Bandon Tuna - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 08-28-2017, 10:16 PM   #1
doug22
Steelhead

Default Bandon Tuna

A very good day on the ocean. ran out to the 42.95 and 125.37 66 miles.
climbed the temp. break, hit 62+ deg. water and clean cloro. one stop lasted an hour and a half! another 45 mins. Great day! 51 Tuna
our buddy boat, Vudo did quite well also. The nettie went out of Port Orford, used the straps, ran 32 miles and may have got seventy! At it again in the morning. Team Y marina
Black bolt jr.

doug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 12:01 AM   #2
Little Buck
Chromer

Default Re: Bandon Tuna

Great report Doug. Glad you guys pounded em. This might be the good news for September we have been waiting for. Hopefully they will come in closer soon.
Little Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:22 AM   #3
Donmac
Cutthroat

That's great news! Congrats on the great day and thanks for the report.
Donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2017, 07:09 AM   #4
grim
Tuna!

Thanks so much for letting us know. Great job. How are the facilities at Bandon? I've never been close to there but am considering it for next week.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Seelicious
King Salmon

Nice work, Dougy!!! Love to see some real numbers being put up!!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #6
DanBum
Steelhead

Way to go! Hope you repeat your performance today.
I would also like to hear about the facilities at Bandon.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
Scott-OR
Steelhead

Great News
I'll be on the Hunt tomorrow in the same areas. Boat fueled and loading ice as we speak.
Scott-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #8
Bafod
Cutthroat

we were out there also and heard Vudo, black bolt, and netty talking, grade of tuna was small until we got out to the 125.30 with a few commercial boat working the area we dropped in at port orford and went straight out. we released probably 15 smaller fish, the size of footballs, but still kept enough to stuff the boat with 50 fish.
Bafod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
Scott-OR
Steelhead

Thumbs up Re: Bandon Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bafod View Post
we were out there also and heard Vudo, black bolt, and netty talking, grade of tuna was small until we got out to the 125.30 with a few commercial boat working the area we dropped in at port orford and went straight out. we released probably 15 smaller fish, the size of footballs, but still kept enough to stuff the boat with 50 fish.
Thanks for your report, I see I have a sleepless night coming. cant wait till Morning
Scott-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
wildwinds
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott-OR View Post
Great News
I'll be on the Hunt tomorrow in the same areas. Boat fueled and loading ice as we speak.
Go Gettem Scott.... And the rest of you southern boys And the guys trailering down!

Send Some North Please....

Good Luck, Be Safe & I hope you catch all you want
wildwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
doug22
Steelhead

Default Re:more Bandon Tuna

I hitched a ride today with Mel, a really nice 26ft. north river, Vudo(Huan), Gill(happy tuna fisherman and there buddy from Texas. we crossed the bar, just ahead of the coast guard, really flat. Numbers: 42. 52 and 125.37. not digital this time. totally wacked the tuna again. Southern Charm was there and he did very good also! reminds me of a few years ago that NALU talks about. Maybe he will tell us the meaning? The Bandon launch is good, but if you need the restroom, It's locked! The Bar is really nasty, but if the tides are right, and the ocean, it is no problem. safety first.
black bolt jr.
doug22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:12 AM   #12
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

My thanks to Vudo and Mel for inviting me to join his tuna catching boat and this great team of tuna fisherman. We caught some of our tuna by trolling swim baits in the morning and clones in the afternoon, but only to locate the tuna. We were committed to fishing with jigs and dead anchovy and stopped/backed up the boat the minute "fish on" happened. Several time we hooked up doubles by this action; however, most of our 35 tuna were caught with jigs and dead hooked anchovy. Doug22 pointed out to me that it was very important to get the dead bait rods and jig rods in the water quickly.

Every time I go out on a new boat I learn something new. Everyone on the boat had a job. My job was to deploy the three bait rods, keep bait on the rods and bring up the tuna caught on these three rods. I lost count on how many tuna I reeled in, but there were many, more then 10. Vudo manned the bow jigging and catching tuna and chumming. He could see the tuna eat the chum and would call this out so we knew that the tuna should bite the dead bait rods. Doug22 was our master jigger and several times handed off his tuna bit jig rod, grab another rod and do it again. The Captain, Mel, drove the boat and doubled as one of the jig fisherman and tuna gaffer as did our fifth fisherman, the "guy" from Texas (Dolph). While we tried our best, but we never caught more then 7 tuna on any one stop.

We fished the blue water bubble that had moved North from Brookings where I had fished with Rymart several weeks ago. The tuna were almost due west of Port Orford at long. 125.37. So were over 10 Commercial tuna boats, all harvesting the tuna schools. It was a long 55 nm run from Bandon, but if you can run that far it is worth it.

Good Luck.

Last edited by HappyTunafisherman; 08-31-2017 at 06:03 AM.
HappyTunafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
SaltH2ONubie
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTunafisherman View Post
My thanks to Vudo and Mel for inviting me to join his tuna catching boat and this great team of tuna fisherman. We caught some of our tuna by trolling swim baits in the morning and clones in the afternoon, but only to locate the tuna. We were committed to fishing with jigs and dead anchovy and stopped/backed up the boat the minute "fish on" happened. Several time we hooked up doubles by this action; however, most of our 35 tuna were caught with jigs and dead hooked anchovy. Doug22 pointed out to me that it was very important to get the dead bait rods and jig rods in the water quickly.

Every time I go out on a new boat I learn something new. Everyone on the boat had a job. My job was to deploy the three bait rods, keep bait on the rods and bring up the tuna caught on these three rods. I lost count on how many tuna I reeled in, but there were many, more then 10. Vudo manned the bow jigging and catching tuna and chumming. He could see the tuna eat the chum and would call this out so we knew that the tuna should bite the dead bait rods. Doug22 was our master jigger and several times handed off his tuna bit jig rod, grab another rod and do it again. The Captain Mel drove the boat and doubled as one of the jig fisherman and tuna gaffer as did our fifth fisherman, the "guy" from Texas. While we tried our best, we never caught more then 7 tuna on any one stop.

We fished the blue water bubble that had moved North from Brookings where I had fished with Rymart several weeks ago. The tuna were westsouth west of Port Orford at long. 125.37. So were over 10 Commercial tuna boats, all harvesting the tuna schools. It was a long 55 nm run from Bandon, but if you can run that far it is worth it.

Good Luck.
Great details. Thanks.
SaltH2ONubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:59 PM   #14
PharmDoc
Ifish Nate

Gil, When you mention the coordinates are you being literal with the decimal format ie 125.37 degrees which would be 125deg 22.2min (125 22.2'), or are you doing what some have been doing in abbreviating minutes as a decimal (ie calling 125 37 00 as 125.37) or (D M S as D.M)?
If the 55 NM distance is correct, you would be around the 42 52' N, which is WNW of Port Orford and WSW of bandon if you meant 125 37'....aaaaannnd you would be around the 42 33' if you really meant 125.37 degrees. That's almost 20 nautical miles apart depending on which format is the "real" format you intend

Can you tell I have 9 days off coming up and want to catch some tuna??

Surely it will be "old" data by then, but it's still very useful to me as I put together my tuna map.

Thanks for clarifying
Old 08-30-2017, 07:46 PM   #15
Mark Mc
King Salmon

People who use decimal points....without actually meaning to use the decimal system...need to just STOP.

There are multiple ways to indicate 125 degrees 20 minutes. It can be:

125 - 20

125 (space) 20

125 (Jimi Hendrix Lives) 20

But NOT 125.20

Because that really means 125 degrees 12 minutes

Doug22 at least....has clarified his method.

For others who just can't keep their fingers off the . . . key . . . PULEEEZE just stop doing that!

