Cowlitz River - September/October - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Open Seats!

Old 09-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #1
The Fall Guy
Coho

Default Cowlitz River - September/October

Hello! I'm a owner of a 18 foot Super Vee and looking for someone who's interested in fishing the Cowlitz this fall. I've had the boat a year and a half and have only ran it in bigger water and tribs that don't require much skill to navigate. I'm wanting to link up with someone who has experience with running a pump in the lower river. In the tribs, my experience is limited to rowing drift boats. I've never ran the boat for what it was truly intended for and feel this season is the chance to learn. I threw this out on the main forum last year but didn't have a chance to connect with any members. Is anyone interested out there? I'd pick up the costs and would enjoy someone's company and knowledge. Thanks and be in touch if you're interested!

The Fall Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #2
Mulieman
Coho

Default Re: Cowlitz River - September/October

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fall Guy View Post
Hello! I'm a owner of a 18 foot Super Vee and looking for someone who's interested in fishing the Cowlitz this fall. I've had the boat a year and a half and have only ran it in bigger water and tribs that don't require much skill to navigate. I'm wanting to link up with someone who has experience with running a pump in the lower river. In the tribs, my experience is limited to rowing drift boats. I've never ran the boat for what it was truly intended for and feel this season is the chance to learn. I threw this out on the main forum last year but didn't have a chance to connect with any members. Is anyone interested out there? I'd pick up the costs and would enjoy someone's company and knowledge. Thanks and be in touch if you're interested!
What is your definition of "lower" river? Are you talking from the Barrier Dam down, or Castle Rock down? I have spent a lot of time from Blue Creek to Toledo and some between the Barrier Dam and Blue Creek. For the most part, that area is not a high skill area unless it is at summer level like now. There are a few places that you need to make sure you are in the chute or isn't enough water. Never been below Castle Rock, I hear it can get a little sketchy with the sand bars.
Mulieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #3
The Fall Guy
Coho

I was thinking Olequa down to Camelot. I'm game for anything though. Let me know if you're interested. Thank you!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Mulieman
Coho

I have been from I-5 down to Olequa a few times in the winter but never in lower water. I can see how it could get sketchy in that stretch though.
Mulieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:22 PM   #5
The Fall Guy
Coho

Once this rain shows some consistency, things should be getting good. I have weekends off. If anyone is interested in making a run at it send me a message. I'm free through mid November. Thanks!
Old 10-30-2019, 01:29 PM   #6
SteelheadDr
Fry

Hey Fall Guy,
I live in Longview and run a 18' Super Vee LT. I'v fished most of the river from blue creek to the Columbia except not from Mission bar to I-5 near Toledo for some reason. If you are on plane it's not a big deal as long as you avoid a few rocks. The worst one is at Castle Rock near the park. I actually hit that one at full speed the day before I replaced my big motor. Whew! A week later and i would have been a hurting puppy. There are a few spots that get shallow if you are running your kicker all over the river but usually then your moving slow enough it's just a nuisance. I do almost all of my fishing in Sept when the river is at its lowest. The channel changes almost every summer due to holes filling in from the St. Hellen's run off. If you want to learn a certain part let me know and we can take a ride but it's getting awful cold for this AZ transplant. That's why I fish it in the summer mostly plus I usually fish below the Toutle so in the winter it runs muddy.
David
SteelheadDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 05:31 AM   #7
The Fall Guy
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelheadDr View Post
Hey Fall Guy,
I live in Longview and run a 18' Super Vee LT. I'v fished most of the river from blue creek to the Columbia except not from Mission bar to I-5 near Toledo for some reason. If you are on plane it's not a big deal as long as you avoid a few rocks. The worst one is at Castle Rock near the park. I actually hit that one at full speed the day before I replaced my big motor. Whew! A week later and i would have been a hurting puppy. There are a few spots that get shallow if you are running your kicker all over the river but usually then your moving slow enough it's just a nuisance. I do almost all of my fishing in Sept when the river is at its lowest. The channel changes almost every summer due to holes filling in from the St. Hellen's run off. If you want to learn a certain part let me know and we can take a ride but it's getting awful cold for this AZ transplant. That's why I fish it in the summer mostly plus I usually fish below the Toutle so in the winter it runs muddy.
David
Hello David and thanks for the reply. PM incoming!