Brookings Tuna on Wed and Thurs, Aug. 9 and 10. - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-07-2017, 09:16 AM   #1
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

doh Brookings Tuna on Wed and Thurs, Aug. 9 and 10.

According to WindyTy there is a 2 day window to run for tuna out of Brookings, this Wednesday and Thursday. Last Saturday, Beardude caught 64 tuna and Rogueriverfisher caught 26 tuna, both in the area of 41.42 X 125.10. That's only 40 nm from Brookings.

I am writing this report for Rymart, whose Wi fi is currently poor. Rymart has limited time to fill his freezer with Tuna before heading back to Wyoming. We are looking for Buddy Boats to help find the tuna and keep everyone safe. Since neither of us have ever launched out of Brookings, it would be great if a local Brookings Tuna fisherman made contact with us by PM or on this thread. Any of the following information would be appreciated.

Where to stay in Brooking?
Is there a transient dock that we could leave the boat tied up to overnight?
Where to get ice?
Where to get non-ethanol gas?
Any words of wisdom on crossing the Chetco bar?
What other fish are biting in the Brookings area, if the ocean turns too rough to run 40 nm for tuna?

Brooking is a 5+ hour drive from Newport, so leaving Newport on Tuesday, late afternoon, and spending Tuesday and Wednesday night in Brookings is our current plan.

Who wants to join us on this tuna fishing adventure? It will be great fun to get all the Salty Dog Tuna Addicts together for a Wed night bash in Brookings, after plugging our boats with Tuna.

Gil

HappyTunafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Brookings Tuna on Wed and Thurs, Aug. 9 and 10.

Detailed Forecast

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM PDT THIS MORNING

Synopsis: North winds will strengthen today with low end small craft advisory conditions developing south of Cape Blanco. Winds will diminish Tuesday, but choppy steep seas may affect all of the waters by that time.

Today
N wind around 18 kt. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...S 2 ft at 13 seconds and WNW 1 ft at 11 seconds. Wind waves 5 to 6 ft.

Tonight
N wind around 18 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...WNW 2 ft at 10 seconds and S 1 ft at 11 seconds. Wind waves around 5 ft.

Tuesday
N wind 17 to 19 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 5 to 6 ft at 7 seconds and S 1 ft at 11 seconds. Wind waves around 5 ft.

Tuesday Night
NNW wind 13 to 17 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NNW 4 to 5 ft and S 1 ft. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft.

Wednesday
NNW wind around 15 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Wednesday Night
NNW wind around 14 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NNW 3 to 4 ft and WNW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Thursday
NNW wind around 12 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 1 to 2 ft. Wind waves around 2 ft.

Thursday Night
NNW wind around 14 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 1 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Friday
NNW wind around 14 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Hope you guys have good fishing.
Short jetties, rough water can be difficult. Large harbor but have never put a boat in there. Beautiful place. Several motels and good places to eat.
Kingkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #3
tailchaser
Sturgeon

Brookings bar is very good and gentle overall. There is a point that sticks out just north of the jetties that protects the entrance up to a mile out. The harbor is small and easy to navigate around compared to other spots.

If tuna is a bust due to weather, rockfishing is only a mile from the jetties and you can even find them within the region protected from the wind on most days. From what I hear, there's quite a few salmon in the bay and if you have a live bait well there were millions of anchovies in the bay also that would be dynamite for tuna baits. Be aware though, salmon in the Ocean is closed in that location.

In general it's a great place to fish. A lot of the time the southern boys head to Charleston mostly due to the fact it's a longer run to the continental shelf from brookings where the tuna usually hang out. But if the fish are there, it's a great port but a long trip for most of us to get there.

tc
tailchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
rogueriverfisher
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTunafisherman View Post
According to WindyTy there is a 2 day window to run for tuna out of Brookings, this Wednesday and Thursday. Last Saturday, Beardude caught 64 tuna and Rogueriverfisher caught 26 tuna, both in the area of 41.42 X 125.10. That's only 40 nm from Brookings.

