Is 2016 sockeye a go or a no? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #1
TJ Hester
Steelhead

Default Is 2016 sockeye a go or a no?

You've probably all seen the recent counts as well as the reports released from The Oregonian and WDFW updates, but we really don't know what's going on! Roughly 99,000 sockeye predicted to return and as of right now, we are looking to blow that number, as well as all other previous runs out of the water.

Now in my opinion this is not WDFW/ODFW's fault for not getting a prediction correct because remember in years past they've been off each time as well but they don't have much data to go off of so I don't want to start that debate. However, I would like to think their is a threshold number that they will see over Bonneville and say lets open up above Bonne throughout the system.

Swifty has been doing some number crunching and has some great ideas on that (if he's willing to share).

So in preparation for the Sockeye DOOMSDAY... I scheduled all of my sockeye trips with either summer steelhead, summer kings, or summer walleye dates. And 90% of those people are happy to mix it up this year and try something new!

I am setting up a preliminary sockeye schedule for the Brewster fishery hopefully opening July 1 if anyone is interested in (possibly and optimistically) the highest recorded sockeye run since I believe 1938, yes i'm calling the shot now, it looks good!

I'm not taking money down so if the fish don't show or they don't open up we will just carry on as if it never happened.

$225 a seat or $1000 for the boat (6 seats).

Call/Text 5093887906 or email [email protected] for details

SOCKEYE GET YOUR BUTT UP RIVER!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0702.jpg
Views:	1454
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	477706  

TJ Hester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #2
Silver Hilton
King Salmon

Default Re: Is 2016 sockeye a go or a no?

Numbers are ramping on a pace equal to last year.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:34 AM   #3
eyeFISH
King Salmon

Indeed... right on time!

Long Live the Kings!
eyeFISH.... The Keen Eye MD
eyeFISH is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
David Dalan
Chromer

I'm camping up there if it opens no doubt. But I think the opening will depend more on water temps and less so on passage. 500,000 yielded 10k spawners in Canada, and like 400 in idaho.

But temps look good and there is snow, and there is a new cold water flume at Lower Granite.

Fingers and toes crossed!!!!

Last edited by David Dalan; 06-08-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Bad spellar
David Dalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
manuka
Steelhead

Can someone help me understand the WDFW rule change?

Here's how it reads, I'll highlight the lines that collectively confuse me:

Quote:
Actions: Closes sockeye salmon to retention
Effective date: June 16 through Aug. 15, 2016
Species affected: Sockeye salmon
Area 1: Columbia River from Hwy. 395 Bridge at Pasco to the Interstate 182 Bridge at Richland near Columbia Point (CRC 534)
Daily Limit: Daily limit of three (3) salmon, of which no more than one (1) may be adult hatchery chinook. Release wild adult chinook and sockeye.
Area 2: Columbia River from the Interstate 182 Bridge to Priest Rapids Dam (CRC 535 and 536)
Daily Limit: Daily limit of four (4) salmon, of which no more than two (2) may be adult hatchery chinook. Release wild adult chinook and sockeye.
So does this mean all sockeye retention is shut down, as the first line seems to state? Or only wild adult sockeye, like the bag limits seem to suiggest? Seems like there's two ways to interpret it.

Maybe it's just me, but I often find myself in this predicament when reading the rules. Often it seems like the wording is poor and it leaves more than one way for a reasonable person to interpret it.
manuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:16 AM   #6
Swifty27
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuka View Post
Can someone help me understand the WDFW rule change?

Here's how it reads, I'll highlight the lines that collectively confuse me:

So does this mean all sockeye retention is shut down, as the first line seems to state? Or only wild adult sockeye, like the bag limits seem to suiggest? Seems like there's two ways to interpret it.

Maybe it's just me, but I often find myself in this predicament when reading the rules. Often it seems like the wording is poor and it leaves more than one way for a reasonable person to interpret it.
Release all Sockeye. Yes, Sockeye retention is closed above the 395 bridge.

Wild is used to describe adult Chinook, not Sockeye. In the regs, they'll repeat the adjective for each species if it applies to more than one.

In the 2016 regs, they made it a little easier to read by listing Sockeye first.

Quote:
Min. size 12". Daily limit 4. Up to 2 may be adult hatchery CHINOOK.
Release SOCKEYE and wild adult CHINOOK.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference

Last edited by Swifty27; 06-10-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Swifty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:17 AM   #7
Starfish
King Salmon

Release all sockeye. And release all wild adult chinook.

Oops,Teddy beat me to it as usual.

Last edited by Starfish; 06-10-2016 at 10:18 AM.
Starfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #8
manuka
Steelhead

Thanks guys.

Here's hoping for a surprise opening. Although personally I doubt it.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
Swifty27
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuka View Post
Thanks guys.

Here's hoping for a surprise opening. Although personally I doubt it.
I wouldn't rule it out. Numbers are starting strong at Bonneville. The question will be if the biologist looks at strong Bonneville numbers or numbers over Rocky Reach and Wells for when to open.....assuming the Sockeye show in big numbers.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true." - Robert Wilensky, speech at a 1996 conference
Old 06-10-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
manuka
Steelhead

But do you think this year's numbers are really going to be considered in the decision?

I think last year's massive die-off is what's driving their decision making process. A least that's my guess. I don't think that die-off is really going to impact this year's numbers, is it? How long does a sockeye stay in the ocean before it returns? Isn't the effect of that die-off a year or more down the road?
Old 06-10-2016, 04:10 PM   #11
Lucky21
Chromer

2 to 3 years, no affect on this year.after hatched may stay in fresh water for 2 years before heading to the ocean.so we are potentially looking way down the road as far as last year's kill off.i also wood like to know how many made it back to lake ossooyus. last year.i think they only needed 50,000 for spawn.
Lucky21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:20 PM   #12
Swifty27
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky21 View Post
2 to 3 years, no affect on this year.after hatched may stay in fresh water for 2 years before heading to the ocean.so we are potentially looking way down the road as far as last year's kill off.i also wood like to know how many made it back to lake ossooyus. last year.i think they only needed 50,000 for spawn.
I think only 10,000 got back.

Escapement is about 30,000 in the lake which translates to about 60,000 at Wells in a normal year.

Temperature is trending close to last year, but it's all a matter of where it tips out.

Anyone know if there's an option to release water out of the base of Chief Joe like they do at Dworshak or if it would help with temperature and survival on the Brewster pool?

Tapatalked
Old 06-18-2016, 08:19 AM   #13
cohocrazy
Fry

anyone have tips and locations around portland to catch sockeye?
cohocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 08:53 AM   #14
Lucky21
Chromer

Did you notice they deleted sockeye in 534/535/536 in the new pamplet?You know how long it takes them to make up there minds and then print it and get it out?this was done long before any sockeye data was in.Some thing smells.If your not opening it up on what looks like record run,with a very cool june, then when will it be open again?
Old 06-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #15
Lucky21
Chromer

I agree.
Old 06-18-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
goodie
Chromer

It seems a waste to let 400,000 fish pass through the river without any retention in the upper river. Oddly, the sockeye can be retained where the runs are mixed with a much more precarious run of fish, The Snake River Sockeye. The department of fish and wildlife are doing some strange management here. They would rather have the fish dead on the river bottom ( if water is warm) than let some be harvested where there is primarily one stock with a strong run. They are apparently OK with the Snake river and Okanogan fish being harvested in lower river regardless of river temperatures. Is this confusing anyone else besides me? If they wanted to help the Okanogan bound fish they could net the sockeye at the mouth of the Okanogan and truck them up to the spawning grounds. The tribes were netting the salmon at the mouth of the Okanogan, they could be hauled from there (or eggs/sperm collected from there?). The problem is that a fishing restriction doesn't have any effect on the water temperature, and water temperature was by far the largest factor limiting the return of fish to the spawning grounds.
3:00 am for fishing
goodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:15 AM   #17
Lucky21
Chromer

What you say makes sense oh wise one.