Greetings and salutations. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 12-01-2014, 08:25 PM   #1
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Default Greetings and salutations.

Hello to all.

My name is Shaun Solomon (yes, that is my actual real life name.) I am an avid (multispecies) angler relocating to Corvallis Oregon from Denver Colorado. I have been living in Colorado for the last twenty years, but the cold and the dry has really been killing my joy, and I am headed your way. Sorry.

I am first and foremost a bass angler, having grown up in Texas. Again, I apologize. But life in Colorado has given me an appreciation of cold water fishing that sits nicely in the mix with my innate love of bass and saltwater fishing. Walleye and hybrid stripers have been taking up a lot of my time the last few years, along with fly-rodding for trout. I am also a lure builder and fly-tier, building pretty much any type of bait you can think of (not counting injection molding) and being a contract designer for Rainy's Flies and Supplies. (I hope that last disclosure is not seen as shameless self promotion, as far as I know the patterns Rainy's has of mine are not exactly the bee's knees for Pacific Northwest fly anglers)

At any rate, I am very much looking forward to trying out the local waters for some of the healthy LMB and SMB I see posted on the boards.

Cheers to all.

SS

Shaun Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 11:13 AM   #2
CBR
Steelhead

Default Re: Greetings and salutations.

I too just relocated from the Rocky Mountain area, Salt Lake City to be exact. Welcome!
Old 12-02-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR View Post
I too just relocated from the Rocky Mountain area, Salt Lake City to be exact. Welcome!
Thanks! I saw some of your posts. How are you finding it so far? My biggest concern is that I will inadvertently transgress against the ODFW and their myriad regulations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
RandallPinkFloyd
Chromer

Welcome! You will certainly find some good bass fishing in the mid-valley and some excellent fishing in some of the coastal lakes to your south.

My biggest recommendation for someone moving here from out-of-state would be to purchase a couple of fishing guide books for the state. Two excellent ones are"Complete Angler's Guide to Oregon" by John Shewey and "Fishing in Oregon" by Madelynne Diness Sheehan and Dan Casali.
Old 12-02-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
ExBassGuide
Ifish Nate

Welcome to Oregon! You have lots of choices in the way of fish to go after!
You did just step in to one or the wettest areas around. Good luck with your fishing!
Roger
ExBassGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:39 PM   #6
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Thanks everyone.

One of the things I am finding interesting is that there are a range of options to the north of Corvallis. I am not accustomed to thinking "north" for bass fishing, because in Colorado the further north you go the worse it gets. Wyoming would be a horrible place to be for a devoted bass angler. Great trout fishing though.

My thing is fishing big baits for big bass. I got started on that about 1995 or so. I was at a lake near Loveland and watched a bass that would have been a real threat to the Colorado state record eat a trout. I had been watching the trout taking emerging chironomids for like half an hour, and knew pretty well how big it was because it kept swimming near the boat. The trout was about 18 inches. Not huge, but not small either. We were fishing with tube jigs on six pound line, hauling water.

I always relate it to those times you happen to glance over in time to see someone fall off their bike, or a car crash happen, but I looked up at the exact moment this giant bass shaped like a bag of cement t-boned the trout. It grabbed it like a dog with a bone, and just bit down and crushed it. The trout never saw it coming. The bass spit it out a little, turned it headfirst, and engulfed it in three long chews. The tail of the trout was sticking out a little as the bass slowly turned and swam back into deep water. I pretty much felt like I had been hit in the head with a pipe. The next day I went and picked up two of the original Castaic trout and began learning what the big bait thing was about.

Over the years, I started changing the bill, or re-weighting them, or painting them with nail polish or whatever. I realized at some point I could just make them from scratch, so I started doing that. These days I mostly fish my own baits, despite there being a lot of nice baits around. I just enjoy getting fish on stuff I made. As far as commercial baits go, my favorite is the Mattlures Hardgill. I like Mike Shaw's Slammers a lot too. Hudds of course, but the old school Castaic boot tail (6", fast sink) catches me a ton of fish. That bait is a total sleeper. So those baits, plus some I make, and jig/trailer combos are my favorites.

Thanks for those book recommendations RPF, I will look into them. Pete Heley has written a lot of useful information about bass and panfish, and I saw he has a book out as well.