I am writing this report for Rymart, whose Wi fi is currently poor. Rymart has limited time to fill his freezer with Tuna before heading back to Wyoming. We are looking for Buddy Boats to help find the tuna and keep everyone safe. Since neither of us have ever launched out of Brookings, it would be great if a local Brookings Tuna fisherman made contact with us by PM or on this thread. Any of the following information would be appreciated.

Where to get ice?
What other fish are biting in the Brookings area, if the ocean turns too rough to run 40 nm for tuna?

Brooking is a 5+ hour drive from Newport, so leaving Newport on Tuesday, late afternoon, and spending Tuesday and Wednesday night in Brookings is our current plan.

Who wants to join us on this tuna fishing adventure? It will be great fun to get all the Salty Dog Tuna Addicts together for a Wed night bash in Brookings, after plugging our boats with Tuna.

Gil
Alright, from the top:

Can't give much advice on where to stay, I always crash on my boat ... best Western in the harbor is very close to the launch ramp, but mighty spend in my experience

Transient dock is to the right of the launch lanes on the ramp if your facing the water, literally 10 yards away from the launch ramps ... call the harbormaster, he has had me pay my over night moorage inside one of the launch ramp pay envelopes if I arrived after hours

Ice dock is by the BC fisheries building, call (541) 661-4472 during business hours to schedule an appt ... killer ice available down here

Non-ethanol is available at either the fuel dock or the 76 station on the 101 on the north side of town, look to your right just as you get past Harris beach, can't miss it

Chetco river bar has more crossover days than any other port in Oregon, unless the swell is out of the SW or S, or wind is out of the SW or S, it's gonna be easy peas to squeek over the bar

Halibut traditionally go on the chew this time of year down south, no depth restrictions either, try in 250-150 FOW off of goat island, or down on the state line- the 42 line. Lots of fish landed there. Rocks and Lings are a plenty, find some stones and you'll find fish

Won't make it for a mid week fish, gotta work. Post a report and let us know what happens!
rogueriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:46 AM   #5
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Tailchaser is right. Small harbor compared to Newport but bigger than Depoe. If you ever watched "Overboard" you have seen it.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
beardude
Chromer

Quote:

Where to get ice?

Gil
A lot of the transient docks are out for repair at the moment, would suggest pulling and parking over by the wash rack. its easier to load/unload fish and ice and refuel anyway.

Ice is BC Fisheries, contact name is Allie, (541) 661-4472, just past the wash rack parking lot.

non-ethanol gas is the first station when you come into town on the right (coming from the north on 101), I believe it's a Shell.

Chetco bar is probably the most forgiving bar crossing on the whole Oregon coast, faces due south and well protected. Good depth and no need to time the tide changes. Only advice for newcomers is go out and return to the whistle before making your course headings. There's wash rocks in closer that can get an unsuspecting boater in trouble.

Bottom fish and ling all along the uphill side from port, just find a rock sticking out and watch your sonar.

Halibut areas off "house" rock (should be on charts) about 4 nm uphill of whistle 210' ish on the depth. They are there just not in numbers like up north. Season open 7 days a week till quota filled.

motels are both there on the harbor road and along 101 in town mostly north side of the bridge.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #7
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post
Detailed Forecast

Wednesday
NNW wind around 15 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Wednesday Night
NNW wind around 14 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NNW 3 to 4 ft and WNW 2 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Thursday
NNW wind around 12 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 1 to 2 ft. Wind waves around 2 ft.

Thursday Night
NNW wind around 14 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 1 ft. Wind waves around 3 ft.

Thanks. The WindyTy ocean forecast for Wed and Thurs is better then the above forecast, especially on Thursday.

We are fishing for tuna to have a good time and not get beat up too much. We will continue to monitor the ocean forecast before pulling the trigger to run 40 nm for tuna. It's great hearing that catching groundfish/ling as a back-up plan is available. Is Brookings closed to halibut nearshore?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
rogueriverfisher
Steelhead

Quote:
Thanks. The WindyTy ocean forecast for Wed and Thurs is better then the above forecast, especially on Thursday.

We are fishing for tuna to have a good time and not get beat up too much. We will continue to monitor the ocean forecast before pulling the trigger to run 40 nm for tuna. It's great hearing that catching groundfish/ling as a back-up plan is available. Is Brookings closed to halibut nearshore?

No sir, there is quota left for halibut south of Humbug Mountain, no depth restrictions on halibut south of Humbug. According to the regs, you are allowed to possess bottomfish with your halibut, so long as they are caught I 30 fathoms or less, and never taken over the 30 fathom line ... I juse fish for halis first then bottom fish afterwards.
rogueriverfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 AM   #9
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:

Where to get ice?

Gil
Joining in Thurs with my Brother, & his girlfriend, should be there in time for the Wed night Bash. See you there Gil.

Last edited by adrenaline; 08-07-2017 at 11:11 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
SaltH2ONubie
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
if you have a live bait well there were millions of anchovies in the bay also that would be dynamite for tuna baits.
A cast net would be the ticket. A month ago the anchovies were incredibly thick and it sounds like they still are. Even if you did not have a live well they would make great chum or dead bait.
SaltH2ONubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:22 PM   #11
Sea Beast
Steelhead

Seriously looking at Brookings for Wednesday /Thursday if I can get a crew for either or both days. Any takers? Hope to see everyone down there. At 69 am I to old to do Brookings and then back to Newport Friday for butts?
See you in Brookings Ken

Dave
Sea Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #12
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

On Windty if you type your coordinates into the box it shows Thursday and Friday as the good days to run. Depending on the swell size it looks very doable. But of course that is a long way out for them to make a permanent call. Good Luck.

Last edited by Kingkiller; 08-07-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:53 PM   #13
beardude
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltH2ONubie View Post
A cast net would be the ticket. A month ago the anchovies were incredibly thick and it sounds like they still are. Even if you did not have a live well they would make great chum or dead bait.
sadly on Saturday it looked like they were pretty much expired. There was just too many for the oxygen in the water and the seagulls feasted and obviously crapped on EVERYTHING. The north jetty looks snow covered. boats left in the sport basin we just doused in it.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #14
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Beast View Post
Seriously looking at Brookings for Wednesday /Thursday if I can get a crew for either or both days. Any takers? Hope to see everyone down there. At 69 am I to old to do Brookings and then back to Newport Friday for butts?
See you in Brookings Ken

Dave
We did Charleston Tuna, than Newport Halibut back to back days a couple years ago, it was a brutal drive up 101 on minimal sleep, don't want to do that again. I agree Thurs/Fri looks best, I'm driving down Wed afternoon, & might stay thru Fri, & drive back Sat. See you there Dave.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:57 PM   #15
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Question Re: Brookings Tuna on Wed and Thurs, Aug. 9 and 10.

Agree that WindTy Forecast changed to open Friday for Tuna and Wed got worse, but still be may be doable for Tuna. Let's see what tomorrow's forecast is for Wed.

Anyone have any info on whether the greater then 40 fathom halibut quoto was met? If not, it might be a hard decision between fishing on Friday for tuna in Brookings or heading back north to catch big halibut on Friday and Saturday. Capt. Ryan will make that call, since he has a big freezer to fill and only one halibut on his tag. These decisions are tough to make!

Last edited by HappyTunafisherman; 08-07-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:53 PM   #16
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Default Re: Brookings Tuna onThurs and Fri, Aug. 10 and 11.

Captain Ryan made the call and I have changed the title of this thread. We are fishing for Tuna on Thursday and Friday out of Brookings. The TA bash has been rescheduled for Thursday night (Place and time TBD). Please let me know if you can attend.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:05 PM   #17
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Halibut opens the 18th and 19th.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:10 PM   #18
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

For those of fence sitting on the fence about joining us in Brookings. Besides the recent Boat plugging tuna catches this is the last good SST/CHLOR SHOT on 8-1-17.

Old 08-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #19
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Today's NOAA Point Forecast for the tuna area SW of Brookings
Detailed Forecast

...SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY IN EFFECT THROUGH THIS EVENING...

Synopsis: Increasing north winds will bring small craft advisory conditions to an area south of Cape Blanco through Tuesday evening. Choppy steep seas will develop over almost all of the waters tonight... subsiding Tuesday night. The remainder of the week will be relatively quiet in terms of winds and seas.

Thursday
NNW wind around 10 kt. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 4 ft and WNW 1 to 2 ft. Wind waves around 2 ft.

Thursday Night
NW wind around 6 kt. Mostly cloudy. Mixed swell...NW 3 ft and WNW 1 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

Friday
NNW wind around 12 kt. Mostly sunny. Mixed swell...NNW 3 ft and WNW 1 ft. Wind waves 2 to 3 ft.

Friday Night
NNW wind 15 to 18 kt. Partly cloudy. Mixed swell...NNW 3 ft and W 2 ft. Wind waves 3 to 4 ft.

Looking much closer to WindTy forecast and very doable for tuna fishing.

Are you running for tuna with us on Thursday and Friday?
Old 08-08-2017, 07:48 AM   #20
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Quote:
See you in Brookings Ken

Dave
Sent you a private message. Did you get it?

No reason to get back to Newport for butts on Friday. Butts not open on Friday.

Last edited by HappyTunafisherman; 08-08-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:07 AM   #21
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Captain Ryan made the call and I have changed the title of this thread. We are fishing for Tuna on Thursday and Friday out of Brookings. The TA bash has been rescheduled for Thursday night (Place and time TBD). Please let me know if you can attend.
Sounds good, will have a juvenile with us tho.
Old 08-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #22
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Sounds good, will have a juvenile with us tho.
Beardude recommends we all meet Thursday night at the Wild River Pizza Pub; juvenile's welcome. Lets use Channel 19 to communicate. We will pick a time to meet when we find out how long a day it's going to be to plug the boats?
Old 08-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #23
Anchovy Andrew
Steelhead

How far out is the run normally out of brookings to the tuna grounds ?
Anchovy Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 PM   #24
beardude
Chromer

40-44 out right now, could be closer but no clear sat shot. There is a smidge of a chloro shot that looks good tho
beardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 PM   #25
grim
Tuna!

Wish I were going with you all. Good luck and be safe. I have a friend coming in around the first week of September and, if tuna aren't back to Newport in numbers, I will be trailering to wherever we need to. I'll be following your exploits closely just in case we need to go that far (but I'm hoping it won't be necessary).
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #26
Rymart
Tuna!

Not red-hot for us, but steady most of the day with some doubles and a triple. Just short of plugged with 26. Not much luck converting to a bait stop, with only one iron fish. They pretty much preferred the troll today.

Lots of big mackerel and small tuna inside around 42 00 x 125 11.5. Much bigger grade of fish if you moved outside to 41 56 x 125 18. Our best bite was at 41 55 x 125 20, but fish were being caught all over between 41 53' N & 42 01' N, 125 10' & 125 23' W.

Ended the day very late towing in a boat with fuel/engine problems until the Coast Guard could take over. Hopefully at it again tomorrow, once we get fueled and iced...
Rymart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 02:51 AM   #27
Garthbrow
Chromer

I'd really like to be down there fishing you guys & meet you Ryan. Im Glad you guys found them and they're biting! It's always fun fishing with Gil . Big Jim finally finished the house he was building and is after me to get on the tuna but I promised I would be up by Mt. Hood Saturday for a family reunion I haven't been at for 8 yrs now . (kinda been losing face). with my relatives .
I'd be there If I hadn't had this prior commitment. Good luck !

Last edited by Garthbrow; 08-11-2017 at 07:57 AM. Reason: to tired
Garthbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:01 AM   #28
beardude
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymart View Post
Not red-hot for us, but steady most of the day with some doubles and a triple. Just short of plugged with 26. Not much luck converting to a bait stop, with only one iron fish. They pretty much preferred the troll today.

Lots of big mackerel and small tuna inside around 42 00 x 125 11.5. Much bigger grade of fish if you moved outside to 41 56 x 125 18. Our best bite was at 41 55 x 125 20, but fish were being caught all over between 41 53' N & 42 01' N, 125 10' & 125 23' W.

Ended the day very late towing in a boat with fuel/engine problems until the Coast Guard could take over. Hopefully at it again tomorrow, once we get fueled and iced...
Glad to see you got on them, we hung around and met Ken at the ramp till around 9:30 but it sounded like it was going to be a late night for you guys.
Old 08-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #29
Sea Beast
Steelhead

The tow of shame, It was I whom Rymart tow until CG showed up. Word can not express my gratitude to him and the wonderful people of the USCG. Every thing was going good until I pulled some gas out of a previous unused front tank on the Beast thus contaminating the outboard. (Yes I had filters ) as we were heading in. 3 hours later I gave in and called th CG. I had Ralph/ gaffer/ Crazy Outdoors with me and he knew Rymart and called him over. Much thanks givin. Be towed in the dark is a little creepy, the wonderful Coasties got us to dock by 2:30. Now its out to drain, cut open front tank and clean out and remove and rebuild 4 carbs.

again much thanks for all the help.

Dave
Old 08-11-2017, 03:38 PM   #30
Kingkiller
Ifish Nate

Glad you made it safe and that there was a truly great Salty Dog there to help.

So how was the fishing?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:57 PM   #31
Garthbrow
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingkiller View Post
Glad you made it safe and that there was a truly great Salty Dog there to help.

So how was the fishing?
Garthbrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:29 PM   #32
adrenaline
King Salmon

Kudos to Ryan, glad everyone made it in safe. Bummer on your fuel issues Dave, but I have to ask, why didn't you call the CG sooner?

We had a great day Thurs, had just enough Ice for the fish we wanted, ended with 26, tried, & tried again to get my brother a Tuna on a Fly Rod, plenty of jumpers around, but they were skiddish, & would not let us get close enough within Fly Rod range, no matter how much Chum we threw, it was a little too windy I guess, couldn't get them to hit swimbaits or irons either, only trolling worked. The TA meeting fizzled, probably not a good idea to have a TA meeting on a Tuna fishing day, Wed would of been the best day for the TA meeting, by the time we finished carking our fish, took a quick shower, showed up at the Pizza place at 1045, everybody had already left by than, oh well maybe next time, good meeting Rymart, & Beardude, always good to put a name to a face, ended the season with a big bang, thanks beardude, see you all next season.
Old 08-14-2017, 07:23 PM   #33
Sea Beast
Steelhead

Ken, as for not calling the CG sooner, it was a matter of personal pride. Also I would get her running and we would get about a mile or so and thenshe would shut down. Thanks again to all those that helped. Good luck bow hunting. Just for a lark, check out the Oregon Archery record books, my biggest bow bull scored 356

Dave
Old 08-15-2017, 08:03 AM   #34
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Ken, as for not calling the CG sooner, it was a matter of personal pride. Also I would get her running and we would get about a mile or so and thenshe would shut down. Thanks again to all those that helped. Good luck bow hunting. Just for a lark, check out the Oregon Archery record books, my biggest bow bull scored 356

Dave
Just wondering, hope you get her fixed & back at it soon. Only 1 Bull with a Bow for me, 5x6 didn't measure it, no where close to a record. Nice Job!