Nikon BDC reticle experiences? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Default Nikon BDC reticle experiences?

Looking for a new scope for a rifle I just picked up. What is everyone’s experience with this reticle? I’ve ran the load I shoot through their spot on calculator, and if it actually works like they claim it looks like a really simple option for shooting out to 400 with a 100 yard zero. I’m looking at the monarch 3 2.5x10x42. It’s going on a 6lb rifle, so don’t want to get too crazy heavy of a scope.

Please don’t tell me to go buy a Leupold or Leica or whatever you happen to have on your gun that is “the best”

Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 01:16 PM   #2
Chesapeake
King Salmon

Default Re: Nikon BDC reticle experiences?

Assume your talking about the reticle with the round circles...

It works but leaves a bit to be desired as at longer ranges the circles aren't the best for holding hard on a target. The scopes are reasonably clear. The dial isn't anything special, but seems to track OK on the 2 or 3 I've played with.
My kids have it, and I don't care for it for that. Trying to explain what circle to use, use the top/bottom/or middle, ect.... is a bit confusing.

The app seems pretty neat the way you can input the scope and then it will give the drops (sub tensions?) as they change with the magnification setting.
Haven't shot it though to confirm its close enough to be usable.

Depending on cartridge, ect.... the scope should do you fine out to 500 yards, maybe further without using the dial. Just set a 200 yard zero and use the reticle and learn your drops.

My kids have dropped and banged around their rifles for a few years now and the zero's have held firm.

The scopes are very similar to a Leupold Rifleman/Freedom/VX1 or whatever Leupold calls the scope this year.

"I'd have shot a bigger one, if he had shown himself first."
Deck boss on "J4".
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 01:52 PM   #3
95powersmoker
Steelhead

I've got a Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x50 on my Browning .270. Zeroed at 100. Great relatively lightweight scope.
95powersmoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #4
winmag
Steelhead

In my experience the reticle worked as advertised.

My biggest complaint on this reticle is for quick/unexpected shots. I didn't like what happened when I had to quickly throw up the scope and couldn't get a quick fix on my target.

My second biggest complaint was the reticle was bit "crude" in it's precision. Some of it was my fault because I didn't practice enough w/ it.
winmag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 PM   #5
simpleguy
Steelhead

We have a Savage with it on it. It is "OK", I truly prefer a scope with MOA or Mil hash marks on it, like a 2-10 or something of that type. Way easier to dial in your dope.

Most of the lower cost scopes are 2nd focal plane, which means the marks will have a different value at different power settings on your scope.

Good luck with whichever decision you make!
simpleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:54 AM   #6
a12seccrx
Ifish Nate

I have a cheap Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my Rem 700, 7-08. It does not give you the ability to nail the bullseye every time at 400yds, but I'm within a couple/few inches consistently. The circles do give a little room to error.... gets better the more you practice. I also use the app, along with factory loads and that has worked excellent thus far.
a12seccrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:29 AM   #7
slinger
Steelhead

I've been very impressed with the Nikon scopes I've owned. The glass is great for the price point and they're well made. That said, I think their BDC reticle design could be much, much better. The circles sound good in theory, but they make the sight picture seem cluttered. I think it's the curved lines. It's also difficult to focus on the top or bottom of a circle and vertical line intersection. I'd find a grid or a series of horizontal lines much easier to use.

My experience, and your mileage may vary.

I will agree that the Spot-On ballistics generator is awesome. I'd have a safe full of those scopes if the reticle were better.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by slinger; 10-10-2019 at 06:29 AM.
slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:33 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I go along with what Chesapeake said about the 200 yd. zero but I’d stretch it to 250 or 3” at 100 and call it good. Shouldn’t have to do much guesswork out to 400. But, that also depends on the cartridge.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:59 AM   #9
Pueblo
Steelhead

I have the 3X9 BDC Monarch on my 7mm-08. Last year I had a really nice bear at 380 yards direct sight down hill in Hells Canyon according to my range finder. I centered the gap between the 300 and 400 circles on the lower chest. Shot over him. The circle becomes bigger and imprecise at that range.

Fast forward to this year I was able to take two antelope at about 250 yards each. With the rifle sighted in at 100 yards, the cross hair and the 200 yard circle are both on kill spots. I defaulted to my pre-BDC days and just pulled the trigger when the cross hair was a little high and got two quick kills. The BDC was more of a minor annoyance at this point.

I realize that I'd need to shoot many more animals or silhouettes before I became a pro at using this feature.
Pueblo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #10
Tesoro
Tuna!

I third that. Keep it simple stupid. Just study the ballistics of your load and then zero for point blank so that you are in the necessary kill zone out to i.e. 300-350 yds. And then you can make a small adjustment for any longer shots.

Use a ballistics calculator to see the trajectory and then adjust your scope off a bench at 100 for better precision. i.e. you will be shooting 1.75in high at 100, dead on at 194 yds and still within your kill zone at 300-350. ( depending on your load of course)

When you pull up on an animal with a conventional reticle all you have is a nice clean set of crosshairs and a shoulder to aim at. Personally I couldn't imagine having to do a quick shot and having a bunch of bubbles in my scope and having to line up a bubble based on my guestimated range!

If of course you have time then you can do your own hold based on a known range and your zero.

If you shoot conventional, not having to think about your trajectory too much, then you have a little extra time to figure out your windage.

One of the best values is scopes with good glass, if not the best, are Nikons.

Last edited by Tesoro; 10-10-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:48 AM   #11
slinger
Steelhead

Just looked at Nikon's reticle offerings in that M5. The MK1-MOA reticle might be worth looking into. With my 270 load and a 200 yard zero the hashmarks would have POI of 299, 389, 471, 546 and 615 as you climb down the ladder 2 MOA(one hashmark) at a time. Round those to 300, 400, 475, 550 and 600 and it becomes very easy to remember. Just an example. It's a BDC without the annoying circles.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
SImudBogger
Brood stock

I’m going to go Leupold with CDS. VX3i 4.5x14 w/ 30mm tube. The BDC reticle is definitely cluttered and not the most precise. Looking through it at 10x at a deer sized target 300yds away I was not impressed. And the POI changing as you adjust the power was something else I didn’t like. With CDS and a 200 yard zero I’d really only have to turn the dial on anything over about 250-275. Seems much simpler.
Old 10-10-2019, 02:59 PM   #13
C-lice
Sturgeon

Two experiences to share: I have a 4x12x40 Pro Staff on a 7mm/08 which shoots 120 grain NBTs at about 3050 fps.

According to the ballistics calculator online, the crosshairs zero at 200 yards with the point of impact 1.5" high at 100, so this is how I sighted in.

I have taken two long (for me) shots since I got this scope. One was a buck antelope at 378 yards (per my rangefinder). The second circle below the crosshair happens to correspond to 379 according to the website...close enough. I was prone, with a bipod, with no wind, I held behind his shoulder and so that the 379 circle was bisected by the place where his hair changed from brown to white. Here's what happened:

Another similar shot found my hunting partners putting a 10" gong downrange at 400 yards. I got prone with my bipod, put the same 379 circle on top of the gong, an fired. I not only hit the gong, I am told I dead-centered it.

For me, once the ranges are known, it's very helpful. If I had a shot at 420 yards, I'd know that the aim point would need to be between the 379 and 460 circles. If I had nothing but a shot from prone, no wind, and no chance to get closer, I would trust the scope to be right. I can't say that about a scope without those known distance references.

I very seldom shoot other than a day or two before hunting season. The scope allows me to be waaay more accurate a shooter at distance than I have any business being.
Deuteronomy 25:11-12
C-lice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:45 AM   #14
Tesoro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-lice View Post

I very seldom shoot other than a day or two before hunting season. The scope allows me to be waaay more accurate a shooter at distance than I have any business being.
In the near future shooters/hunters will most likely be able to use scopes that will be able to read the wind and distance to target and will auto adjust the reticle for point and shoot accuracy. The only way you will be able to 'miss' will be due to bad shooting form.

Its already in the works in the military.
Tesoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #15
Flatfish
King Salmon

You can use a regular duplex crosshair to 400 yards if you practice enough to learn what the correct holdover looks like.

Personally, after working with dials, if I thought I was gonna shoot far enough that a correction was required, I would buy a dial scope.
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote