Hagg lake monster Largemouth - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #61
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Hagg lake monster Largemouth

The boy probably saved someone's pet's life. It is totally possible that bass could have attacked and eaten a Yorkshire Terrier, Pomeranian or Chihuahua.

dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #62
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

This thread took a predictable - and sad - trail.

There are two contentious issues brought up here - the fact that the bass are invasive, and the keeping of a big possible breeder.

To further steer this thing off into the weeds - it's been 40 years since Hagg was built, and the bass showed not long after it was built. The time for ODFW to have done anything to remove the warm water fish, if they wanted them gone, was then. The lake has now been managed as a mixed species lake for a long time - even though they aren't stocking the warm water fish. While the big fish that started this mess probably would've produced another batch - as big as that fish was, and given our climate, that was probably an old fish that was probably not going to last more than a couple more seasons anyway. More importantly than that one fish spawning is the fact that the young man who caught it got the thrill of his life fighting and landing the fish, and that probably solidified his passion for the sport. It presents teachable moments in fish conservation, care and use of harvested animals, and fishing etiquette. The lake won't suffer because that one fish was removed. Life will go on.

Further - the fish was caught from an impoundment, not from the free flowing stretches of river below it, that actually still have naturally reproducing populations of salmon, steelhead, and native cutthroat. It's far more likely that this thing got so fat by hoovering up crawfish, perch, and hotdog (stocker) trout rather than eating cutthroat. The streams that feed into Hagg still have good populations of native cutts, and those cutts do venture into the lake and can still be caught. The bass do not seem to have actually impacted them - a far worse impact was probably the construction of the lake in the first place and blocking fish passage up and down the creek system, and blocking the salmon and steelhead from their historic spawning grounds. The Corps of Engineers failed to follow through on the promise of a fish ladder when they build the dam, maybe when they replace it they will build a fish ladder and the big fish will have a chance to get back up into those feeder streams to make babies. Won't hold my breath.

Now if everyone kept every bass in Hagg, the fishery really would suffer. There seems to be as many folks using Hagg to chase warm water fish as they do planter trout - Hagg is a bass fishing gem that has produced more record bass in this state than any other single body of water. That means that it is generating money for the county and the local economy. If there were no bass left to fish for, that's people that probably wouldn't drive up from Eugene or Tillamook or Portland or wherever to chase these fish. They wouldn't spend money at local shops, etc etc. No one wants to drive 100+ to fish for 6-10 inch trout when they can do the same at home. Or at least, there's very few folks like that. There are a lot of guys who will drive 100 miles to chase bass that average a lot larger.

Hagg has a lot of potential - and if they managed the lake a bit differently the fishery could flourish even more. A limited stocking of bass - once a year or once every couple years to increase the numbers might help control stunted panfish populations, they could weed out some of those planter trout thus leaving more food for the remaining trout that hold over, which would lead to larger trout. Look at other impoundments known to produce big bass - they tend to produce big trout as well. It's a win for both groups of fishers.

Before this thread plunges from the weeds and goes completely off the cliff - lets not loose focus or forget what it was like when we were young and getting started fishing. I bet we kept fish - big fish, little fish - any fish, just because we caught it and were proud. Those fisheries probably still exist, and weren't irreparably harmed because of it.

Maybe the next hawg this kid catches will go back after a quick photo if he's given some helpful guidance - and not just a bunch of nasty criticism.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:55 AM   #63
rollcast
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwerx View Post
This thread took a predictable - and sad - trail.

There are two contentious issues brought up here - the fact that the bass are invasive, and the keeping of a big possible breeder.

To further steer this thing off into the weeds - it's been 40 years since Hagg was built, and the bass showed not long after it was built. The time for ODFW to have done anything to remove the warm water fish, if they wanted them gone, was then. The lake has now been managed as a mixed species lake for a long time - even though they aren't stocking the warm water fish. While the big fish that started this mess probably would've produced another batch - as big as that fish was, and given our climate, that was probably an old fish that was probably not going to last more than a couple more seasons anyway. More importantly than that one fish spawning is the fact that the young man who caught it got the thrill of his life fighting and landing the fish, and that probably solidified his passion for the sport. It presents teachable moments in fish conservation, care and use of harvested animals, and fishing etiquette. The lake won't suffer because that one fish was removed. Life will go on.

Further - the fish was caught from an impoundment, not from the free flowing stretches of river below it, that actually still have naturally reproducing populations of salmon, steelhead, and native cutthroat. It's far more likely that this thing got so fat by hoovering up crawfish, perch, and hotdog (stocker) trout rather than eating cutthroat. The streams that feed into Hagg still have good populations of native cutts, and those cutts do venture into the lake and can still be caught. The bass do not seem to have actually impacted them - a far worse impact was probably the construction of the lake in the first place and blocking fish passage up and down the creek system, and blocking the salmon and steelhead from their historic spawning grounds. The Corps of Engineers failed to follow through on the promise of a fish ladder when they build the dam, maybe when they replace it they will build a fish ladder and the big fish will have a chance to get back up into those feeder streams to make babies. Won't hold my breath.

Now if everyone kept every bass in Hagg, the fishery really would suffer. There seems to be as many folks using Hagg to chase warm water fish as they do planter trout - Hagg is a bass fishing gem that has produced more record bass in this state than any other single body of water. That means that it is generating money for the county and the local economy. If there were no bass left to fish for, that's people that probably wouldn't drive up from Eugene or Tillamook or Portland or wherever to chase these fish. They wouldn't spend money at local shops, etc etc. No one wants to drive 100+ to fish for 6-10 inch trout when they can do the same at home. Or at least, there's very few folks like that. There are a lot of guys who will drive 100 miles to chase bass that average a lot larger.

Hagg has a lot of potential - and if they managed the lake a bit differently the fishery could flourish even more. A limited stocking of bass - once a year or once every couple years to increase the numbers might help control stunted panfish populations, they could weed out some of those planter trout thus leaving more food for the remaining trout that hold over, which would lead to larger trout. Look at other impoundments known to produce big bass - they tend to produce big trout as well. It's a win for both groups of fishers.

Before this thread plunges from the weeds and goes completely off the cliff - lets not loose focus or forget what it was like when we were young and getting started fishing. I bet we kept fish - big fish, little fish - any fish, just because we caught it and were proud. Those fisheries probably still exist, and weren't irreparably harmed because of it.

Maybe the next hawg this kid catches will go back after a quick photo if he's given some helpful guidance - and not just a bunch of nasty criticism.
I think it would be interesting to see a biologist's point of view on the stocking of bass.

My uninformed guess is that since the limit is only one bass a day I doubt that fishing has a huge negative impact on the population size. Seems likely that the bass have reached a steady state population based upon the available food supply. There is certainly tons of spawning area so I doubt the ability to reproduce is holding down the population.

I think stocking bass in a situation like this is not going to be helpful to the lake unless you want to try to turn it into a put and take fishery - which I think would be a sad mistake.

To me it seems like the lake has a nice harmony now and trying to improve it will likely have the opposite effect.

Just my

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #64
jordanb
Steelhead

Look people... How much do you spend on the fishing stuff. (tackle and all the other stuff that goes with the boat supplies ect.) that's a lot of money and you're telling me that you can't keep bass over X amount of pounds that's dumb if I spend all this money on all this fishing gear broke your gas money etc. I think I should be able to keep as many faces I want and eat them. If you're not wasting the fish no harm no foul...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jordanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:49 PM   #65
kian949
Cutthroat

Personally, I like to release bass because I do not like to kill anything that's living ( I think its the Buddhist in me). If people want to catch and keep that's on them. I won't judge them for it. As long as people keep it within the laws set by the state. Everything else is just egos. Just my as they say.
kian949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #66
Bassinator
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanb View Post
Look people... How much do you spend on the fishing stuff. (tackle and all the other stuff that goes with the boat supplies ect.) that's a lot of money and you're telling me that you can't keep bass over X amount of pounds that's dumb if I spend all this money on all this fishing gear broke your gas money etc. I think I should be able to keep as many faces I want and eat them. If you're not wasting the fish no harm no foul...

This forum sucks. I don't post on here because of you eaters. Be gone.
Old 11-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #67
jordanb
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassinator View Post

How about you go find out how many bass are in the river and lakes this is why lakes have a limit lol dude it's just like hunting you kill to eat but fish have way more eggs

jordanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:15 PM   #68
white sturgeon
Steelhead

Quote:
so its ok to eat native oregon species but when it comes to invasive bass we should release them?
white sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM   #69
Salmon Mike
Tuna!

Quote:
If it sucks so bad, why don't you "be gone"? You are still posting. Hater and a liar?? maybe you should be "Bassinhater"??????

Last edited by Salmon Mike; 11-10-2014 at 01:57 PM.
Salmon Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #70
shotgun
Coho

Nice fish ...........
shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote