OBPC All Species Challenge - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 09-28-2014, 08:02 AM   #1
Tim Dugan
Cutthroat

Default OBPC All Species Challenge

The Oregon Bass and Panfish Club all species challenge was held yesterday, Sept 27th. Their were about 8 to 10 teams fishing near Scappoose Bay Marina, under great weather conditions.
The team winner was team "Smoker Craft Stogies", which consisted of captain Jim Liddell, king fisher Rich Tomblsen, and Tim Dugan. Do you think I would have written this if we lost? We caught 7 of the 10 species we were trying to catch.
It was a real fun day for all!!

Tim Dugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 PM   #2
gbsmallie
Chromer

Default Re: OBPC All Species Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dugan View Post
The Oregon Bass and Panfish Club all species challenge was held yesterday, Sept 27th. Their were about 8 to 10 teams fishing near Scappoose Bay Marina, under great weather conditions.
The team winner was team "Smoker Craft Stogies", which consisted of captain Jim Liddell, king fisher Rich Tomblsen, and Tim Dugan. Do you think I would have written this if we lost? We caught 7 of the 10 species we were trying to catch.
It was a real fun day for all!!
This thread is worthless without pics! Of all 7 species! Sounds fun
gbsmallie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #3
quackersnacker
Tuna!

Yea, I'd love to see pics of the specimens. I know that's how you keep the tally since it is a CnR tourney. Right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
bucketmouth
Tuna!

There are 10 warm water species each team tries to catch.

Largemouth Bass
Smallmouth Bass
Black Crappie
White Crappie
Bullhead catfish
Channel catfish
Walleye
Perch
Blue gill
pumpkinseed sunfish

There were 9 teams of two, or three anglers per team.

Although the weather was conducive to good fishing the bite was nonetheless pretty slow. The water was off color due to recent rains. For a team to come in with 7 of the 10 species was a pretty good feat.

None of the fish caught by the winning team were of any size. But that does not matter, as the goal is to catch as many species as possible. Since each team is busy trying to get as many species as they can within the allotted time, the team members are not particularly worried about their size. Therefore there was not a lot of picture taking going on.

Except for the Walleye, the biggest fish the winning team turned in was 9 1/2 inches long. Not exactly picture quality type of fish.

"Codeman" might be able to appreciate this, all 7 species that the winning team brought in were caught within kayak paddling distance from the launch.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
codeman
Tuna!

Ive been meaning to join the club for years now, always just space it. Hearing about this tournament, has galvanized me to get it done. I would have loved to fish in this tournament yesterday. Next year, I will be in it for sure I doubt I would have been able to beat that total of 7. I rarely catch smb, and havent had a whole lot of luck catching crappie this year. So, 7 is prob the number I would have caught too. Why no love for the warmouth? Or the green sunfish ? Great report, and I really need to join the club

Last edited by codeman; 09-28-2014 at 06:12 PM.
codeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
codeman
Tuna!

so, were there any walleye caught ? Were the teams limited to the bay, or could you go out to the rivers and surrounding sloughs? I have caught thousands of fish in the bay, and only one walleye.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
RandallPinkFloyd
Chromer

I could have competed if they added peamouth and pikeminnows.....
Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #8
uplandsandpiper
Ifish Nate

That is awesome! Sounds like a good time.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #9
codeman
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallPinkFloyd View Post
I could have competed if they added peamouth and pikeminnows.....
RIGHT?!! If they included all the rough fish.....you could just about double that seven fish total...... wonder why they lump all three species of bullhead cats into one fish total......
Old 09-29-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
rollcast
Ifish Nate

That sounds like a really fun event!

I feel like there is a good joke about celebrating diversity in there but I just can't pull it together

skunk is a fly, not an event
rollcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #11
dirtman
Ifish Nate

If the biggest fish at 9 1/2 inches was the Pumpkinseed, that would be right around the state record of 7.68 ounces.
dirtman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #12
bucketmouth
Tuna!

Dirtman, You're right, that would have been a state record. But the 9 & 1/2 incher was a largemouth bass.

There were several walleye caught during the tournament. The largest was along the order of about 24 inches, but it was caught by a team that brought in only a few species.

The tournament is held each September and is limited to the Multnomah channel area only. In past years the blast off has been from the Gilbert river launch, but this year they launched from Scappose Bay Marina.

The 10 species were selected by the board of directors and have been set at that number for many years. Although there are brown, yellow and black bullhead, they were lumped together as bullhead only. Probably because brown bullhead is by far the most common and it would be rare to see all three caught at this event. The idea is to make the event fun not difficult. And believe me, it is a hoot. There was a great BBQ at the end of the event and lots of stories shared.

Other events held by the club are local venues up and down the Willamette and Columbia rivers, Hagg Lake and so on. More emphasis is placed on size in those events than this "All Specie tournament". That is part of why this tournament is so much fun.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
codeman
Tuna!

Ya I definately need to join and stop draggin my feet Do you have any links or whatever ? What would be the easiest way for me to join? also, was this tournament limited to teams in a power boat or could I have entered solo from my yak ?
Old 09-30-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
bucketmouth
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman View Post
Ya I definately need to join and stop draggin my feet Do you have any links or whatever ? What would be the easiest way for me to join? also, was this tournament limited to teams in a power boat or could I have entered solo from my yak ?

Going solo from your yak is probably ok. Might have to check with contest director about that but this tournament is so casual that I doubt that it would be a problem.

pm sent
Old 10-03-2014, 06:46 AM   #15
Tim Dugan
Cutthroat

Quote:
so, were there any walleye caught ? Were the teams limited to the bay, or could you go out to the rivers and surrounding sloughs? I have caught thousands of fish in the bay, and only one walleye.
The walleye was caught right at the marina. The teams could go to the bay or the channel.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
Tim Dugan
Cutthroat

Quote:
Ive been meaning to join the club for years now, always just space it. Hearing about this tournament, has galvanized me to get it done. I would have loved to fish in this tournament yesterday. Next year, I will be in it for sure I doubt I would have been able to beat that total of 7. I rarely catch smb, and havent had a whole lot of luck catching crappie this year. So, 7 is prob the number I would have caught too. Why no love for the warmouth? Or the green sunfish ? Great report, and I really need to join the club
OBPC meets every 4th Thursday of the month, you are welcome. I will post later this month were, when etc.
Thanks for the interest.
Oh yea, this month is a special on walleye.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 AM   #17
Tim Dugan
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackersnacker View Post
Yea, I'd love to see pics of the specimens. I know that's how you keep the tally since it is a CnR tourney. Right.
Most fish were small, not very good for photos. All fish were brought back in our live wells, measured and released back to the river.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
Tim Dugan
Cutthroat

Quote:
You can take a look at our web site, Oregon Bass and Panfish Club, get the info there, or simply come to one of or meetings, they are free, open to the public, everyone is welcome. The meetings are always the 4th Thursday of the month. Later this month I will post the time, place etc.
About the yak, I am not sure, I will have to check on this question.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:59 AM   #19
quackersnacker
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Dugan View Post
Most fish were small, not very good for photos. All fish were brought back in our live wells, measured and released back to the river.
Ah... cool.
I speak with the guys in the booth each year at the sportsmans show, but have never got around to joining. Sounds like a fun "tourney" to participate in.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
Tim Dugan
Cutthroat

Quote:
You can go to our web site, print off the application and send it in , that easy.
Any thing that floats is a boat, solo yak is ok.