Brownlee Report - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Bass and Panfish and Walleye Oh My!

Old 03-31-2018, 02:49 PM   #1
edressen
Chromer

Default Brownlee Report

Reservoir is low so launched at moonshine mine. Fishing was slow, but they are slabs. Caught them on bobbers in the Powder arm. Caught them on the bottom at the Cemetery. ????

As usual the kids out fished us.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
edressen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 04:24 PM   #2
team anarchy
Sturgeon

Default Re: Brownlee Report

Very nice. I need to get back over there.
team anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:40 PM   #3
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by team anarchy View Post
Very nice. I need to get back over there.
Also had to launch at Moonshine today. 60 degrees, calm, overcast. Marking crappies and gettting some beauties. Avg. about 12 inches but really thick. All is well until wind, rain and 10 degree temperature drop. Still marking crappies but they have lockjaw. Gonna be a great spring here.
puckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #4
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Confirmed reservations................... tick, tock, tick, tock
JIMBOUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBOUY View Post
Confirmed reservations................... tick, tock, tick, tock
Spanked them again today. Had to work but fish showing on screen were willing to bite. Locals are worried about severe water lowering presently being done that they they say will be lowest ever. They are afraid that spawn will be destroyed when Reservoir fills and entire crappie hatch “drowned”. Better time your trip with proper water level in what might be an unusual year. Fish are definitely here and healthy.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:13 AM   #6
JIMBOUY
Chromer

STOP IT ! ! ! Your killing me here!!!! Tick, tock, tick, tock.....
Old 03-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
Kara
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by edressen View Post
Reservoir is low so launched at moonshine mine. Fishing was slow, but they are slabs. Caught them on bobbers in the Powder arm. Caught them on the bottom at the Cemetery. ????

As usual the kids out fished us.

Nice used bombers with?? If I may ask. Love the kids smiles.
Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 05:37 PM   #8
edressen
Chromer

Any jig with powerbait nibble added.

Old 03-31-2018, 05:44 PM   #9
fisher guy
Steelhead

Nice looking fish and great smiles on the kids.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:53 PM   #10
Triple Threat
Chromer

Thanks for the report.
Triple Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:18 AM   #11
adrenaline
King Salmon

Thanks for the report, getting excited just a few weeks for us, have not wet a line since Aug, even longer for my Wife.

Last edited by adrenaline; 04-04-2018 at 06:43 AM.
adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 AM   #12
edressen
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenaline View Post
Thanks for the report, getting excited just a few weeks for us, have not wet a line since Aug, even longer for my Wife. You ran all the way to the Graveyard from the Powder rv arm?
We did. With a new boat everyone was enjoying just driving around and burning up gas. It was fun I have to admit.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Kara
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by edressen View Post
Any jig with powerbait nibble added.

Thank you fond Memories for sure
Kara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
edressen
Chromer

Nice Boat, you should go Tuna fishing with it. [/QUOTE]

Fingers crossed. I only have experience fishing livey's off of a Charter, but I would really like to learn.

Old 05-25-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
Snapset
Ifish Nate

This is our second full day of our annual Brownlee Crappie trip. Yesterday day ran the boat all over the reservoir. From Powder river arm up to spring campground. Best fishing was a pull out right where the pavement ends. Averaged about 3 fish an hour. Caught some dandy smallmouth there too. Also got a 8 lb channel cat there, all on a black and green Crappie jig. Most Crappie bit at about 8 foot depth.
Looking for faster Crappie action, we headed down to Owyhee this morning. .Fishing from the shore, managed to average 4 fish per 5 casts. Only 1 of 5 was big enough to keep, and just barely.
Tomorrow I think I'll anchor the boat and try for more catfish. Weather might make that challenging.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:07 AM   #16
bcav8
Steelhead

Fished Saturday morning through Sunday morning of Memorial Weekend near Huntington from the bank. It was tough. Got 10 cats averaging 7lbs and 40 crappie. Half of the crappie weighed 1lb each. So the size is there but numbers are not. Used small chunks of American Shad for cats and all sorts of plastics for crappie. Last year we had 150 crappie for the same time frame. All the bank anglers we talked to struggled. Crappie are still deep with only a small percentage in the shallows spawning. It was far too windy and there was too much debris in the water. Maybe next year will be better. Good luck
bcav8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:06 AM   #17
shinnookums
Chromer

7 lb average catfish is great fishing! I would rather get 40 slabs than 150 dinks on the crappie any day. From the Idaho Power website it looks like the pool is almost full and the rise has slowed down the last few days. I’m heading over this weekend and hopefully it’s finally at a stable level. If not I may move elsewhere.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #18
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Was down at Hewlett Park on Sunday. Water is up, fish are biting. Only going to get better. Lots of boats showing up, going to get busy. Better get at it....
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 AM   #19
shinnookums
Chromer

Finally made it over there this past weekend. We found schools of crappie at the lower end of Oxbow Friday evening about 25-30 feet but unfortunately they had lockjaw and we only caught 4 and they were all 11-12”. We hoped the slow fishing was due to the high pressure system but but Saturday morning was even worse and we only landed one. Frustrated we moved to Brownlee and even though the water conditions were good they weren’t biting there either. We literally saw no one catch one from the bank or a boat and only one boat of the half dozen we talked to even had one. One guy in a very nice Skeeter was taking out when we were and he said in a recent bass tournament he fished there he was catching quite a few incidental 12-13” crappie and he came back to harvest some and he was also skunked. We switched over to bass in the late afternoonand caught 5 keepers and a bunch of smaller ones. Only a very small percentage of the carcasses at the cleaning station were crappie. It was mostly catfish and bass. Sunday morning we caught limits of bass and went home.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:24 AM   #20
puckfisher
Tuna!

These poor reports from Brownlee/Owbow are confusing. Crappies are big and should be turned on by now. I haven’t been there since mid April and bite was strong. This has always been a place where crappie nibbles improve the bite significantly. Color of nibbles never seemed to matter. If the bobber bite is not on, tie on two small jigs separated by 18 inches. Do not tie second jig to shank of first one. Try Powder River arm first. Medium cast away from boat and wind drift past points or into coves. Then try main body of Brownlee and look for underwater structure. I prefer the clear or opaque salt and pepper small skirts rather than wild colors. Tie up to shore and fan cast into deep water. Count to ten or more and dead slow retrieve. Fish often hit on drop but it is just a tap. No bites? Move and move again. If none of this works, try Phillips Reservoir for trout or Cascade Lake for big perch or go for cats.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #21
DogZilla15
King Salmon

The fellow at the cleaning station with all the Crappie, caught them at night.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #22
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Here since Sunday, Hewitt park. Only 8 crappie. Anchored over 150 - 200 crappie. 3 fish in 2 hours. Anchored over bunch of schools, all have lock jaw. Sitting up in powder river head waters for cats now. Nada.
No one I met catching anything. Park not half full of RVs.
We'll keep after em.
Old 06-05-2018, 02:46 PM   #23
chukardave1
Ifish Nate

Try the night bite. We struggled there a few years back then talked to some folks who were going to bed as we were loading up to head out in the morning. They did well at night and we switched our focus the last night and had a blast cats and crappie, perch too hit right before darkness fell. Wish we would have figured it out sooner.
chukardave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 02:12 PM   #24
wimjim10
Fry

Hit Oxbow the other day. Lots of decent sized bass (12-16”). Couldn’t get any crappie but wasn’t really trying. Bass are right on the bank and saw some small bluegill shallow as well. It’s really fun to just walk along the road and look down into the water and see bass, bluegill, small catfish, and of course monster carp. Opted out of going to Brownlee for the day. Oxbow was pretty busy which means Brownlee would be even more crowded. I’ve heard from a lot of people that the crappie bite is off until dark.
wimjim10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #25
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Just got back. Cut the trip because of lack of crappie. I'm probably a crappy crappie fishermen. If so, there were a lot of us crappy crappie fishermen/women up there. We did better than everyone we talked to on the water and in camp, that is sad. The folks out fishing all night did much better and had lots to show. I need my beauty sleep - if you seen me you would understand!

Caught Catfish, Blu-gill, Crappie, Bass & Trout. Just not in the numbers accustom to. I still have Shad, Clams & Wallies that need attention.

All in all, a great trip. Camping is wonderful but I have other priorities in life.
We might have to go back up when the bite turns on - they say in two weeks. Love it up there.

Now for the non-believers -- The wife and i used the new Garmin echomap SV to find the crappie schools. We found them, lots of them in 30 to 60 FOW. At times every day schools of 300 to 400. The last few days we able to pull out 10 and 11 total out of the schools. That was hours on top them. Huge, huge crappie as previously reported on here.

If your headed up you probably timed it right. Catfish in the upper Powder was ok in the evenings. Still filling the pond. Used fresh crappie/worms and managed a few nice big cats.

HEWITT CAMERA UPDATE: talked to the park manager about the camera position fixed on the tree and not the river like the old one. Here is the story; Some male individual made the bold move to "Urinate" right in front of the camera. Of course it was reported and they were motivated to move it off the original position. I do understand the perhaps the camera did cover much of space #1 and I know I would not appreciate everyone looking at my spot. There is a possibility of a second camera in the future.

Any-who, that is it. I will be back, just hope the timing is better next time. If headed up to Brownlee, those crappie are HUGE!

I can only report what I saw and did. If others differ, sorry.............

Last edited by JIMBOUY; 06-10-2018 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Information misplaced in post
Old 06-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #26
adrenaline
King Salmon

Anybody try slow trolling repalas?, it's our go to method when larger Crappie are not biting well in the shallows.
Old 06-10-2018, 03:00 PM   #27
puckfisher
Tuna!

Brownlee is a place where sometimes anything works and sometimes nothing works. Crappies anywhere are a finicky species and right now at Brownlee the fast rising water levels have them off the bite. That being said, the guys who can shift gears and use different tackle, different techniques, different times, etc will catch fish. I will go to Hell’s Canyon Reservoir at times when conditions are strange at Brownlee. The algae bloom at Brownlee in July can make it unfishable. I have used a tiny strip of perch belly( has to be the belly with white skin on ) and added it to my jig to get them hungry. Sometimes I will cut half the length of my skirt off. Try twister tails., paddle tails along with skirts. I actually like bigger, picky crappies as a target. You need to find them, then figure them out. In a week or so, things will change dramatically out there.....I hope.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:09 AM   #28
Tch757
Fry

Has anyone been out this last week? I'm headed over to Woodhead on Monday. Crappie/catfish reports greatly appreciated!!
Tch757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:36 AM   #29
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckfisher View Post
Brownlee is a place where sometimes anything works and sometimes nothing works. Crappies anywhere are a finicky species and right now at Brownlee the fast rising water levels have them off the bite. That being said, the guys who can shift gears and use different tackle, different techniques, different times, etc will catch fish. I will go to Hell’s Canyon Reservoir at times when conditions are strange at Brownlee. The algae bloom at Brownlee in July can make it unfishable. I have used a tiny strip of perch belly( has to be the belly with white skin on ) and added it to my jig to get them hungry. Sometimes I will cut half the length of my skirt off. Try twister tails., paddle tails along with skirts. I actually like bigger, picky crappies as a target. You need to find them, then figure them out. In a week or so, things will change dramatically out there.....I hope.

Maybe were just lucky, or it's a timing thing, but we have never experienced the nothing works at Brownlee times, some slower days for sure, & have had to change techniques at times to make it happen, the slowest days we ever had was Spring break in the mid 90's, the weather did not help, did quite well with all sorts of water level changes too, never fished at night for Crappie either, we prefer to sleep at night, have seen plenty of others fish at night for Crappie with excellent results tho, seems there are enough Crappie available this year for all hours of the day, but apparently getting them to bite during the day is another story, I wonder whats different for us daytime anglers this year?

Last edited by adrenaline; 06-15-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:50 PM   #30
fishin
Steelhead

Heading over tomorrow for the week also. Kids have missed going for a few years. Hopefully find some fish but hopes aren't up with the poor weather report for the week.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
fishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:17 PM   #31
Tch757
Fry

We will be staying in D17 at Woodhead starting Monday if anyone wants to compare notes. I was told yesterday the bite is starting to pick up...fingers crossed.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #32
puckfisher
Tuna!

Partly cloudy and mid 80’s every day from Tuesday on at Brownlee forecast for next week. Water levels have been stable for a week. Don’t wait for good reports, make some. It should be great.
Old 06-22-2018, 08:14 PM   #33
fishin
Steelhead

Reservoir probably rose 16 inches from Monday through Thursday when I pulled the boat out to head home. Crappie fishing was still tough. Suspended in deeper water and never able to catch more than 2 in a spot. All the ones we caught were nice fish. Bass still biting though as well as catfish. Rained in one form or another everyday. Including the classic thunderstorm, awning destroying wind, and gulley washing downpour. Finally got everything dried out today

Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 PM   #34
JIMBOUY
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin View Post
Reservoir probably rose 16 inches from Monday through Thursday when I pulled the boat out to head home. Crappie fishing was still tough. Suspended in deeper water and never able to catch more than 2 in a spot. All the ones we caught were nice fish. Bass still biting though as well as catfish. Rained in one form or another everyday. Including the classic thunderstorm, awning destroying wind, and gulley washing downpour. Finally got everything dried out today

That's funny. I spent hours rebuilding our EZ-up after a storm that took all four folks next door to hold er down. 4 bungees with huge bungee cords, buckets filled with water did not hold. Straightened metal bars and replaced bent bolts but got it back. Had to repair awning also. The only time I ever left it up & was just coming back from fishing.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:57 PM   #35
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Yeah, Dad and my trip over to Oxbow was slow for Crappies, yes they were deep, was counting to mid-20's and very slow retrieve. We probably caught 150 or so over 7 days of fishing, pretty slow for us. Fish were nice though, averaged 11.5".

Cat fishing was good, but we spent limited time after them.

We were there 3rd to 11th.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #36
backcountry89
Steelhead

Where were ya at? We are heading to huntington tomorrow for cats

Lord give me grace to fish until my dying day, and when in gods great landing net...let me be judged big enough to keep. RIP Gramps
backcountry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:14 AM   #37
fishin
Steelhead

Woodhead campground

Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM   #38
puckfisher
Tuna!

Crappies still deep. Very nice fish but no bobber bite. Bass are nice this year, three snap offs on big bass going for the speckled perch. Best bite again late evening, nobody around. Water turning green and very high with recent rains. overall a very poor year for Brownlee.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:00 PM   #39
Tch757
Fry

We stayed at Woodhead from June 18-25. Put as many hours on the water as we could. The wind and thunderstorms were not helpful. The crappie were few and far between. The few we did catch were while trolling bass plugs. Water temps were around 66-67 most of the time we were there. There was a lot of plankton in the water and the fish we caught were full of it. We did ok on the catfish. The weather settled down on Saturday and the fishing seemed to be picking up. Hopefully it gets better from here.
Old 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #40
Pelican
Steelhead

01 Aug 2018 - 5 hours of crappie fishing with Gary G. We had a absolutely epic trip!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01Aug2018.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	185.0 KB
ID:	706133  
Old 08-03-2018, 06:37 AM   #41
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
01 Aug 2018 - 5 hours of crappie fishing with Gary G. We had a absolutely epic trip!
Those may not be the biggest crappies I have seen but they may be the fattest. How many did you get in 5 hours? Any bluegills?
Old 08-03-2018, 07:27 AM   #42
Don Fischer
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
I've though about charter trip over there now and then but what are the rates? Based on the size of the catch doesn't tell me anything. If they would give a couple number's between bottom and top I could figure out if I could afford the trip.

There's a reason I like dogs better than people!
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:38 AM   #43
SlamminKokes
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
I've though about charter trip over there now and then but what are the rates? Based on the size of the catch doesn't tell me anything. If they would give a couple number's between bottom and top I could figure out if I could afford the trip.
theres a phone # right there on the sign. ill bet the charter company could answer your question.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2018, 11:47 AM   #44
Pelican
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fischer View Post
My party of 3 experienced fishermen returned home each one with about 10 lbs of fillets. There is no use to list the number of fish caught because that will certainly chamge from various factors. It is a fact that these fish are in a bracket called .... jumbo. But there are many other perks to this trip. Knowledge was shared. We now understand how to look at a display screen of crappie and differentiate between a school of biters and non-biters. What would that be worth to you in your own local fishing? We understand how to ascertain from the screen if the preferred diet of crappie are present. We fished comfortably, able to get up and stretch our legs around the pontoon boat. We fished under a shade canopy and had the use of a privately screened head if we had needed it. Our iced fish were expertly filled at a reasonable fee.
So if you want to journey to visit the guru for enlightenment, no need for you to travel to India.
For fishermen, Richland, Oregon is much, much closer.
P.S. Listen to Gary. Listen to Gary. Remember, you can't listen if your mouth is flapping away with fish stories. Listen to Gary. Ah-oooom!
Old 08-09-2018, 07:42 PM   #45
puckfisher
Tuna!

Hot as hell but fish are biting. Crappie bite is deep and spotty for jig fishing. Nobody here and main body of Brownlee in good shape but dropping every day. Bonus is many nice bluegills. More thanI have ever caught here. I start at 5 am and very comfortable until about 10. Night bite did not produce for me. Caught perch, one big cat, crappies, bass and bluegills today. Fun to find schools and mix up techniques to target different species. Stories of guys trolling #7 floating Rapala with 1/2 oz. weight hammering crappies. Just not my style.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:30 PM   #46
Quiet Riot
King Salmon

Water is pretty low, lots of weeds making catfishing pretty rough. Still managed a couple on my anual drive through overnighter from Idaho. Love me some fresh catfish cajun fried with red white and blue spuds from the garden. Highlight of the trip was watching a golden eagle snatch up a full sized mallard right beside us. What incredible power those birds have. Deer all over the shoreline in the morning, lots of life.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
Quiet Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #47
puckfisher
Tuna!

One last trip. Beautiful weather. Water in great shape, 60 degrees. Bass everywhere with some nice accidental chunky smallies while chasing crappies. The bass are the fish to target. Many bluegills and crappies schooled up once you find them. The problem is size. Got enough gills for a meal but did not get even one of those nice crappies this trip. 6 inch crappies and 5 inch gills biting multiple times on one cast once you find them but not what I was looking for. Kind of concerned that I am finding so many bluegills where I am used to finding crappies. Upside is the big gills that are there but must target them with red wigglers and little gills pick you clean often. Enough big crappies and gills left for next year but again early season water levels and weather will dictate timing of long drive east. Interested to see what happens at Prineville. Great numbers had by all. Will these fish grow into 13 inch slabs? I’m hoping. Anyone want to sink some trees?
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM   #48
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
One last trip. Beautiful weather. Water in great shape, 60 degrees. Bass everywhere with some nice accidental chunky smallies while chasing crappies. The bass are the fish to target. Many bluegills and crappies schooled up once you find them. The problem is size. Got enough gills for a meal but did not get even one of those nice crappies this trip. 6 inch crappies and 5 inch gills biting multiple times on one cast once you find them but not what I was looking for. Kind of concerned that I am finding so many bluegills where I am used to finding crappies. Upside is the big gills that are there but must target them with red wigglers and little gills pick you clean often. Enough big crappies and gills left for next year but again early season water levels and weather will dictate timing of long drive east. Interested to see what happens at Prineville. Great numbers had by all. Will these fish grow into 13 inch slabs? I’m hoping. Anyone want to sink some trees?

Thanks for all the informative reports this year, I nominate you Bass, & Panfish poster of the year really appreciate your knowledge, & willingness to share that knowledge, especially the Crappie reports, Brownlee is our favorite Crappie lake, Owyhee second, but think we'll give Prineville a try next spring for a change of scenery.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #49
backcountry89
Steelhead

Can we refresh this for 2019!?!? Will be heading out to Brownlee again this year around the weekend before 4th of July. Last year hit it on June 23rd with epic wind and no fish all day. Really need to produce a quality fishing trip for my kids ha ha. Thanks everyone for your input.

-MATT-

Lord give me grace to fish until my dying day, and when in gods great landing net...let me be judged big enough to keep. RIP Gramps
Old 06-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #50
puckfisher
Tuna!

Four day trip shrunk to one at Brownlee. Only four nice crappies. Fished hard early and late. Fish are deep and not aggressive. Nobody having luck with crappies. Bass and catfish biting. Water very high, murky and 70 degrees. Two years in a row now with no shallow bobber bite. Locals fishing all night have had success. Bluegills are numerous but on the small side. Fished Unity on way home and wind drifted wooly buggers on intermediate line. Hooked six nice trout. Very healthy. Ice fishing destination this winter. Brownlee has disappointed several trips last two years. Might look to CJ Strike in Idaho and Shasta in April for my fix in future. Manitoba walleyes were thick. 18-24 inchers all day in shallow water. Jig and minnow or minnow under bobber at creek mouths. Crazy action.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:42 AM   #51
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Four day trip shrunk to one at Brownlee. Only four nice crappies. Fished hard early and late. Fish are deep and not aggressive. Nobody having luck with crappies. Bass and catfish biting. Water very high, murky and 70 degrees. Two years in a row now with no shallow bobber bite. Locals fishing all night have had success. Bluegills are numerous but on the small side. Fished Unity on way home and wind drifted wooly buggers on intermediate line. Hooked six nice trout. Very healthy. Ice fishing destination this winter. Brownlee has disappointed several trips last two years. Might look to CJ Strike in Idaho and Shasta in April for my fix in future. Manitoba walleyes were thick. 18-24 inchers all day in shallow water. Jig and minnow or minnow under bobber at creek mouths. Crazy action.
Most dissapointing year at Brownlee in 37 years for us too, as much as I hate to say it, until things improve greatly there, we will not be going back.

Thanks for the reports.

Last edited by adrenaline; 06-15-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 AM   #52
backcountry89
Steelhead

So from the sounds of it I should probably reconsider taking my kids there in a week and a half... guess that crosses off them getting a shot at a decent catfish day. Need to come up with a good plan b camping/fishing trip. I appreciate the reports!!

-MATT-

Old 06-15-2019, 01:56 PM   #53
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry89 View Post
So from the sounds of it I should probably reconsider taking my kids there in a week and a half... guess that crosses off them getting a shot at a decent catfish day. Need to come up with a good plan b camping/fishing trip. I appreciate the reports!!

-MATT-
Catfishing should be good, Bassin too, Crappie not so good, only at night.
Old 06-15-2019, 03:51 PM   #54
backcountry89
Steelhead

Where are they hitting good? I was thinking of trying some of the pullout spots, bank fishing between the burnt river and the cemetary. I don't have much experience beyond the cemetary. Are there better areas for the catfish and bass or am I in the right ball park? Shouldn't the Carp be spawning in the shallows by now?

-MATT-

Old 06-15-2019, 03:52 PM   #55
backcountry89
Steelhead

Are you saying the crappie are only good at night or the cats and bass?

Old 06-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #56
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
You are in NE Oregon? You might try Pilcher, Wolf Creek Reservoir, Phillips Reservoir has beautiful camp sites. Plenty to choose from. Brownlee wouldn’t be my first choice with two boys.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #57
adrenaline
King Salmon

Quote:
Crappie has been best at night, Catfishing is usually best at night too, as daytime fisherpeople & night time sleepers, we only fish for Catfish early morning and late evening to just past dark, which has been good for us in late April to early May when we go, Graveyard spot is where we used to fish & camp for decades has a new owner & access is by permission only...if you can contact the owner, we did not see anybody there in early May. With the reservoir full, you don't need to use the dusty road to find Catfish, like said from farewell bend up stream to spring camp where the pavement ends should be good without all the dust, up stream from FB should be good for Catfish too, Brownlee is still a good bet for Catfish, used to be a good bet for Crappie, Crappie is our primary target, Brownlee is currently not worth the long drive for Crappie IMO. Bass fishing is best in daylight hours & usually very good fishing this time of the year, but limited from shore, a boat, raft or even a float tube will increase your odds greatly. Good Luck.

Last edited by adrenaline; 06-16-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:16 PM   #58
Team Blue Water
Steelhead

For catfishing, anywhere down river of farewell bend should be good. Bass fishing has been solid in the brownlee and oxbow pools. Just sounds like crappie is down again. I agree with pilcher and Phillips being worthwhile for trout fishing. I would probably lean more towards Phillips if it were me
Team Blue Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:33 PM   #59
backcountry89
Steelhead

Yes we are near pendleton, more than just 2 boys, got 2 boys and 2 girls ha ha and they all want to catch something!! I will do more research on those areas you guys have mentioned as well. They all have been really wanting to catch a channel cat I'm happy with either cats or bass just as long the kids enjoy themselves. Thanks for all the input!!

-MATT-

Old 06-16-2019, 04:35 AM   #60
puckfisher
Tuna!

Quote:
Yes we are near pendleton, more than just 2 boys, got 2 boys and 2 girls ha ha and they all want to catch something!! I will do more research on those areas you guys have mentioned as well. They all have been really wanting to catch a channel cat I'm happy with either cats or bass just as long the kids enjoy themselves. Thanks for all the input!!

-MATT-
What about Mc Kay? Four kids along dusty road next to Brownlee is a recipe for disaster. Perch are thick at Phillips. Also much safer.