Mr heater/buddy propane heater - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #1
piscean
Chromer

Default Mr heater/buddy propane heater

Anybody used it ' inside' the tent ...one which has low oxygen auto shut off button?? Somebody advised that carry an extra Carbon Monoxide alarm and it works okay. I want to wake up in the morning....not in rush to go peacefully...lol.
Will appreciate advice...cant remember where my wood stove is (bought it used few years back)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 01:46 PM   #2
Twitch
King Salmon

Default Re: Mr heater/buddy propane heater

I use my Little Buddy in my 8x10 wall tent set on low all night.
I leave the door unzipped about 8" on the bottom, and the openings at the ridge allow considerable airflow.
I also have a AA battery carbon monoxide detector in the tent but it's never gone off.

It will keep my tent at 60-65 when outside temps are low 30's.
Old 10-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
Mauser8MM
Steelhead

Use a carbon monoxide detector and get some ventilation in there. I got sick as a dog one night from my big buddy heater in a tent. Be careful!
Mauser8MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #4
Cadiaz
Coho

I used my little buddy during bow season. I only used it before sleep and when I woke up. It did just fine. My tent had good ventilation which is key.
Cadiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 02:58 PM   #5
piscean
Chromer

Never used it all night long ...just when winter steelhead plunking on early mornings....does it go through whole 16 oz propane tank....the small green ones??

Old 10-01-2019, 03:12 PM   #6
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by piscean View Post
Never used it all night long ...just when winter steelhead plunking on early mornings....does it go through whole 16 oz propane tank....the small green ones??

yes

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
Brian304
Cutthroat

I have used the Little Buddy inside a tent in the past. Does not put off as much head as the larger ones but took the chill off. Like others have said, make sure you have some ventilation as a precaution.
Brian304 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Twitch
King Salmon

Quote:

I plumb mine in to a standard tank and run the hose under the side of the tent.
Old 10-01-2019, 06:17 PM   #9
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch View Post

Same here, I've run them for years, two if it's really cold in a 10x14 kodiak. It has peak vents and a low door window zipper on both side walls that I keep opened a bit (CO sinks).
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #10
lilnorthfork
Sturgeon

Quote:
It has peak vents and a low door window zipper on both side walls that I keep opened a bit (CO sinks).
CO mass is very similar to air and distributes evenly (indoors). Since any non combusted air would be coming off heater, it would likely mix with warm air and rise.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #11
444Marlin
Chromer

They are rated as 'indoor approved' and I have used them indoors in a Jumping Jack Trailer. Which is essentially a canvas tent. I haven't woken up dead yet!

I have used a 1 gallon smaller propane tank that is easier to lug around than the standard size, but gives me a little more mileage than the small green tanks.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #12
Quaka Wacka
Ifish Nate

They are good for taking the chill off, but create moisture when you run them. Tough to dry out cloths that way.
Quaka Wacka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
lentz
Sturgeon

My buddy runs his all night in his camp trailer and hasn't had any issues. He doesn't like running the heater all night because it will drain his batteries.
lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #14
Turnerjo13
Steelhead

they work good but the ones that have the auto shut off dont work at elevations above 4500 or 5000 feet. Not enough O2 and the auto shut off kicks in.
Turnerjo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #15
piscean
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 444Marlin View Post
They are rated as 'indoor approved' and I have used them indoors in a Jumping Jack Trailer. Which is essentially a canvas tent. I haven't woken up dead yet!

I have used a 1 gallon smaller propane tank that is easier to lug around than the standard size, but gives me a little more mileage than the small green tanks.
Amen to not waking dead...lol...When I was reading the description, thats what it says that it can be used indoors, tents, trailers etc. I think I will go with it and keep a battery operated CO detector. I have a Hersch Weis Tent which I put together this evening to see everything works...and will be using heater in this tent.

Last edited by piscean; 10-01-2019 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #16
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

I've used a Mr. Heater tanktop style in my tent trailer and tents for years. Still here. Couple years ago I bought a Camco Wave 8 for the tent trailer. I never run the Mr. Heater when I'm sleeping, but have run the Camco on low overnight. Both of my tent trailers are drafty enough that there is enough airflow. They do produce moisture. Now days I also run a small electric heater which at best just knocks the chill off but does help with drying things. Best thing I've found for staying warm at night in the tent or the tent trailer is a REALLY good sleeping bag. In the winter I use a big canvas -30 bag, fall I can get away with just my 0 bag. I'm also at the stage in life that I'm beginning to think winter camping in a tent trailer is for the birds, a hardside might be in my future.

