Anchor rope size - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Boat and Motor Tech

Old 09-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #1
FowlHooked
Steelhead

Default Anchor rope size

I have 125' of rope 6' of chain and a 22# anchor on my 20' Thunderjet. I do not anchor fish but would like to get into sturgeon and also felt my setup was not adequate for emergency anchoring.

I went down to fisherman's for coated chain and 300' of rope. They suggested 3/8 rope rated at #2500 and only had 4-5' lengths of coated chain. I was hoping for 8-10' of chain

My question is is the 3/8 sufficient for a 20' boat? I would assume so since the quick link is only rated at #1800. Also are there other options for coated chain? Possibly a chain cover to save the bow of my boat, I have seen some fire hose type material but was concerned about trapping salt water.

FowlHooked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #2
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Default Re: Anchor rope size

I have a 300ft setup of 3/8 line on my sturgeon anchor. Never had a problem. The 1/2in x 150ft for my salmon hogline setup has alot more drag in the current. It is slightly easier on your hands but I am considering changing to 3/8in because of the drag. In other words, don't hesitate to go with the 3/8in.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Head to the big box stores and buy a few feet of irrigation hose - by the foot. Makes a durable chain cover.
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2019, 09:45 AM   #4
LGB
Tuna!

I would say 3/8 Braided rope will do the job. For the fast moving water of the Columbia (or in emergency stalled engine or bad weather anchoring) I would want at least 10' of fairly heavy chain. The chain does two things. First it keeps the anchor laying on is't side so it can dig in better. Second it acts as a shock absorber which prevents the anchor from pulling out if the boat is buffeted by current, waves (boat wakes), or swells.

The Coast Guard recommends at least a 7 to 1 road for anchoring on the Columbia and in faster areas as much as 10 to 1. That means 7 to 10 feet of anchor rope out for every foot of water depth. Some areas of the Columbia I have fished are 100 feet deep; a little hard to have a 7 to 1 anchor line. Before anyone jumps all over this I know people get away with less but are they really safe.

I would also recommend getting one of the anchor lift systems. Pulling an anchor in heavy current is both difficult and in some cases dangerous. Keep your prop away from the anchor line (and other boats anchor lines). If you prop is fouled in an anchor line it can actually end up sinking your boat. It happens every year.

Have a strong sharp serrated knife readily available to cut the anchor line if an emergency arrises. Don't use poly rope that floats.

Boat US has some great articles on boat anchoring. Google: Boatus on anchoring
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #5
konaaahbend
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Head to the big box stores and buy a few feet of irrigation hose - by the foot. Makes a durable chain cover.
Didn’t think of that, awesome idea!
konaaahbend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 PM   #6
Rocky
Chromer

I use bicycle inner tube to cover my chain. Got the tip from here I think. Go to any cycle shop and they will probably be glad to give you some. I got a smaller size to go over the chain then one to go over that. Very flexible too.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:01 PM   #7
HuskyKMA
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlHooked View Post
I have 125' of rope 6' of chain and a 22# anchor on my 20' Thunderjet. I do not anchor fish but would like to get into sturgeon and also felt my setup was not adequate for emergency anchoring.

I went down to fisherman's for coated chain and 300' of rope. They suggested 3/8 rope rated at #2500 and only had 4-5' lengths of coated chain. I was hoping for 8-10' of chain

My question is is the 3/8 sufficient for a 20' boat? I would assume so since the quick link is only rated at #1800. Also are there other options for coated chain? Possibly a chain cover to save the bow of my boat, I have seen some fire hose type material but was concerned about trapping salt water.
3/8" is fine, but...

Get 1/2" and your hands will thank you!!!
Old 10-02-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
jklingel
Fry

hewescraft 22' ocean pro. i am having a winch installed, and the installer is roping with 5/16". i think material needs to be factored as well as diameter. cheers. john
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
socket985
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FowlHooked View Post

I have a 21' TJ and have anchored in the shallow (25 ft) and deeper (75 ft) water on the lower Columbia for sturgeon and spring chinook. I was concerned about swamping my boat due to anchor inexperience & horror stories I've read from using the boat to pull the setup.

I found the lighter anchor with 3/8 rope and 12 ft of chain never slipped, and allowed me to hand pull it with ease. I have the Columbia river setup with the large A2 float?
socket985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Chad D.
Chromer

I vote for the smaller diameter rope, if the following apply:

1) You find rope that is rated plenty stout for your needs. Don’t just run to the HD and buy the cheapest rope you can get to save $30. Invest in the appropriate material. It will make a difference, and the longer life of it will make it more cost effective in the long run.