I am just giddy at the size of the bass Oregon kicks out. I know a lot of folks will think "yeah, whatever, California..." but I am coming from a place where my best fish for the year any given year might be a six pounder. Some years I didn't break five. I got two eight pounders in 20 years of fishing Colorado. Those are EXTREMELY big bass for CO. I know of three ten pound or better bass that were VERIFIED as being DD's, and each one was a previous state record. Yeah, you hear a lot of "blah blah I caught a ten pounder blah blah" but I take those with a grain of salt. The fact that I have a real good chance to catch a nine pounder in Oregon has me buzzing. That there is an outside shot at a legit DD just adds to the excitement. Plus, the quality of the smallmouth in Oregon is WAY better than the smallies in Colorado. We have one lake in CO where you might catch a six pound smallie. Eight pound smallie? Nope. Sorry, ain't gonna happen. My current PB smallie is six and a half, so that will be tough to upgrade, but it is possible.

I will shut up now. lol

SS
Old 12-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #7
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Lots of smallmouth in the main Willamette from Eugene to Portland, but I don't think you will find any 8 pounders. The Columbia is also loaded with an incredible amount of SM, but I don't think you will find any state records. The state record is just a bit over 8 and is from Hagg Lake which also has big largemouth.

Do you have a canoe or kayak? There are some great itineraries here:

http://willamettewatertrail.org/itineraries/

One that I want to do next spring/summer on an overnight is from Harrisburg to Corvallis.

Here are maps for the upper stretch above Buena Vista...

http://willamette-riverkeeper.org/WT...ect/index.html

and for the lower stretch from Buena Vista to the Columbia...

http://willamette-riverkeeper.org/WT...jpgs/index.htm

Last edited by dirtman; 12-02-2014 at 02:37 PM.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM   #8
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Good suggestions! Thanks for those links. You guys are great, very welcoming.

Yeah, I don't expect to catch any eight pound smallmouth. I would be over the moon to better my PB, which has been unchanged for four years now at six and a half. Eight pound smallies are just stupid big. No, I was more alluding to the fact that one has even turned up in Oregon.

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #9
Fisherman_Shane
Tuna!

Welcome to Oregon!

Look into the Umpqua river in the summer, lots of hard fighting smallies.

Got these two LMB not too far south of Corvallis this past February on swimbaits.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Neat! Thanks for the motivation.

I have been working my way through all 300 pages of this board, and noticed you popped up a fair bit.

I started fishing the swimbaits before many people outside SoCal had realized bass will eat stockers anywhere there are stockers... It is hard to say with any certainty, but I think I was one of the very first people in my state to spend most of their time with big baits. Even now, I am sure there are less than two dozen dedicated, full-time big baiters in Colorado, and I think I know most of them.

I am sad/happy to see more folks using swimbaits. One thing that makes it a lot easier though is the number of people that spend actual real time fishing them is very low compared to the number of people that buy them to pet them or put them on a shelf under glass. I have picked up may a bait over the years from folks who bought them with the best intentions, but could not bring themselves to commit to the big bait thing.

We will have to talk a little shop. You are friends with Colby Person, right? He fishes them a fair bit too I gather.
Old 12-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #11
Doug Warren
Tuna!

Welcome to Oregon
Doug Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #12
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Thanks! You guys are great.
Old 12-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #13
dirtman
Ifish Nate

Since you are a fan of big lures for bass, have you ever tried one of the mermaid lures?...

or a Barbie Doll lure...

Add some pink glitter or tasel to those lures and they would irresistible to big bass.
dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

HA! I'm way more than a little cracked humor wise, that looks like something I would do.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #15
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Come fish in Washington!! We have some great tiger muskie spots in southwest Washington; some great channel catfish spots; panfish; walleye; bass!!!!
Stacie L. Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 02:22 PM   #16
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Oh believe me, I am looking forward to it.

bassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassbassba ss!!!

Tigers are cool too. Y'all got any wipers for me up there?
Old 12-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #17
Stacie L. Kelsey
Chromer

Not in southwest Washington!
Stacie L. Kelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:13 PM   #18
BassDood
Steelhead

Welcome! Coming from So Cal myself, I think we have way more options in the Great NW for bass fishing...and quality fish.
BassDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
joe_camo
King Salmon

I would suggest getting into some of the local fishing like salmon and Steel head. Bass fishing is kind of slim around the NW but we are known for great Salmonid fishing. Try Sturgeon as well.
joe_camo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:53 PM   #20
Shaun Solomon
Steelhead

Not sure where you are coming from with that, but it strikes me as disingenuous. There are tons of opportunities for a bass angler.

I am an avid fly fisherman, and grew up surf fishing the Gulf Coast. I am sure as heck going to chase any and all species I have access to in Oregon and the nearby states, you need not worry on my behalf. I am tickled as can be to be able to go catch surf perch, let alone sturgeon.

Cheers!

SS