Build Thread: 93 Reinell Offshore 23'. - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 01-04-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Default Build Thread: 93 Reinell Offshore 23'.

I thought I'd throw this up here. I bought a 93 Reinell Offshore 23' in May of 18. I got it at a really good price as the boat had a rod knock and was going to need updating. The Furuno radar, and Lowrance Chart plotter were top notch equipment back in the day, but I wanted the latest wizz-bangs in there.

Last edited by Hold Fast; 01-04-2019 at 09:39 PM.
Hold Fast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #2
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Default Re: Build Thread: 93 Reinell Offshore 23'.

I pulled the motor out. It's an OMC Chevy 350cid that had a rod knock.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #3
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Here's the replacement motor that's going back in. It's another chevy 350 marine engine I got shipped from Summit Racings marine division. It's a 270hp motor and I'm putting an aluminum intake manifold on, rebuilding the carb and replacing all the accessories.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2019, 09:15 PM   #4
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Stripped all the old electronics out and sold them. They were still in good shape and went to a good home...

Last edited by Hold Fast; 01-04-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:17 PM   #5
Hold Fast
Steelhead

New radar stand went on the roof to get the dome up off the roof better. Hopefully that will take care of any shadowing caused by the dome sitting directly on the roof.

New LED Flood for the cockpit area....

Lowrance 3G installed and plumbed... You can see the new Golight spotlight up there, too. Installed that, as well.

Last edited by Hold Fast; 01-04-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #6
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Got rid of the old 15 hp johnson and bought a used Yahama 15hp, electric start kicker. That should do juuuust fine.

New name for the boat "HOLD FAST"... a nautical name for an old navy salt.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
JeffO
Chromer

Thank you for sharing this. Since I will likely go a similar route it's inspiring. Any rough idea where you'll end up as far as $$, aside from the electronics upgrades?
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:30 PM   #8
Wet dreams
Steelhead

I have the same boat that will be going up for sale in the springtime.
I put a factory new 5.7 in it also. It has about 100 hrs on the new motor. I used to moor at chinook and would run out to the CR buoy for salmon and would use 12-16 gallons of fuel. Closer to 16 if the bottom needed cleaning.
Wet dreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Thanks, guys... I'll post more pics as I go along.

Including the original price of the boat, and basically gutting and rebuilding everything, with new electronics I'll be into it for right about $20k. I'm doing a lot of the work though. The only thing I haven't done was rebuilt the outdrive, and install the engine/outdrive. I'm leaving the alignment work to a professional. I'll probably end up with 80-100 hours in wiring alone. If you were going to have a marine repair place do that you are going to be into it for more than the boats worth!
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet dreams View Post
I put a factory new 5.7 in it also. It has about 100 hrs on the new motor. I used to moor at chinook and would run out to the CR buoy for salmon and would use 12-16 gallons of fuel. Closer to 16 if the bottom needed cleaning.

Not familiar with that area so the numbers aren't helping. What did you do for a bow plank? Post up pictures. How do you like the boat? Pros/cons?
Old 01-05-2019, 07:20 PM   #11
Wet dreams
Steelhead

Bow plank is original just kept it oiled,it is teak.
Boat is fine fuel tank is to small wanted to chase tuna. With the dog house just lost to much room. I trailed from Hoods Canal to Fort Bragg CA. It caught a lot of fish. It would handle water rougher than I cared to be in. The new one being bigger is easier to get the kids and spouses and friends out easier. I bought the reinell new so had it a while.
Wet dreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 07:35 AM   #12
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Nice clean boat. Like the cuddy and great you know what you are doing around a boat, this being your first one.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:02 AM   #13
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Bow plank is original just kept it oiled,it is teak.
Boat is fine fuel tank is to small wanted to chase tuna. With the dog house just lost to much room. I trailed from Hoods Canal to Fort Bragg CA. It caught a lot of fish. It would handle water rougher than I cared to be in. The new one being bigger is easier to get the kids and spouses and friends out easier. I bought the reinell new so had it a while.

Yeah that factory fuel cell is miserably small. It's literally only about 40-50g. Like I said, they did put an aux cell in the water closet which is only about another 25g, and used the fresh water fill cap to fill the aux. I thought that was pretty smart. I'll pull that and put a custom fab'd aluminum cell in there, and bump my total fuel capacity up. I'd like to carry as much as possible. Hopefully around 120g.
Old 01-06-2019, 10:57 AM   #14
positize
Sturgeon

Quote:
Sounds about right. As a comparison in my 22' aluminum boat with Honda 150/8HP motors, I have made that Chinook to CR Buoy trip many times. it is always around 6-9 gallons for the day depending on how much time I run around at the CR buoy on the big motor: 6 gallons if all trolling once at the buoy, 9 if running back and forth a lot.

When I went from my 5.7 in a glass Seaswirl to the Hondas in an aluminum boat, was almost exactly half the fuel usage. The 5.7 was always super reliable (I loved that motor), and a friend rebuilt a Reinell that turned out beautifully (gutted the interior, converted to ETec outboard), but the 5.7s are not as miserly with fuel usage as modern outboards. Gorgeous project: keep up the photos!
Old 01-20-2019, 08:55 PM   #15
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Last update for a while... I rebuilt the Holley 650 vacuum secondary carb for the boat. Shipped it off to the marine guy. He'll have the boat back to me in late March, early April...

Old 01-20-2019, 10:06 PM   #16
Hockinson man
Tuna!

Lots of elbow grease... Looks great. One tip I would share is in regards to your wood deck. I always sand them down then stain with cetol Sikens Natural 078. No more oil and routine maintenance. It will shine and look incredible. I've done this three different times with my ski boats and people always ask how I got it to look new.

Great looking set up.
Hockinson man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #17
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Thanks. I'll look into using that stuff.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:09 PM   #18
Dylan
Chromer

There's lots of different suspension seats out there. . . maybe some cheaper. Try searching the internet, maybe the Salty Dogs. . . to save a few bucks?
Old 02-15-2019, 09:41 PM   #19
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
There's lots of different suspension seats out there. . . maybe some cheaper. Try searching the internet, maybe the Salty Dogs. . . to save a few bucks?

Thanks. I've searched high and low... not a lot of choices out there, unfortunately.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #20
Eric S
Ifish Nate

Dang that’s the easiest carb in the world to rebuild. I can usually knock mine out in about an hour without soaking. They’re dead simple and you get a big benefit by doing the rebuild yourself in learning the inner workings of the carb. Makes little hiccups and burbles easy to identify when she gets moody on the sea.
Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:42 PM   #21
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
Dang that’s the easiest carb in the world to rebuild. I can usually knock mine out in about an hour without soaking. They’re dead simple and you get a big benefit by doing the rebuild yourself in learning the inner workings of the carb. Makes little hiccups and burbles easy to identify when she gets moody on the sea.

Thanks, I've rebuilt many carbs over the years.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:30 AM   #22
edsr
Ifish Nate

There will be (2) seat base suspension mechanisms at the Saltwater Sportsmen's Show auction donated by OCEAN and Ken Murdock of WPS. These are top of the line suspension bases, simply mount your existing seats for a more comfortable ride.
edsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:17 PM   #23
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsr View Post
There will be (2) seat base suspension mechanisms at the Saltwater Sportsmen's Show auction donated by OCEAN and Ken Murdock of WPS. These are top of the line suspension bases, simply mount your existing seats for a more comfortable ride.

Sweet! I'll be there saturday with a buddy. What day is the auction?

s
Old 02-18-2019, 03:20 PM   #24
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Got it.... 1230pm saturday.
https://saltwatersportsmensshow.com/...Hours.2019.pdf
Old 02-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #25
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Made it to the Saltwater Sportsmans Show today. Bought a couple of those seats I've been eyeballing from Englund Marine first thing this morning, before they disappeared... I got $120 off the list price, so not too shabby!

Old 03-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #26
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Another update... I've got spring fever. Ready to do some fishing....

Bought a rocket launcher to replace the one that came with the boat. This is from https://www.fishonsports.com/ a really nice unit. I got the 6 foot model with 9 pole holders, two light pedestals and, also bought a foldable light arch for it. Should turn out really nicely. I'm going to try and figure out how I can turn the outside pole holders into outrigger holders. Trying to kill about five birds with one stone since space is a premium on this boat.

(pictured is their boat with the rocket launcher setup I bought)

Picked up three mustang 5600 SARs. Very nice quality PFD....

Required throwable flotation device...

Last edited by Hold Fast; 03-14-2019 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:30 PM   #27
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Went and saw Lester from Lester's Crab Pots today. Very nice people, btw. I bought his 1.8 hp Power Hauler puller motor setup for the boat. I intend on using it for hauling pots and for pulling the anchor up. I'm going to be running a 16# bruce with 300 foot of rode. Also picked up 3 crab pot lines, 100' length, with bouys.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:56 PM   #28
geterdone
Chromer

Those pot pullers are hands down the best around. Know a few people with them and they are so easy to use and they can pull just about anything up quickly.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 03-14-2019, 05:15 PM   #29
Hold Fast
Steelhead

That's good to hear, and follows right along with my info too. I can tell you one thing, it's a substantial setup! Lol...
Old 05-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #30
Hold Fast
Steelhead

May 4, 2019 update...
I just got back from my marine guy, Ike Teel's place. He had the engine set up and ready to go. It's a 300 hp 5.7L. I bought it from summit racing equipment's marine division, and paid a little extra for the spicy camshaft. I added an aluminum Weiand aluminum intake manifold for off idle-5500 rpm's performance. It was a nice piece that Ike spray painted black. We also added a mini-started for ease of removal/install.

Rebuilt OMC Cobra outdrive... everything was went through and looking good.

The man, the myth, the legend. Also one of the nicest fellows I've ever met. Ike Teel.

The boat, ready to receive the motor and outdrive...

Engines in... Needed new (used) risers, exhaust manifolds, Y pipe, the outdrive connector that passes through the transom (I forget the name of the bracket that gets sandwhiched between the outside and inside of the transom), and the pivot the outdrive bolts to. Ike had all of these things in spare used parts, and available in stock. Unfortunately my boat had a lot of corrosion, and had a leak so at some point in its past it sat in saltwater.

Outdrive's in... The outdrive was actually in pretty good shape, so it just needed a pump rebuilt, and have everything checked/lubed.

Last edited by Hold Fast; 05-04-2019 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:06 PM   #31
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Here's a video of the motor idling after he'd done a little initial tuning, and adjusted the timing. She sounds much better in person. You can hear that lumpity cam. Love it.

https://youtu.be/1NFGHsjmsHM
Old 05-05-2019, 08:00 AM   #32
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

After all the work and cash you have put into that boat I hope she is exactly what you want and I hope she gives you years and years of trouble free fishing.

The motor is awesome

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #33
Soulakala
King Salmon

Very nice job and a lot of work, time and money, but she is all yours and the pride that goes with it. You took a sad old girl and made her into a beauty. She'll do well for you.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:33 PM   #34
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Appreciate it. I'm not quite done yet. I've still got to add some equipment, which I'll share over the next couple of months. I'm working on the boat, and we're coming into my busy season at work, so I'll have to jam it all in... I have to install the crab davit motor and do some updates to the davit. I have to finish adding the new rocket launcher, and relocate some of the wiring. I have to finish up my wiring on the chart plotter, the radar, and link 8 radar. We're refinishing the teak wood on the swim deck, the bow plank. Building a fishing gear cabinet where the old fridge/stove/sink cabinet used to be, increasing the size of the aux tank, blah blah blah. I'll post more as I go.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:56 PM   #35
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Finally got the boat home at 0130 hours this morning.... slept for a while and up and at it. Still lots to do.

I pulled a seat to get at the track. The old seat tracks are narrower than the new seats. I'll get some on order...

I installed the new rocket launcher with the help of a friend. We pulled the hold one and moved the mounting location to the top of the upright supports for the hard top. That way they're all sandwiched together. Should lend it some great strength. I also moved the cb antenna back, and the nav light back to the rocket launcher. The outside pole holders are going to be some modified 15 foot surf poles i'll use as outriggers...

Next up will be wiring the new blue sea bladed fuse block into the boat. I'll reconnect everything up forward and start finish wiring the chart plotter, radar, vhf radio, etc. etc...

Last edited by Hold Fast; 05-21-2019 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:54 PM   #36
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold Fast View Post
Finally got the boat home at 0130 hours this morning.... slept for a while and up and at it. Still lots to do.

It's an awesome feeling when the issues are all resolved.
I lost patience with the wiring and recruited a lot of help .
My biggest problem is getting into and out of the boat sitting on the trailer after messing up my knee in January.
I'm happy to report that I'm getting the strength back in my legs and walking around without too much pain. I just have to go slow and easy so I don't fall again...

I pulled a seat to get at the track. The old seat tracks are narrower than the new seats. I'll get some on order...

I installed the new rocket launcher with the help of a friend. We pulled the hold one and moved the mounting location to the top of the upright supports for the hard top. That way they're all sandwiched together. Should lend it some great strength. I also moved the cb antenna back, and the nav light back to the rocket launcher. The outside pole holders are going to be some modified 15 foot surf poles i'll use as outriggers...

Next up will be wiring the new blue sea bladed fuse block into the boat. I'll reconnect everything up forward and start finish wiring the chart plotter, radar, vhf radio, etc. etc...
I highly recommend that you put in a double ground because the ground is the first thing that seems to fail
Don't scrimp on the heat shrink connectors or the tinned copper wire.
If you need some connectors I have enough to wire up a dozen boats. I bought a huge selection and then when I needed them I couldn't find them. A few guys donated some and of course that's when I found the big box that I bought months ago.
I drive through Canby frequently and can drop off what you need.
I won't take any$$ for them but would drink an ice cold diet soda while you do a show and tell if you have any.
Let me know what you need and I'll put a kit together for you.
If you find 7amp fuses buy extras. I'm having a hard time finding them without buying a kit that has sizes I'll never need. I ended up using a 10 amp for one of the depth sounders just because I wanted it isolated from the other electronics that called for the 7's

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 06:47 AM   #37
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Hank, thanks so much for the offer. You're always welcome to come over! I'll start the wiring process soon and will get a hold of you.

I pulled the crab davit arm the other day and cut the old motor/pulley brackets off, dusted it up, and squirted some new paint on it. I'll work on mounting the Power Hauler motor I bought from Lester's tomorrow. I know... the silver paint is bright and gaudy.

The seat tracks came in so I was able to finally mount the seats. The Tempress's I bought from Englund are really nice, and comfy. They sit probably 3-4" higher than the old seats, so I'll probably have to pull the base and cut the seat base tubes down. But I'll work on that another day...

Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #38
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Got the crab davit motor mounted. Just have to wire it now...

Re-installed the electronics in the cabin in prep for wiring...

And so it begins... New Blue Sea fuse panel. Coast guard approved, since it has a cover that goes over the top. I'll have a relay board mounted to the left of it, for the switch panel that's going in up in the cabin. The switch panel will control lights and other accessories. The relay board acts as the actual switch panel, and the switches then become a simple trigger for the relays. You can even do a ground wire only trigger so there's no power going to the switches for safety reasons. Flip a switch, it grounds the circuit at the relay. Relay now has negative and positive, and makes the connection to the load. Awesome stuff.

When I originally got the boat I tore all the wires off the factory fuse panel and threw it away. It was the old glass tube style, and was very corroded. Unfortunately I didn't mark any of the wires in my frustration and haste. As I'm going back through and testing to figure out which wire was which I found the Bennett trim tabs weren't working. We reconnected the hot at the fuse panel, and disconnected the wiring harness at the pump. All the switch positions were working. We finally figured out it was a corroded ground wire. I have a feeling we're going to be dealing with a lot of this kind of stuff. The wiring in this boat is a mess.

Last edited by Hold Fast; 05-28-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:12 AM   #39
socket985
Tuna!

This is a fun build to follow. Thank You for the updates. I highly recommend you add a fuel flow meter so you know roughly how much gas your burning, while also getting the largest fuel tank you can. Carrying 150 gallons of gas or more is not a bad thing.

A couple years ago, one Halibut fishing trip in very rough seas on my buddies heavy striper boat with a 4.3 V6. We went 35 miles out, 35 miles back and burned 70 gallons of gas in 1 day.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:08 PM   #40
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

You might want to test the weight distribution before building the bigger aux tank. Might save some wasted money if it's too much forward weight.

On another note, neat build, but what about more racecar pictures and details

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 06:35 PM   #41
socket985
Tuna!

Golden advice... There is a 25 gal aux cell that was added where the head used to be. I'm going to up the size of that cell. It's a neoprine plastic, but I'm going to have a friend construct an aluminum cell for me. I'm concerned about weight and distribution... The factory cell is 63 gallons and sits on the beam just forward of the engine. The aux sits on the starboard side just forward of helm, down in the forward cabin... I was thinking I'd double the size to 50 gal. but that's upwards of 300+ pounds more weight there. Obviously I'd draw from that tank first and use the trim tabs to straighten her up on the way out... Thoughts?

