Thunder jet luxor ob os 20' question - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 02-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #1
WadeB
Cutthroat

Default Thunder jet luxor ob os 20' question

I'm looking into a luxor ob os. Does anyone have thoughts on how well it runs out in the ocean compared to the others out there? Anyone have one in the Garibaldi area that wouldn't mind a ride along so I can see how it handles?

Thanks for any Input.

WadeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2015, 06:14 AM   #2
cj6530
Tuna!

Default Re: Thunder jet luxor ob os 20' question

Honestly......they all run about the same in that length class. Judge it vs the others based on configuration (storage/battery location).
cj6530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 PM   #3
kwik karl
Chromer

My buddy has one and it handled the buoy ten season last year really nice. I've never been in the ocean in it but, it was rougher than a cob last year at Hammond and it handled nice.

KK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #4
MP
Tuna!

I mainly fish the ocean in mine. It will handle more than I can. It's not as nice a ride as a 24' glass boat but after a 50 mile run to the tuna grounds and back I am usually not sore or fatigued. Hydraulic steering and suspension seats are a real nice addition if you dont have them. It's great on gas too.

I'm hoping to get all my winter maintenance done in the next couple weeks and go out for some bottom fish. If I have an open seat your welcome to ride along.
MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 09:03 AM   #5
DesertFishing
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP View Post
I mainly fish the ocean in mine. It will handle more than I can. It's not as nice a ride as a 24' glass boat but after a 50 mile run to the tuna grounds and back I am usually not sore or fatigued. Hydraulic steering and suspension seats are a real nice addition if you dont have them. It's great on gas too.

I'm hoping to get all my winter maintenance done in the next couple weeks and go out for some bottom fish. If I have an open seat your welcome to ride along.
MP- (I know this is old thread but..)
How are you feeling about the Luxor OS after several years? I'm comparing to a 21 Seahawk. I won't be in the ocean, but big lakes and CR (3-4' chop).
Thank.
DesertFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #6
bad dog
Chromer

I love my. use it in ocean 90% of the time. been in some pretty ugly water. it handles more than you want to be in. Every boat has something that could be improved. I would buy it again.
bad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
Reel fortunate
Ifish Nate

I had 400 salt hours on my 03 model. It was a great boat. Pick your days and you will enjoy the efficiency of as well as the versatility of the boat. If it rides to rough slow down ! No hurry were having fun out there.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:04 AM   #8
bad dog
Chromer

For the ocean you do need suspension seats. I went with smooth move ultra. The base bolt right up.
bad dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
ejduffer
Steelhead

I have a 20’ Luxor OB that has suspension seats so it’s pretty comfortable on the ocean. Prior to that I had an 18 Trophy that cut the waves much better but had solid seats.

I’m happy with mine in salt but I don’t go out unless it’s pretty flat.
ejduffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:04 AM   #10
MP
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertFishing View Post
MP- (I know this is old thread but..)
How are you feeling about the Luxor OS after several years? I'm comparing to a 21 Seahawk. I won't be in the ocean, but big lakes and CR (3-4' chop).
Thank.
Missed this reply. Sorry.

I love the boat. 80% of my use is in the ocean for Tuna, salmon and bottom fish. No issues with the kicker or main. The trailer axles are shot and need replacing this spring. Nice galvanized trailer but the axles were not made for the salt. Seats need to be recovered as the tops are sun bleached even though I keep it covered when not in use. I have to replace snaps on the top on a regular basis but top is still in good shape.

I have used the boat on the CR, willy and many lakes in Oregon. I have been out 60 miles for tuna (that my max range without bigger saddle tanks). I pull the kids around on a wakeboard and tube also. For me and my uses its all the boat I need. If I had the funds for a 24-26ft glass boat would be nice but then the gas bill goes way up also and not ideal for some lakes.

I love the Thunderjet hull. Its a little underpowered with a 140 main but I load it up with Ice, 4 guys and tuna gear and 72 gal of gas and its slow out of the hole but no issues getting up on plane and it will do 35mph in the bay or a glass ocean loaded down and the top up.

I have no experience with Northriver but I am sure they would work as well. I made an offer on one but it fell through before I bought this TJ.

Whatever aluminum boat you get consider suspension seats if your fishing the B10 area. While these aluminum boats aren't too bad in rough seas they are much bumpier than a saltwater glass boat of similar size.
MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 12:12 PM   #11
MattPark
King Salmon

A buddy used to have a 20 OB OS and it was a fine vessel. It took more abuse on the ocean than it should have. We ran it 50-60 miles for tuna for years with the Suzuki 140, not the engine I would choose but it was certainly a reliable engine that never had any issue. It doesn't ride as well in chop as a 21 Seahawk, but neither of then ride well in 3-4' of it.

From what I've seen in used boats, the TJ OB OS models are a better value. If you are comparing a similar sized boat with a similar price tag, I'd pick the NR.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:26 AM   #12
DesertFishing
Coho

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DesertFishing is offline   Reply With Quote