go north of town - there are two lakes one general and one catch and release - lots of big fish.

Go out the south gate and Jackson is a couple hours away. Go do some trail hiking. NOthign is cheap in JAckson.

Go east from Jackson and you are in Wind River Wilderness area.

I would agree that the Custer state park was very educational. We did not have a problem taking our trailer in there. BUt maybe we were lucky.

I would agree -- the ghost towns were not my thing. All look the same after you have seen one. But some people enjoy.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #22
slickitem
Steelhead

I been there before one of the best trips we ever took, we took our 2 boys when they were in their early teens. We went the 3rd week of July, we went to Idaho falls dropped over on highway 26 then up highway 89 then up, we went through, "JACKSON HOLE" seen Jack Palance and Harrison Ford, spent a whole day there,They have a lot of authentic Indian feather head dresses, and Cowboy paraphernalia you can purchase, one of the most neatest western town I have seen, then went in south entrance 2-3 days in Yellowstone. Only bad thing about Yellowstone when we went in July has Manhattan type traffic all over the place. I ask one of the Rangers best time and he told me best time to avoid a lot of people is 3rd week of August when people are leaving to get school supplies and clothes etc., After we left Yellowstone we went out north entrance, on up and seen the little big horn Battle ground were Custer met his fate, I am into that kind of western history, It was a very Erie feeling when the sun was going down, and very quiet out I was standing approx 10 feet from the monument where Custer fell, I was very lucky to meet a young Lady who was a Sioux Indian and a Great, great grand daughter of "Curly" he was Custer's Indian scout we invited her over to our Motor home and she told the story "blow, by Blow" of how the battle started and how it ended, my 2 boys were so Mesmerized by what she was saying we never forgot it, and I was thinking "a little over 100 years ago a heck of a battle between Indians and the U.S. Cavalry Happen here and many died!" What I also really enjoyed was old land marks that are still there of Indian battles, Fort Sheridan and all over back their....so there you have it hope you enjoy your trip, just make sure , like earlier posters said, keep your cooling system, and your breaking system in your truck or motor home in tip top shape, The mountain passes here in Oregon are "minor Hills" compared to what they have back there in the Rockies, we seen quite a few people pulled over to the side do to faulty, and not kept up cooling systems! and breaking systems...one more thing I would like to add, please give yourself time, plenty of time this is not a trip you rush through, Its a very beautiful scenic, and your in some very steep country. I have known friends that had limited time. and it was not to Cool, pressing for time, mainly because there are plenty of folks on the roads at that time of year.

Last edited by slickitem; 10-07-2019 at 11:38 AM.
slickitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #23
Califbill
Chromer

Take a Yellow bus tour to see the wildlife. We took an early morning, I think Lamar Valley, and the bus drivers know where the animals are mostly. We saw about 90% of the wolves in YS that morning. There are less than a 100 I think these days. Was well spent money. I think it was the Wake up to wildlife tour. Also 30 years ago we stayed in Madison campground. There are hot pools by the river. Only ones people were allowed to use in the park. There is a downloadable digital free guides to the park online.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #24
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Just got back a couple weeks ago. Ya there was construction going on, but really wasn't too bad. Fuel prices in the park were actually pretty reasonable if you needed it. Like 3.19 for diesel. About same as west Yellowstone and 10 or fifteen cents higher than most places. Lamar valley was beautiful but very few animals. We weren't real early though. Old faithful was not on our list because its not that impressive to us. We did end up stopping in and it happened to be within minutes of going off so we watched it. But its worth a first time visit. We preferred the prismatic pools and all the other outlying areas. The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone is absolutely amazing and one of our favorite parts. We went in at Gardiner. Spent a couple nights jut outside of there. Mammoth was pretty neat. Drove through the park and spent a few nights in west Yellowstone. Towed our 25' trailer through the park a few times. We mostly went I90 but stopped at Butte for a couple nights. Neat place with lots to see and do. Took a side trip on trail creek rd. to Pray. Turned to gravel and some mud but was impressive with lots of deer and elk. The pintler memorial hiway is beautiful up through Deer lodge.