I put the relay board on order. I ordered the same one I used when I wired my race car. It has 10 relays so plenty of room for expansion.

I have no idea about the fuel cell location or weight info your mentioning. I would think some boat shop somewhere could provide honest feedback about this plan of yours.

I'm not certain I would go with a relay board to keep the power away from the switches. With all LED lights and proper gauge wiring, much less as long as you have enough switches for each circuit you need. it seems a non marine relay board might not be a good idea, It's just another thing to fail and much less I believe it's not necessary.

Ifish person positize can provide input as he's a marine engineer that will clarify this. I'm sure he's more than willing to advise you about properly wiring a boat in general. I'd reach out to him and see what he thinks.
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:37 PM   #42
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Thanks. I sent him a message to see if he'd pop in here. You make some good points. I'll have to re-think this...
Old 05-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #43
positize
Sturgeon

I have put dozens and dozens of relay boards on commercial vessels: it is a very common practice. But these relay boards are built for marine and industrial use, not automotive aftermarket devices. And we only install them in conditioned spaces - which our little fishing boats essentially have no conditioned spaces.

Plus, the only time I use relays is when they are required - when we are using them to run high current load devices and those devices need to be controlled by a low current PLC.

I simply will not use automotive aftermarket parts any more. I've made that mistake more than once, lulled in by great prices and 'just the right functionality'. But the automotive aftermarket parts are typically very poorly designed, very poorly tested, and have zero consideration for marine use. The irony is that automotive OEM parts typically exceed many of the marine reliability requirements, are tested to a level that assures very high reliability, and can be an excellent choice, but the automotive aftermarket parts world is nowhere in the same league as the OEM world.

I have reservations about that particular relay board too. All of our marine relay boards include clamping diodes on the inductors/coils to avoid the negative voltage flyback that occurs whenever you turn off an inductor (V = L * di/dt). I see no sign of clamping diodes on their circuit board. That manufacturer claims that 'snubbing' is included, but it makes no sense that it works since it requires a ground reference and positive voltage operation (unlike the negative operation option you mentioned). And those automotive aftermarket relays it uses are typically highly unreliable.

So consider sticking with high quality marine rated parts only. I can't think of any reason you need any relays. Its pretty hard to go wrong with the Blue Seas products. Buy switches that are marine wash-down rated: Blue Seas sells them. Be careful about buying just any old switch: search out 'waterproof' switches. Even many of the switches sold at local marine stores are of dubious quality (not water resistant). I would have probably gone with the Blue Seas breaker blocks rather than fuse blocks: having a fuse blow while at sea and the accompanying cluster to find a replacement fuse is no fun, whereas just pressing a button to reset a breaker is gold. Use marine rated wire (high strand count, tinned).

Love your build thread. Looks like you are making every effort to do an A+ job. Please keep posting us on progress.

Last edited by positize; 05-30-2019 at 07:50 AM.
positize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:52 AM   #44
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Great advice. Alot to unpack there. Ill think this through over next couple days...
Old 06-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #45
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Have to change out a couple of switches on this panel but it fits perfectly. Ill mount it to the overhead and start getting this wiring set up and done.

Old 06-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #46
Hold Fast
Steelhead

We spent nine hours today working on the wiring. I pulled all the old, funky, disconnected and dead-headed mystery wiring out of the boat today. We had to trace some wires through looms and troubleshoot a couple problems. All in all it was a solid job. The people who owned the boat before me obviously loved butt connectors and didnt like to remove old wires. Were crimping, soldering and heat shrinking everything we touch, so hopefully eventually it'll all get squared away. Id say there is another 24 hours worth of wiring left.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:30 PM   #47
Hold Fast
Steelhead

30 gal bleed bucket for the swim deck....

Old 07-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #48
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Just got back from a month on the road. Glad to be home and back working on the boat. Making major progress with the wiring. Just got to wire some lights up at this point. I can't fit in the closet so a buddy has been doing the soldering in there.

Blue lights for 100% cool factor....

Got power to the radio and HDS9...

Bought a couple of 15 foot surf poles we're gunna use for poor boy outriggers. It's not perfect but it'll work...

Old 07-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #49
tomictime
Sturgeon

the only small boat marine rated relay board that I have seen work is the Moritz Aerospace box on Yellowfins. God awful expensive and when balky often replaced with old fashioned but high quality Blue Sea systems switch. I believe Moritz is out of business.

