Color choices... - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 12-05-2014, 10:40 AM   #1
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Default Color choices...

What colors predominate in Oregon and Washington in terms of soft plastics and jigs?

Sorry to trot out a tired topic, but it is interesting to me. I have lived in several places down south, along with Colorado, and will be living in Oregon. Southern colors are typically watermelon variants, green pumpkin variants, and black variants. (examples watermelon/red, green pumpkin/blue, black/blue)

Colors in Colorado are pretty strongly geared towards pumpkins, both pumpkin pepper and green pumpkin, with smoke making a strong showing. Watermelon is very far off the radar, as there is almost no vegetation. Most lakes in CO are pretty clear, so translucent colors seem to dominate over strong solids. Of course, a black jig works anywhere, and lots of those are still thrown.

Thanks.

SS

Shaun Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Color choices...

I keep hearing the green pumpkin is the best out here for soft plastics.

For cranks, crawdad or shad colors seem to be popular.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
jordanb
Steelhead

Just saying whiteish color it's a killer not Pearl white just white maybe put some silver flakes in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jordanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2014, 02:51 PM   #4
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

So... What I call "hard white?" Like white fence straight up white? Colorado folks beat up pretty hard on lake trout with hard white tube jigs. What sort of conditions do you employ such a color in?

SS
Old 12-05-2014, 06:42 PM   #5
RandallPinkFloyd
Chromer

I'm a pikeminnow sports reward guy and I can give you some ideas of colors we use on the Columbia. Keep in mind these work well on both Smallies and Pikeminnow. Not well known but the better pikeminnow guys catch monster smallies every year. The good pikeminnow fisherman are putting in 8-20 hours on the river a day and are fishing for $$$, so they are pretty serious about their lure color choices. These colors are for tubes, but of course work with senko's and worms etc.

Dark Smoke Hologram
Smoke Black Copper
Clear Pepper
Smoke with Green & Gold Glitter
Hologram Shad
Pearl White
Pumpkin with Black & Green Glitter
Rainbow Trout
Brown Melon with Black & Purple Glitter
Grey Shad
Baby Bass
Bluegill

There is some matching the hatch going on with black robo worms (juvenile lamprey), and pink tubes like shrimp pepper with gold & black glitter (Siberian Prawns) which are a new invasive species mid-river. The walleyes seemed to really love those pink tubes! Also the new two tone colors with the white painted bellies did well.

I should also add that some shades of blue like daiquiri are catching on strong the past couple of years.

I have some personal favorite senko colors, but I will defer to Roger and some of the other experts on those.

At least this should give you something to think about! I would love it if you can give the Pikeminnow Sports Reward Program a try in 2015. I am very curious how someone proficient with large swim baits might do.

Last edited by RandallPinkFloyd; 12-05-2014 at 08:04 PM.
RandallPinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:22 PM   #6
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallPinkFloyd View Post
I would love it if you can give the Pikeminnow Sports Reward Program a try in 2015. I am very curious how someone proficient with large swim baits might do.
Well, that is something I have never heard of. I will look into it. If it is some sort of "Master Angler" program or the like I will most likely pass. But sounds interesting anyway, local flavor if nothing else.

I am not sure if I am "proficient" with swimbaits, I just use them a lot.

I am a Roboworm addict, I can't possibly say enough about how cool Mike and Ken are or what an awesome product they make. I am not sponsored by them, but I am a huge and un-repentant fanboy. So I tend to get a little silly with Roboworm colors, but most of my other plastics are simple, color wise. For example, I use one color of Senko, the watermelon/green pumpkin laminate. I will on very rare occasions use the black/blue laminate, but I have not had to re-stock in years I use them so little. Watermelon/green pumpkin laminate is about my favorite color to be honest. I found some Northland knock-offs of Brush Hogs a few years back in that color in a bargain bin, and bought like fifty bags or something. I love Brush Hogs though.

OK, gotta go investigate this program you were talking about.

Cheers!

SS
Old 12-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Dude... just checked out the Pikeminnow Sports Reward Program... that is just bizarre. You guys kill *********? For money? Really? wow. They kill gamefish to protect them in Colorado. The Colorado Division Of Wildlife has shock-boats out on the Yampa river every year, killing smallmouth and pike by the ton, to protect *********. Unreal.

That is a long way for me to drive to catch those things, but interesting about the money. Some of those dude are actually making solid cheddar.

Crazy.

SS
Old 12-05-2014, 09:39 PM   #8
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

What, you can't say s'quawfish? what the heck is that about?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun Solomon View Post
What, you can't say s'quawfish? what the heck is that about?
Political correctness is crazy now days.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:54 PM   #10
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

For real? That is an actual censor? Facepalm