Spent a few days in Cody. Loved the Cody museum. Plan on at least 2 days if you ever go there. went over Chief Joseph scenic hiway. over Dead Indian pass. Should have filled up in Cody as the place that was supposed to have fuel didn't and ended up going into Cook city. Incredible drive. Neat little town and diesel prices at $4 a gallon! Had to do it cause we were headed over bear tooth pass to Red lodge. Bear tooth and Chief Joseph both have recommendations of vehicles under 40' total. Figured I was a little over 50 and had to watch for traffic on the hair pins. My truck is a duramax diesel and had plenty of power and braking. Absolutely breathtaking views. Got some funny looks but was ok with that.

Lots of hard pulls going through Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Hard to keep speed below 70 for me. Caught myself at 80 several times. Just because of the traffic.

We never had any reservations or a trip plan. We know a general direction and have a few ideas and just wing it. Some of our best times and scenery have been discovered on a whim. Never had a problem with finding a place to stay. There are also several campgrounds before you get into the north entrance or around the west entrance. Mostly first come first serve.

Went to Jackson hole last time we were over that way. It was ok but wasn't real impressed.

Hope you have an incredible journey!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #25
tonkatoy77
Coho

We took this trip on August 2nd of this year. You definitely want to dedicate 2 days to Silverwood. If you have Facebook, follow their page. They announce when the RV reservations open on there. The day they opened reservations, I got on their website immediately. The park was full for that week in 3 hours.
When we went to Yellowstone, we stayed at the Yellowstone RV Park in Gardiner, MT. It was your typical park. West Yellowstone is too busy for me. Gardiner is half as busy.

If you have time, try to go to Cody to visit the museum. It is well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tonkatoy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #26
fishrepellor
Chromer

thanks everyone so far. keep the advice coming!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #27
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatoy77 View Post
We took this trip on August 2nd of this year. You definitely want to dedicate 2 days to Silverwood. If you have Facebook, follow their page. They announce when the RV reservations open on there. The day they opened reservations, I got on their website immediately. The park was full for that week in 3 hours.
When we went to Yellowstone, we stayed at the Yellowstone RV Park in Gardiner, MT. It was your typical park. West Yellowstone is too busy for me. Gardiner is half as busy.

If you have time, try to go to Cody to visit the museum. It is well worth it.

Is my drive time/planning seem legit to you?
Silverwood opens the reservations in January.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:47 PM   #28
slickitem
Steelhead

We also went to Cody, great restaurants, with Buffalo fixed any way you want, and also there a couple Taxidermist there, check them out ....breath taking to say the least.....seen the museum it was OK, we are going back this late spring taking some newer updated medal detectors, we have some good infro on where there were a few Indian battles with the US Calvary. amazing what you can find, in areas like these. We found 2 years ago in a battle field out side of the big horn Mt. 3-45-caliber Model 1873 Springfield carbines and 4...45-caliber Colt Single Action Army Model 1873 revolvers. 1 was in pretty good shape most were just keep sake,s.
slickitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #29
tonkatoy77
Coho

Quote:
Is my drive time/planning seem legit to you?

Silverwood opens the reservations in January.

Yeah, your timing is pretty good. I was surprised at how much traffic there was in Spokane during rush hour. It was basically stop and go from the time we hit the city limits, to about 6 miles from Silverwood.

We weren’t in a hurry coming home, so we stopped twice. The first night coming home, we stopped in Burley Idaho. There was a really nice county park we stayed at right on the Snake River. Then we stopped at the Wildhorse Casino the second night. My kids are 6 and 7, so I tried to split it up enough that they didn’t get stir crazy. They did really well.

tonkatoy77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #30
fishrepellor
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkatoy77 View Post
Yeah, your timing is pretty good. I was surprised at how much traffic there was in Spokane during rush hour. It was basically stop and go from the time we hit the city limits, to about 6 miles from Silverwood.

We weren’t in a hurry coming home, so we stopped twice. The first night coming home, we stopped in Burley Idaho. There was a really nice county park we stayed at right on the Snake River. Then we stopped at the Wildhorse Casino the second night. My kids are 6 and 7, so I tried to split it up enough that they didn’t get stir crazy. They did really well.

My kids will that same age during the trip!
Old 10-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #31
fishy2k
Tuna!

My wife and I just booked 4 nights at Grizzly RV park for mid June. Getting so excited now. From there we are headed to Mt. Rushmore, so now we are trying to find a campground back there. Not sure what route we are going to take yet. It could be from here on the coast or from Tahoe through Salt Lake City to Yellowstone.