IFish Fishing Forum banner

Loss of a Sport Fishing Champion: Allan Kelly

31K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  fineline 
#1 ·
Many of you who have been around the sport for awhile will remember Allan Kelly and those that have not will benefit from his deeds. Allan Kelly, Northwest Steelheader hall of famer, founding member and executive director of the Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation, former Fish and Wildlife commissioner, and champion of fish and wildlife passed last week. During the eighties it seemed like Allan was everywhere. If you could come up with a good idea with the sport in mind it seemed like Allan was already working on it. Like Monroe's article in today's paper said, " His legacy is everywhere - boat ramps, viewing platforms, salmon and steelhead fisheries, habitat projects and public land purchases." Strange how I just ran across my deed to a piece of the lower Deschutes River public land purchase just the other day. We were fortunate to know Allan and with his passing I hope there will be many others to be champions as well.

#2 ·
Amen to that. I had the priviledge of working with Allan when he was on the OFW Commission. As he was stepping down from the Commission and was in the start up phase of the Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation I was one of the 5 people to approach him with the Deschutes River land purchase and was able to work with him on that project. His legacy will probably never be fully known or appreciated by the public at large. In his quiet, friendly, effective manner he did much to enhance what we enjoy today. There are too few people like Allan and it is a loss for all of us.

#3 ·
To my knowledge, I never met the man. However, everytime I'm on on the lower Deschutes I'm grateful for the effort of him and the others that resulted in the public having access to that wonderful stretch. It's a great legacy - thanks Allan! :applause:

#4 ·
The list goes on and on that Allen was involved with. In Tillamook County we think of the South Fork Prision Camp, Tuffy Creek rearing Pond and whiskey Creek Volunteer Salmon Hatchery. Allen Kelly and Loren Parks made a great partnership. Oregon is better off because of Allen.

#5 ·
Allen Kelly was a complete gentelman, wonderful father, grandfather and great grandfather. In addition to his family, Oregon's natural resources were his passion. I am proud to have worked with him and we will miss him. We all can use him as an example as we protect and enjoy Oregon's wildlife heritage. If you are not a member of the Oregon Wildlife Heritage Foundation, join in his honor.

http://www.owhf.org/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.