From Joke to Reality: Solar Panels on Cars - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 10-05-2019, 02:56 PM   #61
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Default Re: From Joke to Reality: Solar Panels on Cars

Don't read or hear about Prius or Leaf spontaneous combust, just Tesla. At least for now I don't want one in my garage charging while I am upstairs sleeping.

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 05:38 AM   #62
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Never liked the increased dependence on electricity. More wind farms, more dams, more environmentally unfriendly stuff. When asked if we wanted green power, we declined. There is no such thing as green power.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 05:34 PM   #63
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

This one might be worth having: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...CTRIC-car.html

"The Rimac C_Two produces 1,914hp from four permanent-magnet motors, which propel it to a top speed of 256mph, and hitting 60mph half a second faster than its rival, Tesla."
Old 10-08-2019, 12:25 PM   #64
Califbill
Chromer

Plug in hybrids are really the answer. I drive a Volt as a daily driver. Mine is a 2014 and gets 40 miles on a charge. I live in the hills. I have no problem driving to daughters in SoCal. When the battery goes flat, gas engine runs. Newer Volts are 60 miles plus. Major problem with the Tesla’s are reliability. Neighbors Tesla has had 2 door handles fail under warranty, now they want a $1000 to fix the new broken one. Only one example. How far will that 300 mile Tesla run in the winter snows. Cold battery, heater for cabin, lights, wipers. Not saying EV’s are bad, just not the end all. Wife’s cousin in Portland had a Nissan Leaf. 65 mile range. She lived not far from work, so the 65 was Okay, and free charging. But a lot of money for a short commuter. As to Elon’s semi truck, how much load can the truck haul? If you have to have 14,000 pounds of battery, the load capacity of the truck is reduced at least 10,000# depending on the electric motor weights. Will the DOT allow higher total weight for an electric truck? As to no emissions, they just moved the emissions away from the vehicle itself. How much hydroelectric power is available to charge all these vehicles? Back to fossil fuels as no one wants nuclear.
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #65
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

About that thing of where the electricity comes from to charge EVs up..... Duke Energy, the 4th largest electricity provider in the US, says meeting state requirements to increase its use of solar power causes greater greenhouse emissions. It is asking regulators to ease the limits on some of its combustion plants.

https://thefederalist.com/2019/10/04...ses-pollution/

"There ain't no free lunch"
Old 10-08-2019, 04:17 PM   #66
pugbuddy
Steelhead

https://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/v...context=wmelpr New EPA Administrator for North Carolina ( A former Duke Energy Official ) says about Cape Fear River Breach, your well water is SAFE TO DRINK.
pugbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:51 PM   #67
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
About that thing of where the electricity comes from to charge EVs up..... Duke Energy, the 4th largest electricity provider in the US, says meeting state requirements to increase its use of solar power causes greater greenhouse emissions. It is asking regulators to ease the limits on some of its combustion plants.

Just for the record, the Federalist is the on saying solar causes greater greenhouse emissions. Duke Energy Disputes that claim.
https://news.duke-energy.com/our-per...-wait-a-minute

For what it’s worth, the author of the Federalist article is listed as a Senior Fellow at the John Locke Foundation which has close ties to the Koch Bothers and other fossil fuel industry money. Just saying it is not exactly a non-biased source. In fact, they also received funding from the wonderful people at Phillip Morris to try to convince us how great cigarettes are.
Root Hog or Die is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM   #68
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post
Just for the record, the Federalist is the on saying solar causes greater greenhouse emissions. Duke Energy Disputes that claim.
https://news.duke-energy.com/our-per...-wait-a-minute

For what it’s worth, the author of the Federalist article is listed as a Senior Fellow at the John Locke Foundation which has close ties to the Koch Bothers and other fossil fuel industry money. Just saying it is not exactly a non-biased source. In fact, they also received funding from the wonderful people at Phillip Morris to try to convince us how great cigarettes are.
And now we have non-tobacco cigarettes killing people. Progress!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:41 PM   #69
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:
And now we have non-tobacco cigarettes killing people. Progress!
Lol, I'd never say progress was always pretty. But, at least I don't have to breath second hand cigarettes smoke in a restaurant while I'm trying to eat dinner.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:33 PM   #70
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post
Lol, I'd never say progress was always pretty. But, at least I don't have to breath second hand cigarettes smoke in a restaurant while I'm trying to eat dinner.
Increasing backlash was one of the reasons I finally quit for good. That and the ever increasing taxes.

On the Duke opinion piece, the writer is the former head of the North Carolina Department of Environmental Quality. Seems like he is entitled to an opinion. Duke's rebuttal might just be good PR?
Old 10-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #71
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

The vaping thing was interesting since the illness did come out during that first wave of fall colds. I bet the illness has more to do with inhaling water vapor, like a long night of crabbing on a fall evening, then it does with the actual act of vaping. Let’s face it the new in thing is to really create that giant vape cloud as a passive aggressive show, akin to having your diesel put out a large cloud of smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #72
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnMorgan View Post
The vaping thing was interesting since the illness did come out during that first wave of fall colds. I bet the illness has more to do with inhaling water vapor, like a long night of crabbing on a fall evening, then it does with the actual act of vaping. Let’s face it the new in thing is to really create that giant vape cloud as a passive aggressive show, akin to having your diesel put out a large cloud of smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To continue off topic, word out now is that all of the dope packs used in e-cigs had a substance that when burned turns into a corrosive that 'burns' lung tissue. Can't recall the specific chemical offhand. Something like a dozen different products were tested. My guess is heavy users are the ones turning up in hospitals and dying, as damage accumulates over time more will likely present.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:07 PM   #73
Califbill
Chromer

Darwin in action. People claim there is overpopulation. Maybe the new way of reducing the amount???
Califbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:09 AM   #74
Soulakala
King Salmon

My wife smoked for over 40 years and as we got older I noticed she started struggling on longer walks, she was having respiratory problems. Being stubborn she would not quit that is until she ended up in the hospital. When she got out she went and tried the electronic looking cigarette not the big vapor thing. That enabled her to stop lighting up and she recovered over time her respiratory strength. So I would say the electronic cigarette does have a place in helping people. Its no different than all those drug commercials we see, which all end up telling you about the side effects some of which are worse than the illness. Everything has some potential of negative health side effects. Jogging for health you might have a heart attach, fishing you might drown, eating you might choke and living you will die.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #75
Joe C
King Salmon

Quote:

Obviously creating electricity causes pollution. The difference is, is it better to have 100 cars putting out gasoline emissions at varying rates at 100 different locations, or have 100 electric cars with one emission source at a power plant that can be more easily monitored, regulated, and upgraded?

Seems to me the second option is always going to be more efficient.
Joe C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #76
Rickster
Tuna!

And more expensive.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #77
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Just read an article that NASCAR and IndyCar racing series will start using hybrids in2022. Wonder if they will have solar panels?
Old 10-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #78
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
And more expensive.
I don't think I've seen any reputable number that show the operating costs of an electric car as being anything but well below that of internal combustion cars.