Bluefin So/cal - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Foreel
Tuna!

Default Bluefin So/cal

Reports are coming in that fish are starting to be caught close..From another site..I think I'm gonna try and tow down this year? Anyone who has a pulse got anything to say?

Foreel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 10:02 AM   #2
Puffin
Sturgeon

Default Re: Bluefin So/cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreel View Post
Reports are coming in that fish are starting to be caught close..From another site..I think I'm gonna try and tow down this year? Anyone who has a pulse got anything to say?
When are you planning this adventure we towed down there one year my buddy came from Wyoming I drove in my other buddy from here flew we all joined up down there had a blast we didn’t go for Bluefin but we got yellowfin like six or 8 miles off the beach lots of tuna around down there
If the coast guard says GO FISH we do.
Puffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #3
Foreel
Tuna!

Its starting now I have a pic of a fish just caught 5 miles off shore, coming back to bal boa yacht club..problem is, 10 miles for bait receiver..but, flat falls are responsible for lots of causalities..April the other receiver open..this could be little pressure right..not giant fish but, 50 to 80 lbs..those are perfect eaters..i could run for a couple weeks at anytime..it would be fun to caravan with a bunch of folks..it would be easier to communicate on the water cause I aint gonna get many come backs on the radio..I have a friend who is there and does this..He would be a great resource for me..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
Chass
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreel View Post
I could also be interested in this. I may tow down myself.

After the trip on the New Lo-An we had last year, it got me pretty excited about going out on my own boat and giving it a shot.

Which site did you see reports of fish being caught? There are no reports of tuna on the Point loma site yet.

Chass

Last edited by Chass; 02-18-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Chass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
plumbertom
Steelhead

How close?
The Cortez Bank/Bishop Rock is about 60 miles west of San Diego. Many of the party boats consider that close in.
I always called them close when they were inside the San Clemente/Catalina channel. About 25-35 miles.
I've caught Bluefin as close in as the Nine Mile bank.
I've even read of Yellowfin being caught off the piers.
As for towing that far south, it might be better money wise to consider hiring a sixpack.
You get a local Capt/guide that has contacts with many of the other sport boats down there and you have a much better chance of finding the fish.
Not trying to discourage your towing trip, I certainly understand the desire to be the one in contorl of your fishing. I ran my 24' all around the area when it would have been less expensive to take a party boat out.
But I lived in OC then and all the launches were just a short tow.
plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:45 AM   #6
Foreel
Tuna!

you are not going to see a bunch of info about this..I'm not from so/cal..So i posted what info from the pic that was sent to me..The pay site off of BD will give some good info most of the time.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #7
Foreel
Tuna!

I get the expense however, i like the adventure and really catching with some info instead of just reeling in fish that another captain found..I will do it but I'd rather not..I fished el banco and Corbetna (sp) in my own boat..kinda bucket list stuff..Maybe go on charter for a trip or 2 and then use my boat..???
Old 02-18-2020, 11:09 AM   #8
parker28
Steelhead

Here we go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F6CDD8C-ADE3-4280-A446-9C7A51646F6A_1582056501343.png
Views:	192
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	740261  
parker28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 12:01 PM   #9
Foreel
Tuna!

yup thats the pic..
Old 02-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #10
Foreel
Tuna!

still happening pretty good as far a first hand reports..
Old 02-19-2020, 10:39 AM   #11
Mark Mc
King Salmon

The reports I've seen of fish being caught last few days....are saying San Clemente / Dana Point area, within 10 miles of the coast; not from the offshore banks.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #12
Shake N Bake Sportfishing

Looks like NOAA thinks it will be a better year than last year, which was amazing.

They upped the commercial quota from 274 last year to 356 this year.

https://www.fishrapnews.com/features...a-catch-limit/

I predict Jimmy Wu will catch a big one up north this year.

Only 4 more months until tuna.

Mike C
Shake N Bake Sportfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #13
Mark Mc
King Salmon

See if I can c p this....

Here is the report from JD's Big Game on February 9th.

Good News-- This mornings AM radio fish talk radio program had Tom Green call in- he's a spotter pilot aviator currently spotting for the Tuna fleet-- As you know the Pacific Bluefin Tuna being under management has a quota allowed harvest per year. Tom enjoying the air for the past 48 years has a pretty good perspective on the West Coast's ocean sealife . A good judge of size and mass of tunas school being seen from above. Quote " If you thought the schools of tuna were big last year-- wait till you see what's coming!" remarking of a school he's seen 2 miles in length and 1/2 mile wide-- big Pacific Bluefin Tuna.--nothing looked to be under 160 lbs-- Yikes!

Tom's position helped the Tuna fleet to obtain their yearly quota! Feb ! -- in three weeks fishing time they filled their fill- When asked about the fishes movements pertaining what we as So Calif boaters could hope for, Weather dictates it mainly-- cold water pushing down from the North may stall it- depends on the next few months in

weather. The tuna fleet had been working the grounds 40 miles above Cedros Islands and over a three week period the schools moved to 80 miles above the island-- 40 mile in 21 days-- just under 2 miles a day-- Satilite images show the Ocean currents today flowing at 280 degrees at 0.3 km/h .
Old 02-21-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
Chad D.
Tuna!

I’m not sure how I feel about using aircraft to hunt for the fish. Seems like a really good way to deplete a resource.

How is this different than using aircraft to hunt in AK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 12:45 PM   #15
H_histrionicus
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad D. View Post

How is this different than using aircraft to hunt in AK?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s actually more closely related to using aircraft to locate herring for the commercial roe fishery in Alaska
Old 02-22-2020, 09:34 PM   #16
PharmDoc
Ifish Nate

I’ll be taking the millenium flounder down to SD with the goal of pursuing BFT on iron. Four new purpose built jig sticks will be coming off my wrapper this winter. I’m planning for a week and a half in both October and November this year...both around the new moon cycles.
We had good fishing this past November on a full moon cycle on the New Lo An out of Point Loma.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:53 PM   #17
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmDoc View Post
I’ll be taking the millenium flounder down to SD with the goal of pursuing BFT on iron. Four new purpose built jig sticks will be coming off my wrapper this winter. I’m planning for a week and a half in both October and November this year...both around the new moon cycles.
We had good fishing this past November on a full moon cycle on the New Lo An out of Point Loma.
Nice Aaron. Not sure if it'll happen this year but I also plan to trailer down and Target them.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote