PWC Fishing (All Purpose) - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 04-25-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Default PWC Fishing (All Purpose)

going to plagiarize the Dory thread idea in an effort to get a bit more collaboration among the PWC fishermen out there.

So, to kick things off, i'll start with the 1st reply!
Some Dude on a Ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #2
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Default Re: PWC Fishing (All Purpose)

finished installing and testing my auxiliary fuel tank over the weekend. this adds 9 more gallons capacity to the ski, giving a total 30 gallons, and at normal cruising speed being easy on the throttle, should give a range somewhere around 110 miles - i still need to do a test of this...but based on fuel usage of the stock tank which I've tested extensively, the 9 more gallons should add a little less than 40 more miles to my stock range of 80 (with some reserve).

I followed the instructions on this tech article http://watercraftjournal.com/quick-t...ory-fuel-tank/

this gave a fairly easy to follow procedure for installing an auxiliary tank that siphon feeds into the main by removing the vent line from the main tank, and adding a new line from the vent to the pick-up of the auxiliary. from the auxiliary tank vent, plumb a line back into the ski to the OEM vent tube - this ensures that the auxiliary tank vent in clean, waterless air from inside the ski in the OEM designed location. with the addition of a few quick disconnects the auxiliary tank is easily removable when not needed.

when on the water, the Aux tank drains 1st, leaving the main tank reading full until the aux tank is empty and venting air into the main tank instead of just replacing gas. this eliminates the need to open the fuel cap while on the water and holding a 5 gallon jug precariously over the front of the ski in chop. this method also removes the need for electric fuel pump transfer, or hand pump....as you use it from the main, it just refills from the aux.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1093.JPG
Views:	1887
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	575505  
Old 04-25-2017, 06:33 PM   #3
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

I am in full support of this thread. You PWC guys are (as far as I am concerned) as bad azz as Dorymen. Resourceful and adventurous.

Subscribed!

Love the mod. 110 miles range should be plenty to reach the tuna on a PWC if I can reach them in a dory. Love it.
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2017, 06:38 PM   #4
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

That looks pretty professional.
I'm looking forward to seeing you guys posting here, it should be good reading.

If I was 20 years younger I would take up PWC fishing.
I'm intrigued by the freedom of them

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post

I told my wife I wouldn't buy any more boats.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

I usually fish on the ocean, so when picking out a new fishfinder/GPS-I went with a Garmin 74SV with a gt51m-tm transducer. The SV74 size provided the combination of features I wanted with a relatively low power draw-something important on the PWC's. Additionally the SV74 was about the biggest unit that would in the console that was being fabricated.

For a transducer mount, luckily my PWC was already at Aluminum works by JD getting some creative tubing bent up. Joe (Quiet Riot on ifish) put his creative mind on it and fabricated a rock solid mount for me. He even thought ahead to fabricate a 2nd mounting point in the event turbulence was a problem. The mount works great and to my surprise the fishfinder/transducer hold bottom very well even at higher cruising speeds. Attached are a couple pictures of the mount and the attached transducer. The large transducer does look out of place on a PWC, but it works great!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3617.jpg
Views:	1800
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	575753   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618.jpg
Views:	1789
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	575761  

Last edited by fishonthebrain; 04-25-2017 at 09:30 PM.
fishonthebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 PM   #7
BigBear
Steelhead

Default PWC Fishing (All Purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshndad View Post

Nay, I started fishing from a PWC in 1996, paralyzed 12/1971 at the age of 20. So I started fishing from a PWC at age 45 and now 65 years old. So no excuse for Age or Disability. I have fished from Newport to the Cr/bar and everywhere in between. Ask me if I prefer fishing from my 22 ft. NR Sea Hawk or my pwc Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec? The answer is both, but will my NR out preform my GTX on any rough bar crossings. NO, my GTX has seen some huge bar crossing and no worries. I did fall off my pwc only once, it's called a learning curve. I have an extra GTX for anyone who seriously wants to check out a pwc for fishing. You only live once!

Darrel
BigBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #8
Jon55
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
I have an extra GTX for anyone who seriously wants to check out a pwc for fishing. You only live once!
Now HERE is a smart man. He fishes out of a pwc and can still take a friend.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBear View Post
Nay, I started fishing from a PWC in 1996, paralyzed 12/1971 at the age of 20. So I started fishing from a PWC at age 45 and now 65 years old. So no excuse for Age or Disability. I have fished from Newport to the Cr/bar and everywhere in between. Ask me if I prefer fishing from my 22 ft. NR Sea Hawk or my pwc Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec? The answer is both, but will my NR out preform my GTX on any rough bar crossings. NO, my GTX has seen some huge bar crossing and no worries. I did fall off my pwc only once, it's called a learning curve. I have an extra GTX for anyone who seriously wants to check out a pwc for fishing. You only live once!

Darrel
Sounds interesting but I've never been on a PWC
I also know my physical limitations, I can barely handle fishing from my Dory

I would be interested in trying out a PWC but I don't think the ocean is a great place to learn

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:45 PM   #10
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

launched Netarts Saturday 4-29 at 1st light. getting outside was a bit sporty with the ebb chop, pretty much a washing machine at the mouth. Other than one wedge that stacked up right infront of me when two cross swells slapped together, it wasn't too bad, and the hang time was fun!

once outside, the was able to run at 30mph pretty comfortably south where i found my limit of rock fish before 7:30. I the changed to just a single big jig and went on the lookout for lings. took till about 10:30 to get two keeper lings, had cabazon been in season, i would have had a nice one! was an incredible day on the water, and a much needed freezer filler run.
Old 04-25-2017, 09:34 PM   #11
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Dude on a Ski View Post
finished installing and testing my auxiliary fuel tank over the weekend. this adds 9 more gallons capacity to the ski, giving a total 30 gallons, and at normal cruising speed being easy on the throttle, should give a range somewhere around 110 miles - i still need to do a test of this...but based on fuel usage of the stock tank which I've tested extensively, the 9 more gallons should add a little less than 40 more miles to my stock range of 80 (with some reserve).

I followed the instructions on this tech article http://watercraftjournal.com/quick-t...ory-fuel-tank/

this gave a fairly easy to follow procedure for installing an auxiliary tank that siphon feeds into the main by removing the vent line from the main tank, and adding a new line from the vent to the pick-up of the auxiliary. from the auxiliary tank vent, plumb a line back into the ski to the OEM vent tube - this ensures that the auxiliary tank vent in clean, waterless air from inside the ski in the OEM designed location. with the addition of a few quick disconnects the auxiliary tank is easily removable when not needed.

when on the water, the Aux tank drains 1st, leaving the main tank reading full until the aux tank is empty and venting air into the main tank instead of just replacing gas. this eliminates the need to open the fuel cap while on the water and holding a 5 gallon jug precariously over the front of the ski in chop. this method also removes the need for electric fuel pump transfer, or hand pump....as you use it from the main, it just refills from the aux.
Some Spence on a ski, 😀 I'm gonna utilize this fuel setup on a ski I have in the shop currently so I'm glad it's working for you.

Cool thread, it'd be great if you guys could point out some of the pluses and minuses of the different skis out there for ocean fishing purposes. There's quite a few guys on the fence about which ski to choose etc for a fishing platform.

John, be careful around big fishies as that chartreuse​ bling has been know to attract big fish.....

Aluminum Works by JD
Quiet Riot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:16 PM   #12
Tinman

As a doryman, I consider PWC guys as kindred spirits. You folks are advancing the state of the art and I'll be watching this thread with great interest. Onward!
Old 04-26-2017, 05:48 AM   #13
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Glad to see we have some interested people out there!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Riot View Post
Some Spence on a ski, 😀 I'm gonna utilize this fuel setup on a ski I have in the shop currently so I'm glad it's working for you.

Cool thread, it'd be great if you guys could point out some of the pluses and minuses of the different skis out there for ocean fishing purposes. There's quite a few guys on the fence about which ski to choose etc for a fishing platform.

John, be careful around big fishies as that chartreuse​ bling has been know to attract big fish.....

Aluminum Works by JD

It's a solid set-up. one of the things i had to do outside what the article said was use some JB weld puddy on the gas cap for the aux tank. After breaking off the twist lock vent that came with the cap i found i could not get a good air tight connection between the 90 degree fitting and the cap, since the cap vents through a chamber between the outer and inner surface. really didn't want water venting in, and don't see any way i can guarantee that i can keep that cap dry, or even submerge that tank at some point. so after drilling out and removing all the inner workings of the cap vent, i crammed the hole with the JB weld puddy, working it into all the gaps, screwed in the fitting, then cleared the hole with a pick. waited for it to set-up then sanded it smooth with 400 grit.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:59 AM   #14
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Quote:

Aluminum Works by JD
I know the major selling points for me on the Kawaski Ultra LX, was it has the largest fuel tank of any ski, the most storage, the deepest V hull, and it's a normally aspirated engine.

the extra storage has proven to be mostly useless, as it is pretty much inaccessible from the water. The Deep V hull design is money though! i can ride area's like the water above tounge point on a strong outgoing tide with an offshore wind whipping up some flat nasty chop, and actually enjoy it! with the fuel tank and engine sucked down in the bottom of the deep V, it makes for a really stable platform while just bobbing around as well.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:25 AM   #15
CGRFish
Tuna!