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #17
Buck Fever
Steelhead

I've used my "Big Heater Buddy" several times all night with no problems. As other have noted, I leave some small openings for ventilation and also have a CO monitor (which has never gone off). I really like it.
Buck Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:24 AM   #18
freespool
King Salmon

Have the Big Buddy works great, have it plumbed to a 20# bulk tank.
First heater was the Little Buddy, killed it because I didn't add a filter, also shut off the heater with the tank shutoff valve.

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
dla
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Anybody used it ' inside' the tent ...one which has low oxygen auto shut off button?? Somebody advised that carry an extra Carbon Monoxide alarm and it works okay. I want to wake up in the morning....not in rush to go peacefully...lol.
Will appreciate advice...cant remember where my wood stove is (bought it used few years back)

Mr Buddy is safe, but it will create condensation. I've used one in a 10x10 tent for years. Pound for pound propane to water vapor (look it up). I run mine off a 20lb tank, and it lasts a week in 20 degree weather.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:47 PM   #20
bonjoevi2000
Chromer

I remember years back. 20yrs maybe? 2 hunters were found dead in there tent while asleep with the propane heater on. A snowstorm blew in dumped 1 1/2ft of snow and blocked the ventilation. We were over near Meachum. Then Temp dropped to 0. It was cold. We were in a tent also that year with an old white gas heater. When we awoke there was a ft.of snow piled up around our tent. Lucky for us our vents had not closed completely.
Everyday is Christmas,Every meal is Thanksgiving. Ironworker Local#29
bonjoevi2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #21
UglyDog223
Cutthroat

I have been researching and debating this exact same thing for the last couple weeks. I have used mr. heater buddies in the past but just decided on and ordered a Nu Way stove for my Kodiak tent. Its a propane heater but exhausts out threw a stove pipe. A little bit more money but maybe it will allow me to sleep better at night not thinking about it. Its also supposed to be a drier heat because its exhausting outside as well.. Now I need to cut a stove jack in my new tent though!
UglyDog223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #22
Odell
Coho

Quote:
This is what I do in my Kodiak canvas tent but I get nervous leaving it so I only use it in the morning and evening just to warm up. It is so nice to wake up, turn on the heater and hop back in bed for a few minutes until the tent is super warm then get dressed and make coffee
Odell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #23
Calcoyote
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odell View Post
This is what I do in my Kodiak canvas tent but I get nervous leaving it so I only use it in the morning and evening just to warm up. It is so nice to wake up, turn on the heater and hop back in bed for a few minutes until the tent is super warm then get dressed and make coffee
As silly as it sounds that is what I do even with a woodstove and a wall tent. I have a nice thick down sleeping bag that is too hot to keep zipped up even well below freezing. That is plenty to keep me warm. Then in the morning I reach over and start the Mr Buddy heater and my lantern and that is enough to knock the chill off in my 12x14 or my 12x12 in about ten minutes. Then I get up and kindle a fire in the stove.

Last edited by Calcoyote; 10-02-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Calcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #24
Calcoyote
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UglyDog223 View Post
I have been researching and debating this exact same thing for the last couple weeks. I have used mr. heater buddies in the past but just decided on and ordered a Nu Way stove for my Kodiak tent. Its a propane heater but exhausts out threw a stove pipe. A little bit more money but maybe it will allow me to sleep better at night not thinking about it. Its also supposed to be a drier heat because its exhausting outside as well.. Now I need to cut a stove jack in my new tent though!
I have a NuWay and used it in my 12x12 Alaknak tent a couple of years ago. You will want to buy a damper and mount it as high up on the pipe as possible. Otherwise you lose a LOT of heat up the stove pipe.
Calcoyote is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:49 AM   #25
Pinstriper
Chromer

I use a Heater Buddy in my teardrop. It doesn’t produce CO, but it will consume all the oxygen, which is why it has a sensor to shut off. I have woken in the night, cold, and had trouble getting it to light, then cracked the roof vent. Poof, it lights. So I am confident it is safe. You just need to find the right balance between a vent letting your heat escape and letting air in.

I wonder if there is a failure mode where a malfunctioning unit might produce CO. That would be when a CO monitor would be useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:05 AM   #26
piscean
Chromer

Picked this last night...for $99.99. I'll still carry a CO detector and will crack a 3/4inch gap in window. No snow forecast at starkey...even if it is...I'm sure it won't pile up to the window. Temos will be low 40's to upper 30's at night and in low 50's during day. Atleast thats what the forecast says till last night. I appreciate so many advises and the 'know how' of what works best. Thank you all

Old 10-03-2019, 06:48 AM   #27
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Good choice Piscean. As others have mentioned many times, but I will still do it again. had the big buddy for over 15 years. Run it in a tarped tent all the time. No worries.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:31 AM   #28
Twitch
King Salmon

Quote:
Picked this last night...for $99.99. I'll still carry a CO detector and will crack a 3/4inch gap in window. No snow forecast at starkey...even if it is...I'm sure it won't pile up to the window. Temos will be low 40's to upper 30's at night and in low 50's during day. Atleast thats what the forecast says till last night. I appreciate so many advises and the 'know how' of what works best. Thank you all

If you aren't running green bottles, BE SURE TO USE A FILTER!!!
Old 10-03-2019, 08:35 AM   #29
piscean
Chromer

Quote:

Using the green coleman 16 oz propane....hope thats okay

Old 10-03-2019, 09:21 AM   #30
SImudBogger
Brood stock

Quote:

We brought one of those last weekend to heat the tent.... unfortunately didn’t bring any D batteries to lower the dang thing lol. Thank goodness for 0 degree sleeping bags.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:39 AM   #31
piscean
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SImudBogger View Post
We brought one of those last weekend to heat the tent.... unfortunately didn’t bring any D batteries to lower the dang thing lol. Thank goodness for 0 degree sleeping bags.
I dont even know that it needs D type battery..but I have a coleman lantern which takes D type battery...and I put 8 pack of those in my totes...good thing you mentioned it....I have em...thnx!! Extra battery is always good thing....

Old 10-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #32
Buck Fever
Steelhead

You do need batteries to run the fan. Heater will work without them but the fan obviously helps distribute the heat better.
Buck Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #33
tile guy
Steelhead

Quote:
Bought one this year and it worked great. Green propane cans last about 3 hrs on high and about 6-7hrs on low. will be getting fuel filter so i can run off bigger tanks
tile guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 09:18 AM   #34
Odell
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by tile guy View Post
Bought one this year and it worked great. Green propane cans last about 3 hrs on high and about 6-7hrs on low. will be getting fuel filter so i can run off bigger tanks
Ever since I started using a large tank I have had multiple issues with the heater. The filter has helped. I have taken that dang thing apart so many different times I feel like I could start a small business repairing them.

Quick tip--- use Q-tips to swap out the pilot light area from time to time. Take half of the cotton off the q-tip as getting it stuck in there is a pain
Old 10-05-2019, 09:58 AM   #35
weld22
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odell View Post
Ever since I started using a large tank I have had multiple issues with the heater. The filter has helped. I have taken that dang thing apart so many different times I feel like I could start a small business repairing them.

Quick tip--- use Q-tips to swap out the pilot light area from time to time. Take half of the cotton off the q-tip as getting it stuck in there is a pain

This, with the Q-tips.

Also it helps on long hoses, to turn the propane on and push the plunger on the hose end that connects to the heater to help purge the air out of the line. Takes a lot of starting attempts to fill a 10 foot hose.
weld22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #36
Colorado300wsm
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerjo13 View Post
they work good but the ones that have the auto shut off dont work at elevations above 4500 or 5000 feet. Not enough O2 and the auto shut off kicks in.
NOT true at all. I use my Mr Heater Big Buddy, with the ODS system, all the time at 9000ft.

I use my heater attached to a 20 gallon tank and run the hose from the outside. I crack one of the vents in my Kodiak Canvas 10x14 tent, but it doesn’t need it. My carbon monoxide detector has never even registered off zero. On high setting, the Mr Heater will cook you out of the tent, and on low, it keeps the tent nice and warm around 65 degrees all night even in temps well below freezing.
Colorado300wsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #37
FrogPond
Sturgeon

I ruined a little buddy after it got clogged and wouldn't light. I took it apart and made an awful mess of the thing. I really enjoyed having heat in the shed until that happened. Any advice on how to keep that from happening again if I get another one?

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979
FrogPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:12 AM   #38
dla
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPond View Post
I ruined a little buddy after it got clogged and wouldn't light. I took it apart and made an awful mess of the thing. I really enjoyed having heat in the shed until that happened. Any advice on how to keep that from happening again if I get another one?
Use a filter when running from a remote tank.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:20 AM   #39
Fiskiller
Fry

I have a Blickle tent 15 x 15 I run a Big Buddy Heater and I don't even take my wood stove with me anymore. Plug in heat don't have to cut wood anymore just burn hole trees in the fire
Fiskiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:37 PM   #40
Odell
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogPond View Post

Take it all apart and blow air through every part. Use the costumer service dept. they are pretty good at troubleshooting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2019, 05:30 PM   #41
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Good thread, good information. Funny how they say "indoor approved" yet all the caution folks use. Smart...................
JIMBOUY is offline   Reply With Quote