2) You use an anchor pulling system at least 80% of the time. A fella can manage with the small rope being less comfortable on the hands if he only does it once in a blue moon. As long as the pulled you have is sized appropriately, it won’t care about the size being too small.

Smaller rope takes less space, and has less influence on the anchor due to current.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 10:17 AM   #11
Bigjer40
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
Do you zip tie the hose on the chain?

Also wondering if you use 3/8 line does everyone use 3/8 chain or is that less important since its on the bottom?
Bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:43 PM   #12
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjer40 View Post
Do you zip tie the hose on the chain?

Also wondering if you use 3/8 line does everyone use 3/8 chain or is that less important since its on the bottom?
I run a zip tie through the hose and through the chain rather than just wrap the tie around the outside. I run about 10' of 7/16 heavy duty chain. The stuff is about as thick as my little finger and heavy so it works like a shock absorber keeping the anchor set.
Old 10-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #13
Bigjer40
Coho

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #14
ccw
King Salmon

I fish solo a lot. 20’ Thunderjet in the Lower Columbia in current that requires up to 24 oz of lead to keep a simple wobbler on the bottom in depths 35-65’. The bottom is mostly sand but there’s some hard pan in a couple Kalama spots I Regularly fish. The fault of many rocker anchors is their tines are too skinny and drag easily.

I like the 1/2” anchor rope. It’s not uncommon for me to drop and pull anchor 3+ times during a Tide, especially during the heart of the season and I’m the first one there in the dark and am trying to drop exactly In The right spot (and establish the hogline for the day). Sometimes it’s three -four pulls in the course of 30 minutes if my initial aim is off or the current is incoming in the dark and rain. Skinny ropes are strong enough, but they’re harder to pull and they’re much harder to un-knot — which screws up its ability to pass through most anchor pullers.

I have a heavy 8’ length of chain that sits unused in a bucket in the garage. I haven’t haven’t needed that in almost 20 years since I switched away from the popular rocker-style anchor to the much better Bruce type design.

It’s the design of the anchor that determines its holding ability. Increased weight mainly serves to tire out whoever is pulling it, making everything more dangerous with each pull. The chain mainly serves to mar up your bow and drag more gunk Into your boat & scratch feet, legs and diamond plate. If I was anchoring in a bay in Puget sound for overnight or several consecutive days with barnacle rocks below, I could see using a chain; no need in the Columbia River.

I might have 220’ of rope. I rarely use it all. No one that has their game on uses 350’ of rope at the mouths of the Lewis, Kalama or Cowlitz to hold in 50’ of water. If they do they hear about it from the neighboring boats because it takes up so much real estate and blocks others from fishing above you or requires you to block in other fishermen, restricting their egress out into the channel to fight a large fish when they release from anchor. Don’t be the guy whose anchor is so whimpy you can’t fish effectively, courteously and safely around others. You will not be welcome back there. In competitive anchor fishing with lots of congestion (late August-Sept in the better anchoring places) the goal should be to not slip back, to reduce your footprint, and manage it all quickly and easily.

The more anchor line you have out, the more trollers will snag your line, lose lures, and tell you their dissatisfaction. Also, the hogline that anchors above you will drop reasonably high enough to keep their gear out of proper anchor lines. If yours is the LONG one that goes way up under their boats, when you go to pull it, you get to come right up behind or through them to get your stuff back. They may have to pull their gear to accommodate your inadequate set up. Not a way to make friends! You will hear about it for days afterwards and or they’ll pull hogline maneuver tricks to exclude your access next time.

My anchor is 15 kg (33 lbs). It is way overkill for my current boat. It was just right for my previous, larger and heavier boat. My friends with similar boats get by fine with a 10 kg version (22 lbs.). I use a 7.5 kg version as a stern anchor.

Use a large enough ball to pull it, not a dinky volleyball sized puller that submerges as you pull it. You (and boaters around you) need to see and know where your stuff is in relation to theirs.

CW

(from Ulysses - Tennyson, 1833)
ccw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
positize
Sturgeon

CCW's is a fantastic post. I wish more people would read it, especially the part about anchor type and the (lack of) need for anchor chain. For folks that know their stuff, have actually tried various combinations for years, the chain is merely a way to ding up your boat. Buy the right anchor for the places you fish and size of your boat, toss the chain.
Old 11-25-2019, 06:13 AM   #16
Bigjer40
Coho

Thanks CCW