Rufus/Maryhill Walleye? - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:40 AM   #1
CowlitzKiller
Cutthroat

Default Rufus/Maryhill Walleye?

With coho fishing winding down, I was debating putting some walleye gear in the boat and going over for a day and trying to catch a few. Has anyone been trying for them? Jigging or trolling? I know I'll be after them again in the early spring...can't wait to catch some more of those tasty things.

CowlitzKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Default Re: Rufus/Maryhill Walleye?

I went to Rufus yesterday. We pulled plugs on 4 rods in Preachers Eddy, below the willows, and in front of the silo; didn’t catch anything but grass. We switched to worm harnesses / walkers for the last couple hours of the day, but they only attracted bass.

Conditions weren’t ideal yesterday; too sunny and exactly the wrong wind (10-15mph directly upstream had it stacked at times). Plus, I’m fairly new to fishing for eyes, so my lack of success may not mean that you won’t catch them. However, the fact that there were exactly zero other boats walleye fishing when we got there at 10am tells me that it hasn’t been hot lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
gottafish
King Salmon

Water is cold. Those fish are deep Like 40 plus feet. all you can do is jig for them right now. That said The last 2 years that area has been hammered with the limit restrictions being lifted. people routinely filled the coolers 100 plus fish. ive seen it. that area has been decimated. very sad
gottafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:33 AM   #4
lundprov
Chromer

as sad as it sounds I seen a local guide up there keeping 8" fish and he was working on trying to fill a cooler
lundprov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lundprov View Post
as sad as it sounds I seen a local guide up there keeping 8" fish and he was working on trying to fill a cooler
Sad and dumb. they wont be happy until the river is empty.
Old 11-23-2019, 05:41 AM   #6
apelily
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottafish View Post
Sadly fish and game got what they wanted. Total decimation of the walleye population. Man can be greedy and destructive if allowed to. Oh well. Fun while it lasted.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #7
Grizz86
Steelhead

It's the same story a little farther up river. Things got so slow that guides have been turning trips down since mid summer due to lack of fish/slow catch rates. Worse yet is we're coming into the big girl season and the asshats are out fishing all night for 10+ pounders with some taking them home for the table. Disgusting.
Grizz86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:10 AM   #8
Fish mojo
Ifish Nate

I took advantage of the mild weather and light wind forecast and launched at Rufus yesterday. Zero trailers at the launch at 8:30. Jigged and blade baited up at the dam deadline for several hours. One hook up that came unbuttoned. Headed down river fishing the traditional spots. Zero fish and very few marks on the fish finder. Finished up again at the dam with nothing for the day. Also tried worm harness and plug pulling. Very disappointing. Time to start searching out some new locations. Nice day to be out and on the water. Only saw 3 other boats all day which were sturgeon fishing.
"I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it."
Fish mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #9
Smj
King Salmon

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by apelily View Post
Sadly fish and game got what they wanted. Total decimation of the walleye population. Man can be greedy and destructive if allowed to. Oh well. Fun while it lasted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz86 View Post
It's the same story a little farther up river. Things got so slow that guides have been turning trips down since mid summer due to lack of fish/slow catch rates. Worse yet is we're coming into the big girl season and the asshats are out fishing all night for 10+ pounders with some taking them home for the table. Disgusting.
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Oh but......The river will be FILLED with salmon and steelhead in a few years! I might even buy a salmon tag for the wife and I again when all those fish come back!
Old 12-13-2019, 04:30 PM   #10
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smj View Post
(Tongue planted firmly in cheek)

Oh but......The river will be FILLED with salmon and steelhead in a few years! I might even buy a salmon tag for the wife and I again when all those fish come back!
You know I never have found a salmon or steel head smolt in the stomach of a walleye. They eat a lot of perch and small mouth fry. that kill all the walleye because they eat smolt is BS
Old 12-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #11
Beefcake
Sturgeon

Quote:
You know I never have found a salmon or steel head smolt in the stomach of a walleye. They eat a lot of perch and small mouth fry. that kill all the walleye because they eat smolt is BS
I’m curious though, now that pikeminnow numbers seem to be down in the mid-river (Dalles and John Day pools didn’t seem to dominate the sport reward fishery this year), will the walleye fill the void and start eating more salmon smolts?

Old 12-14-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
lundprov
Chromer

what is funny at one of the last walleye club meetings they had a guest speaker from odfw I offered to take him out and and see how many walleye he would catch trolling suspended he unfortunately would not take me up on this offer after I said I would stay out as long as it took he asked me how long would it take I answered don't know I have never caught a walleye suspended
lundprov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #13
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
I’m curious though, now that pikeminnow numbers seem to be down in the mid-river (Dalles and John Day pools didn’t seem to dominate the sport reward fishery this year), will the walleye fill the void and start eating more salmon smolts?

Ok here is the deal Walleye are on the bottom most of the time in about 15 to 40 fow Smolt are along shore lines in 2 to 10 fow. Pike minnow pray on them as well as small mouth. Now if a smolt gets chewed up in say Bonneville dam and makes it down to the walleye zone it will get eaten but its already dead. Sport fishermen love to blame walleye for the decline of the salmon but bass, perch eat a ton more smolt because they live in the same water column. when the venture deep the get eaten by the walleye. its a win for both walleye and salmon. if you really want to know what kills a ton of smolt look no further than the cormorant. Michigan rivers are full of walleye but they have stronger runs of natural spawning fish then Oregon does. Why is that??
Old 12-14-2019, 04:11 PM   #14
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
what is funny at one of the last walleye club meetings they had a guest speaker from odfw I offered to take him out and and see how many walleye he would catch trolling suspended he unfortunately would not take me up on this offer after I said I would stay out as long as it took he asked me how long would it take I answered don't know I have never caught a walleye suspended
Exactly my point!!!!
Old 12-15-2019, 12:39 PM   #15
PnwChrome
Steelhead

We all will regret destroying this fishery, we have a world class opportunity looking us right in the face and wdfw and odfw are doing there best to eliminate it. I've never seen a salmon smolt in a walleye, but I sure have seen a lot in smallmouth I've caught. Kill off the walleye but dont do a thing about the kamarates all over Astoria bridge and lower river dining on smolt 360 days a year seems ridiculous to me zero common sense. Ok my vent is over.
PnwChrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
Grizz86
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post

In the section of the Columbia river that I fish the most it had become rare to catch an incidental Pike Minnow. This last year we've started catching them fairly often and the size has increased significantly. Years ago, ODFW biologist Tony Nigro stated "Walleye in the Columbia are a net benefit to Salmon & Steelhead". Easy to see it these days - that is, IF you want to.
Old 12-18-2019, 01:00 PM   #17
Grizz86
Steelhead

Quote:
Ok here is the deal Walleye are on the bottom most of the time in about 15 to 40 fow Smolt are along shore lines in 2 to 10 fow. Pike minnow pray on them as well as small mouth. Now if a smolt gets chewed up in say Bonneville dam and makes it down to the walleye zone it will get eaten but its already dead. Sport fishermen love to blame walleye for the decline of the salmon but bass, perch eat a ton more smolt because they live in the same water column. when the venture deep the get eaten by the walleye. its a win for both walleye and salmon. if you really want to know what kills a ton of smolt look no further than the cormorant. Michigan rivers are full of walleye but they have stronger runs of natural spawning fish then Oregon does. Why is that??

The dams smolt bypasses were retrofitted to dump the smolts in the top 20' of the water column to increase smolt survival rates. The dams are also ordered to spill water at certain times of the year to flush the smolt downriver. I don't know of any successful Walleye fishermen that are fishing near the surface in the fastest current.
Old 12-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #18
gottafish
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz86 View Post
The dams smolt bypasses were retrofitted to dump the smolts in the top 20' of the water column to increase smolt survival rates. The dams are also ordered to spill water at certain times of the year to flush the smolt downriver. I don't know of any successful Walleye fishermen that are fishing near the surface in the fastest current.
exactly
Old 12-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #19
Flatfish
King Salmon

DFW did a study
Pikeminnow
Bass
Walleye

Pikeminnow did a lotta damage

Then bass. A lot more than walleye.

Walleye last and a small percentage at that.

I caught my first Oregon walleye in 1984. Of those that I have landed, it is rare to catch one with a smolt in it.

YMMV
A curious thing happens when hatchery fish stocks decline: People who aren't aware of the old levels accept the new ones as normal. Over generations, societies adjust their expectations downward to match prevailing conditions
Flatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #20
Grizz86
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatfish View Post
DFW did a study
Pikeminnow
Bass
Walleye

Pikeminnow did a lotta damage

Then bass. A lot more than walleye.

Walleye last and a small percentage at that.

I caught my first Oregon walleye in 1984. Of those that I have landed, it is rare to catch one with a smolt in it.

YMMV

Oregon DFW did a few studies in the 1980's. What they found was once the smolts are half a mile below the dams Walleye very rarely feed on them. The smolts that walleye do feed on were those that were either chewed up by going through the turbines or traumatized by the previous smolt bypass systems.

Furthermore, they found Walleye's primary food source is Northern Pike Minnow. I read a quote from Tony Nigro - Oregon DFW fish biologist, in the footnotes of one particular study where Tony stated "the presence of Walleye in the river is a Net Benefit to Salmon smolts".
Old 12-28-2019, 06:36 AM   #21
rookie23
Cutthroat

Going to be putting in some time in the next 2 weeks to learn the rufus/maryhill areas some. Figure I will start upward towards the dam and hit it with blades in the 35 to 45 fow range. At the least I will learn a little about this area and will get out of the house.
rookie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #22
Sagebrush Fisherman
Steelhead

Read a University of Idaho paper a while back on salmon/steelhead predation on the Snake River....#1 predator was small mouth bass. The best lure for smallmouth is a small plastic minnow.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:29 AM   #23
Rom-Raz
Coho

Went out 2 days ago fishing for walleye, and the only thing we caught was a cold.