Tacoma Bass Pro Shop Grand Opening - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 10-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
sbasser
Chromer

Default Tacoma Bass Pro Shop Grand Opening

Well, I got invited to go, so did it, first day (Thursday). The store is huge. There were lots of boats, tho I'd never again buy one of theirs. Once and only once!

I looked over the bass tackle quite a bit, bought a few things, but they generally didn't have what I wanted to look at. I didn't see any bass rods, but plenty of fly rods, steelhead rods and trolling rods <yawn>. Very little in the way of finesse plastics, very few types of jigheads, etc. They had a 20% off on all Gamakatsu. Lots of line of all types, tho I've got more line than I will ever need. The miriad employees were very helpful and apologetic for not having everything in stock yet.

My buddy (a Tacoma resident) had shown me an ad that I didn't get, showing a Johnny Morris Carbonlite ($80) spinning reel for $40, so I looked at that (dammit!) and bought a 4000 size. The checkout lines were long and slow, but I got out of line when I noticed the guy ahead of me had a brick of Remington .22LR, so I went and got one for myself. I could have had either solid or hollowpoint; took the solid by choice...about $23.

When I got home, I mounted the reel on my favorite Senko/tube skipping rod, and felt the combination...pretty good! I put the stem between my ring and pinky finger, as usual...comfy. Light and extremely smooth. I looked through my excessive collection of lines, and loaded it with a full 300 yard spool of 10 lb test Power Pro Slick 8 or whatever it's called. Haven't tried it before. Yeah, 10 lb test is pretty light for braid. I had a heck of a time tying knots with it, and had to turn up the lights and get out my readers to get it done. The drag is very smooth, the gears are very smooth, and I think I may like it a lot...tho I may find the line is too light for my hooksets...or not. I always set the drag pretty light.

I think I'll go back in a few weeks, when the weather is better. The drive home up I-5 was scary with heavy rain and lots of heavy truck traffic.

sbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2014, 09:11 PM   #2
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Tacoma Bass Pro Shop Grand Opening

Did we go to the same store? Half the fishing tackle was devoted to bass. Yeah, there was a huge selection of PNW stuff - trout/salmon/steel/tuna tackle - but the warm water selection was great. I didn't think the fly shop was all that impressive, and had about 1/4 the inventory of a similar sized Cabela's fly shop would have. Pretty lame, but BPS isn't really focused on fly fishing.

I stopped on Saturday night, not realizing it was grand opening weekend. I needed to pee on the way back from Mt. Vernon, saw a billboard for BPS and figured I'd stop. First time I saw a tackle shop have police there to provide security - both in the parking lot and in the store.

I was looking for a cheap low pro bait caster to use as a trolling setup for trout - wanted one of their lefty retrieve BPS Tourney Specials - they were sold out already. Wound up with an Abu Garcia Silver Max, which was a better reel anyway.

Also stopped to pee in Tulalip at the Cabela's up there - Cabelas had a better selection on rods than BPS, but BPS had at least as much actual tackle. I was a bit disappointed that the BPS didn't seem to have a big aquarium like in their ads, if a store as small as the Tulalip or Springfield Cabela's can put a fish tank in, why not BPS? (Yes, I know that's just a nit pick - but I get a kick out of seeing the bruisers in the Cabela's fish tanks - esp. when a big bass eats a bluegill right in front of you hehe)

I think Cabela's has BPS beat on prices for most tackle - I brought home 4 new crank baits that Cabela's was running a sale on - $1.88 for the big ones, .88 cents for the smaller cranks. I think their price on Bombers, Strike King stuff, and the like was about .50 to a buck lower than BPS prices.

I did see lots of finesse baits at the BPS - huge isle of roboworms and senkos. IIRC it was the isle closest to the fly shop entrance.

It was a neat store, I might stop again if I"m up that way, but I like the Lacey Cabelas more.

I still need to make it over to the new Tualatin Cabelas to check it out.

I still have not found a store with a better selection of rods across the board than Fisherman's Marine though. While their warm water selection isn't huge - they sure have a lot of bass rods and good reels to match.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #3
BassDood
Steelhead

Been to Cabelas in Lacey...not a bad store for bass...tho some have said otherwise. Been to the BPS in Mesa AZ and was dumbfounded by the selection of everything. Amazing store. I walked out drooling, and my wallet was somewhat lighter. Gonna give it a few weeks before I go to the Tacoma store. I live less than an hour away but want to wait til it dies down. I don't think I'll be disappointed.
BassDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #4
sbasser
Chromer

I didn't find any BASS rods in the Tacoma BPS store, but like I said, I didn't ask, either. "Danger, Will Robinson!" I looked at the Senkos and BPS Stick-Os and didn't find any under 5" length. I looked for Yamamoto and BPS "cut tail" worms and didn't find any. I've got Roboworms. Somebody said they were looking for 4" lizards and not finding them. I didn't see 5" Zoom lizards, come to think of it. My general impression was that finesse stuff was poorly stocked. Maybe in a month, they'll get it in and up. I did buy a packet of #4 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle hooks at 20% discount. When I got home, I put in yet another online order with Tackle Warehouse. I'm doomed... C&R, Steve
Old 10-27-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
gbsmallie
Chromer

What, no fish tank?! So is this store more of an "outpost" than a premier store? Hitting it up around Thanksgiving and looking forward to it...
gbsmallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
sbasser
Chromer

My impression was that the restaurant was not open yet...maybe the fish tank will be in that end of the complex (opposite from the boats). It might be interesting to try the food, at least it would be if they have Southern cookin'. I went through a fraction of the Springfield Missouri BPS in '12...awesome! They have alligators in a pool there...I expected S'quatches in Tacoma.

I do think they'll get the store stocked up a lot better within a month or so, and it'll be worth a visit...except for the sales tax. Which reminds me, now that they have a store in WA, the state will be collecting sales tax on online orders from BPS (as well as Cabela's).
Old 10-29-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
Chad S.
Steelhead

I took my girls last Friday. There is a fish tank on the back wall. Not nearly as impressive as Cabelas, but it's there. We ate at the restaurant, and the food was fine. I had the alley-gator "alligator strips" appetizer with a sweet tea, and the girls "3 of them" all had mac and cheese with a juice. Total bill was $48 for that. Seemed a little high, but oh well! Good experience, friendly people, and no wait in line. I also was a little disappointed that their gear didn't cater more towards our fishing needs for bass.