Help pick my new rifle - Page 2 - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #61
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Help pick my new rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by in 'em View Post
Yes! And good point, that’s the only downside to a brake in my opinion, you gotta has ear plugs. I made that mistake once, never again. My kids are more adamant than I am about making sure they have hearing protection in. He shot a nice buck this weekend with it, and we got a cougar too! Before both they asked for ear plugs! I keep 3 pair in my bino carrier, they keep them in their pack too. I need to get some of those ones you can keep around your neck easily.
I use these and love them.

https://www.walkersgameear.com/passi...actable-plugs/

they carry them at sportsmans

wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2019, 03:16 PM   #62
in 'em

Thanks! I'll check those out!
in 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:46 PM   #63
Timber hunter
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk Camp Rodge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber hunter View Post
I love my Kimber Hunter. I don’️t have that issue in the field. But I haven’️t shot anything past 50 yards yet either. I can shoot it well out to 500 without a sled though. Deep breath and squeeze. I’️m not sure I would like it in a .300 win mag though, Ouch.
Bought it 2yrs ago and I’️ve killed 3 deer (195yd ID, 150yds ID, 10yds OR) missed at least 3 (150-400yds all ID) and two bears (240yd and 270yds) all shots, except the buck at 10yds, were taken with a solid rest (shooting sticks, stump, etc). No other centerfire I own has a hit:miss ratio like that [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.ifish.net/board/images/smilies/facepalm.gif[/IMG] lol

Met a guy who told me about shooting a mountain ascent 300win with a brake on it... swore it had less recoil than a .243. I’️ll take hit word for it lol
I hope I don’t have that happen to me! You’ve convinced me to bring my old M70 .300WM with me to New Mexico for back up.
Timber hunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:55 PM   #64
Elk Camp Rodge
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber hunter View Post
I hope I don’t have that happen to me! You’ve convinced me to bring my old M70 .300WM with me to New Mexico for back up.
It’s weird how some rifle and shooter combos don’t jive... my kimber could shoot a whole box of ammo through 1 ragged hole on a bench but put an animal in the cross hairs and I feel like I might as well have a hand full of rocks. Couple of my other rifles are 1 1/2moa on their best day at the range but inside 300yds, those rounds are like heat seeking cruise missiles.
"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
Elk Camp Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #65
Elk Camp Rodge
Tuna!

For those that are curios I’m going to go with the MRC. Called Sportsmans and they’re going to pull it off the shelf for me... hope to duck out of work early enough to go down and get it tonight, if not tomorrow morning
"When the last deer disappears into the morning mist, When the last elk vanishes from the hills, When the last buffalo falls on the plains, I will hunt mice for I am a hunter and I must have my freedom." Chief Joseph
Elk Camp Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:01 PM   #66
mink
Steelhead

I hope it works out good for you, the 2 that I've dealt with had short mag boxes and long throats.
mink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #67
backcountryhunter5
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
For long range work, I much prefer a lighter trigger pull. 12-16oz (Save the sermon. I'm not telling you how to run your rifle. I can operate mine just fine)

So either a Tikka, or a Remington clone.

After shooting several Tikkas, and having friends who have some Rem clone variant (That usually run 3x as much money as Tikka), I have a hard time rationalizing one. I can buy a scope with good dials and the rifle for the cost of a Rem clone.

Spend the rest on practice ammo and a shooting school.
+ + and...+
backcountryhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #68
gottafish
King Salmon

I have the Winchester extreme weather in 300 wm. Topped with a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm Rifle scope with range finding recital Its a really great rifle. Its 26 inch barrel . I dont hunt elk with a rifle, This gun is to much for deer in my opinion. I bought a savage light weight hunter in .308 and I love that little gun. both are tack drivers. My .300wm has become a safe queen since I got the savage.
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote