Garmin Sale @ Sportsman’s - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-19-2019, 09:11 AM   #1
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Garmin Sale @ Sportsman’s

Wondering if the prices are really that good for a handheld. Thinking it might be a good idea for an old guy to carry one when out in the boonies.

InReach Explorer + Satellite Communicator w/maps, $374. Any suggestions are welcome.

DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
IdahoBeav
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Garmin Sale @ Sportsman’s

FYI, from the Cabela's Black Friday Sale ad:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 09:43 AM   #3
dla
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Wondering if the prices are really that good for a handheld. Thinking it might be a good idea for an old guy to carry one when out in the boonies.

InReach Explorer + Satellite Communicator w/maps, $374. Any suggestions are welcome.
Well I'm a 11 year SPOT user, so yes I think you should be carrying something.
If you just want to keep the family in the loop, leave an electronic trail so SAR can find you, and call out the cavalry when in trouble - SPOT Gen 3 $150 hardware, $200/yr subscription. Just grab it and go.

For 2-way communication, the Garmin Inreach Mini - $350 hardware, $144/yr cheapest plan. You can save a little money going month to month if you know tbere are going to be months when you're not going anywhere.
The mini shines only if you pair it with your cellphone.

The ultimate is the Garmin 66i - $600 hardware, same plans as the Mini.

When my SPOT subscription expires in July, I intend to go with the Mini.
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 10:06 AM   #4
Capt MoMos
Steelhead

OnX.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #5
elkhuntinfool
Steelhead

Costco has the Garmin In Reach SE+ for $289.95. I picked mine up a little over a year ago when they were on sale for $219.95
They are great to let the family no you are alright when out of cell service areas.
elkhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #6
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

The GPS posted in the ad I have/had. I used it one season and has now crapped out on me. I have tried all the fixes mentioned online. Super dissappointed. I would not recommend this model for sure. Also I have been using the ONX and like it ALOT better. Worth it and cheaper than a GPS
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #7
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
The GPS posted in the ad I have/had. I used it one season and has now crapped out on me. I have tried all the fixes mentioned online. Super dissappointed. I would not recommend this model for sure. Also I have been using the ONX and like it ALOT better. Worth it and cheaper than a GPS

OnX is different than the Garmin inReach devices. The inReach devices, along with GPS, allow you to communicate with others. I carry one when I'm backpacking and it allows me to check in at home and assure my wife that I'm still alive.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:42 PM   #8
dla
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dla View Post
Well I'm a 11 year SPOT user, so yes I think you should be carrying something.
If you just want to keep the family in the loop, leave an electronic trail so SAR can find you, and call out the cavalry when in trouble - SPOT Gen 3 $150 hardware, $200/yr subscription. Just grab it and go.

For 2-way communication, the Garmin Inreach Mini - $350 hardware, $144/yr cheapest plan. You can save a little money going month to month if you know tbere are going to be months when you're not going anywhere.
The mini shines only if you pair it with your cellphone.

The ultimate is the Garmin 66i - $600 hardware, same plans as the Mini.

When my SPOT subscription expires in July, I intend to go with the Mini.
The mini is on sale for $275 at REI and possibly Sportsmans.
Old 11-19-2019, 01:41 PM   #9
444Marlin
Tuna!

I've been through enough warranty issues on Garmin Rinos that I've almost given up on them. I started using OnX this past year and I'm pretty happy with it. The only thing that I think the Rino has gong for it is being able to see where your buddies are WHEN it works. I'm hopeful that OnX comes up with an offline solution to see where your buds are and have 2-way communication. However, as I'm hunting more on solo trips and off the grid, I'm looking at getting the inReach to pair with my phone, and to have the emergency beacon function.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 01:59 PM   #10
DogZilla15
King Salmon

This all comes about because when I hurt my leg back in August, I had this sense of dread, where would I be if this happened 5 miles from the truck while chukar hunting? I’d be recovered days later, not rescued in a few hours.

I know nothing about handheld units and all their features. Based on what all of you say about OnX, that’s a must have. The other must have is the ability to contact the outside world if I get injured. A map would be kinda nice sometimes. The rest I don’t have an opinion one way or the other. Don’t want bells and whistles I’ll never use.
Old 11-19-2019, 02:19 PM   #11
LongBeard2010
Steelhead

You could get a personal locator beacon. It won’t communicate to the wifey but it will send out a signal of your location to search and rescue once sh***t hits the fan and you activate it. I have a Acr Artex ResQlink. I think it is warrantied to last 5 years and cost about $280. No annual fees.
LongBeard2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
Cadiaz
Coho

I purchased the inreach mini this year and worked great. The one thing I enjoyed is when I sent a message to the misses it also sends a location pin so she knows where I am at. The other part I liked is I can use the earthmate app on my iphone to send those messages rather than the mini itself.
Cadiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
elkhuntinfool
Steelhead

I have been using my In reach mini for two years now. No problems whatso ever. I have had one Rhino crap out on me. I still think they are the best out there. I Use ONX MAPS on my Rhino and phone. I carry the Rhino and in reach in the field, phones are to expensive to loose.
elkhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I am not going to carry a phone and a GPS. I don’t carry a phone now, not going to start.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #15
Bill Rogue V.
King Salmon

Harvey, thanks for starting this thread, as I am in the same sort of place that you are regarding wandering around all by my aging baby boomer lonesome. I do carry a cell phone, but of course the signal gets pretty sketchy in the remoter places. Everyone down here raves about the ONX map system, which I believe works with your phone. Pretty affordable compared to buying a full-on GPS unit.

onxmaps
Old 11-20-2019, 08:11 AM   #16
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Thanks Bill. I was wondering about that. I want something that works everywhere so is cell service mandatory for OnX?

Ya know, I should ask all these questions at the sales counter but I trust Ifishers more than I trust a sales person.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #17
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Thanks Bill. I was wondering about that. I want something that works everywhere so is cell service mandatory for OnX?

Ya know, I should ask all these questions at the sales counter but I trust Ifishers more than I trust a sales person.
With OnX you can download areas before you go into the field so you can use them without cell service
Old 11-20-2019, 10:37 AM   #18
Herm
Ifish Nate

No reason for handheld devices anymore.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:25 PM   #19
Capt MoMos
Steelhead

As long as you download the area ahead of time, OnX will always work. Out of all the hunting equipment I’ve purchased, OnX is by far the most indispensable. My Garmin is a thing of the past.
Old 11-20-2019, 08:15 PM   #20
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

I have an older in reach satellite phone I pack, it has saved me a couple times. I also have a Garmin GPS. Now that the two are combined I’m inclined to get one
Hydrophilic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:56 AM   #21
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I am not going to carry a phone and a GPS. I don’t carry a phone now, not going to start.
You are going to have to carry a phone next year. Only way to have your license with you next year. I would just go with ONx. Download the map of the area you will be in then there is no need for cell service or data. Put it in airplane mode and off you go.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:17 AM   #22
fishinpox
Ifish Nate

If you just need mapping, then OnX is the way to go. If you need something that you can also communicate with others than the inReach is the way to go.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #23
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Chukardave. That isn’t set in stone. Don’t think it’ll happen.

Looks like I have a ton of research to do before next fall. No quick decision here.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #24
piscean
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinpox View Post
If you just need mapping, then OnX is the way to go. If you need something that you can also communicate with others than the inReach is the way to go.
That is the only advantage of those handheld units..talk/text. Besides that whatever you need in terms of mapping associated with hunting, everything is doable with ONX.
Infact the new upgrade is so kool that you can take a pic of spot you hunt or you think can be productive...and attach to your waypoint with whatever description. CAN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT. It has helped us lot this season

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
piscean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #25
OSUsmokey
Coho

Question for the Inreach guys...Can I just activate a subscription for the month or two that I know I will be out hunting? Do they charge you service fees for activation/deactivation of the satellite service?
OSUsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #26
kigercreek
Tuna!

Location: Land of Sage and Juniper, but sometimes in the Banana Belt by the Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUsmokey View Post
Question for the Inreach guys...Can I just activate a subscription for the month or two that I know I will be out hunting? Do they charge you service fees for activation/deactivation of the satellite service?
I subscribe for the month of archery season every year, then deactivate the subscription. I believe there is a $25 annual fee in doing this, but no other activation/deactivation fee.

I will note that the two of us in camp with the inReach this year were finding long lag times in receiving messages from cell phones, ONLY IF there was a delay in the other person answering, then the message from them may not come through until another message was sent to them from the inReach, then several messages may come through at once. Since both of us in camp were experiencing the same issue, I don't think it was the device itself. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Nonetheless, I do really like the device.

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun"
kigercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:20 PM   #27
Cadiaz
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by kigercreek View Post
I subscribe for the month of archery season every year, then deactivate the subscription. I believe there is a $25 annual fee in doing this, but no other activation/deactivation fee.

I will note that the two of us in camp with the inReach this year were finding long lag times in receiving messages from cell phones, ONLY IF there was a delay in the other person answering, then the message from them may not come through until another message was sent to them from the inReach, then several messages may come through at once. Since both of us in camp were experiencing the same issue, I don't think it was the device itself. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this. Nonetheless, I do really like the device.
Kigercreek the only time I had issues like that is if I didn't have a clear view of the sky. If I was in dark timber it took longer for messages to send.

For the people talking about onx and inreach mini they are two different things. Onx is awesome for maps of the area and thats what I use in the field. The inreach mini is simply a device for emergencies and messaging family letting them know all is good. My reason for purchasing the mini is I hunt alone quite a bit. Having the means to call for help in an emergency was a must have.
Cadiaz is offline   Reply With Quote