2020 Weekly Temp & Chloro Updates - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 06-28-2020, 10:44 AM   #1
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Default 2020 Weekly Temp & Chloro Updates

Since we use the sea temp & chloro images for both tuna & salmon, I figure it would be helpful to just keep a running thread on the images as we get updates.

As of today, here's the latest surface temp shot (6-26). As you can see, it's pretty clear that the recent winds have cooled down the nearshore. But offshore, the same warm plume (62+) is still there. This is pretty normal, as the high winds are closer to the coast (less than 100 miles) because the hot air over land causes a steeper pressure gradient.

This is the latest chloro, 6-26. Yes there is upwelling nearshore where the wind is, but offshore there are several clean plumes coming in.

This is from 6-23. I'm posting one-day shots rather than 3 day composite so you can see the actual pieces, vs a blend which isn't always realistic

So the tuna highway is coming along nicely. The nearshore wind & cold water upwelling has me a bit excited & hopeful for a good chinook year.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:28 PM   #2
Brine Shrimp
Tuna!

Thanks for posting. With all the chatter referring to terafin and ripcharts I can start to doubt myself. Often times what people are saying differs from what I am seeing on coastwatch. From what I understand they use these same data but maybe extrapolate a bit when the shots are incomplete?

Either way, the corners looked worth checking out on 6/26. Hopefully that water moves a little further in
Brine Shrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:53 PM   #3
Bigmaverick
Tuna!

Thank you for the updates, this is really helpful!!
Bigmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #4
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Default Re: 2020 Weekly Temp & Chloro Updates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine Shrimp View Post
From what I understand they use these same data but maybe extrapolate a bit when the shots are incomplete?
The different services use data from the same satellites and shore-based systems. It's what they do with that data (the software, the processing & presentation, etc.) that sets them apart.

For an interesting test: compare a Terrafin image with the same Coastwatch image. You might be surprised.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:58 PM   #5
Rip
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brine Shrimp View Post
Thanks for posting. With all the chatter referring to terafin and ripcharts I can start to doubt myself. Often times what people are saying differs from what I am seeing on coastwatch...
There are a lot of apples and oranges out there that are often compared (raw scan, computer models, composites, cloud free). Each one has it's own purpose, advantages, and limitations.

One exercise would be to compare your satellite image with a buoy reading from the same point in time. It will give you a reference on how close to the truth your satellite image is. (but also note - some buoys may not be very accurate either)

Below is a simple comparison from the new RipCharts G17 dataset with buoy readings from approximately the same time. This raw satellite image aligns pretty close to the buoy readings.

Last edited by Rip; 06-29-2020 at 08:53 PM. Reason: quote
Rip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #6
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Watch this thread and learn to use the available data to advantage.

In an old thread, Mark Mc helped me understand what he's doing with Chloro/Temp 'pics' from:
https://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/coa...animationFPS=2 (NOAA CoastWatch)
It's really good stuff.

I now look daily and save two comparison shots of wide/close view all season long, whenever the view is clear. I date the saved files: 'YYYY-MM-DD'. Eventually it will be an archive over time: YY...YY...YY.

The purpose is location predictions (+entertainment?).

Don't neglect NOAA and other weather/surf/swell forecasts: The purpose is safety at sea.

Last edited by IIonPilgrimg; 07-01-2020 at 09:58 PM.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote