Brownlee Report - Page 2 - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 06-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #61
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Default Re: Brownlee Report

Yeah, Dad and my trip over to Oxbow was slow for Crappies, yes they were deep, was counting to mid-20's and very slow retrieve. We probably caught 150 or so over 7 days of fishing, pretty slow for us. Fish were nice though, averaged 11.5".

Cat fishing was good, but we spent limited time after them.

We were there 3rd to 11th.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #62
Tch757
Fry

We stayed at Woodhead from June 18-25. Put as many hours on the water as we could. The wind and thunderstorms were not helpful. The crappie were few and far between. The few we did catch were while trolling bass plugs. Water temps were around 66-67 most of the time we were there. There was a lot of plankton in the water and the fish we caught were full of it. We did ok on the catfish. The weather settled down on Saturday and the fishing seemed to be picking up. Hopefully it gets better from here.
Tch757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #63
Pelican
Steelhead

01 Aug 2018 - 5 hours of crappie fishing with Gary G. We had a absolutely epic trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01Aug2018.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	706133  
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #64
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
01 Aug 2018 - 5 hours of crappie fishing with Gary G. We had a absolutely epic trip!
Those may not be the biggest crappies I have seen but they may be the fattest. How many did you get in 5 hours? Any bluegills?
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #65
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
I've though about charter trip over there now and then but what are the rates? Based on the size of the catch doesn't tell me anything. If they would give a couple number's between bottom and top I could figure out if I could afford the trip.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #66
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I've though about charter trip over there now and then but what are the rates? Based on the size of the catch doesn't tell me anything. If they would give a couple number's between bottom and top I could figure out if I could afford the trip.
theres a phone # right there on the sign. ill bet the charter company could answer your question.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #67
Pelican
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
My party of 3 experienced fishermen returned home each one with about 10 lbs of fillets. There is no use to list the number of fish caught because that will certainly chamge from various factors. It is a fact that these fish are in a bracket called .... jumbo. But there are many other perks to this trip. Knowledge was shared. We now understand how to look at a display screen of crappie and differentiate between a school of biters and non-biters. What would that be worth to you in your own local fishing? We understand how to ascertain from the screen if the preferred diet of crappie are present. We fished comfortably, able to get up and stretch our legs around the pontoon boat. We fished under a shade canopy and had the use of a privately screened head if we had needed it. Our iced fish were expertly filled at a reasonable fee.
So if you want to journey to visit the guru for enlightenment, no need for you to travel to India.
For fishermen, Richland, Oregon is much, much closer.
P.S. Listen to Gary. Listen to Gary. Remember, you can't listen if your mouth is flapping away with fish stories. Listen to Gary. Ah-oooom!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #68
puckfisher
Tuna!

Hot as hell but fish are biting. Crappie bite is deep and spotty for jig fishing. Nobody here and main body of Brownlee in good shape but dropping every day. Bonus is many nice bluegills. More thanI have ever caught here. I start at 5 am and very comfortable until about 10. Night bite did not produce for me. Caught perch, one big cat, crappies, bass and bluegills today. Fun to find schools and mix up techniques to target different species. Stories of guys trolling #7 floating Rapala with 1/2 oz. weight hammering crappies. Just not my style.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:39 PM   #69
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Thanks for the report. Heat must be unbearable during the day? Been wondering where the water will be in late Sept. and Oct.? Too early to predict....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #70
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Water is pretty low, lots of weeds making catfishing pretty rough. Still managed a couple on my anual drive through overnighter from Idaho. Love me some fresh catfish cajun fried with red white and blue spuds from the garden. Highlight of the trip was watching a golden eagle snatch up a full sized mallard right beside us. What incredible power those birds have. Deer all over the shoreline in the morning, lots of life.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #71
puckfisher
Tuna!

One last trip. Beautiful weather. Water in great shape, 60 degrees. Bass everywhere with some nice accidental chunky smallies while chasing crappies. The bass are the fish to target. Many bluegills and crappies schooled up once you find them. The problem is size. Got enough gills for a meal but did not get even one of those nice crappies this trip. 6 inch crappies and 5 inch gills biting multiple times on one cast once you find them but not what I was looking for. Kind of concerned that I am finding so many bluegills where I am used to finding crappies. Upside is the big gills that are there but must target them with red wigglers and little gills pick you clean often. Enough big crappies and gills left for next year but again early season water levels and weather will dictate timing of long drive east. Interested to see what happens at Prineville. Great numbers had by all. Will these fish grow into 13 inch slabs? I’m hoping. Anyone want to sink some trees?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #72
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
One last trip. Beautiful weather. Water in great shape, 60 degrees. Bass everywhere with some nice accidental chunky smallies while chasing crappies. The bass are the fish to target. Many bluegills and crappies schooled up once you find them. The problem is size. Got enough gills for a meal but did not get even one of those nice crappies this trip. 6 inch crappies and 5 inch gills biting multiple times on one cast once you find them but not what I was looking for. Kind of concerned that I am finding so many bluegills where I am used to finding crappies. Upside is the big gills that are there but must target them with red wigglers and little gills pick you clean often. Enough big crappies and gills left for next year but again early season water levels and weather will dictate timing of long drive east. Interested to see what happens at Prineville. Great numbers had by all. Will these fish grow into 13 inch slabs? I’m hoping. Anyone want to sink some trees?

