Warm water fish plant? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 11-07-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
jgrnot
Steelhead

Default Warm water fish plant?

Why is the state of Oregon so against having a great warm water fishery. I live in S. Eastern Oregon and the water conditions warrant a great warm water fishery, but the State of Oregon refuses to help that fishery. It would not cost that much to plant Bass, Crappie and Bluegills in several water bodies throughout the State. I feel that there are enough warm water fisherman to justify the cost, so if ODFW would get off their butts maybe they could do something positive in Oregon!

jgrnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #2
CptnMorgan
King Salmon

Default Re: Warm water fish plant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrnot View Post
Why is the state of Oregon so against having a great warm water fishery. I live in S. Eastern Oregon and the water conditions warrant a great warm water fishery, but the State of Oregon refuses to help that fishery. It would not cost that much to plant Bass, Crappie and Bluegills in several water bodies throughout the State. I feel that there are enough warm water fisherman to justify the cost, so if ODFW would get off their butts maybe they could do something positive in Oregon!

It has nothing to do with lack of fisherman and everything to do with the impact of native species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 AM   #3
dirtman
Ifish Nate

What water bodies are you thinking would be good for planting of warm water fish?

I tend to think of Lake, Malheur and Harney counties as SE Oregon, but some might consider Klamath in that mix. Gerber used to be great for Crappie and I think Willow Valley is good for Largemouth. I think the Owyhee has good warmwater fishing.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
dirtman
Ifish Nate

I agree that there are lakes in that region which get too warm in the summer for trout survival and would be great candidates for warm water species. It is similar to how the state plants Brookies in high lakes where Rainbow have a hard time surviving - no harm done. I wonder if there there might also be concern about non-native warmwater fish competing with Lahontan cutthroat.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
jordanb
Steelhead

Native species is some bs if they are in the water already all the bass and pan fish can't eat them really they should stock it would be great and maybe they should start removing carp from lakes. But you got to love odfw they are some no good for nothing snakes "just saying"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jordanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
gbsmallie
Chromer

I like the idea, but cant imagine it would ever happen. One of the proposals being thrown around right now by Odfw is a "warmwater species" tag. We will get ZERO additional benefit (ie, stocking), but a way for Oregon govt to generate revenue and hose us even more. Used to be a warm water hatchery at Oxbow I think, hasnt been used in years (not 100% sure on this). Absolutely no reason not to do it. The same people that cry "not native" about warmwater species, have no problem with stocking mushy, horrible white meat Rainbows. These same people cry that we must stop planting hatchery Steelhead. Those hatchery **** Rainbows are no more "native" then a gravel spawned Largemouth or Smallmouth in my opinion. Another great example of the mismanagement of our fish and game, while raising prices even more the next 5 years...
gbsmallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:42 AM   #7
Smj
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbsmallie View Post
I like the idea, but cant imagine it would ever happen. One of the proposals being thrown around right now by Odfw is a "warmwater species" tag. We will get ZERO additional benefit (ie, stocking), but a way for Oregon govt to generate revenue and hose us even more. Used to be a warm water hatchery at Oxbow I think, hasnt been used in years (not 100% sure on this). Absolutely no reason not to do it. The same people that cry "not native" about warmwater species, have no problem with stocking mushy, horrible white meat Rainbows. These same people cry that we must stop planting hatchery Steelhead. Those hatchery **** Rainbows are no more "native" then a gravel spawned Largemouth or Smallmouth in my opinion. Another great example of the mismanagement of our fish and game, while raising prices even more the next 5 years...
Just a little information that maybe is already common knowledge.....The ODFW has drastically changed the planting of those 'Pellet Heads" in the last 15-20 years. There are myriad waters that receive very little or NO plants of hatchery trout now that used to. One case in point that is sad for me is Siltcoos Lake. Years ago Siltcoos could have been considered trophy trout water, seriously good forage for trout and good cover for coho fry. 5+pound trout were common, good tasting trout even in late summer and early fall. Try THAT at Crane Prairie! No more, the lake only gets something like 1500 planted trout per year now.....And there will be 20 people when the planting truck pulls up catching as many as they can, leaving very few to grow to size.

Smj

Last edited by Smj; 11-08-2014 at 07:44 AM.
Smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:57 AM   #8
Wannabe
Chromer

Welcome to the slime rocket state.....sorry but it's true.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #9
PRINCEMASTER
Chromer

Plant some walleye in Hagg Lake. Afterall there are already enough invasive species in there. Then i would gladly help get them out...HEHEHE
Old 11-09-2014, 08:06 PM   #10
sbasser
Chromer

Welcome to the party. WDF&W has had the same philosophy for decades, but maybe got past it...not sure. Used to poison off the spiney rays and plant more Rainbows every 3-4 years. They need to realize that more $ is spent chasing warm water species all year than is spent chasing planted trout on just a few days in Spring. Improves the economy of the State as a whole, and gets more $ from the Federal tax on tackle. I can't recall the name of the law right now...Dodd Act or something like that?

The resistance to non-native species is certainly valid enough, but that horse has long been out of the barn. Plus, many NW lakes never had any sort of fish except Sculpins, but it's fine to put Trout in them? What? The anti folks ignore that Steelhead are not natural, nor Bluebacks apparently, and certainly not Kokanee. Carp aren't native either. Not a lot to be done about that now. Best bet is to juggle the limits and slot limits to regulate the fish populations as best as possible.

WDF&W supposedly got a warm water hatchery going over near Moses Lake about 15 years ago. I don't know if that's still cranking out fry or not, but in any case, bass are not suitable for hatchery, because few of them will submit to eating dead stuff (like Purina Trout Chow). They could be purchased from a hatchery down yonder, but that costs $, and doesn't require hatchery employees here...Catch 22. To some extent, the objective is to keep their jobs, more than improve fishing for you and us.

Meanwhile, my main gripe is that since our enforcement officers carry a State Patrol commission (probably Oregon also), they are taken off fish and game enforcement and put on drunk patrol at rock concerts and stuff like that. Do you have a problem with that? I sure do! C&R, Steve
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:15 AM   #11
puckfisher
Tuna!

This problem has been identified and analyzed by those of us who appreciate warm water fishing in Oregon. When you can find these fish, and there are spots around the state, pressure is increasing and protection is almost non-existent. Forget about stocking. Look to Idaho Wyoming, Arizona(huge crappies) for your spiny Ray fishing trips, Oregon just doesn't give a damn about this resource, they are pests and invaders to this state.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Work with your Warmwater guy for WDFW. I got to meet him last year at an Oregon Bass and Panfish meeting. He's a good idea.

We have mixed species waters where we stock trout into waters that are also inhabited by good warmwater species. We have some waters that we only want to use for trout but there are people that decide on their own that warmwater fish should be in there and illegally stock them. That's usually when the lakes are killed off.
Stacie L. Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
puckfisher
Tuna!

As always, Stacie, you are willing to step up and speak your piece. I usually agree but you just expressed the official attitude that bothers me regarding panfish and bass about the Nortwest in general. Illegal stocking is wrong. Period. Killing off lakes with overrun trash fish is acceptable. Killing off lakes with panfish and bass that might be managed differently should be used more commonly. Phillips Reservoir should be watched closely. Panfish can be stocked and be a tremendous alternative to planted trout. Kids can catch them easier, they eat better and can adapt to many environments. Panfish are not trash fish,spread the word.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 AM   #14
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Let me give you an example. And mind you, you won't find many people that are bigger warmwater people than me in my Agency. But there are circumstances where we just do not want warmwater fish stocked.

Mineral Lake is located in the northern part of my Region. It is what we call a nursery lake. We stock juvenile fish in the fall, close the lake to fishing over winter and use the lake itself to raise the fish. It's a perfect example of using the natural resource to grow a gorgeous trout.

However, a lot of people felt that warmwater fish should also be in that lake and started illegally stocking it back in the early 80s. We went in with rotenone. They restocked the bass. We went in again. They restocked the bass. We went in one final time. They restocked the bass.

We don't do rehabs in that lake anymore because obviously it wasn't going to work. It didn't matter how much we tried to explain why we wanted the lake to stay as a trout water. Now there are a lot of warmwater fish posted on the fish board at the local resort and some anglers asking us why.

Really the only circumstance on the west side of Washington that we have done a rehab in the last few years was to remove some northern pike.

We have warmwater fish in tons of lakes. The majority of my lakes are mixed species. There are literally just a small handful of waters that we try to maintain as a trout only water for very specifics reasons. Not as a way to deny people the opportunity for warmwater fisheries. We have tons of those and I'm working to provide better warmwater waters all the time.

Warmwater fish are NOT trash fish. I fight that DAILY in my Region. They are one of the reason that so many of our licenses get sold every year. They are a great way to introduce kids and adults to fishing. They are FUN to catch! They are just cool fish in general (although my most favorite fish is the sucker!).

I have about 20 some years left in my career to convince people the benefit of warmwater fish. I'll use every day left to do that. I just hope people will understand the 'why' behind some of the decisions where we don't want warmwater fish in a lake.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:57 AM   #15
puckfisher
Tuna!

Sucker? Really? Love the attitude expressed and hope your passion spreads throughout fishing circles in our area. Some disagree, and I get that. Any chance that the bass are being introduced in Mineral Lake naturally.? Still, panfish are acceptable in SOME lakes but are they stocked, managed, appropriate limits being placed, habitat improved,etc.? Those who haven't gotten into slab bluegills on a fly rod, jumbo crappies with a jig under a bobber or fat perch through the ice are really missing great fun. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-14-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Oh yeah, I love petting their little round noses when I'm sampling. They are so cute!

No on the bass in Mineral. But they seem to be doing fairly good despite the cooler water temperatures. I think most of our waters are best managed for mixed species. You have great trout fisheries in the fall/winter/early spring then summer comes along and the fishery moves to warmwater species. Best of both worlds.

There's a lot that needs to be done to enhance lakes for warmwater fish. And we have a lot of lakes I need to get in and survey and just find out how the warmwater fish are doing. I want to look at waters where warmwater stocking can improve the lake.

Really what my ultimate goal that I have been working on is creating a Warmwater Work Group. Similar to the salmon and steelhead work groups we have had. A group of people that will discuss our area waters and things/projects that can be done to improve them. Sort of like an advisory panel. This will help give anglers some ownership in the management of the warmwater fisheries as well. I'm hoping to be able to submit something to my boss this winter and get that project going sometime in 2015.

Last edited by Stacie L. Kelsey; 11-14-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #17
Green Eyes
Tuna!

I think OBPC has moved some warm water fish to other locations with ODFW's blessing. Also agree that illegal stocking is so wrong. Also illegal use of live bait has ruined one of my favorite fisheries. Just seems so backward to spend money on tags and then turn around and ruin some fishery for others just because you want to catch what ever. But then I guess if you are willing to do the illegal plant or live bait, you probably don't buy a license either.
Green Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:23 AM   #18
uplandsandpiper
Ifish Nate

Having just spent a full year driving back and forth across both Washington and Oregon chasing warmwater fish I think I'll chime.

1.) I actually was surprised by how many warm-water fishery opportunities existed in both states. That being said many of these fisheries were dominated by small fish and I think that is a major management issue for both states to address. There are few zipperlip slab crappie fisheries in eastern Oregon and if you want to battle monster Yellow Perch both Banks and Potholes Reservoirs will not disappoint. However, there really isn't any spectacular panfish fishery on the westside although there is decent smallmouth and walleye fishing on the lower Columbia and a few Largemouth Bass fisheries.

2.) This past year I spoke with a lot warmwater fisheries biologist and my overall impression is that there is more support within the agency at WDFW for these fisheries than ODFW. To illustrate this the ODFW proposed axing the Ana Reservoir wiper fishery which costs them about $5000 every two years. This fishery is awesome and if you haven't tried it you should!!! That is how little ODFW cares. Fortunately some of the local warmwater biologists were able to secure an outside grant to keep the program alive.

3.) WDFW does a much better job at engaging and informing the public about warmwater species opportunities. Through my big fishing year posts and articles at least 3 WDFW employees have pro-actively engaged to help me connect with warm-water species. Additionally, I've had a 100% response rate from WDFW employees regarding warm-water fisheries and those responses proved invaluable in helping me connect with those species. Response rates from ODFW biologists are about 50% and many of them could not answer the question or put me in contact with someone who could. For example, I could not find a single biologist that could tell me whether Black, White, or both Crappie species inhabited Hagg Lake.

Additionally, WDFW has developed very helpful resources including the Fish Washington online app http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/ and have posted several informative video tutorials on warmwater species including Yellow Perch, Catfish, and Walleye. Nothing like this exists for Oregon.

I think Stacie and other's would agree that there is always room for improvement. However, I think Washington is on the right track they just need to find a way to produce some larger panfish on the westside. At the same time I think Oregon has a lot to learn. If you want to contact someone at ODFW you should direct your communications to Mike Gauvin who is the recreational fisheries manager for ODFW ([email protected]). I did and never got a response but at least I politely expressed my concerns.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #19
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Absolutely! There is A LOT more to do to make what we have into better fisheries. I know we will get there.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:11 PM   #20
gbsmallie
Chromer

Stacie, you lost me at "my favorite fish is a Suckerfish" ☺.

Something for everyone to ponder....and please dont take it the wrong way, I DO NOT support illegal fish planting....
Would we have ANY warmwater fisheries in the PNW without illegal stocking decades ago? Would Stacie even have a job as a "warmwater biologist"? Would I have access to 8lb Bass at the local golf course pond at night? Now that they are here, we must manage them. But with a few exceptions, most were not "official" plants in previous decades. Just something to ponder. While I love Bass fishing at Crane and Davis for example, those lakes should have never been stocked with Bass (illegally). But start to take away all the current fisheries with illegally introduced warmwater fish, and what would the warmwater fisherman have left in Wa/Or?
Would we all be soaking Powerbait for 10" stocker zombies?
Old 11-14-2014, 04:29 PM   #21
PRINCEMASTER
Chromer

What Id like to understand is this areas obsession with trout. Coming from the Midwest we have so many people that love to fish for bass , crappie ,and walleye among others and they need little if any management in most water systems. Is this a way for some to keep their jobs by using the planting system? In the case of bass.....there are US tournaments that target this species as well as so many clubs that fish for them here. I for I love walleye and would like to see more here. Want a trout?.....go fish for them when they are running.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #22
puckfisher
Tuna!

Trout are here to stay. Planters are as you say overrated but many enjoy this fishery. Oregon finally came out of the box and planted Phillips with tiger trout and muskies. Keep your fingers crossed. This test case may open new opportunities. Wishful thinking?
Old 11-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #23
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

LOL! I get that a lot when I say they are my favorite fish.

Gbsmallie is correct about the warmwater fish. In fact, did you know that Battle Ground Lake was originally set up to be a warmwater lake? Cool huh? Way back in the mid 50s and earlier. But it didn't turn out how they expected so they switched the management over to trout fish.

A lot of our waters are very well suited for trout. But they are also well suited for warmwater fish. I'm not kidding when I say I have an uphill battle within my own Agency about the benefit and worthiness of warmwater fish. But the truth remains, warmwater fish and trout are what drive fishing license sales.

So I really want to look at each of our waters on an individual basis and see how we can best improve it for both trout and warmwater. There are a lot of things that can be done to enhance the warmwater populations. Looking at the habitat - things like coverage for juvenile fish; looking at waters that could be enhanced with stocking - we have some waters that are prey heavy.

