Flu season ahead - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 09-30-2019, 12:47 PM   #1
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default Flu season ahead

I was at Albertson's grabbing a prescription when I saw someone with a clipboard filling out the flu shot paperwork, so got mine while I was there. Being a geezer, I got the Fluzone High Dose vaccine. The needles they are using are now are so fine and sharp that I have trouble feeling when it is in and when it is out -- nothing like some of the shots we got 50-60 years ago when the nurses used glass syringes, or even stainless cartridge syringes that they would put back in the autoclave for sterilization and re-use. Big, dull needles, boys and girls, needles that looked like 8-penny nails, and you had to lean into it. Dark ages stuff!
Not sure how this year's vaccine is expected to match the actual influenza strain that ends up defining the flu season, but if it keeps me healthy enough that I don't end up coughing in the grocery line and infecting a frail senior or a little kid with a compromised immune system, I have done my part.
I watched my old WWII combat vet father die of H1N1. It took him awhile.
Please consider getting a flu shot this year, even if you usually don't. Help protect our precious herd.

If, like me, you are an Official Geezer (O.G., also Old Guy, Old Gal over 65) here is some dope straight from the CDC on the vaccine we need.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/qa_f...qa_fluzone.htm

Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
dan silverman
Fry

Default Re: Flu season ahead

Very good advice!
dan silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:18 PM   #3
Starfish
King Salmon

Free shots at work next week...I will definitely partake.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2019, 07:55 PM   #4
CamoHunter
Tuna!

Going in to see the Doc tomorrow for my yearly physical. He usually asks at this time if I want to get my flu shot out of the way so I will get it then.
CamoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:33 PM   #5
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Bill: Enjoyed your narrative on needles etc. Good stuff. I’ll pass on the shot.....
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:42 PM   #6
Dave G
King Halibut

When I was in the Army a medic would act like the needle was a dart.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 04:40 AM   #7
jack3m
Tuna!

Yep, get the shot. As we age the flu hits us harder and harder. Been a fan of the shot for at least the last 5 years and had healthy winters every year. If you have COPD you NEED the shot. Additionally, Safeway is giving 10% off coupons good for up to $200 of groceries, so now you can get your shot and save on food. Have a great winter folks.

For those of us over 60 you also need the Pneumonia shot(s). Had pneumonia once, thought I was gonna die, no fun, so get that shot too

Last edited by jack3m; 10-01-2019 at 04:41 AM.
jack3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:10 AM   #8
Ichthyolic
Tuna!

Free shots at work last week - got mine, for the last 10 years in a row.
Not an "Official Geezer" at 64 but we could all use this shot in the arm.
Even if the strain going around isn't covered by this shot, it will at least lessen the effects by severity and length of time.
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys

Last edited by Ichthyolic; 10-01-2019 at 05:12 AM.
Ichthyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:17 AM   #9
jimh
King Salmon

Thanks for the reminder. I didn’t get the shot last year and skated by without getting very sick. I much prefer being a little sick for a day or two instead of having full bore flu.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:52 AM   #10
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Harvey, good luck with that, amigo. Full-blown influenza can be deadly to the, ahem, "more mature" Ifisher, among which I count myself.
Jack, I had pneumonia once, too. It's when I came face to face for the first time with how peaceful it could be to just let go and pass. Quite a revelation to be that sick.
Old 10-01-2019, 05:55 AM   #11
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Just passing this advice along from my primary care doc. Wait until the middle to end of October to get flu shots. Reasoning is the dose loses it's potency over time. If getting it to early the less protection you have when the brunt of flue season hits. May be worth asking your doc about if considering getting the shot.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:02 AM   #12
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Finn, I have heard that, but the CDC advice is just not to get it is as early as July or August. Should be good to go any time now. That said, where I live is much drier than the Northwest, with March and April being bright sun and windy season, to the extent that cold, damp weather encourages flu. It may not.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #13
DogZilla15
King Salmon

