The sound of God in tears - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Angler's Chapel

Old 04-18-2017, 06:32 AM   #1
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Default The sound of God in tears

The Author of the Universe did not stop communicating with us 2,000 years ago. He/she has been in constant communication via human achievements in science -- revealing with each discovery by divinely created human minds how the universe has come to be -- and with each soaring achievement in art by divinely created human imagination revealing the depth of compassion of our creator.
In 1938, conveyed by the mind of composer Samuel Barber, humanity was graced with this meditation on sadness of a scale so profound the very violins seem to weep. I believe it to be a glimpse into a divine heart of sorrow larger than galaxies, sadness unfolding upon sadness like layers in Damascus steel. The piece progresses until, when at a point of utter emotional exhaustion, one senses that in the ashes of the fire, an ember glows faintly. Dare we dream that there is cause for hope?
I do not for a moment believe that there is any "coincidence" in the fact that Barber's "Adagio for Strings" was first publicly performed in New York City on Nov. 5, 1938, by the NBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Arturo Toscanini.
Just four days after this performance, Hitler's followers in Germany unleashed the great pogrom against the Jews known as "Kristalnacht," and the Holocaust began in earnest.
To appreciate this piece, go somewhere free of distraction, let out a half-dozen deep breaths as slowly as you can, close your eyes and listen. It is very faint at first. You must want to hear.
Then tell me God does not speak to us still, and weep with us and for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450

Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #2
Tinman

Default Re: The sound of God in tears

Thanks Bill, I didn't know the piece by name, but instantly recognized the first few bars. Our God does indeed weep alongside us.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:03 AM   #3
plugcutter41
Tuna!

Took me a while, but then it came to me....... Platoon!!!!! "Rejoice O young man in thy youth"
plugcutter41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #4
crackshothillbilly
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Rogue V. View Post
The Author of the Universe did not stop communicating with us 2,000 years ago. He/she has been in constant communication via human achievements in science -- revealing with each discovery by divinely created human minds how the universe has come to be -- and with each soaring achievement in art by divinely created human imagination revealing the depth of compassion of our creator.
In 1938, conveyed by the mind of composer Samuel Barber, humanity was graced with this meditation on sadness of a scale so profound the very violins seem to weep. I believe it to be a glimpse into a divine heart of sorrow larger than galaxies, sadness unfolding upon sadness like layers in Damascus steel. The piece progresses until, when at a point of utter emotional exhaustion, one senses that in the ashes of the fire, an ember glows faintly. Dare we dream that there is cause for hope?
I do not for a moment believe that there is any "coincidence" in the fact that Barber's "Adagio for Strings" was first publicly performed in New York City on Nov. 5, 1938, by the NBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Arturo Toscanini.
Just four days after this performance, Hitler's followers in Germany unleashed the great pogrom against the Jews known as "Kristalnacht," and the Holocaust began in earnest.
To appreciate this piece, go somewhere free of distraction, let out a half-dozen deep breaths as slowly as you can, close your eyes and listen. It is very faint at first. You must want to hear.
Then tell me God does not speak to us still, and weep with us and for us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izQsgE0L450
Thank You Bill... Very Nice.
Old 07-19-2018, 07:46 PM   #5
Salmonater
Tuna!

Thanks Bill.......That is the first time I have heard this....Breathtaking!
Salmonater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:36 AM   #6
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

So glad you could take a few moments and listen.