GPS/Fishfinder Recommendations - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 07-29-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Swamp Puppy
Ifish Nate

Default GPS/Fishfinder Recommendations

I am in the market for a GPS (chartplotter) and possibly with a sonar/fishfinder combo.

i would like to find one already loaded with Bluechart (or similar) software. bluechart g2 not neccessary.

if possible, i am trying to keep the unit around the 500 dollar mark.

so far, i have found one that i like, but not sure what other manufacturers have to offer.

i have found a Garmin GPSMAP440/440s either just the chartplotter with bluechart pre-loaded for $499.00 shipped and the 440s which adds a sonar/fishfinder for $599.00 shipped.

anyone have any other ideas for different brands or models that have similar options?

Swamp Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 01:30 PM   #2
Dave G
King Lingcod

Default Re: GPS/Fishfinder Recommendations

I have a 19 ft open sled and I have a Eagle fishfinder. I do not care what anyone says, the can NOT take the weather. Your Garmin GPSMAP440 sounds like a good deal, I have no experience wiht it tho. I do have a Garmin GPS and it is great.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM   #3
iwanttofish
King Salmon

I am shopping also for about the same thing I have been looking at the Hummingbird 787C that I found on line for $549.00. The store in OC would not pricematch it so I am still up in the air, the 787 has a base map but not the whole thing.

But we have to look for the cust service also so it is hard to find one that will work.

I come from a small drinking community with a fishing problem
iwanttofish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2007, 01:41 PM   #4
Swamp Puppy
Ifish Nate

i have found the 440s on a major auction site with a "buy now" price of $569.00 with free shipping from a dealer with a good history and long track record.

so far, i haven't found anything else that will give me the same options AND come with pre-loaded bluechart.

still looking....

(thanks for the heads up about Eagle)
Swamp Puppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:06 PM   #5
iwanttofish
King Salmon

I dont see that that one has all the charts but it looks like a internal ant which will not work very good if you have a top on.

Good luck

If I see something that looks good I will let you know.

Mike

Old 07-30-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Snapshot

I also am in the market and have found several of the units mentioned above. I contacted AnchorExpress this AM and they refered me to the Garmin 440S IGPS and it does have the charts as noted. However it does not include the speed nor temp guages in this unit. Their price is $ 565.99 with free shipping. THESE ARE ON BACKORDER WITH UNKNOW ARRIVAL DATES.

A very similar unit is the Lowrance 522c IGPS (internal antenna) at fishermans is $599.95 and $596.99 @ Anchor Express. The Lowrance includes the temp and speed and I am headed over there today to get one. This unit also has a 5" screen not a 4 like the others.

There is a HB 757for $497.99 that looks pretty good too.

I do like the Garman but want the speed and temp and it is built into the transducer of the Lowrance. Also the Lowrance 522 includes WAAS locator just in case.
Snapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #7
jetcraft jess

i have the 787c and love it . it plugs into my computor for update and programing paid 499. off the net 7 months ago
jetcraft jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:48 PM   #8
Snapshot

After all this talk and some on-line shopping, I bought a 522c IGPS from Fishermans. I found it at Anchor express and they were just $4.00 under Fishermans.

A couple thoughts played into the equation: If I have questions or problems, Fishermans is right in out back yards, and 2, No shipping costs. 3. "The final Straw" was that I spent about an hour at Fishermans and Jay invited me back if I come up with any other questions... There is a lot to be said about having help close to home. I could not get anyone on line to answer any questions.

NOW, all I have to do is figure out how to mount the silly thing. Guess I will call on the son-in-law, and if he is as smart as he says, it will install itself with minimal help.

The Lowrance also comes with all the river and ocean markers and the HB and others do not. *********** good fishing ****************

FISH ONLY BITE WET HOOKS
Old 07-31-2007, 09:50 PM   #9
Snapshot

Did My Post Script Go Or Not???
Old 08-01-2007, 08:02 AM   #10
OB1
Tuna!

The 440S come with a 50/200 khZ transducer with temp.
I think if you look at the accessories they show the price difference between the one with speed is $100.
Personally I just use the gps speed and don't carry what the current is doing.
I have on order for my new Seahawk the 4208, GMR 18 radar and the GSD 22 digital sonar with the 50/200 khZ tranducer with temp.
Also waiting for the radar arch to be completed!
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM   #11
iwanttofish
King Salmon

The thing that I am holding back for is the internal ant will not work for under the top and I dont want to have to buy additional software for the GPS to have all the info for the NW like I do in my garmin now.

Just trying to figure it out.

Old 08-01-2007, 02:31 PM   #12
OB1
Tuna!

Under a soft top or near the windshield no problem, a metal top that's a different story.
OB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
iwanttofish
King Salmon

Ok thanks

Old 08-04-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
ripnlips
Steelhead

I'm also in the market for a GPS and am looking at the Garmin 440 as well as the Lowrance 5300c. Does anyone have any experience with internal antennas? I have a soft top on my boat and a Garmin dealer showed me a 440 that he claimed was getting signal inside their store with next to no window exposure. I really like the idea of not having to put an extra hole in my boat for antenna mounting. Would appreciate your thoughts.
ripnlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #15
zomonster
Coho

As I type, I just got off the Columbia at Kalama for the first time with my new Lowrance 5200c GPS. It was flippin incredible and accurate. I only went out for about an hour to test the GPS and ensure I hooked it up correctly. It took 30 seconds to aquire 9 satelites and on the way back my buddy covered my windshield and following my original line i bumped the dock exactly where we left from. it came with preloaded channel line, bouys, everything. I'm totally sold.

the one problem witht he 5300 is that it's an internal antenna. if like me, you choose to mount it next to your Lowrance 125c depth/fish finder, the metal around your windshield will mess with your GPS. That's why I went with the 5200c. I mounted the "puck" in front of the windshield in front of me on the ledge. (I have a new alumaweld stryker). It worked perfectly.
zomonster is offline   Reply With Quote