Bass on a fly rod - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-23-2011, 07:41 PM   #1
ifisherman
Steelhead

Default Bass on a fly rod

Anyone out there bass fishing with a fly rod around Portland? If so care to share some stories, tips, secrets. Just looking to see if there are others that are chasing the smallies with a fly around town?

ifisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Wreckless
King Salmon

Default Re: Bass on a fly rod

We've done well in the past, at Hagg, using Carey Specials.

"Today's the day"......Mel Fisher
Wreckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

I chase or have chased just about everything that swims around here with a flyrod - including bass.

If you want some stellar, make your heart jump into your throat fishing - surface bugs/poppers is where it's at. Even a little bass will explode on a surface bug.

Streamer flies work well when you can't enticea fish to hit a surface bug. I'm partial to woolly buggers first off - but I've tied up some extra long tailed rabbit strip buggers to try this year, to imitate a bit more closely the 4" soft plastic worms a lot of guys use...can't wait to try them!
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #4
ifisherman
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwerx View Post
I chase or have chased just about everything that swims around here with a flyrod - including bass.

If you want some stellar, make your heart jump into your throat fishing - surface bugs/poppers is where it's at. Even a little bass will explode on a surface bug.

Streamer flies work well when you can't enticea fish to hit a surface bug. I'm partial to woolly buggers first off - but I've tied up some extra long tailed rabbit strip buggers to try this year, to imitate a bit more closely the 4" soft plastic worms a lot of guys use...can't wait to try them!

I have done ok with sub surface flies but have yet to get a fish on a popper out of the willy. What are some tips on best times and places to fish poppers? I am still trying to get a fix on decent water conditions/times of day/places/tidal issues here around town. Basically getting a fix on everything. I have caught a couple fish and learned quick that a slow presentation helps a lot. I am still searching for good spots on foot a little away from the crowd(I know, probably impossible around Portland).
ifisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
Hunt'nFish
King Salmon

Bass on the fly is one of my goals for this year.

Mark, I would appreciate it if you posted a vid of how you tie up your bunny bugger.
In fact any pics of your favorite patterns would help me.
I'm not much of a fly tier but figure if I can tie up steelhead jigs, I should be able to tie up some basic bass patterns.
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM   #6
kill2hunt
Tuna!

sorry if this is a little off track and totally not trying to hijack the thread. but i am down here in socal and we fish some of the most popular and pressured lakes for monster size largemouth as well as smallies. my good friend from new hampshire is a die hard fly guy who has gotten me addicted to fly fishing for bass. we have caught some really big fish including a near 12 pounder last week. his father ties some amazing flies that he offers online and i have learned some really good tips as well. pm me if you would like, more than willing to share what i do know.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #7
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

RE: popper fishing

When I'm fishing lakes, and the water is clear and at least 60 degrees, a popper is one of the first flies I try for bass, starting in shallow water near shore, especially if there's structure or cover near-by. A single clump of grass can attract bass, so i'll toss a popper within a couple feet of said grass clump. Let the popper sit for a few seconds - until the ripples die down. Then just give the thing a little twitch, then let it sit. When the water gets intothe upper 60's, I'll start working them a bit more actively, less time between pauses, and throw in a more powerful twitch to throw more water with it.

I'll also fish poppers around pads, downed timber, or along a drop-off from shallow (2' or less) into deeper water.

Any time you see fish feeding on or near the surface it never hurts to fish a popper.

And Hunt'n'Fish - I'll see what I can do!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #8
salembassin
Steelhead

I fish for smallies on the Umpqua and largies in a high cascade lake with poppers with decent success. Still tryin to get a Willy smallmouth on a popper, no luck last summer, just a hungry pike minnow.
salembassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:10 PM   #9
kill2hunt
Tuna!

nothing beats a topwater hit from a bass! but........ i have found that a fly like a bunny leach or the such will stay in a fishes stike zone longer than say fishing plastics ecspecially if they arent right on the bottom. also come time if they chase shad where you fish you cant beat fishing them with fly gear.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:55 AM   #10
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Okay, per Hunt'n'Fish request - I made a video of this tie. The quality might not be the greatest, as this is my first video fly-tie. Next time I'm going to try to figure out how to rig the camera so it's stationary, allowing me to use both hands. Would've made it an easier, cleaner tie.

Enjoy

Olive Bunny Bugger Video

Last edited by mkwerx; 04-28-2011 at 03:57 AM. Reason: wouldn't let me embed the video...
mkwerx is offline   Reply With Quote