Thanks for all the informative reports this year, I nominate you Bass, & Panfish poster of the year really appreciate your knowledge, & willingness to share that knowledge, especially the Crappie reports, Brownlee is our favorite Crappie lake, Owyhee second, but think we'll give Prineville a try next spring for a change of scenery.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #73
backcountry89
Steelhead

Can we refresh this for 2019!?!? Will be heading out to Brownlee again this year around the weekend before 4th of July. Last year hit it on June 23rd with epic wind and no fish all day. Really need to produce a quality fishing trip for my kids ha ha. Thanks everyone for your input.

-MATT-

Lord give me grace to fish until my dying day, and when in gods great landing net...let me be judged big enough to keep. RIP Gramps
backcountry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #74
puckfisher
Tuna!

Four day trip shrunk to one at Brownlee. Only four nice crappies. Fished hard early and late. Fish are deep and not aggressive. Nobody having luck with crappies. Bass and catfish biting. Water very high, murky and 70 degrees. Two years in a row now with no shallow bobber bite. Locals fishing all night have had success. Bluegills are numerous but on the small side. Fished Unity on way home and wind drifted wooly buggers on intermediate line. Hooked six nice trout. Very healthy. Ice fishing destination this winter. Brownlee has disappointed several trips last two years. Might look to CJ Strike in Idaho and Shasta in April for my fix in future. Manitoba walleyes were thick. 18-24 inchers all day in shallow water. Jig and minnow or minnow under bobber at creek mouths. Crazy action.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #75
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
Four day trip shrunk to one at Brownlee. Only four nice crappies. Fished hard early and late. Fish are deep and not aggressive. Nobody having luck with crappies. Bass and catfish biting. Water very high, murky and 70 degrees. Two years in a row now with no shallow bobber bite. Locals fishing all night have had success. Bluegills are numerous but on the small side. Fished Unity on way home and wind drifted wooly buggers on intermediate line. Hooked six nice trout. Very healthy. Ice fishing destination this winter. Brownlee has disappointed several trips last two years. Might look to CJ Strike in Idaho and Shasta in April for my fix in future. Manitoba walleyes were thick. 18-24 inchers all day in shallow water. Jig and minnow or minnow under bobber at creek mouths. Crazy action.
Most dissapointing year at Brownlee in 37 years for us too, as much as I hate to say it, until things improve greatly there, we will not be going back.

Thanks for the reports.

Last edited by adrenaline; 06-15-2019 at 07:43 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #76
backcountry89
Steelhead

So from the sounds of it I should probably reconsider taking my kids there in a week and a half... guess that crosses off them getting a shot at a decent catfish day. Need to come up with a good plan b camping/fishing trip. I appreciate the reports!!

-MATT-

Lord give me grace to fish until my dying day, and when in gods great landing net...let me be judged big enough to keep. RIP Gramps
Old 06-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #77
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry89 View Post
So from the sounds of it I should probably reconsider taking my kids there in a week and a half... guess that crosses off them getting a shot at a decent catfish day. Need to come up with a good plan b camping/fishing trip. I appreciate the reports!!

-MATT-
Catfishing should be good, Bassin too, Crappie not so good, only at night.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #78
backcountry89
Steelhead

Where are they hitting good? I was thinking of trying some of the pullout spots, bank fishing between the burnt river and the cemetary. I don't have much experience beyond the cemetary. Are there better areas for the catfish and bass or am I in the right ball park? Shouldn't the Carp be spawning in the shallows by now?

-MATT-

Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #79
backcountry89
Steelhead

Are you saying the crappie are only good at night or the cats and bass?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #80
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
You are in NE Oregon? You might try Pilcher, Wolf Creek Reservoir, Phillips Reservoir has beautiful camp sites. Plenty to choose from. Brownlee wouldn’t be my first choice with two boys.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #81
Team Blue Water
Steelhead

For catfishing, anywhere down river of farewell bend should be good. Bass fishing has been solid in the brownlee and oxbow pools. Just sounds like crappie is down again. I agree with pilcher and Phillips being worthwhile for trout fishing. I would probably lean more towards Phillips if it were me
Team Blue Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #82
backcountry89
Steelhead

Yes we are near pendleton, more than just 2 boys, got 2 boys and 2 girls ha ha and they all want to catch something!! I will do more research on those areas you guys have mentioned as well. They all have been really wanting to catch a channel cat I'm happy with either cats or bass just as long the kids enjoy themselves. Thanks for all the input!!