I think fuel in nose off to one side is a bad idea. IF you need to turn around and head in over bar or following sea before being able to burn that down IT could be very dangerous.

just my buck fifty

cool project

have fun
Old 07-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #50
Hold Fast
Steelhead

I agree. We did away with the relay board theory. I'm just not a fan of all the god damned wiring it's gunna take to run through the helm.

The fuel cell sits amidship, just forward of the helm on the starboard side. Not optimal, but you gotta do what you gotta do. I'm going to leave the 25 gal cell in there for now and increase the size if I need to. The fuel will be balanced a little bit because we removed the sink/stove/fridge on the other side, and are replacing it with a storage cabinet for fishing tackle... Lots of fishing tackle.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomictime View Post
the only small boat marine rated relay board that I have seen work is the Moritz Aerospace box on Yellowfins. God awful expensive and when balky often replaced with old fashioned but high quality Blue Sea systems switch. I believe Moritz is out of business.

I think fuel in nose off to one side is a bad idea. IF you need to turn around and head in over bar or following sea before being able to burn that down IT could be very dangerous.

just my buck fifty

cool project

have fun
Old 02-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #51
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Getting to be time to get back after this project again. I ended up working all the way through tuna season last year, due to overtime. This year I'm going to get on the boat early, and stay on it until its done. One thing I did get done last fall was getting the boat trailer rebuilt. I've got new suspension, brakes, and tongue on the boat. I'll be ordering up some LED lighting to replace the factory stuff. That should help out with the safety factor. As before. I'll update this thread as I go. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:58 AM   #52
Hold Fast
Steelhead

...Another day of great progress thanks to even greater friends! My best friend is a cabinet maker by hobby, and agreed to help me build a new storage cabinet in place of the old factory unit. It originally held a sink, stove and refrigerator. The fridge and stove were long gone, and the sink didn't work. We pulled that cabinet out, as a boat of this size doesn't need those kinds of amenities. What I needed was fishing tackle storage! He used the pieces he removed to make a template for the new cabinet, making the new cabinet larger and better constructed. The cabinet is now pre-fabbed, so that we can assemble it in place, in the boat, since the opening to the cabin is so small.

Here it is ready to go in, minus the trim pieces. Once in I'll varnish it in place so it will have a teakwood look to it. I threw a tackle box in there for comparison. It will hold 18 of those tackle boxes in the top two shelves.

(Sorry about the sideways pictures...)

This pic shows the side profile of the cabinet, that follows the hull of the boat.

I had my brother sand down the swim deck for me, and he did a great job. The Teakwood was really old (26 years to be exact), and was splitting badly. There was almost no varnish on it anymore, so it had been unprotected for a long time. Once it was sanded down I taped it off and used wood glue to fill in the cracks, allowing the glue to seep into the cracks as much as it wanted, to fill and strengthen the wood. Once it's completely dry I'll sand the glue down and then re-varnish the deck. I'll do the bow plank in the same manner, though the bow plank is in worse shape.

Last edited by Hold Fast; 07-16-2019 at 04:37 AM.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #53
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Another twelve hour day.... got the cabinet built into the boat. The only thing missing now is the trim on the face, and the trim around the top (to keep items from rolling off the top of the cabinet). The trim is built, but we just need more time to get it nailed/glued down.

We got the trim built around the edges of the dash. It's 1.5" tall oak. I'll varnish it and lay some carpeting in behind it...

Last edited by Hold Fast; 07-21-2019 at 09:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 08:55 AM   #54
JeffO
Chromer

One thing I learned in this life, is that if you do good work, as time marches on you find yourself surrounded more and more by nice stuff that that makes you feel good when you look at and use it.

I think you see where I'm going with this.
JeffO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:24 PM   #55
Hold Fast
Steelhead

I think so... Kinda. 😁
Old 02-27-2020, 02:20 PM   #56
mbslns
Steelhead

What's the thinking on the blue lights in the cabin? I know red lights are better for not impacting night vision, but I don't know if blue is as good or better. Definitely has the cool factor, though!
mbslns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 10:53 PM   #57
Hold Fast
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbslns View Post
What's the thinking on the blue lights in the cabin? I know red lights are better for not impacting night vision, but I don't know if blue is as good or better. Definitely has the cool factor, though!

US Navy did a study and found blue lights effected vision less than red lights. When i was in all the ships were converted over to blue lights on the bridge, combat information center, etc.