Awesome thread, I will watch it as I watch the dory thread.

One comment on the fuel transfer setup. I use a similar setup on small irrigation pumps, and occasionally I will run into a situation where the vacuum is not strong enough make the fuel transfer work. You don't know it until you notice the gauge on the main tank dropping, or the main tank runs dry, which would be a major problem offshore. My solution has been to include a fuel pump bulb, standard on outboard motors, in the line to the auxiliary tank to be able to manually restart the transfer, and the vacuum should keep it going once it starts.

I know its a different application, but the thought of running out offshore keeps me paranoid.

I look forward to watching the fun you PWC guys have!
Old 04-26-2017, 08:28 AM   #16
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Excellent idea! I look forward to following this and hope it is as successful as the PC Dory thread.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:49 PM   #17
IIonPilgrimg
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I will also follow this thread with great interest.

On my dory, I have a fuel filter w/ two inputs and dual ballcock valves. I monitor and manually switch between the two tanks. The simplicity of this dual tank design is ingenious, having no moving parts. The only precaution is the main tank must remain tightly sealed for the system to function correctly. To remove the AUX, just swap the position of one vent hose and quick-disconnect the aux fuel line.
IIonPilgrimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #18
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIonPilgrimg View Post
I will also follow this thread with great interest.

On my dory, I have a fuel filter w/ two inputs and dual ballcock valves. I monitor and manually switch between the two tanks. The simplicity of this dual tank design is ingenious, having no moving parts. The only precaution is the main tank must remain tightly sealed for the system to function correctly. To remove the AUX, just swap the position of one vent hose and quick-disconnect the aux fuel line.
good point, i never thought about a leak developing in the seal on the filler cap of the main that would prevent the vacuum needed to pull from the aux. one of the advantages i have on my pwc, is it is also a gravity siphon, as the bottom of the Aux is about 4 inches higher than the top of the main. but i think like mentioned above by CGR, having a hand pump bulb that i can drop inline with the quick connects is a good plan regardless.

Last edited by Some Dude on a Ski; 04-26-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 03:12 PM   #19
Orion
Ifish Nate

Great thread....
For tuna runs I add a 28gallon fuel tank to the floor of my dory ahead of the center console. I have a quick connect plumbed to a ball valve which provides switching between the main tank and the tuna tank. I usually run for a short time on the main, then switch to the auxiliary tank. I run it down to about half to 1/4 remaining and switch back to the main. I try to keep enough in each tank to get home just in case a tank gets compromised in some way. One valve for two tanks....easy.

Orion

There is a fifth dimension, beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call The Twilight Zone.
—Rod Serling
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 04:00 PM   #20
DogGone
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Great thread....
For tuna runs I add a 28gallon fuel tank to the floor of my dory ahead of the center console. I have a quick connect plumbed to a ball valve which provides switching between the main tank and the tuna tank. I usually run for a short time on the main, then switch to the auxiliary tank. I run it down to about half to 1/4 remaining and switch back to the main. I try to keep enough in each tank to get home just in case a tank gets compromised in some way. One valve for two tanks....easy.

Orion
I have a similar set up. Don’t ever forget to switch the valve from the auxiliary tank back to the main tank after you remove the auxiliary tank and then try to launch in big surf. There is likely only enough fuel left in the auxiliary fuel line to warm up the motor. Don’t ask me how I know this.
DogGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #21
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

His 'toons are getting a reverse chine to bite for turning and help lift on takeoff, but they'll have to be kept short to keep from grabbing waves/splash when running and causing adverse handling effects.

Aluminum Works by JD
Old 06-28-2017, 06:45 AM   #22
yeep740
Ifish Nate

Not sure if you guys have seen this:

https://www.facebook.com/hooklinesin...5512955949939/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeep740 View Post
Not sure if you guys have seen this:

https://www.facebook.com/hooklinesin...5512955949939/

I was debating on getting the "Tubbies" as they call them; the storage, additional mounting surfaces and additional flotation at idle would be awesome. However I couldn't convince myself the installed system would allow the ski to perform as well in our surf conditions as it already does. Watching a fair number of videos showing the skis with the tubbies installed, it appears to me they experience a lot more calm ocean days then we do.
I'm talking to a manufacture about an inflatable RIB system for my current ski, but we're still contemplating how that will effect the performance in the surf and if it will alter fuel consumption much.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #24
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishonthebrain View Post
I was debating on getting the "Tubbies" as they call them; the storage, additional mounting surfaces and additional flotation at idle would be awesome. However I couldn't convince myself the installed system would allow the ski to perform as well in our surf conditions as it already does. Watching a fair number of videos showing the skis with the tubbies installed, it appears to me they experience a lot more calm ocean days then we do.
I'm talking to a manufacture about an inflatable RIB system for my current ski, but we're still contemplating how that will effect the performance in the surf and if it will alter fuel consumption much.
Not to mention they are $5k, plus shipping. The tubbies are quite popular in Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa (PWC fishing is pretty big in those countries), but as of yet, no one over here has really tried to put out anything similar. The project that Joe made for me was a start, though .

