Dept of forestry board adopts temporary rules in Rogue-Siskiyou region - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #1
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Default Dept of forestry board adopts temporary rules in Rogue-Siskiyou region

Received an email update at lunch but could not find a news release and did not listen to board meeting so just taking its word.

The temporary rules last for 6 months and become permanent if the MOU legislation passes

Old article:

https://mailtribune.com/news/top-sto...nder-agreement

“That includes adding the Siskiyou Region to Western Oregon’s norm of 60-foot-wide no-cut buffers on both sides of small fish-bearing streams and 80 feet on both sides of medium fish-bearing streams, both on private and commercial timberlands governed by the state act.

The current rules here have required 20-foot setbacks, but the region now joins the rest of Western Oregon in streamside setbacks adopted in 2017 but deemed exempt in the Siskiyous for largely technical reasons.”

Big step for private property in the area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 06-03-2020, 12:17 PM   #2
LineIsTight
Steelhead

Default Re: Dept of forestry board adopts temporary rules in Rogue-Siskiyou region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
Received an email update at lunch but could not find a news release and did not listen to board meeting so just taking its word.

The temporary rules last for 6 months and become permanent if the MOU legislation passes

Old article:

https://mailtribune.com/news/top-sto...nder-agreement

“That includes adding the Siskiyou Region to Western Oregon’s norm of 60-foot-wide no-cut buffers on both sides of small fish-bearing streams and 80 feet on both sides of medium fish-bearing streams, both on private and commercial timberlands governed by the state act.

The current rules here have required 20-foot setbacks, but the region now joins the rest of Western Oregon in streamside setbacks adopted in 2017 but deemed exempt in the Siskiyous for largely technical reasons.”

Big step for private property in the area

Good news, however, still seems like a bigger riparian zone would be better than the proposed. Baby steps, I say, are better than no steps at all.
LineIsTight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:29 PM   #3
freespool
King Salmon

Default Re: Dept of forestry board adopts temporary rules in Rogue-Siskiyou region

Is this a true no cut buffer or can they high grade anything over 11in not leaning over the water?

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
Is this a true no cut buffer or can they high grade anything over 11in not leaning over the water?

Here is the response I got:

This change only applies to the Siskiyou because they were left out of a rule change several years ago, so this is raising the protections for the Siskiyou to same level as the rest of Western Oregon.

I certainly agree we need a wider set of improved buffers across state and private ownership.

The buffers approved today are not no touch buffers. Only a 20 foot no touch, then retention of trees required out to 60 or 80 feet depending on the stream size. But the distribution must be across the entire buffer area, and cannot be packed into the inner portion.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:13 PM   #5
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Default Dept of forestry board adopts temporary rules in Rogue-Siskiyou region

Seems like merely an upgrade to our already terrible, normal standards.

Old 06-03-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
freespool
King Salmon

Buffers on fish bearing streams should be 200' and non fish bearing steams should be 100', all buffers should be no high grade cutting.

Red cedar should be planted along all waterways

"A curious thing happens when fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions." Kennedy Warne
freespool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Turns out you can buy a buffer

https://projects.oregonlive.com/poll...y-money/part-1
Old 06-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #8
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

Thumbs down Re: Dept of forestry board adopts temporary rules in Rogue-Siskiyou region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrophilic View Post
Seems like merely an upgrade to our already terrible, normal standards.

SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
jokofish
Chromer

An 80' buffer is only like 1-2 trees deep in areas with mature timber. Then 1/2 of them blow down as they have not been growing in the open most of their life and so have not developed the robust root structure that an open grown tree would.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #10
Spinitrode
King Salmon

Somewhat related... My dad retired from ODOT; I can recall us having a similar discussion about leaving a strip of trees along the edge of clearcuts, only in this case it was to provide a visual buffer along the highways so motorists wouldn't just see fields of stumps going by. I remember him saying his road engineer buddy who was in charge of one of those regional maintenance units always complained it was a stupid policy since so many of them usually blew down anyway within the first few winters, which of course just became a hazard problem for them to clean up each time.
Spinitrode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #11
adrenaline
King Salmon

Yep, blowdown will take out a row of trees in one gust, 80' is better than nothing, but likely too, little too late, 500' minimum buffer, 1000' is about right.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:32 AM   #12
Hydrophilic
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinitrode View Post
Somewhat related... My dad retired from ODOT; I can recall us having a similar discussion about leaving a strip of trees along the edge of clearcuts, only in this case it was to provide a visual buffer along the highways so motorists wouldn't just see fields of stumps going by. I remember him saying his road engineer buddy who was in charge of one of those regional maintenance units always complained it was a stupid policy since so many of them usually blew down anyway within the first few winters, which of course just became a hazard problem for them to clean up each time.
Funny you mention that, I drove by a stream like you mentioned. It curved away from the road in one place so I pulled over to get out and check and noticed the buffer disappeared away from the road.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #13
Fishfeet
King Salmon

HMMM.
More work for the surveyors.
Job security. Good stuff!
Old 06-04-2020, 02:33 PM   #14
kittiwake
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespool View Post
Buffers on fish bearing streams should be 200' and non fish bearing steams should be 100', all buffers should be no high grade cutting.

Red cedar should be planted along all waterways
What? We have Port Orford Cedars down here!

I like your point about non-fish bearing streams....they make up the vast majority (mileage-wise) of the stream network and (when shaded) ensure pockets of thermal refuge exist throughout the length of the larger, fish bearing streams during summer. Imperative for migrating adults, lingering juveniles, and residents during hot afternoons and into the evening.

Rogue Riverkeeper has been pushing this hard....great work Riverkeeper!
kittiwake is offline   Reply With Quote