I want to learn more about what the warmwater clubs and individuals have done to improve Hagg Lake. I've heard a lot about that fishery.

The best thing for you guys to do in Oregon is to make contact with the warmwater bio there. He's the only one for the state, but make contact with him and try to figure out how to make contact with the Commission and let them know the importance of warmwater fish to the state and how it's an overlooked asset and not a bad thing.

There is room for both trout and warmwater fish. But it's also important for anglers to understand that there is room for trout specific waters just as there would be for warmwater specific waters. Reach out to the people who manage the lakes that you like to fish.

I know I am constantly contacted by anglers who have ideas about regulations, or improvements or educational things. It's one of my favorite things about my job! Join the local warmwater clubs. There are a lot around and they do really good things.

We can show just how important warmwater fisheries are!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #24
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

Christmas Re: Warm water fish plant?

I would like to see a few more 100% C&R lakes in Oregon and Washington states. Over the years the lakes would do well! I fish a lake in Oregon that is a small C&R lake and I get several bass over four pounds a day. Maybe make it a one trout per day lake. That feeds the bass and give the meat fishermen something to eat. Rules can be adjusted as needed to maintain the fisheries.

Washington state is much better for bass and trout. Silver lake has man made cover placed in the lake by the WDFW. The trout stocking in Washington is simply GREAT! I have landed and people with me have landed 7 trout over three pounds and 4 trout over 6lbs in the last four fishing trips. This is VERY rare in Oregon! Last year I got two 8lb trout in one day.

We like catching bigger fish and if we can get several each day most of use would love that!

I now do 80% of my fishing at key times of the year, Washington trout stocking, Smallmouth bass pre-spawn, early summer I fish lakes out of the Portland area that have bigger and dumber bass and fall crappie fishing. The fishing at key times is great but it would be GREAT to fish a lake not far from the Portland area that would be C&R only

Stocking bass would be great but stock them in a C&R lake to start

Last edited by ExBassGuide; 11-24-2014 at 12:57 PM.
ExBassGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #25
dirtman
Ifish Nate

You could upload a pdf of the book in Dropbox (or any other free file hosting service) and then post the link here.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:32 PM   #26
gbsmallie
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExBassGuide View Post
I would like to see a few more 100% C&R lakes in Oregon and Washington states. Over the years the lakes would do well! I fish a lake in Oregon that is a small C&R lake and I get several bass over four pounds a day. Maybe make it a one trout per day lake. That feeds the bass and give the meat fishermen something to eat. Rules can be adjusted as needed to maintain the fisheries.

Washington state is much better for bass and trout. Silver lake has man made cover placed in the lake by the WDFW. The trout stocking in Washington is simply GREAT! I have landed and people with me have landed 7 trout over three pounds and 4 trout over 6lbs in the last four fishing trips. This is VERY rare in Oregon! Last year I got two 8lb trout in one day.

We like catching bigger fish and if we can get several each day most of use would love that!

I now do 80% of my fishing at key times of the year, Washington trout stocking, Smallmouth bass pre-spawn, early summer I fish lakes out of the Portland area that have bigger and dumber bass and fall crappie fishing. The fishing at key times is great but it would be GREAT to fish a lake not far from the Portland area that would be C&R only

Stocking bass would be great but stock them in a C&R lake to start

Just to let everyone one know before 12-25-14 I will post my bass fishing book on line on Ifish. I love to help other fishermen so this would help more fishermen that selling the book in the area!
So if there is some one From IFISH that can help me post the book let me know. I need to run it though IFISH first!
Roger, if you mean Oregon isnt very good for STOCKER trout over 3-6lbs, I would agree. However, if you are talking Trout in general, Oregon is far superior for large trout imo. I fished Washington for 20 years before moving to Central Oregon, and I can go catch a Brown, Bull or Rainbow in the 3-6 lb range, sometimes much larger almost anytime out at certain times of year. The fishing for more Wild trout is very very good in Oregon..which is probably why they are so against Warmwater. I just think there is plenty of room for both...
Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 PM   #27
Bakerite
Cutthroat

Phillips lake is a prime example of a fishery that was really messed up by "bucket biologists". It was great for good sized trout that grew from fingerlings to good sized fish very quickly until some dumped some perch in there. The muskies and the tiger trout are just last ditch efforts to make something happen. Thief Valley (the next reservoir downstream) grows great trout still and has some spiny rays, but it is drained every few years so it doesn't get a chance to overpopulate with 6 inch perch. I like to fish for warm water fish, but have seen many great lakes ruined by illegal planting in Washington, Oregon and Montana. With the Snake River reservoirs so close with great fishing why would anyone mass up Phillips?
Bakerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #28
puckfisher
Tuna!

Bakerite: Your're right but you're wrong. No one reading this endorses bucket biology. It happens and in other waters, trash fish or aggressive species overrun desirable fish. What do you want to do then? Tiger muskies and tiger trout cannot reproduce. they will not ruin any fisheries. Other states have created new fisheries to the delight of many fishermen with muskies in particular. The options were to let Phillips go, kill it and restock planters or try something new. You can go to dozens of reservoirs in your region with planted rainbows. I can't wait to see what happens in Phillips. I tip my cap to ODFW on this one.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 AM   #29
RandallPinkFloyd
Chromer

I am a multi-species fisherman from the gorge. I have fished both Washington and Oregon waters for most of my life. I think Uplandsandpiper's observations on the two state agencies are spot on.

Several lakes in my region are very successful multi-species fisheries. Horsetheif and Rowland Lakes immediately come to mind. Great trout fisheries from late April through June and then again in the winter months. Bass and panfish from May through October. The triploid stocking program by the state of Washington is outstanding. Kudos to the WDFW.

Oregon simply does not care about warm water fisheries. The ones which flourish do so in spite of ODFW's lack of interest or care.

I remember Uplandsandpiper contacting the regional biologist about Sacramento Perch in the Klamath Basin. The biologist claimed they didn't exist if I remember right. You can find multiple studies and fish samplings on the net which prove they not only exist in Oregon, but also in several locations. Heck the local Klamath Falls newspaper had published a picture of an otter eating a sacramento perch out of Klamath Lake a couple years ago. I guess the Biologist doesn't know how to read?

No one at ODFW cares about warm water gamefish imo.

This one is for Stacie:

Old 11-22-2014, 10:49 AM   #30
RandallPinkFloyd
Chromer

And concerning the ODFW.........if you can't beat 'em you mind as well join 'em.

Buying swimbaits this winter to fish Pine Hollow, Haystack and Prineville Reservoirs among others.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:56 PM   #31
puckfisher
Tuna!

Pink: I'm headed to northern Manitoba for some big pike just after ice out next May. Want me to test out thAt collection of yours? Might be a few holes in them upon return. Save a few for Phillips in a couple years. Got any baby ducks or muskrat lures? muskies like any creatures they can sink their teeth into. any way you look at it, it has got to be better than planted trout.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:10 PM   #32
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Did you know in my region that we use tiger musky for high lakes in areas where brook trout are stunted?
Old 11-22-2014, 02:11 PM   #33
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Sucker!!!! See aren't they the cutest!!!!!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:50 PM   #34
gbsmallie
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallPinkFloyd View Post
And concerning the ODFW.........if you can't beat 'em you mind as well join 'em.

Buying swimbaits this winter to fish Pine Hollow, Haystack and Prineville Reservoirs among others.

I like your style. Dont waste your time with Haystack or Prineville though...nothing over 4lbs in either lake
Old 11-22-2014, 02:52 PM   #35
gbsmallie
Chromer

Sorry, forgot the
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #36
MXRacer105
Tuna!

Quote:

Beautiful picture!!

"Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught"
MXRacer105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:46 AM   #37
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:

You should store those on a stringer instead of in a tackle box

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #38
rainorsnow1
Chromer

Just another tid-bit for the OP.

I've done extensive reading on the SE of oregon and a lot of the prime warm water they did not plant, believe it or not, dry almost completely up in low water years. From which I've read is the trend the last few years.
Even the larger waters drastically fluctuate. But there is opportunities.

These lakes are extremely fertile with life and generate large fish. Including stocked trout. But the loss of water,(they don't always dry completely) causes toxins to build up and there are huge die offs.

To touch on some of the other things said, it is a balance in most of the lakes that ODFW is after.
Look at many of the cascade lakes. They have a great food chain in place.
From plankton, which the kokanee/trout feed on, to the Browns/mackinaw that feed on the kokes and the fry of all species for that matter.
Right down to the suckers and crayfish which complete the cycle of life feeding on what others do not for the most part.

If you look at a lot of these lakes where bass have been illegally introduced it throws the balance off. Someone mentioned crane praire above. Look at what has happened to that fishery with the introduction of largemouth!

I say think about it in the sense that we need to balance our opinions as well.
Everybody wants more opportunities. But there's a give and take obviously.

So I say if you want a good fishery, get involved, get educated and think selflessly.
And go to wickiup and take all those fatties you catch home.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #39
jgrnot
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
I agree that there are lakes in that region which get too warm in the summer for trout survival and would be great candidates for warm water species. It is similar to how the state plants Brookies in high lakes where Rainbow have a hard time surviving - no harm done. I wonder if there there might also be concern about non-native warmwater fish competing with Lahontan cutthroat.
I don't think that the Lahontan cutthroat our a native species either. This year we lost a lot of warm water fish do to the draught, it would be helpful if the state could restock the lakes and ponds.
jgrnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 05:55 PM   #40
shotgun
Coho

Our ODF&W does not use common sense on what works and what won't ... Grass carp in Devils .... look at it now .... I didn't say this ... but it is up to the fisherman to move warm water fish around to places they are needed .... .... Even if were are wrong ... we will be wrong less then our ODF&W .....
shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:45 PM   #41
puckfisher
Tuna!

Can't agree with you here, shotgun. Nobody likes to fish gills or crappies more than I, but you cannot let people put whatever wherever they choose. ODFW is behind the curve and just does not get it. We need to make them aware of the value we place on these species when we can. They tried something new at Phillips. Our reservoirs for the most part are water holders for farmers not fishing holes. I do not think that will change. Neighboring states have some options worth pursuing. I have and enjoy them. Planted trout just are not my thing.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:15 PM   #42
sbasser
Chromer

Quote:

Be careful with those things...keep a lookout for Eagles swooping down on them. They do that! C&R, Steve
sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:44 PM   #43
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

That is a stock pic from an FLW article a few years back, which is good, because those baits are NEVER going to work with that combo.

I like the fact that a bio took time to respond to this thread. That would not happen where I am from. Trust me, there are places in this country where warmwater fish are, if not exactly Public Enemy Number One, then at least the ex-con uncle nobody talks about at family reunions.
Shaun Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:47 AM   #44
puckfisher
Tuna!

Shaun: I have fished many states for warm water species. Where are you referring to that shows a higher disregard than than. Oregon for warm water species? How do they treat them worse? Interesting.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:57 AM   #45
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Colorado is the specific place I was talking about. To be fair, a lot of it is down to Federal mandates, such as the killing of many, many smallmouth and pike on the West Slope, to protect, among other things, pikeminnow.

Colorado does have a pretty strong walleye program. I guess those would get lumped in with warmwater fish by many. But there is scant consideration given to bass or bass anglers, and virtually none to panfish anglers. If the situation of neglect that is being claimed to exist in Oregon towards bass is problematic in that state, it is doubly so in Colorado. There is just so little water in Colorado, and what does fall falls as snow, not rain. This puts an excessive amount of pressure on those limited warmwater resources Colorado actually has.

SS
Shaun Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote