Coronavirus Crisis Effect on Ocean Temperature - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 03-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #1
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Default Coronavirus Crisis Effect on Ocean Temperature

In the immediate aftermath of the 9-11 crisis the measurable effect of sunlight on the surface of the earth,(mostly seawater) shot up 6% in a week due to the radical reduction of air travel. With the contrails of the jets creating only a fraction of the shade they typically provide, the power of the sun on the surface of the planet, expressed in "watts per square meter" increased overnight, predictably and measurably.

While this quick blip barely registered with the general population, many of us did take note and discussed the potential impact on SST and Global temperatures in general if a longer term major reduction of air traffic were to occur.

Well, fast forward 20 years. The next couple months will provide some interesting data.

This is not meant to alarm anyone or to suggest we can do anything about it. We are just along for the ride. Nor is this meant to reach the many who are convinced that human activity has no effect on temperature.

Instead, this post is meant to raise awareness among those who understand and can believe basic mathematics and science. This meant to show how interconnected cause and effect on this shrinking planet have become, and perhaps, for those of us with time to ponder, help us understand how this crises will affect the ocean we all depend on..
JE

Last edited by Joe Evens; 03-30-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Joe Evens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
schaeway
Tuna!

Default Re: Coronavirus Crisis Effect on Ocean Temperature

And without the cruise ships on the ocean, I'm sure the temperature will bump up since most of them are painted white and reflect the sun back.
schaeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #3
Gun Rod Bow
King Salmon

Micro effects versus Macro

Some are obvious:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/phot...-lockdown.html

Major drop in carbon Monoxide in urban areas etc.

For lack of flights to have a measurable effect on sea surface temps seems much more tenuous to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 AM   #4
ron m
King Salmon

At least for a short period of time, there is less, considerably less, carbon dioxide going into the atmosphere. What the effects (or lack of) from that reduction remain to be determined. Certainly earth's systems interconnect in more ways than we know.
ron m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #5
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Rod Bow View Post
Micro effects versus Macro

Some are obvious:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/18/phot...-lockdown.html

Major drop in carbon Monoxide in urban areas etc.

For lack of flights to have a measurable effect on sea surface temps seems much more tenuous to me.
Direct micro vs indirect macro effects. Precisely why I suggested a couple months to begin compiling data. Six percent in a week was a spike worthy of consideration. There is a lot of dark colored water out there.

Some areas, where every degree is critical, like the Great Barrier Reef, may well experience a quicker effect, though some will likely see a bleached reef as reflective, and good, others may not.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 03-30-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:35 AM   #6
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Few would question that going back to horses and paddle boats would produce a cleaner environment. Simply banning the use of engines for recreational boating worldwide would show results. I'm in if everyone else is.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:31 AM   #7
ron m
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Few would question that going back to horses and paddle boats would produce a cleaner environment. Simply banning the use of engines for recreational boating worldwide would show results. I'm in if everyone else is.
Pretty safe offer to make on a fishing board where the majority fish from boats!
ron m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
adrenaline
King Salmon

Water warms & cools at a much slower rate than air, the larger the body of water the longer it takes to warm, & longer it takes to cool, I doubt a short term effect of more sunshine hitting the water vrs less carbon in the atmosphere will have any meaningful effect either way, what we do in the long run after this worldwide shutdown will have way more effect.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:25 PM   #9
Fishplay
Ifish Nate

Damn this really concerns me JE. Our oceans are HOT as it is. Dear Issac Newton the glaciers are sure to be completely gone by the time chicken little quits yelling.

I have very little control over this but my scientific mathematician brain tells me...do what you can Greg. So here's my plan and my plea to all to join me.

I'm going out to my juiced up F450 Diesel and go for a drive (by myself) and let the BLACK SMOKE ROLL!!

If we can reduce the warming affect by even 1% it will undoubtedly save an iceberg.

Of coarse that will lead to long term Climate Change (formerly known as Global Warming for all you nonscientific types) but Daddy always said "we'll cross that bridge when we get there". Daddy was a rube after all and never was any good at syfer'in or scyentificken.

*This isn't meant to upset any elitists incapable of common sense.

Member #472

2484 Sea Raider
Fishplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

It never fails to impress me how the sea surface layer rises in temperature daily on sunny days by several degrees vs cloudy days which might climb half as much. Over night this is of course absorbed and mixed thru deeper layers and the atmosphere for the much slower over all effect.

As said in my original post, a couple months of data will be interesting.

