Crane - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 07-20-2001, 01:20 PM   #1
Williedrifter
Steelhead

Default Crane

I was thinking of fishing bass at either Crane or Wickiup this weekend. Anyone been there lately, Also I,ve never been there with my boat, what would be a likely camping/boat launching area for my drift boat/no motor. Thanks

Williedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2001, 02:13 PM   #2
Jellyhead
Chromer

Default Re: Crane

Right now from what I've heard Crane is really low. Earlier in the year I was there and it was low. I'd camp at the rock creek campground, and fishing should be fairly close. One thing, if you don't have a motor, you might want to limit you're fishing to the mornings, The wind usually picks up and blows like crazy after noon.

Try throwing senkos (See tech report at bottom of page) or jigs into the deeper wood. Good Luck, crane can be a ton of fun if you get on a good bite.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 03:28 PM   #3
Phish_on

There are bass in Wickiup now ???

#%&@%#%@&#!!!!

Next step is the Deschutes, you know ... it's not amusing anymore! Can bass live in water that cold ?
Phish_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2001, 03:59 PM   #4
Jellyhead
Chromer

Phish,

Yeah their in Wikiup. They're just about everywhere. Now, I do not advocate being a "Johnny Bass-seed", and think that those caught transplanting or introducing new species should be severly punished. But, mother nature has ways of transplanting fish. Don't assume that other fisherman cause the spread of warmwater fish. Birds can, and definitly do, transplant fish. Warmwater fish eggs are sticky, and when wading birds wade, or swim, through a nest during the spring, eggs stick to them, and then they fly to Wickiup for another tasty snack, and wha-la, you've got an introduced species.

So far, it seems the trout are holding their own in Crane, lets hope it stays that way.

Aaron
Jellyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 04:17 PM   #5
Tanner
Sturgeon

They are also in Davis Lake and yes Phish there has already been a few of them caught out of the Deschutes around Sun River. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-24-2001, 04:36 PM   #6
Phish_on

I've heard about the bird-transport, that's why it's such a bummer, all the lakes are so close to each other. I'm pretty sure a human put them in Crane Prairie though. I hope the browns develop a taste for bass babies. I thought they were a "warmwater" fish ... I've fallen into the Deschutes, warm it ain't.

The times they are a-changin' I guess. Ready for that global warming deal !?!
Phish_on is offline   Reply With Quote