Unless......your intent is to throw people off....kinda like those dory guys who pretend to have a different system...but really don't want to see any boats longer than 22 feet on their ocean.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:01 PM   #16
Sea Beast
Steelhead

Great job guys. Like I have been saying for the last 2 weeks " go south boys go south" so glad that someone is finally getting into tunu aftersuch a long dry spell.
Way to go! !!!!!!!!!
Sea Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #17
Rymart
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mc View Post
People who use decimal points....without actually meaning to use the decimal system...need to just STOP....
AMEN!
Rymart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 11:29 PM   #18
HappyTunafisherman
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmDoc View Post
Gil, When you mention the coordinates are you being literal with the decimal format ie 125.37 degrees which would be 125deg 22.2min (125 22.2'), or are you doing what some have been doing in abbreviating minutes as a decimal (ie calling 125 37 00 as 125.37) or (D M S as D.M)?
If the 55 NM distance is correct, you would be around the 42 52' N, which is WNW of Port Orford and WSW of bandon if you meant 125 37'....aaaaannnd you would be around the 42 33' if you really meant 125.37 degrees. That's almost 20 nautical miles apart depending on which format is the "real" format you intend

Can you tell I have 9 days off coming up and want to catch some tuna??

Surely it will be "old" data by then, but it's still very useful to me as I put together my tuna map.

Thanks for clarifying
My numbers are degrees minutes 42 45 ' x 125 37 ' which according to Navionics is about 55 nm (plus minus 2 nm) from Bandon and almost on the same latitude as Port Orford. Sorry for my confusion in using a period to represent degree minutes. I will not use a period next time, unless I mean degrees in decimal. BTW we started at around 42 57 X 125 30 and trolled looking for tuna. We finished the day at our best stop 42 45' X 125 37' but we also caught some tuna at 42 52 X 125 37'.

Last edited by HappyTunafisherman; 08-31-2017 at 12:07 AM.
HappyTunafisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #19
hcwakefield
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mc View Post
People who use decimal points....without actually meaning to use the decimal system...need to just STOP.

There are multiple ways to indicate 125 degrees 20 minutes. It can be:

125 - 20

125 (space) 20

125 (Jimi Hendrix Lives) 20

But NOT 125.20

Because that really means 125 degrees 12 minutes

Doug22 at least....has clarified his method.

For others who just can't keep their fingers off the . . . key . . . PULEEEZE just stop doing that!

Unless......your intent is to throw people off....kinda like those dory guys who pretend to have a different system...but really don't want to see any boats longer than 22 feet on their ocean.
Can we please add a "like" button to this page?
hcwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #20
Jedcraft
Ifish Nate

FYI. While carking our fish from Bandon/Port Orford I did a little post mortem because yes, I am that kinda guy. One fish had a bunch(like a big handful) those tiny pink shrimp like I saw from Charleston early this year another big fish had a large squid(like 8" -10" body) all bleached out and a 2" silver baitfish another had squid beaks but the squid were digested.
Jedcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #21
Lepper
Ifish Nate

Default Re: more Bandon Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug22 View Post
I hitched a ride today with Mel, a really nice 26ft. north river, Vudo(Huan), Gill(happy tuna fisherman and there buddy from Texas. we crossed the bar, just ahead of the coast guard, really flat. Numbers: 42. 52 and 125.37. not digital this time. totally wacked the tuna again. Southern Charm was there and he did very good also! reminds me of a few years ago that NALU talks about. Maybe he will tell us the meaning? The Bandon launch is good, but if you need the restroom, It's locked! The Bar is really nasty, but if the tides are right, and the ocean, it is no problem. safety first.
black bolt jr.
Don't forget that if it's low tide and your boat site low in the water you have to be careful... or you'll dig your props in!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:47 AM   #22
Mark Mc
King Salmon

Default Re: more Bandon Tuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepper View Post
Don't forget that if it's low tide and your boat site low in the water you have to be careful... or you'll dig your props in!
Lepper! Geez haven't seen you around here for a while! How you been? Well I hope.

Cheers

Mark
Old 09-04-2017, 09:21 AM   #23
adrenaline
King Salmon

Awesome reports South is the ticket this year for sure.