Elitist? Wow, Thanks! Maybe I'm moving up in the world. Anyone who knows me will likely find that notion laughable.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 03-30-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:47 PM   #11
yaknitup
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
I'm in. Lets do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0518.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	742645  
yaknitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:50 PM   #12
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaknitup View Post
I'm in. Lets do this.
Thanks for you help!
Old 03-30-2020, 03:04 PM   #13
adrenaline
King Salmon

Sea surface temperatures warm & cool at a fairly fast rate depending on, sun, wind, & current, & will add to the mix either way, as does rivers & bays, takes much longer to reach the depths of the oceans either way tho.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:13 PM   #14
Blue fin
Tuna!

Anyone else see the satellite images over Italy before and after a while showing the effects of so much less pollution being shuttered in? Interesting
Blue fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:21 PM   #15
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue fin View Post
Anyone else see the satellite images over Italy before and after a while showing the effects of so much less pollution being shuttered in? Interesting
Beijing, too.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:34 PM   #16
Headhunter
King Salmon

Dorado & bill fish out of Little Italy...always a silver lining if you look for it.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:57 AM   #17
wak'm&stak'm
King Salmon

[IMG]V [/IMG]

Speaking of warm spots...the ocean looks pretty cool compared to other places.

Here is a inferred shot from the newer satellite, those bright yellow areas are NOT lights but HEAT signatures.....? All those freeways, parking lots and roof tops just sucking up all that sunshine.
If one was to overlay this map on a Coronavirus map, .... draw your own conclusions.

Not judging .....

So put away the flame throwers.

Last edited by wak'm&stak'm; 03-31-2020 at 07:52 AM.
wak'm&stak'm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:49 AM   #18
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post
It never fails to impress me how the sea surface layer rises in temperature daily on sunny days by several degrees vs cloudy days which might climb half as much. Over night this is of course absorbed and mixed thru deeper layers and the atmosphere for the much slower over all effect.

As said in my original post, a couple months of data will be interesting.

Elitist? Wow, Thanks! Maybe I'm moving up in the world. Anyone who knows me will likely find that notion laughable.
Anybody with an IQ over 90 is considered an "Elitists" Joe.
Old 03-31-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Anybody with an IQ over 90 is considered an "Elitists" Joe.
Well, that may or may not include me , but there is a gulf between "elitist" and the pragmatist I consider myself to be.

Last edited by Joe Evens; 03-31-2020 at 08:26 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 07:00 AM   #20
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Evens View Post
Well, that may or may not include me , but there is a gulf between "elitist" and the pragmatist I consider myself to be.
Somewhere between "elitists" & "genius" among the "pragmatist" crowd, it's all relative. If you constantly find the need to be told how smart, or great you are...than you failed miserably.
Old 04-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #21
adrenaline
King Salmon

Weather forecasting is not as accurate lately with the stay at home strategy, computer models slowly adjusted their forecasting thru the decades to include human activity, like air polution, & jet trails, the sudden change has computer models slow to adjust, seems obvious humans have more of an impact on weather/climate that we knew. Our planet is also not moving as much as before the pandemic, this might explain why places like Idaho not known for earthquakes, recently had an earthquake, but too soon to say for sure.

Last edited by adrenaline; 04-04-2020 at 09:18 AM.
adrenaline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 12:42 PM   #22
Jon55
Chromer

Interesting thought/discussion topic Joe. I think we all wish we had something else to do. I'm getting a little bored, especially with this cool damp weather making working in the garden a little uncomfortable.

"In the immediate aftermath of the 9-11 crisis the measurable effect of sunlight on the surface of the earth,(mostly seawater) shot up 6% in a week due to the radical reduction of air travel."

Very interesting, but what, if any, effect did this have on ocean water temps? Airlines are shut down even more now but the length of time they are shut down may not differ much from 20 years ago.

Another thought crossed my mind when I read an article about commercial tuna fishermen out of San Diego coming back to a world that was isolating and they had nowhere to sell their catch, so they were selling off the dock in a "farmer's market" type of arrangement (their words, not mine).

The thought that crossed my mind was, "How much catch is going to be left in the sea due to several (???) months of no commercial fishing? and How will that affect the sport fishing industry?"

On the sports side, party boats aren't going out anywhere and it may be that way for several months. Private boats are not going out as much because of launch closures. That's a lot of fish that are not being caught. What effect is this going to have on our fishery?

The fishing may be terrific when all this is done. At least for a while.

Last edited by Jon55; 04-04-2020 at 12:45 PM.
Jon55 is offline   Reply With Quote