Brownlee Report - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 03-31-2018, 03:49 PM   #1
edressen
Steelhead

Default Brownlee Report

Reservoir is low so launched at moonshine mine. Fishing was slow, but they are slabs. Caught them on bobbers in the Powder arm. Caught them on the bottom at the Cemetery. ????

As usual the kids out fished us.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

edressen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 05:24 PM   #2
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Default Re: Brownlee Report

Very nice. I need to get back over there.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:21 PM   #3
Kara
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by edressen View Post
Reservoir is low so launched at moonshine mine. Fishing was slow, but they are slabs. Caught them on bobbers in the Powder arm. Caught them on the bottom at the Cemetery. ????

As usual the kids out fished us.

Nice used bombers with?? If I may ask. Love the kids smiles.
Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2018, 06:37 PM   #4
edressen
Steelhead

Any jig with powerbait nibble added.

Old 03-31-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
fisher guy
Steelhead

Nice looking fish and great smiles on the kids.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #6
Triple Threat
Chromer

Thanks for the report.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #7
adrenaline
King Salmon

Thanks for the report, getting excited just a few weeks for us, have not wet a line since Aug, even longer for my Wife.

Last edited by adrenaline; 04-04-2018 at 07:43 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:16 AM   #8
edressen
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Thanks for the report, getting excited just a few weeks for us, have not wet a line since Aug, even longer for my Wife. You ran all the way to the Graveyard from the Powder rv arm?
We did. With a new boat everyone was enjoying just driving around and burning up gas. It was fun I have to admit.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #9
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
We did. With a new boat everyone was enjoying just driving around and burning up gas. It was fun I have to admit.

Was anybody camping there?, been camping there for over 35 years, was there last spring but gate had no trespassing signs hanging, & water was too low to launch a boat anyway, heard the new owners were going to allow camping for a fee, pretty sure we can camp there by boat as long as we camp below the high water line, but that would be alot of work moving all the stuff by boat, would rather drive in...if allowed, not sure where we would go otherwise, might go to Owyhee again if no better choice, but hard to resist slab Crappie, looks like 12" + ?.

Sounds like a fun way to break in a new Boat, what boat do you have, looks like a Hewes?
Old 04-02-2018, 02:05 PM   #10
edressen
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Was anybody camping there?, been camping there for over 35 years, was there last spring but gate had no trespassing signs hanging, & water was too low to launch a boat anyway, heard the new owners were going to allow camping for a fee, pretty sure we can camp there by boat as long as we camp below the high water line, but that would be alot of work moving all the stuff by boat, would rather drive in...if allowed, not sure where we would go otherwise, might go to Owyhee again if no better choice, but hard to resist slab Crappie, looks like 12" + ?.

Sounds like a fun way to break in a new Boat, what boat do you have, looks like a Hewes?

I prefer to camp at Moonshine Mine.* It just got finished last year.* It is free.* There are six sites, two toilets, a nice ramp, but zero shade.* If you are coming from Huntington, it is all the way at the end of the road before it climbs back up to Richland.* It is a long way to the Cemetery, but there are lots of other places to fish.

The new boat is a 220 searunner. I am hoping to fish the ocean some.

Last edited by edressen; 04-03-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Yes, you can camp there.* The guy who bought it has a mechanic shop of some sort at Farewell Bend.* I will see if my folks have a # for him.* I think it is $20 a night.* My parents like it better now.* There is less riff raff***

I prefer to camp at Moonshine Mine.* It just got finished last year.* It is free.* There are six sites, two toilets, a nice ramp, but zero shade.* If you are coming from Huntington, it is all the way at the end of the road before it climbs back up to Richland.* It is a long way to the Cemetery, but there are lots of other places to fish.

The new boat is a 220 searunner. I am hoping to fish the ocean some.

Thanks, yeah the BLM guy said the reason for such a low water level last spring was to repair the moonshine ramp, which is now the lowest water level access on the res., further than we want to drive on the gravel road tho, but not out of the question, it's been over 2 decades since we went that far down the gravel road, & never launched a boat, or camped there, I remember sweeds, don't remember moonshine tho. took a look on google earth earlier this morning, looks like a small, but good camp area, will take the time to check it out one way or another, appreciate the contact tn# if you can get it, we really want our favorite spot back.

Nice Boat, you should go Tuna fishing with it.

Last edited by adrenaline; 04-02-2018 at 03:55 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #12
edressen
Steelhead

Nice Boat, you should go Tuna fishing with it. [/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed. I only have experience fishing livey's off of a Charter, but I would really like to learn.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:15 PM   #13
Kara
Coho

Quote:
Any jig with powerbait nibble added.

Thank you fond Memories for sure
Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:40 PM   #14
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
Very nice. I need to get back over there.
Also had to launch at Moonshine today. 60 degrees, calm, overcast. Marking crappies and gettting some beauties. Avg. about 12 inches but really thick. All is well until wind, rain and 10 degree temperature drop. Still marking crappies but they have lockjaw. Gonna be a great spring here.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:06 PM   #15
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Confirmed reservations................... tick, tock, tick, tock
JIMBOUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 07:46 PM   #16
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOUY View Post
Confirmed reservations................... tick, tock, tick, tock
Spanked them again today. Had to work but fish showing on screen were willing to bite. Locals are worried about severe water lowering presently being done that they they say will be lowest ever. They are afraid that spawn will be destroyed when Reservoir fills and entire crappie hatch “drowned”. Better time your trip with proper water level in what might be an unusual year. Fish are definitely here and healthy.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:13 AM   #17
JIMBOUY
Chromer

STOP IT ! ! ! Your killing me here!!!! Tick, tock, tick, tock.....
Old 04-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #18
puckfisher
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOUY View Post
STOP IT ! ! ! Your killing me here!!!! Tick, tock, tick, tock.....
Fresh crappies for dinner. While cleaning these up I cut a few open. I had noticed that clear salt and pepper skirts worked best and I like to use a lot of different colors. Crappies were feeding on baby crappies about 3 inches that looked like salt and pepper skirts. I don’t often match the hatch for crappies but that was what was working. Nibbles a plus.
Old 04-08-2018, 07:49 PM   #19
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Park manager said the camera was down at Hewitt and will be up in a few weeks. Darn................
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM   #20
adrenaline
King Salmon

Tic tock, tic tock for sure, man we are so ready to catch a fish, any fish, it's been over 8 months since I wet a line, closer to 24 months for my Wife, even longer since either of us caught a Crappie over 12", she is excited to say the least , we really to go to Brownlee, but watching Brownlee continue to lower is not what we want to see, however not unusual for this time of the year, just depends how low, 40' feet down is doable, 60' down is a no go, will wait til the last day to decide where to go, it's either turn south or north at Vale....soon very soon.
Old 05-13-2018, 09:06 PM   #21
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Anyone been to Brownlee recently? I hear the water is up and launches are accessible. I have never been there but will by going for a 4 day trip near the end of the week.
1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 04:43 PM   #22
puckfisher
Chromer

Just go. Check in with Thorny at Hitching Post if you are in Richland. Prepare to use different techniques. Slow trolling with two jigs off points works often. Bobber bite might be starting. Vertical jigging straight on top of located schools can be awesome. Fish them early and late. You’ll find em.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #23
adrenaline
King Salmon

Hard to go wrong in May at Brownlee...anywhere...just go, Crappie will be moving into the shallows getting ready for the spawn, so bobber & jig is a good option, if from a Boat anchor or drift close to shore with or without a bobber, slow trolling small repalas or similar crank baits works well for these 12" + Crappie too, if windy find a sheltered cove for best results. Good Luck!
Old 05-15-2018, 08:10 AM   #24
1nutinthewater
Tuna!

Thanks guys! Does not sound to complicated. I have 7 rods loaded up just in case...........
1nutinthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #25
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Tick - Tock - Tick - Tock
Old 05-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #26
chumdoggy
Steelhead

Smile Re: Brownlee Report

Fished last weekend (5/19). The crappie had not yet moved in to the coves to spawn. Scattered fish were encountered staging in 40 - 60 feet of water.
Size was excellent 11-12 inch average. Conditions were windy most of the time especially in the pm. 1/8 to 1/16 jigs produced. Chartreuse seemed most productive. Overall lower numbers but better quality than prior years. Very few catfish around. Incidental smallmouth bass catches were a nice bonus. Average smallie was JUST over 12 inches. Odds are good for fishers headed over today for the long weekend. Hopefully fish will be on the spawning grounds. Good luck, please release any crappie under 11 inches. Looking like next year will be TOUGH. The Fishing Lawyer.
chumdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:20 PM   #27
DucterJim
Steelhead

Just home from week at Brownlee crappie are nice size, fishing was fine catching was bad. Got enough to have a few meals and number of fun small mouths. Water needs to stabilize probable came up 15 feet or more the time we were there. Worst week we have ever had a Brownlee. I would guess it will be two weeks before the crappie move into shallows. Five us fished at least 5 hours each day and high day was 30 fish and lowest 10 fish. Good luck to all.
DucterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 PM   #28
Snapset
Ifish Nate

This is our second full day of our annual Brownlee Crappie trip. Yesterday day ran the boat all over the reservoir. From Powder river arm up to spring campground. Best fishing was a pull out right where the pavement ends. Averaged about 3 fish an hour. Caught some dandy smallmouth there too. Also got a 8 lb channel cat there, all on a black and green Crappie jig. Most Crappie bit at about 8 foot depth.
Looking for faster Crappie action, we headed down to Owyhee this morning. .Fishing from the shore, managed to average 4 fish per 5 casts. Only 1 of 5 was big enough to keep, and just barely.
Tomorrow I think I'll anchor the boat and try for more catfish. Weather might make that challenging.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #29
bcav8
Steelhead

Fished Saturday morning through Sunday morning of Memorial Weekend near Huntington from the bank. It was tough. Got 10 cats averaging 7lbs and 40 crappie. Half of the crappie weighed 1lb each. So the size is there but numbers are not. Used small chunks of American Shad for cats and all sorts of plastics for crappie. Last year we had 150 crappie for the same time frame. All the bank anglers we talked to struggled. Crappie are still deep with only a small percentage in the shallows spawning. It was far too windy and there was too much debris in the water. Maybe next year will be better. Good luck
bcav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:06 AM   #30
shinnookums
Chromer

7 lb average catfish is great fishing! I would rather get 40 slabs than 150 dinks on the crappie any day. From the Idaho Power website it looks like the pool is almost full and the rise has slowed down the last few days. I’m heading over this weekend and hopefully it’s finally at a stable level. If not I may move elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:16 PM   #31
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Was down at Hewlett Park on Sunday. Water is up, fish are biting. Only going to get better. Lots of boats showing up, going to get busy. Better get at it....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:33 AM   #32
shinnookums
Chromer

Finally made it over there this past weekend. We found schools of crappie at the lower end of Oxbow Friday evening about 25-30 feet but unfortunately they had lockjaw and we only caught 4 and they were all 11-12”. We hoped the slow fishing was due to the high pressure system but but Saturday morning was even worse and we only landed one. Frustrated we moved to Brownlee and even though the water conditions were good they weren’t biting there either. We literally saw no one catch one from the bank or a boat and only one boat of the half dozen we talked to even had one. One guy in a very nice Skeeter was taking out when we were and he said in a recent bass tournament he fished there he was catching quite a few incidental 12-13” crappie and he came back to harvest some and he was also skunked. We switched over to bass in the late afternoonand caught 5 keepers and a bunch of smaller ones. Only a very small percentage of the carcasses at the cleaning station were crappie. It was mostly catfish and bass. Sunday morning we caught limits of bass and went home.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #33
puckfisher
Chromer

These poor reports from Brownlee/Owbow are confusing. Crappies are big and should be turned on by now. I haven’t been there since mid April and bite was strong. This has always been a place where crappie nibbles improve the bite significantly. Color of nibbles never seemed to matter. If the bobber bite is not on, tie on two small jigs separated by 18 inches. Do not tie second jig to shank of first one. Try Powder River arm first. Medium cast away from boat and wind drift past points or into coves. Then try main body of Brownlee and look for underwater structure. I prefer the clear or opaque salt and pepper small skirts rather than wild colors. Tie up to shore and fan cast into deep water. Count to ten or more and dead slow retrieve. Fish often hit on drop but it is just a tap. No bites? Move and move again. If none of this works, try Phillips Reservoir for trout or Cascade Lake for big perch or go for cats.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #34
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The fellow at the cleaning station with all the Crappie, caught them at night.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:25 PM   #35
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Here since Sunday, Hewitt park. Only 8 crappie. Anchored over 150 - 200 crappie. 3 fish in 2 hours. Anchored over bunch of schools, all have lock jaw. Sitting up in powder river head waters for cats now. Nada.
No one I met catching anything. Park not half full of RVs.
We'll keep after em.
Old 06-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #36
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Try the night bite. We struggled there a few years back then talked to some folks who were going to bed as we were loading up to head out in the morning. They did well at night and we switched our focus the last night and had a blast cats and crappie, perch too hit right before darkness fell. Wish we would have figured it out sooner.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:30 PM   #37
southendguy
Steelhead

I just got back from spending a few days at Brownlee. We found very few crappie that were willing to bite, but the few that we did catch were good ones. The catfish however, were on the bite. Fishing Mormon crickets on the bottom was pretty good, three of us caught 30 in two days. But when we found a place where the fish were in a feeding frenzy on crickets crossing a cove, Katy bar the door! We caught a fish on 90% of our casts, if not more. At one time, we would start counting when the bobber hit the water, and if it went more than 30 seconds without going under, we were getting frustrated. 51 catfish and 3 keeper bass in 6 hours. The next day we tried to catch crappie again, but after 4 fish in an hour and a half, we went back to the catfish hole. They weren't boiling like the day before, but after a little moving around, we got on them again. This time we kept 73 catfish and 5 keeper bass, in 6 1/2 hours.

Find the crickets, and you'll find the catfish! I think I'll go cook some up now.
southendguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:59 PM   #38
Bert2o
Steelhead

Where can a fella buy or find Mormon crickets and why Mormon crickets as opposed to Catholic crickets???
Bert2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 03:04 PM   #39
puckfisher
Chromer

I have seen that cricket hatch. Big cats slurping on the surface. Quite a sight. I fished Brownlee strictly for crappies on Wed And Thurs. I eliminated many of my favorite spots on Wed. Powder River arm was dead. Water was surprisingly clean and temp was 69. No bobber bite. Fish will move in soon. Only way for me to get them was to locate school and stay on top of them. Best was 1/64 oz. jig heads(2) with 1 inch Gulp minnows. This Reservoir was nearly vacant at 8:00 pm and with wind down and storm moving in, crappies were biting. Managed about 30 with only two about 8 inches and the rest solid 12. They wanted it right in their faces. Casting and trolling not good for me. Big bluegills have not moved to their beds yet so everything a little late this year. Night fishermen had good success.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:34 PM   #40
southendguy
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert2o View Post
Where can a fella buy or find Mormon crickets and why Mormon crickets as opposed to Catholic crickets???
The bait shop in Huntington had crickets. Or you can patrol the Idaho side of the reservoir until you find them moving.
As far as why only Mormon crickets.................................maybe they don't like wine flavored crickets.
southendguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #41
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Love reading these report's from Brownlee. Been there three time's, last time was bird hunting. Have caught a total of one crappie and one cat! Used a boat one time, caught the crappie. Put in at Sweeds or whatever that is called. Fished the bank last time at the cemetery got my cat. Son was with me and he caught two! He used Mormon cricket's we got in Huntington, I used chicken liver I think it was. Want to go again this year and will bank fish again. Take my small RV trailer and leave the boat home. You guy's aren't kidding about all the fish you catch are you? I read one guy only caught 40 crappie and a 7# cat? He called it slow! I'd say that was pretty good! Cats interest me the most. Only ever caught one crappie and threw it back. Guy that comes out for pigeons each fall for his dog, usually brings me some crappie, really good. I have seen people with crappie. One guy out of Huntington bank fishing had a sheet of plywood set up the was full of crappie he caught. I'd bet there were two or three that went 4", the rest were small. Do you guy's really keep those little sucker's?

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 09:00 AM   #42
puckfisher
Chromer

Take the boat and leave trailer at home. Stay at Hitching Post motel or set up tent. Launch at Hewitt Park and fish Powder River arm. It will be red hot in a couple weeks and you would have to try to not catch crappies. Ask for advice from people there if you are struggling. Move around till you find them. Small crappie jigs, small skirts in different colors and a bottle of crappie nibbles. How many fish do you want to filet?
Old 06-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #43
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I think the problem right now is folks aren't fishing deep enough? The fish are there during the day otherwise the night fishermen wouldn't be doing as well as they are. Sliding bobber with the stop set at 30 to 40 feet might improve the bite? Troll slowly till you get bit then stay there to find out if there's more around. 5 minutes is long enough.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:12 PM   #44
wimjim10
Fry

Hit Oxbow the other day. Lots of decent sized bass (12-16”). Couldn’t get any crappie but wasn’t really trying. Bass are right on the bank and saw some small bluegill shallow as well. It’s really fun to just walk along the road and look down into the water and see bass, bluegill, small catfish, and of course monster carp. Opted out of going to Brownlee for the day. Oxbow was pretty busy which means Brownlee would be even more crowded. I’ve heard from a lot of people that the crappie bite is off until dark.
wimjim10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 06:32 PM   #45
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Just got back. Cut the trip because of lack of crappie. I'm probably a crappy crappie fishermen. If so, there were a lot of us crappy crappie fishermen/women up there. We did better than everyone we talked to on the water and in camp, that is sad. The folks out fishing all night did much better and had lots to show. I need my beauty sleep - if you seen me you would understand!

Caught Catfish, Blu-gill, Crappie, Bass & Trout. Just not in the numbers accustom to. I still have Shad, Clams & Wallies that need attention.

All in all, a great trip. Camping is wonderful but I have other priorities in life.
We might have to go back up when the bite turns on - they say in two weeks. Love it up there.

Now for the non-believers -- The wife and i used the new Garmin echomap SV to find the crappie schools. We found them, lots of them in 30 to 60 FOW. At times every day schools of 300 to 400. The last few days we able to pull out 10 and 11 total out of the schools. That was hours on top them. Huge, huge crappie as previously reported on here.

If your headed up you probably timed it right. Catfish in the upper Powder was ok in the evenings. Still filling the pond. Used fresh crappie/worms and managed a few nice big cats.

HEWITT CAMERA UPDATE: talked to the park manager about the camera position fixed on the tree and not the river like the old one. Here is the story; Some male individual made the bold move to "Urinate" right in front of the camera. Of course it was reported and they were motivated to move it off the original position. I do understand the perhaps the camera did cover much of space #1 and I know I would not appreciate everyone looking at my spot. There is a possibility of a second camera in the future.

Any-who, that is it. I will be back, just hope the timing is better next time. If headed up to Brownlee, those crappie are HUGE!

I can only report what I saw and did. If others differ, sorry.............

Last edited by JIMBOUY; 06-10-2018 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Information misplaced in post
Old 06-10-2018, 10:37 AM   #46
adrenaline
King Salmon

Anybody try slow trolling repalas?, it's our go to method when larger Crappie are not biting well in the shallows.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #47
puckfisher
Chromer

Brownlee is a place where sometimes anything works and sometimes nothing works. Crappies anywhere are a finicky species and right now at Brownlee the fast rising water levels have them off the bite. That being said, the guys who can shift gears and use different tackle, different techniques, different times, etc will catch fish. I will go to Hell’s Canyon Reservoir at times when conditions are strange at Brownlee. The algae bloom at Brownlee in July can make it unfishable. I have used a tiny strip of perch belly( has to be the belly with white skin on ) and added it to my jig to get them hungry. Sometimes I will cut half the length of my skirt off. Try twister tails., paddle tails along with skirts. I actually like bigger, picky crappies as a target. You need to find them, then figure them out. In a week or so, things will change dramatically out there.....I hope.
Old 06-15-2018, 12:09 PM   #48
Tch757
Fry

Has anyone been out this last week? I'm headed over to Woodhead on Monday. Crappie/catfish reports greatly appreciated!!
Tch757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:36 PM   #49
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
Brownlee is a place where sometimes anything works and sometimes nothing works. Crappies anywhere are a finicky species and right now at Brownlee the fast rising water levels have them off the bite. That being said, the guys who can shift gears and use different tackle, different techniques, different times, etc will catch fish. I will go to Hell’s Canyon Reservoir at times when conditions are strange at Brownlee. The algae bloom at Brownlee in July can make it unfishable. I have used a tiny strip of perch belly( has to be the belly with white skin on ) and added it to my jig to get them hungry. Sometimes I will cut half the length of my skirt off. Try twister tails., paddle tails along with skirts. I actually like bigger, picky crappies as a target. You need to find them, then figure them out. In a week or so, things will change dramatically out there.....I hope.

Maybe were just lucky, or it's a timing thing, but we have never experienced the nothing works at Brownlee times, some slower days for sure, & have had to change techniques at times to make it happen, the slowest days we ever had was Spring break in the mid 90's, the weather did not help, did quite well with all sorts of water level changes too, never fished at night for Crappie either, we prefer to sleep at night, have seen plenty of others fish at night for Crappie with excellent results tho, seems there are enough Crappie available this year for all hours of the day, but apparently getting them to bite during the day is another story, I wonder whats different for us daytime anglers this year?

Last edited by adrenaline; 06-15-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #50
Bert2o
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tch757 View Post
Has anyone been out this last week? I'm headed over to Woodhead on Monday. Crappie/catfish reports greatly appreciated!!
Jus got back last evening. The water levels are at or near full pool but still being messed with and the crappie bite is off. Most of fish are hanging out in deeper water and mostly in or near the main Snake. There was some nasty wind this past week and some boaters that did not make it back to the dock by dark had a pretty rough go of it beaching where they could and riding out the storm. Catfish was just as spotty as the crappie with one or two caught here & there. Campgrounds were about 90% empty with the crummy fishing.
Bert2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #51
Tch757
Fry

Thanks for the update even though that is not what I wanted to hear. The weather is not looking ideal for next week either but we are going to give it a try.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:39 PM   #52
puckfisher
Chromer

Weather should improve and get hot at week’s end. Don’t give up, they’ll turn on sooner rather than later. I’m headed back and might try Hell’s Canyon Reservoir for different species if bite still off. Chasing carp with a bow is a hoot for a change up.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:50 PM   #53
fishin
Steelhead

Heading over tomorrow for the week also. Kids have missed going for a few years. Hopefully find some fish but hopes aren't up with the poor weather report for the week.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 10:17 PM   #54
Tch757
Fry

We will be staying in D17 at Woodhead starting Monday if anyone wants to compare notes. I was told yesterday the bite is starting to pick up...fingers crossed.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:37 AM   #55
puckfisher
Chromer

Partly cloudy and mid 80’s every day from Tuesday on at Brownlee forecast for next week. Water levels have been stable for a week. Don’t wait for good reports, make some. It should be great.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #56
fishin
Steelhead

Reservoir probably rose 16 inches from Monday through Thursday when I pulled the boat out to head home. Crappie fishing was still tough. Suspended in deeper water and never able to catch more than 2 in a spot. All the ones we caught were nice fish. Bass still biting though as well as catfish. Rained in one form or another everyday. Including the classic thunderstorm, awning destroying wind, and gulley washing downpour. Finally got everything dried out today

Old 06-22-2018, 09:54 PM   #57
backcountry89
Steelhead

Where were ya at? We are heading to huntington tomorrow for cats

Lord give me grace to fish until my dying day, and when in gods great landing net...let me be judged big enough to keep. RIP Gramps
backcountry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:14 AM   #58
fishin
Steelhead

Woodhead campground

Old 06-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #59
puckfisher
Chromer

Crappies still deep. Very nice fish but no bobber bite. Bass are nice this year, three snap offs on big bass going for the speckled perch. Best bite again late evening, nobody around. Water turning green and very high with recent rains. overall a very poor year for Brownlee.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #60
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin View Post
Reservoir probably rose 16 inches from Monday through Thursday when I pulled the boat out to head home. Crappie fishing was still tough. Suspended in deeper water and never able to catch more than 2 in a spot. All the ones we caught were nice fish. Bass still biting though as well as catfish. Rained in one form or another everyday. Including the classic thunderstorm, awning destroying wind, and gulley washing downpour. Finally got everything dried out today

That's funny. I spent hours rebuilding our EZ-up after a storm that took all four folks next door to hold er down. 4 bungees with huge bungee cords, buckets filled with water did not hold. Straightened metal bars and replaced bent bolts but got it back. Had to repair awning also. The only time I ever left it up & was just coming back from fishing.