The other main factor that I personally don't like about the tubbies is how they are laid out. I prefer the single, large cooler in the back, as opposed to two split storage bays on each side.

RE: Your RIB system... I have talked to several RIB and SUP shops in the past, and none seemed especially interested in doing anything custom. Wing Inflatables and Dockitjet are about the only two systems that come close. Which shop are you working with?
Old 06-28-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
Beedub
Steelhead

I don't own a PWC, but I've enjoyed reading this thread. Just out of curiosity what kind of ocean conditions do most guys want before they'll take their jet ski out on the ocean?

Beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #26
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
I don't own a PWC, but I've enjoyed reading this thread. Just out of curiosity what kind of ocean conditions do most guys want before they'll take their jet ski out on the ocean?

Heh, you don't need ideal conditions to take a pwc out into the ocean . Typically I don't cross Netarts if the swell is greater than 6', and overall I dislike mixed swell, or wind waves 3' or greater.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #27
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahundro View Post
Heh, you don't need ideal conditions to take a pwc out into the ocean . Typically I don't cross Netarts if the swell is greater than 6', and overall I dislike mixed swell, or wind waves 3' or greater.
that's about the same for me at Netarts as well. I cross the CR quite a bit fall season - there (and any of the coast guard controlled ports) it's more of making the the best judgement on bar conditions that won't be restricted to 16 foot more than it is what i'm comfortable taking the ski in - which is why most of us look to the non-regulated ports.

I'd really like to get some tribal knowledge from the tow in surfer guys that run out of the siletz - they're bombing ski's across the surf there in 10-15 foot swell or more...learning how to navigate in 10 foot long period surf could open up months of rockfishing in the winter.

"At Sea, I learned how little a person needs, not how much." Robin Lee Graham

Last edited by Some Dude on a Ski; 06-28-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #28
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
that's about the same for me at Netarts as well. I cross the CR quite a bit fall season - there (and any of the coast guard controlled ports) it's more of making the the best judgement on bar conditions that won't be restricted to 16 foot more than it is what i'm comfortable taking the ski in - which is why most of us look to the non-regulated ports.

I'd really like to get some tribal knowledge from the tow in surfer guys that run out of the siletz - they're bombing ski's across the surf there in 10-15 foot swell or more...learning how to navigate in 10 foot long period surf could open up months of rockfishing in the winter.
John G can set you straight there. I'm too much of a chicken for that kind of surf, though.

EDIT: I would be very interested in knowing where those guys launch on the Siletz. I have eyeballed that port a few times.

Last edited by Omahundro; 06-29-2017 at 07:17 AM.
Omahundro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #29
FallFever

Thinking about Nehalem bay tomorrow morning for halibut. Got my sturgeon video up, enjoy.

FallFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #30
Beedub
Steelhead

Thanks!

Beedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:31 PM   #31
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Nice FF. Those trevalas make pretty good all around rods huh? Is that a mh you're using on the sturgeon? I used a medium for Springer's a year ago to break it in and it worked well. Broke it on a lingcod though of all things.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #32
FallFever

Quote:
Nice FF. Those trevalas make pretty good all around rods huh? Is that a mh you're using on the sturgeon? I used a medium for Springer's a year ago to break it in and it worked well. Broke it on a lingcod though of all things.

I bought two this winter and love them, I believe that they are the MH. They were a little stiff for the sturgeon but obviously did the job. I actually need to talk with you, going to make some changes on the ski this next winter.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:24 PM   #33
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallFever View Post
I bought two this winter and love them, I believe that they are the MH. They were a little stiff for the sturgeon but obviously did the job. I actually need to talk with you, going to make some changes on the ski this next winter.
Sounds good. I've learned a few things since we did yours and I'm sure you've got a system down and what you want better too. Just give me a heads up by a couple months.

Keep the videos coming, lots better than our boring boat ones 😃

Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 AM   #34
FallFever

Someone caught 1 tuna off a ski yesterday 60 miles out. Hopefully he will post the story or video if he took one.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #35
Omahundro
Tuna!

Warning: Long boring video...

Old 07-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #36
Rwraces
Steelhead

Well, hopefully it works. Pretty crafty. Top heavy might have you rocking a bit much.? Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 AM   #37
Ducky12555
Chromer

Alright guys. I have been following you guys for a while now on this thread !! And have just been in awe about PWC fishing. I have a 2015 spark 3 up and also a 2017 spark 3 up. Both are HO 90HP engines and only consume about a 1/3 of what the bigger boats consume as far as gas goes. So, it has an 8 gallon tank, if I brought another day 10 gallons along and a cooler, would I be good you think? Also, have any of you flipped your skis? I flipped mine on the Columbia with my wife on the back and just don't want to do that in the ocean. Lol. Anyhow, any info is very well appreciated and I would love if someday maybe I could team up with some of you guys and try it out. The spark is small, light and different than your guys's but that don't mean she can't handle the big pond.... right?

Ducky12555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:24 AM   #38
fishonthebrain
Steelhead

[QUOTE=Ducky12555;14447338]Alright guys. I have been following you guys for a while now on this thread !! And have just been in awe about PWC fishing. I have a 2015 spark 3 up and also a 2017 spark 3 up. Both are HO 90HP engines and only consume about a 1/3 of what the bigger boats consume as far as gas goes. So, it has an 8 gallon tank, if I brought another day 10 gallons along and a cooler, would I be good you think? Also, have any of you flipped your skis? I flipped mine on the Columbia with my wife on the back and just don't want to do that in the ocean. Lol. Anyhow, any info is very well appreciated and I would love if someday maybe I could team up with some of you guys and try it out. The spark is small, light and different than your guys's but that don't mean she can't handle the big pond.... right?

If you're comfortable with your riding experience, you will be crossing either surf or a bar, (I don't want to assume) you should be good for both salmon and bottom fishing without added fuel.

I would advise you to start with a kill bag (WPS makes good kill bags and can put attachment points wherever you need or want on their bags) and go on a bottom fishing trip with one of us (I can't speak for anyone else, but PM either myself or Some Dude On A ski, we will gladly help you in any way possible) before adding the fuel tank. We typically fish fairly close to the launch when bottom fishing; you would be fine on fuel for this trip, I've never burn't anywhere 8 gallons on a typical bottom fishing trip-and my ski eats fuel compared to the sparks. The bottom fishing trip will give you a chance to fish off your ski in the ocean in an relaxed manner to get a feel for how you may want to equip your ski; extra fuel, rod holder, VHF, FF/GPS, means of being towed, etc.

Once you have some ocean riding experience (sorry, don't want to assume you've ridden out in the ocean) and equipped the ski for longer runs, there more options!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:42 AM   #39
Omahundro
Tuna!

Ducky,

1. I know some of the sparks models have an open space in the front. My concern for you there is going through the surf (if you decide to do that), and possibly larger wind waves. A wave over your bow might be an interesting experience. If you have the model that has a covered bow then you should be ok.

2. Make sure you think about personal safety. Wetsuit or Drysuit, radio, gps, etc. I love when folks come out with me, but my stance has always been that I am not there to watch over anyone. Your safety is your responsibility. Take it seriously, and the rest is gravy =).

3. For range, I would highly suggest you do some testing on your own. I typically do a range run on my skis on the Columbia near Sauvie Island. Try to hold your speed at around 30-35 (tends to be the sweet spot for pwc's) and plan trips starting at 30 miles, and then go from there. I say 30 miles because my rig has 110 hp and has a 3.6 gph burn at 35. With an 8 gallon tank, you'd want to have a couple gallons in reserve, and should plan your trip around a 6 gallon run. Always keep in mind that conditions on the ocean are rarely, if ever, ideal, and you will always burn more gas than you expect.

4. If you plan on adding any fishing setups to your rig, I would definitely agree with John on his suggestion of a kill bag. Make your setup as light as possible. I found out the hard way that these smaller pwcs start to get quite unstable when you load them up. I would be happy to help you. I love the DIY stuff =). We can definitely look at how to add extra fuel tanks, as well.

5. As for your rollover, plan for it. Practice your reboarding, have a system in place to recover your gear (leashes/tie downs/floats). Make it an event that will just be something to laugh about after you get back on and continue fishing =).

I live in Cornelius, and am always happy to have folks over to talk pwc fishing. Send me a message if you want to drop by sometime.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:20 PM   #40
Ducky12555
Chromer

Wow. Thank you guys for your responses. As far as me ever being in the ocean. Not on a ski. But, I have screwed around a lot in the willamette on both of my skis and feel comfortable to take them out in the ocean. And of course, be ready for a flip over. As far as the wave over the bow, yes, I do have the storage box so no worries there. And if it does take water that water just goes out under my feet anyhow. And where exactly would I keep a kill bag? I was thinking I would have to fab up some sort of bracket for the back of the boat to hold stuff like a cooler (or kill bag) ? And rod holders etc. and of course gas tanks. But wow these little sparks get amazing gas mileage. I burn about half tank in 3 hours. And that's screwing around jumping wakes. Chasing each other wide open and such. I'd assume on the ocean half throttle I'd get a lot better mileage lol right? Man, I am so pumped just thinking about heading out on a ski

Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 PM   #41
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducky12555 View Post
Wow. Thank you guys for your responses. As far as me ever being in the ocean. Not on a ski. But, I have screwed around a lot in the willamette on both of my skis and feel comfortable to take them out in the ocean. And of course, be ready for a flip over. As far as the wave over the bow, yes, I do have the storage box so no worries there. And if it does take water that water just goes out under my feet anyhow. And where exactly would I keep a kill bag? I was thinking I would have to fab up some sort of bracket for the back of the boat to hold stuff like a cooler (or kill bag) ? And rod holders etc. and of course gas tanks. But wow these little sparks get amazing gas mileage. I burn about half tank in 3 hours. And that's screwing around jumping wakes. Chasing each other wide open and such. I'd assume on the ocean half throttle I'd get a lot better mileage lol right? Man, I am so pumped just thinking about heading out on a ski

Definitely bring it by sometime. I'd love to take a look and brainstorm some ideas with you on it. 3 hours for half a tank is pretty awesome. Heck, it might be tuna capable with a 5 gallon secondary tank.
Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 PM   #42
Ducky12555
Chromer

Ya. You know I've never fished for tuna. Always been interested and that's what I primarily want to do. Bottom fish would be fun too. I am just worried about how stable the boat will be. But maybe I could add flotation to both sides ??

Old 07-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #43
Omahundro
Tuna!

Quote:
Ya. You know I've never fished for tuna. Always been interested and that's what I primarily want to do. Bottom fish would be fun too. I am just worried about how stable the boat will be. But maybe I could add flotation to both sides ??

Welcome to jetski fishing. Lots of us talk about that same issue all the time. So far, the verdict is still out on how to do that.

$3500 for a Rib skirt.
$3000-$5000 for a set of "tubbies".
$1800-$2500 for a rescue sled.

Or you can try to find a local shop to do custom work out of aluminum, RIB, foam, sup, fiberglass, etc. You can also try begging boat manufacturers to help us out... that hasn't worked for the past 5 years though...

EDIT: Now that I think about it, a rescue sled on a spark sounds like the option I'd explore. You might want to connect with Spencer for that.

Last edited by Omahundro; 07-25-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Omahundro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #44
Ducky12555
Chromer

Hmm. I guess flipping the ski isn't that bad. If you have flotation for all your stuff and can safely get back on board etc. and of course if it is during the summer when it's warm. So, as far as fishing bottom fish for my first time out, what do you think I need? Just the basics of course. I have the ski, have salmon rods and reels. Rod holder I'd assume I would need. Where do I mount that? Is there a mount that mounts to the handle bars?

Old 07-25-2017, 08:31 PM   #45
Ducky12555
Chromer

I'm just gonna continue cruising this page looking for stuff. Seems to be the best way of learning

Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM   #46
Ducky12555
Chromer

Here is something I have found. Looks pretty nice and doesn't require modification to the machine which I like. And can also hold rotopax gas cans. And poles and cooler. Lol seems like it does everything. Any one of you guys have any experience with these things? Look pretty awesome but seems too easy lol

Old 07-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #47
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Quote:
Here is something I have found. Looks pretty nice and doesn't require modification to the machine which I like. And can also hold rotopax gas cans. And poles and cooler. Lol seems like it does everything. Any one of you guys have any experience with these things? Look pretty awesome but seems too easy lol

I looked at a lot of those pre-fabbed cooler holders, and they all have the same problem - they won't fit a cooler long enough to stuff a good sized ling cod or salmon into. then the catch 22, is the coolers long enough to stuff chinook and large lings in are getting too big to maneuver around when re-boarding. Last year i got rid of the cooler, and went to the kill bag for near shore fishing, and a rescue sled with cooler for tuna grounds.

for the rescue sled, I went with the liquid shredder from water safety - just over $700 after shipping. the thing i like the most about it, is the ice and catch are all on their own flotation about 300lbs worth of flotation. downside, it does somewhat effect the handling of the ski and you do loose some maneuverability (especially loaded down).

As for safety equipment, dress for submersion...it's a wet ride and better to over dress than under. so dry suit or wetsuit (i prefer the dry), then make sure your layered under it for being in the water, not just on the water. you'll want a vhf (handheld for going with groups, fixed mount if you run solo). life vest, whistle, flares or approved signal light, and take advantage of the coast guard auxillary safety inspections.

a quick google search is showing the spark at 450lb of payload capacity. without having ever ridden a spark, i can only compare that to my ski at a 496 lb capacity. thats a 50 lb difference (50 lbs is a little less than the weight of 10 gallons of gas). Start light, and think from a minimalist perspective, keep all the weight as low as possible. re-boarding from the side is likely not an option, so whatever you put on the back deck make sure you can climb over it.

I only fish the northern half of the coast, and would make the suggestion that Depoe Bay would be a good starting point for getting salty. Here you have a very short bar crossing (15-30 seconds). and there is good bottom fishing grounds within 2-4 miles from port. I've read reports that some of the southern ports have easy access outside, but i have no personal experience with them, so i can't really chime in there.

Then Pick a day forecasted to be less than 4 feet wave, longer than 7 second period, and less than 10mph wind. A forecast like that is a fairly safe bet for no bar restrictions, and calmer conditions outside. like most other guys have said, I'd be happy to go out with ya and help you get set-up. The hope with starting this thread is we'd get enough interest that no-one would need to go at it solo if they didn't want to.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #48
Ducky12555
Chromer

Well here's pictures of my ski. I think I need to work on getting rod holders mounted up and then I could figure something out for the kill bag. Do you guys think that this lid would be sturdy enough to put rod holders on?
If not where else? Should I have some in the back?
Few more pics of what I have to work with. My theory is if I have the rod holders on this lid I could still use my cubby: for water bottles tackle boxes etc. etc.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:11 PM   #49
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

it's hard to say without looking it over in person. for the 1st several months this is how i fished till i got a good idea of what to do. milk crate with pvc tubes zip tied to it for pole holders, kill bag sitting in the foot well lashed to the mirror with para cord. granted, a good amount of that set-up broke, or didn't work well, but gave me time on the water fishing to figure out where i wanted to put stuff.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0943.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	603194  

Old 07-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #50
Ducky12555
Chromer

Ya I'm gonna have some homework to do. I think a couple of the other guys are gonna help me out with that. It would be awesome for all of us to head out together some day. I was just at fishermans looking at 7' rods and such. trying to figure out what reel I want. I'm just gonna go with an ugly stick rod. And I preferably want a line counter reel. Idk why but I love to know how close that fish is and I like to know how many feet out I am when trolling.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #51
FallFever

Thumbs down Re: PWC Fishing (All Purpose)

Ducky I can tell you that anything you have ever experienced on a river with that machine will not remotely compare to the fun you will experience on the ocean. I am off the water, unfortunately for the rest of the season, and am in Astoria. I am not sure where you are out of but if you are ever out my way I would love to look at your ski and brainstorm with you. That rack system would be ok for smaller fish or if somehow you could secure a large kill bag to it or manipulate it to accommodate a larger cooler then it could work well for bigger fish. I run my setup with a 152qt igloo cooler on the back, it has no effect except a little porpoising when the cooler is loaded with tuna. But I can generally control that with my trim or minimize it. I will warn you, once you take that in the salt the river will never be fun again. Hopefully next year I will see you out there.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:46 AM   #52
Ducky12555
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallFever View Post
Ducky I can tell you that anything you have ever experienced on a river with that machine will not remotely compare to the fun you will experience on the ocean. I am off the water, unfortunately for the rest of the season, and am in Astoria. I am not sure where you are out of but if you are ever out my way I would love to look at your ski and brainstorm with you. That rack system would be ok for smaller fish or if somehow you could secure a large kill bag to it or manipulate it to accommodate a larger cooler then it could work well for bigger fish. I run my setup with a 152qt igloo cooler on the back, it has no effect except a little porpoising when the cooler is loaded with tuna. But I can generally control that with my trim or minimize it. I will warn you, once you take that in the salt the river will never be fun again. Hopefully next year I will see you out there.

I sure hope so! Hoping to get out there soon! VTS might be something I'll have to get also. Just so many things I'm gonna need to get but I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I think for tuna, about 4 tuna would be my max I could carry

Old 08-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #53
Ducky12555
Chromer

Alright guys. I went and got 2 rods and 2 reels for tuna and bottom fishing and some rod holders for the ski.

Omahundro and I went out yesterday and did a range test on my ski, found out that I get an average of about 10 mpg. Or at least 50+ miles with 5.15 gallons. So, with my ski, with 8 gallon tank, I could feasibly do 80 miles. Obviously you have to take into account bad surf, wind chop, etc etc. so let's say 70 miles per tank. Now, I have my dad (a welder for many many years) building me a rack for the back of the ski for a gas can, and a few little extra items. So hoping to have that rigged soon.

Now, what's scaring me the most here is this. I went into fishermans and talked with friends over there that have been fishing for a very long time. Anyhow, I told him about running out for tuna on the ski and he said are you nuts??? And said do you really want to swim with sharks? He said that the few times he has gone for tuna thy always see sharks and they try to keep the blood out of the water. He said last time they were out, they have 10 sharks circling the boat because they had a bunch of blood in the water. Is this true? Do sharks really come and swarm your skis? That's scary as hell??? I'm really hoping to not have that encounter but and also like, well if I keep the blood out of the water I'll be good. Right? But how do I do that? Don't I have to bleed them? Wow. Super sketchy thinking about it in my head lol. Maybe I am just too nervous.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #54
KingSlew
King Salmon

You can bleed them without putting blood in the water, just bleed them into the ice in your cooler with the plug in.
You're not going to be putting the great number of fish that the boats do on board.

Most of the sharks are going to be blues and they are fairly innocuous. If you happen to catch a mako, they're good eating, but be careful, they have a much more serious bite than a blue shark...
Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #55
Ducky12555
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSlew View Post
You can bleed them without putting blood in the water, just bleed them into the ice in your cooler with the plug in.
You're not going to be putting the great number of fish that the boats do on board.

Most of the sharks are going to be blues and they are fairly innocuous. If you happen to catch a mako, they're good eating, but be careful, they have a much more serious bite than a blue shark...

Ok. Little less scary. Lol! Now, what if I'm using a kill bag that leaks (cheap ones that intentionally leak) ? Or do I just get a rack that accepts a cooler and ditch the bag idea? I just don't want too much extra stuff I don't need is all

Old 08-02-2017, 05:06 AM   #56
Some Dude on a Ski
Steelhead

Quote:
Ok. Little less scary. Lol! Now, what if I'm using a kill bag that leaks (cheap ones that intentionally leak) ? Or do I just get a rack that accepts a cooler and ditch the bag idea? I just don't want too much extra stuff I don't need is all

It took me about 2 years to get dialed in well enough to make a tuna run, 30+ miles out you really need to be as self reliant as possible, as help can be a really long ways away. I would suggest starting near shore with salmon and rockfish, and make adjustments to your setup based on how well it performs there.

(i'm by no means a pwc tuna expert, and only got maybe 20 tuna trips on boats under my belt) but where you really get the shark swarming is when you've been on a bait stop for a while, everytime you gaff a fish, you'll put blood in the water. if your trolling, you aren't staying with the blood. on a stop, your chumming water with bait, putting tuna blood in the water with every gaff, then auto bilge kicks on and really puts a blood slick out - this is why a few boats have gone to netting tuna or won't wash down the blood till they are ready to move, but they also stay on a drift with the fish for hours. with the blue sharks (which is the majority of what you'll see), it's really about the annoyance of them interfering with the fishing more than a safety concern.

On a PWC, you'll pretty much have to come to peace with the fact your not on top of the food chain. Dont fear, but respect the things in the water bigger than you - for instance the sea lion thread on here about the 1500lb sea lion in PC that was trying to board a dory - you'd be on the losing end of a wrestling match on a pwc. I haven't had it yet, but if i do ever see the dorsal fin of an orca, i'll let it have it's part of the ocean, and i'll find something to do the other direction.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:49 AM   #57
Jon55
Chromer

Another thing you can and should do on a tuna run is buddy up with someone. Not only can you buddy up with other PWCs but at least Steve has posted a willingness/desire to buddy up with PWCs in this dory. You could post on one of their tuna threads or their general thread when you are thinking of going out.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:58 AM   #58
Ducky12555
Chromer

Some really great info you guys give out! Makes it a tad less intimidating. I think that my first couple trips will most definitely be bottom fishing trips and try to get use to how the ocean feels under my ski. When I go out, I will hopefully be going out with one of you guys so you can kinda show me the ropes. And it is always best to travel in pairs anyhow correct?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #59
FallFever

Get a EPIRP, hand held radio and a dry suit/submersion suit or a wet suit. Don't listen to those girls at fishermen's, the only way you will be in the water is if you're messing around and fall off or if the craft catches fire. It is the whales that you need to watch out for, f those things. IMO Japan and China need to step up their game with those dam things. The sharks don't bother ya that much. I have had a couple mouth the side a time or two and landed on a couple of sharks coming over the back of a swell. They are kinda like rats out there, here there and everywhere. I personally keep my G27 on me or in my vessel when I am out and don't bring a shark on board until it has had a little brain surgery with 165gr of .40.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:01 PM   #60
Ducky12555
Chromer

Oh trust me I'd never head out there by myself. Just too risky IMO. I'll try to go out with you guys if I can soon ! getting my rod holders on tonight