Good news, bad news, good news - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #1
robctwo
Chromer

Default Good news, bad news, good news

Spent Thursday afternoon goofing around on the boat, doing a few little things getting ready for halibut/tuna on Friday.

Went out to the high spot. The new radar shows birds on the swells when it is calm. Got one small for 5 guys for 4 hours. We had a lot of bites, even some substantial take downs with no one there. Weird. Gave up around noon.

Ran for the pig, got out of the fog quick. Short of the pig we had good water, so dropped in. Hooked and landed a couple, very nice size. Chased some radio fish North. Got a couple more. Danced with a few other boats, got a couple more. Ended up with 9. The smallest one was bigger than most we caught last year. We didn't have a good year last year.

Good news, the boat will catch tuna. Outriggers need new bushings and one needs an arm adjusted, but they present lures well.

Good news, the Williams high speed plugs run true and catch fish. Boat ran well, got in around 8:30.

Bad news, i was tired, it was dark, I decided to top off the water tank. 40-50 gallons of water in the starboard diesel tank. Idiot mark on the forehead. Perhaps permanent.

Goodish news. The starboard engine ran for about one minute and shut down this morning.

Bad news, the fishing trip was off, disappointed friends.

Good news, my mechanic was on the boat, AND he knew what was wrong. Lots of water he said. Oooops, I might have put some water in the tank says I. Looks like about 40 gallons was his comment. Yup.

Better news, neighbor had a pump for me to run. When I wore out they hooked up the wet/dry vac. I guess my two hours of pumping was penance. So be it.

Great news, pumped, drained strained, filtered, filled and runs like a champ. Nothing more than my pride hurt.

We will get them next week.

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:01 PM   #2
pharmseller
King Salmon

Default Re: Good news, bad news, good news

You are a lucky man. When I'm stupid it hurts.

P
pharmseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
seekanddestroy
Tuna!

Smile Re: Good news, bad news, good news

Good new to here that you are back up and running.
seekanddestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 AM   #4
Fishndiver
Steelhead

Location: Far enough out of Eugene that I can’t see the tents.

I bet that won't ever happen again. I'm pretty sure you can get colored fill caps for your tanks. Green for the fuel, that way you know for sure even when half asleep after a day of fishing. Your boat has Cummins engines in it doesn't it? If they are mechanical fuel pumps you will probably be fine keeping an eye in the water seperators. If they are common rail injectors I highly recommend you have the fuel polished. Water will hang in solution in diesel, unlike gas where it seperates right out of it. Remember even the best filters are only 90% efficient. High pressure common rail injectors do not like any water at all though them. They may not fail immediately, but it will shorten their life.
Fishndiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
levi
Steelhead

Ouch! Better than sticking the fuel nozzle in the rod holder though!
levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
ptsczza
Fry

Sorry to hear the bad....But hey, glad to hear the good.

Quick question, what radar are you using to "See Birds on Calm Water"?

Thanks...Matt....Tina Lea
ptsczza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #7
robctwo
Chromer

Garmin. We didn't think we had it tilted far enough forward. When i was running in the pea soup on Friday, pretty glassy ocean, I kept getting radar returns in small clusters right in front of the boat. It freaked me out, thinking I was about to run over a small sled or something, then nothing but birds. After a few of these returns we realized we were getting birds on the water.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 PM   #8
robctwo
Chromer

Quote:
If they are common rail injectors I highly recommend you have the fuel polished. Water will hang in solution in diesel, unlike gas where it seperates right out of it. Remember even the best filters are only 90% efficient. High pressure common rail injectors do not like any water at all though them. They may not fail immediately, but it will shorten their life.
I will talk this over with my mechanic, thanks for the information.