If I was still working, I’d probably start getting it annually. I’m almost never around large crowds which I fear the most. The Sportsman’s Show in Feb. is about it. I worry when I get on an airplane. I’ve had the flu one time in 40 years and it didn’t linger but ya never know about the next time.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:32 AM   #14
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Harvey, there is nothing so depressing as being squeezed into a seat in coach next to a very ill person. Been there, done that.
Old 10-01-2019, 10:54 AM   #15
Tar Heel
Sturgeon

Fixin' to get my Flu shot. Unfortunately, it wont cure the stomach bug I caught on the plane coming back fro my Dad's 93d HBD in NC last week, ugh.

Old 10-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Whoa, Tar Heel, sorry to hear.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:41 PM   #17
Tinman

Got my flu shot at Safeway. I barely felt it, and I got a 10% off coupon for groceries! No lingering effects other than feeling a bit funky the next day.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #18
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Good for you Charles. I didn't even feel funky, just as though one of my brothers had given me a "slugbug" in the shoulder. The many youngsters here will have no idea what I am talking about.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:27 PM   #19
flyman47
Steelhead

Mine felt more like a Beetle Bite.
flyman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #20
STGRule
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger

Got mine at the doctor on Friday. The nurse said a bunch of the the staff got their shots on Tuesday and most complained that they thought they had a bit more discomfort than usual and to warn me of that. She said it wasn't pain per sa, but you could feel it. I felt nothing. Same as usual. Can't hardly tell you are getting an injection and no pain or discomfort afterwards.
STGRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:00 PM   #21
judyfish99
Ifish Nate

I am getting mine ASAP. Have bad asthma under control for now. Be sure to wipe down those shopping cart handles!

Ifish member #4442

Mother Nature leaves no orphans
judyfish99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 11:18 PM   #22
Splash
Sturgeon

Got mine this afternoon. Free is a good price.
Old 10-02-2019, 06:15 AM   #23
Finn-icky
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
Finn, I have heard that, but the CDC advice is just not to get it is as early as July or August. Should be good to go any time now. That said, where I live is much drier than the Northwest, with March and April being bright sun and windy season, to the extent that cold, damp weather encourages flu. It may not.
Sure are all levels of advice and options out there. Thats why I suggested asking your care giver and decide from there. Either way IMHO getting a flu shot is the prudent thing to do especially as we age be it January one or July one. I started years ago for a variety of reasons but the main benefit I gained was having fewer colds and feeling better during the fall and winter month when in the PNW flu season seems to be most prominent. To each their own and my hope is we all get past this during the up and coming flu season untouched by the bug.
Finn-icky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #24
Woodhunter
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyfish99 View Post
I am getting mine ASAP. Have bad asthma under control for now. Be sure to wipe down those shopping cart handles!
About the nastiest thing in the world is a shopping cart with the baby seat. Don't even think about what may be on them!

I always go for one of the smaller carts that does not have the seat.

Flu shot, got mine a month ago. The high octane version.

If you are an old timer like me do not forget the shingles shot! I had shingles 3 years ago, nasty stuff, lasted for a year. Now I get the shot every year.

And a tetanus shot, important if you are on a farm or around animals. Good thing for you hunters also. I have seen animals die from tetanus, a very ugly sight.
Old 10-02-2019, 07:23 AM   #25
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Woodhunter, just had that second shingles shot. That one hurt, but nothing like a case of the shingles. I am also due for the second dose of Prevnar, the pneumonia shot.
Thinking back to the old days of vaccinations, I still remember standing in line in what might have been the basement of the public health building in Corvallis about 1958, waiting for the polio shot. This was pre-oral vaccine -- and back in the days of dull, heavy-gauge needles and glass syringes. I was terrified and it hurt, but if you are old enough to have known kids as I did who did contract polio and had withered arms or legs, it was a real blessing. Same for that little circular scar on the shoulder that protected us from smallpox. The science and medical practice of immunology has come so very, very far.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:38 PM   #26
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
here is some dope straight from the CDC on the vaccine we need.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/qa_f...qa_fluzone.htm
That is some interesting science

"between about 70 percent and 85 percent of seasonal flu-related deaths have occurred in people 65 years and older and between 54 percent and 70 percent of seasonal flu-related hospitalizations have occurred among people in that age group."

Thanks for posting that; education is never-ending.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:46 AM   #27
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

My GF got the shot as required by her work in healthcare, and got the flu a few days later. Two weeks later she just went to get coughing prescription meds yesterday as she still can't get rid of the lingering effects. I'll pass.

My ex had the same happen but I think she just got colds and sick after the shots not the flu. Small sample size but it always seems those who get the shot around me, family and friends, are the ones who get sick that year.
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:47 AM   #28
Ichthyolic
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
My GF got the shot as required by her work in healthcare, and got the flu a few days later. Two weeks later she just went to get coughing prescription meds yesterday as she still can't get rid of the lingering effects. I'll pass.

My ex had the same happen but I think she just got colds and sick after the shots not the flu. Small sample size but it always seems those who get the shot around me, family and friends, are the ones who get sick that year.
Sorry to hear about your GF! Unfortunately, the shot take two weeks before it is effective. So we are still vulnerable during those two weeks.
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys
Ichthyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:43 AM   #29
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Bev, I think this is what happens in these anecdotal cases -- bad timing/coincidence. The CDC repeats over and over -- you cannot develop influenza from a dead or inactivated virus. But the vaccine can cause some side effects.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/gene...%2Fgeneral.htm
Old 10-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #30
slickitem
Steelhead

I got mine and just got through with my series of singles shot,
slickitem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:58 PM   #31
cj13058
Tuna!

I've been getting a flu shot for about 8 years straight. They show up to the office, it's free and it only takes a few minutes. Haven't had any serious flu issues for about 10 years.

Sadly, I missed the free flu shot at work last week. Why? Cause I was at home sick with the flu!!!
Thankfully there were no stomach issues for me. It was mainly a fever and body aches. I couldn't believe how bad my lower back hurt.
FYI, I will still be getting a flu shot this year.
cj13058 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #32
pirk fan
Tuna!

Get the flu shot, even if you think you might have already had the flu. There's more than one "flu" virus out there, and you can get a second one that the vaccination might have protected you from. Worked in hospitals for 40+ years and have seen how you die from complications of infuenza...not a pretty thing. Perhaps the saddest was a new mother who had just delivered her baby, came down with the flu and died. Somebody passed that influenza virus on to her....and if that somebody had gotten a flu shot, maybe she'd still be with us, taking care of her kid. Protect the herd.
pirk fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:24 PM   #33
Cookieman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirk fan View Post
Get the flu shot, even if you think you might have already had the flu. There's more than one "flu" virus out there, and you can get a second one that the vaccination might have protected you from. Worked in hospitals for 40+ years and have seen how you die from complications of infuenza...not a pretty thing. Perhaps the saddest was a new mother who had just delivered her baby, came down with the flu and died. Somebody passed that influenza virus on to her....and if that somebody had gotten a flu shot, maybe she'd still be with us, taking care of her kid. Protect the herd.
Ya she was in the hospital, worse place to get any disease!

I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, its a lie!
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 04:17 PM   #34
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Two guys who were supposed to replace two windows today have the flu.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 PM   #35
Williams
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Two guys who were supposed to replace two windows today have the flu.

Damn kids!
Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:21 PM   #36
gettin' fishy
Ifish Nate

The whole family has gotten theirs. My wife works in pharmacy so she gets to see all of the goodies going around. Like some above said protect the herd. There are those with compromised immune systems or those to young to get the shot.

This year's flu shot is based on the most common stains that went through the tropics already. It doesn't catch all of the different strains, it is just a guess as to what they expect to hit up here.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote