Smallies on the Willie near convention center? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-13-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
atanger
Fry

Default Smallies on the Willie near convention center?

1st time fishing smallies and the Northwest as I am coming from San Francisco. Looking at a map I plan on fishing the east side, from steel bridge to heading north since I'm staying near the convention center. I plan on taking the metro line and is it possible to walk along that part of the shoreline? Is that area rocky, sandy or both?

Any bits of info and/or advice is much appreciated.

atanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 02:31 PM   #2
Blacktailfiend
Steelhead

Default Re: Smallies on the Willie near convention center?

There's a dock on the east side of the river that I believe you can access by or off the burnside bridge that has good smallie fishing at times. Before they built the dock I always used to catch fish there out of the boat.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
R Jackson
Chromer

This link might help you out a little.

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...PropertyID=105

This is actually South of the Steel Bridge. You will probably find better access to the South. If you fish this area, be very aware of your surroundings. If you are staying near the Convention Center, I would just walk and not use MAX.
R Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
atanger
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jackson View Post
This link might help you out a little.

http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/...PropertyID=105

This is actually South of the Steel Bridge. You will probably find better access to the South. If you fish this area, be very aware of your surroundings. If you are staying near the Convention Center, I would just walk and not use MAX.

Thank you for the link, when you say "be aware" i'm assuming you're refering to the people who congregate in that area? I hope my big City experience has taught me well enough to evade trouble.

Looking at my AAA map, it appears the Eastbank Riverfront Park starts south of the Steel Bridge and proceeds down to Hawthorne blvd, question: can you someone confirm that the park has a "split/opening" around everett and starts up again around Burnside street?

I'm one of those people who have ADD and likes to keep hiking and casting. I plan on using 1/4 jigs w/ crawdad trailer, spinnerbaits and wacky rigging senkos, maybe a lipless. Can someone tell me if the banks have a steep dropoffs in those above mentioned areas?

Just went online to get my day license. Know I have to prepare myself for the longg drive-up, caffeine!
Old 04-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #5
R Jackson
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanger View Post
Thank you for the link, when you say "be aware" i'm assuming you're refering to the people who congregate in that area? I hope my big City experience has taught me well enough to evade trouble.

Yes. It's not Oakland, but keep your eyes open,

Looking at my AAA map, it appears the Eastbank Riverfront Park starts south of the Steel Bridge and proceeds down to Hawthorne blvd, question: can you someone confirm that the park has a "split/opening" around everett and starts up again around Burnside street?

You should look at it on Google Earth. There are stairs that will take you up to the Burnside Bridge.

I'm one of those people who have ADD and likes to keep hiking and casting. I plan on using 1/4 jigs w/ crawdad trailer, spinnerbaits and wacky rigging senkos, maybe a lipless. Can someone tell me if the banks have a steep dropoffs in those above mentioned areas?

I think you'll find a lot of rip rap along there. FYI, if it rains a lot raw sewage will overflow into the river. Wash yor hands well and/or use hand sanitizer.

Just went online to get my day license. Know I have to prepare myself for the longg drive-up, caffeine!
R Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
SpinGlo68
Chromer

With the water as high as it is you should have some luck in the shallows and flooded bankline.Im not sure of the water temp but i like using road runners , with this muddy water i would actually use a 3/8 spinnerbait,white ...there is largies out there too..! G/L
Old 04-14-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
soonerwolf
Steelhead

yeah the brown trout fishing should be good for the next few days. amazingly the weather channel 10 day forecast is showing sunshine from saturday on, but not much of a warm up, don't think I will hold my breath though.
soonerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
boblag
Chromer

Not sure what you mean by "split/opening." There are access points to the Esplande by the Steel Bridge, Morrison Bridge (assuming the spiral ramp re-opened), the Hawthorne Bridge, and OMSI. The Esplanade runs along the river from the Steel Bridge to OMSI and there are many places to hike down and fish. There is no access North of the Steel Bridge (it's private property, and the Esplanade goes over the Steel Brige to the West side at that point), but you can access the river again around the Broadway Bridge.

Last edited by boblag; 04-14-2011 at 04:39 PM.
boblag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #9
atanger
Fry

thank you all for your input, arrived here safely and looking forward to wetting my line. Really looking forward to hooking a smallie, from what I've read pound for pound they put up a good fight.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM   #10
QH's Paw
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by atanger View Post
thank you all for your input, arrived here safely and looking forward to wetting my line. Really looking forward to hooking a smallie, from what I've read pound for pound they put up a good fight.
You drove all the way from the Bay area just to fish for smallies in downtown P-town?
Just curious, because you drove by a ton of good water to get there, if you did.
Please tell me you are here for business anyway.
Not trying to make a dig on you but, I just didn't realize when you were posting yesterday what you might be implying.
Good luck with your adventure and post up the "Hero" shots with your fish.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #11
atanger
Fry

Just got back to home and wanted to report that I fished btwn the Steel and Burnside bridges along the esplanade this past weekend. i really thought with the sun being out this would elevate the activity, but i was wrong. Fished primarily along the bank and shallows using everything i had, worked it slow, fast and in btw no bites. met a couple fishing on the harbor and told me they caught a small sturgeon. The shallows right under the pilings look like prime fishing spots. Saw many items in the water (happy to say many people engage in activity safely).

Not to be discouragesd drove out Bethany fished the back where the very small dam is located to see if my luck would change. spoke to some people and most of them were going for trout, apparently the plant is due this week. fished about 2 hours went back to the hotel, no bites, no fish.

R Jackson: in regards to the people who hang around the steel bridge, they remind of the folks in the haight, one lady had some choice words for me but I really did not want to get involved because I was sprinting to catch the Max back to my hotel.

There is some good news, I was able to hook-up with a fellow member for springer fishing! We landed 2 (12&16), we had a 3rd at the boat but he had another agenda. Man it was cold out there on Friday, I could barely reel in the fish, my hands were frozen.

Thank you all for your input, I had a great time exploring the waters and the cart scene.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
boblag
Chromer

Too bad we've been having this weird weather. Usually it would've been great fishing there by now.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #13
atanger
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by boblag View Post
Too bad we've been having this weird weather. Usually it would've been great fishing there by now.
When I got there I was really excited to see the terrain and how protected the areas looked, I'll be back.