Bass fishing in Hillsboro - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 04-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #1
sypher
Cutthroat

Default Bass fishing in Hillsboro

Anyone know of any areas that have bass other than Hagg Lake. I am looking for a few new places to go that are kid friendly. Thanks

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Bass fishing in Hillsboro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sypher View Post
Anyone know of any areas that have bass other than Hagg Lake. I am looking for a few new places to go that are kid friendly. Thanks
There's a pond at Rood Bridge Park that, when it's not choked with weeds - has some bass in it. Very kid friendly park. There is a spot or two where you can fish from a paved trail, if you need/want to. There's a bark dust trail leading around 80% of the pond, and grass bank around the rest.

There's also the Tualatin River and Rock Creek in the park as well - tho those don't open till May 28. Pond is open year round.

If you don't mind driving a bit - Cook Park in Tigard, near Tigard HS sits on the Tualatin, and has a dock you can fish off of. Bass, perch, trout, and carp can be caught there pretty regularly.

Or you can drive to Scappoose or Saint Helens and fish the Multnomah Channel, or drive over to Sauvie's Island and hit up the lakes or the channel there.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
Super Fluke
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwerx View Post
There's a pond at Rood Bridge Park that, when it's not choked with weeds - has some bass in it. Very kid friendly park. There is a spot or two where you can fish from a paved trail, if you need/want to. There's a bark dust trail leading around 80% of the pond, and grass bank around the rest.

There's also the Tualatin River and Rock Creek in the park as well - tho those don't open till May 28. Pond is open year round.

If you don't mind driving a bit - Cook Park in Tigard, near Tigard HS sits on the Tualatin, and has a dock you can fish off of. Bass, perch, trout, and carp can be caught there pretty regularly.

Or you can drive to Scappoose or Saint Helens and fish the Multnomah Channel, or drive over to Sauvie's Island and hit up the lakes or the channel there.
How big are they in Rood Bridge Park?
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 01:07 AM   #4
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Kind of varies year to year - the pond gets flooded by the Tualatin during high water winters - the fish in the pond change some. I've caught cutthroat in there some years, other years is bass, lots of crappie and panfish, and some big carp usually.

biggest bass I personally pulled out was about 2lbs. Lots of 10-15 inch fish in there, or there were.

The Tualatin is, of course, the tualatin. Fishing can be good, or can suck. Remember that the stretch by Rood Bridge is above the Scholls Ferry Rd. Bridge, and thus artificials/flies only - no soft plastics allowed. The pond has no restrictions aside from general state regs.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:28 PM   #5
Slayer12
Steelhead

try Bethany lake just off 185th... fished it quite a few times last spring... Mid April I caught nice fish. after that the fish seemed to disapear when the moss gets thick and covers everything. Use heavy line and pitch the pads. good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM   #6
mkwerx
Ifish Nate

Bethany can be good, but as Slayer mentioned, like Rood Bridge, when temps climb, the algae and weeds explode. Weedless lures, like texas rigged worms, scum frogs, and top waters can produce, fly fishing does well if the fish are close enough in.

Carp are the main attraction for me at Bethany once the water quality goes to pot.