Lets start this glittery boat in low gear - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 07-12-2001, 10:24 AM   #1
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Default Lets start this glittery boat in low gear

I read a post about a Senko rubber worm and found it interesting right up to the point where it said to rig it Texas style. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

This board is less than a day old in the NW states of America. Lets start with the basics. I have heard those boys on Sunday TV talking about Texas rig, Carolina rig, etc... and I dont know the diffence between that and Jury rig.

How about starting with getting us all on the same lingo, and some description of the rigs. I once owned a rig that needed worked on all the time. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Now what is a panfish and where would I find it,.... the water??? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2001, 10:28 AM   #2
steelhead_fishn
Steelhead

Default Re: Lets start this glittery boat in low gear

I was going to try to explain the texas rig, but I think this picture will demonstrate it more clearly. I will try to find pictures of other handy rigs like carolina...
Texas Rig

Jeff
steelhead_fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 10:30 AM   #3
Jellyhead
Chromer

OK, BOE, I'll explain these rigging styles in a new post above. I get kinda excited and start rambling all my bass vocabulary and forget that ya'll are not all on the same page I am.

Check out my new post.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2001, 10:52 AM   #4
Grits

Carolina Rig

This is link has an ok picture of a Carolina rig. I fish a texas Rig the way Jellyhead already talked about but with a Carolina rig I concentrate on making it drag across the bottom really slowly.

Dont feel bad BOE there are a lot of bass fisherman who don't know how to distinguish a Carolina from a Texas rig.

I don't know how basic we should get but just in case somebody doesn't know the hooks you use for these setups are a special hook that have a post off of the eye to thread the worm onto it.

[ 07-12-2001: Message edited by: Grits ]
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 11:40 AM   #5
Tanner
Sturgeon

Alot of guys here use slinkies for the weight on their Carolina rigs. This works great when fishing snaggy structure.
Old 07-12-2001, 01:14 PM   #6
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Thanks for the clarification of the styles, I guess I have learned something new for the day.

They look like the same set up except the carolina style adds a swivel pushing the weight up the line. I have fished the carolina style for trout several times and didnt even know it was called that.

Now for a couple more questions. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

1. The texas style looks about the same to me as a lead headed jig. The sliding weight is up tight to the hook. What is the advantage to using a texas style rigging over just using a lead headed jig. Both would have the weight at or near the same point on the line. I cannot imagine casting a texas style and ever getting the weight to move away from the hook.

B. Does it matter if you use a egg type sinker (round on both ends) or a bullet type sinker as in the diagram. They both would slide down to the same point. Am I splitting hairs here?

3. Why are you trying to hold the hook point inside of the worm? Are you trying to keep it from getting tangled in the weeds? I am always thinking, get a hook point turned out so it will grab some lip.

D. Thats all for now, thanks. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-12-2001, 01:19 PM   #7
steelhead_fishn
Steelhead

A.I dont worry about the weight leaving the head of the hook, in fact I use a brass bullett weight because I think it can glint in the sunglight and attract fish. I also put a bead underneath my bullet weight to a. protect my knot, and b.it makes a little clack clack sound underwater as the worm bounces around.

B. I've always just used small brass bullet's

C. The hook goes into the worm to keep it weedless and snag free. With the hookpoint buried you are able to drop your rig into heavy cover, wether it be thick tree's or brush or milfoil. You need to leave a very small amount of slack in the worm when you poke it through so the fish can bite down a bit though and not be deflected by a tight worm.
steelhead_fishn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 01:34 PM   #8
Jellyhead
Chromer

Yeah, what he said!!! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Also the only reason you wouldn't want to use a jig head is because of thick weeds. A bullet sinker is tapered and gets through thick weeds easily. An egg sinker is almost too blunt to get through thick stuff.

You proably wouldn't belive the stuff I've caught bass out of. The thickest nastiest weeds, and the tightest tangled submerged willow bushes, but that's where they live, so you gotta fish it. Spool up some 20# line and get a bowl of salad with you're meat!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Have fun, lots of good stuff on this board today!!

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2001, 01:50 PM   #9
Grits

I think the reason you use a sliding weight as opposed to a lead head jig is when the fish picks up the worm it won't feel the weight immediately.

The other point about why you leave the hook buried in the worm the other two posts covered the weedless point but BOE concern about hook turned out to "grab some lip" is a common concern with people new to fishing plastics for bass. It is important to use the proper rod to fish plastics. You need a rod that has a lot of spine and fish a heavy line that way you can set the hook like you would on a gator. When fishing plastics you will often see the line moving sideways that is when I reel down to the water and rip those lips. The force of setting the hook rips the hook through the worm and will into the basses lips.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2001, 10:27 AM   #10
THE REEL HEY_YALL

Roy, do I have to setup a clinic for you? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Let me know when you can find us a glittery boat. The more glitter on the boat = more money to buy it, and it catches more fish too [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]
THE REEL HEY_YALL is offline   Reply With Quote