-MATT-

Old 06-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #83
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Yes we are near pendleton, more than just 2 boys, got 2 boys and 2 girls ha ha and they all want to catch something!! I will do more research on those areas you guys have mentioned as well. They all have been really wanting to catch a channel cat I'm happy with either cats or bass just as long the kids enjoy themselves. Thanks for all the input!!

-MATT-
What about Mc Kay? Four kids along dusty road next to Brownlee is a recipe for disaster. Perch are thick at Phillips. Also much safer.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #84
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Crappie has been best at night, Catfishing is usually best at night too, as daytime fisherpeople & night time sleepers, we only fish for Catfish early morning and late evening to just past dark, which has been good for us in late April to early May when we go, Graveyard spot is where we used to fish & camp for decades has a new owner & access is by permission only...if you can contact the owner, we did not see anybody there in early May. With the reservoir full, you don't need to use the dusty road to find Catfish, like said from farewell bend up stream to spring camp where the pavement ends should be good without all the dust, up stream from FB should be good for Catfish too, Brownlee is still a good bet for Catfish, used to be a good bet for Crappie, Crappie is our primary target, Brownlee is currently not worth the long drive for Crappie IMO. Bass fishing is best in daylight hours & usually very good fishing this time of the year, but limited from shore, a boat, raft or even a float tube will increase your odds greatly. Good Luck.

Last edited by adrenaline; 06-16-2019 at 06:03 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM   #85
backcountry89
Steelhead

We have not had the best of luck out at McKay,we have gone a few time's just bobber fishing night crawlers with zero luck. I have never fished at farewell bend, always bank fished just around the corner from where the burnt river flows in. Always seems to be a pile of people on that corner where the mouth of the burnt river is must be for good reason just don't want to be in the crowd.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #86
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Spent 11 nights over on Oxbow, crappie fishing went from poor to worse. Cat fishing was poor also, did have a good final day on them.

Crappie are all sizes, 5" up to 12", just not in any numbers. A white shad jig seemed to work the best, matched what we were seeing in their bellies. Best day we may have had 20 over 10".

Found a pocket of bluegills, they would be aggressive at times. I was using a clear bobber with a fly trailer, dang things liked the bobber more than the fly. Did find out the bass were real suckers for this setup, finally broke off my only fly I had along.

Catfish seems scattered, would pick up a couple and then nothing, move and pick up a couple and then nothing. Only on the last day did we get into some steady action with 8-9 cats finding their way to the boat. The cats seemed to be in the more rocky bottom terrain than on the flats.

Too dang hot while we were there, looks like it has cooled off now. Lots of Krill in the water, really thick in spots. They were still spilling water at the Brownlee dam, made the dam area rough due to the swells.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 PM   #87
S Radke
Chromer

I fished cats out of Richland on Wednesday. I'm a novice at it, gleaning here for techniques and bait and guessing on spots. Did manage to pull a dozen keepers from 3-15 lbs in a long day. Only one small so I was happy with that. 2 gallons of fillets.

-Scott
S Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 09:46 AM   #88
CCCatch
Chromer

Any recent report from Brownlee or Oxbow? Are Mormon crickets available this year? Thanks in advance.
CCCatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:10 PM   #89
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Time to bring it to the top. Best fishing of the year should be now and for the next month or so. Any fresh reports. I can’t go so it has to be lights out.
Old 09-23-2019, 06:50 AM   #90
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

If you are after crappie Prineville has bigger, more, and is a heck of a lot closer to most folks.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 11:59 AM   #91
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukardave1 View Post
If you are after crappie Prineville has bigger, more, and is a heck of a lot closer to most folks.
Can they still get a boat in on the ramps?I was there last Thursday, I think that was the day. Ramps were really low! Up in the nowake zone, water was really low every where. Went to the floating out house and lot of fish there. 9 1/2" to about 10 1/2".

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #92
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Wow!!! Not a single report. Does anyone remember the good old days?
Old 10-29-2019, 04:32 PM   #93
puckfisher
Tuna!

Second year in a row that Brownlee was a near bust for me. Shasta retained good water levels so early season crappie hunting in brush for crappies in 13-16 inch range will be on my radar. A dozen is a good day but bass are plentiful also. Some bonus bluegills in one pound range will get your attention. Mid March to mid May is window. Must move around and use small, light baits.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #94
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Even better hit Prineville next year for (50) 11- 12" crappie
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote