Car Pranks in Parking Lots - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 01-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #1
Soulakala
King Salmon

Default Car Pranks in Parking Lots

I was talking with another ifisher today and the conversation came around to bad parking and folks parking in handicap spots. That reminded me of someone I knew that carried with him a small floor jack and some 8x8 wood blocks in the back of his pickup. I asked him one day why did he carry around that stuff. His answer made me smile. He said when he saw someone do one of those two parking spots for one car or a car in a handicap spot he got out his trusty floor jack and jacked up the vehicle. Mind you this was in the era of rear wheel drive cars. Once the axle was up he installed the block or blocks so one or both rear wheels were just off the ground. Then he left. I asked him if he ever watched the outcome. He said no need to as it satisfied his need to intervene and add a lesson to the drivers experience.

Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 03:58 PM   #2
Dave G
King Lingcod

Default Re: Car Pranks in Parking Lots

I have a coloring pictures cut out in my car that I put under their windshield wiper. They can take it home and practice to color within the lines and hopefully it will help them park within the lines next time.

Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:11 PM   #3
Rocklock
Tuna!

So the solution to a blocked handicapped parking space is to make sure it stays blocked even longer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #4
Sneaker
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklock View Post
So the solution to a blocked handicapped parking space is to make sure it stays blocked even longer?

More time for parking LE to show up.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #5
Fishfeet
King Salmon

Isn't it just easier to peel off their license plate stickers, and let the cops get em?
OOPS AUPS.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:42 PM   #6
Rocklock
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaker View Post
More time for parking LE to show up.
Not if he just leaves and doesn't bother to call them. Sorry, this "prank" just wasn't thought thru very well.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:50 PM   #7
Nightvisionary
Chromer

The term "Handicapped" is outdated and offensive to many. "Disabled" is the preferred and correct term.
Nightvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:18 PM   #8
duckslayer
Tuna!

In high school, our principal drove a geo metro. It wasn't uncommon to see a group of guys lift it over the parking curb and set it down high centered. Of course I was never a part of this.
duckslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #9
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

In high school one of the girls drove a Honda CVCC. A few guys could pick it up and turn it sideways in the parking spot. Then pull into the spots on either side.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
gettin' fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:52 PM   #10
jimh
King Salmon

When I was in college, I got blocked in on the street in my Jeep. I had to leave to go to work. Just put it in 4L and left that car in the intersection. He/she was already illegally parked, but I made it more obvious. Don't know if they got a ticket or not.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:06 PM   #11
Chad D.
Chromer

I’ve been known to clear out the shopping cart corral and stand them on their backs all around these vehicles in disabled spots.

Or park with my passenger door about 3” from their driver door, if I can get my truck all the way in the adjacent spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:19 PM   #12
Chad D.
Chromer

I’ve also been known to sit in my truck in the lot and wait for the tantrum when said D-bag has to move the carts...

Other shoppers seem to understand exactly what happened and get a good chuckle out of it.

Chad D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:49 PM   #13
Snopro
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad D. View Post
I’ve been known to clear out the shopping cart corral and stand them on their backs all around these vehicles in disabled spots.

Or park with my passenger door about 3” from their driver door, if I can get my truck all the way in the adjacent spot.
Great stuff. I wonder if you've ever done that to anyone who just forgot to put up their Disabled Parking permit.
Snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #14
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Duckslayer and Gettin' Fishy.... There was this gal in high school who used to not park her VW between the lines and it used to share space with my spot. I always hauled around a bunch of guys and we'd lift her VW then lower it over the concrete bumpers. I don't know how many times we'd go through this routine, maybe three times a week. She never learned....
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:01 PM   #15
Bankbound
Tuna!

I’ve read a few great ways to get shot so far, pictures or none of this has happened
Old 01-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #16
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I stuck a piece of coat hanger wire through a U-joint one time.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:52 PM   #17
ampersat
King Salmon

The days are long but the years are short.
ampersat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #18
Buccaneer
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
The term "Handicapped" is outdated and offensive to many. "Disabled" is the preferred and correct term.
Sheesh! The PC police has invaded iFish.
Buccaneer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 10:09 PM   #19
Bankbound
Tuna!

AMPERSAT FOR THE WIN!!!

Old 01-06-2020, 11:35 PM   #20
Josh Fisherman
Tuna!

Am I the only one who has ever wanted to remove a couple valve stem cores?
Learned #71 "Fish Whistle"

Traditional Dory Experience Provider
Josh Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:17 AM   #21
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I remember the zip tie around the drive shaft, nice little noise maker. And pounding in potatoes into the exhaust pipe - it can have undesired consequences!
Old 01-07-2020, 06:19 AM   #22
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post

I hope it was one of those HD ties that nearly require wire clippers to cut.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:35 AM   #23
Halle the Hound
Tuna!

A long zip tie on the driveline or fifty feet of caution tape tied off and loosely tucked under the rear bumper, has always worked well for me. Nothing like being in heavy traffic, looking in your rearview mirror and seeing caution tape whipping around. One of the guys I did this to was on top of the Rainier Bridge when he spotted it, with no place to pull over.
Halle the Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #24
DogZilla15
King Salmon

It was many years before the zip tie was invented when I did that. Had to use the technology that was available at the time..... before 1970. That's almost pre-history.

Yea, Amp for the win.

There's been a couple of times at the West Boat Basin in Astoria where I coulda exercised my evil ways appropriately had I been prepared. Was left with nothing more than leaving nasty notes on windshields.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:38 AM   #25
orarcher
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Happened a LONG time ago
Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty.
orarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:50 AM   #26
rowmanholiday
King Salmon

Not a parking lot prank, but one of my brothers, while driving for a now demolished Portland bakery, took a fork lift and put his supervisors car in the freight elevator, sideways.

I think everybody but the supervisor thought it was funny!

rowmanholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #27
dirtman
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Your are apparently not a "Woke" fisherman.
dirtman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:19 AM   #28
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

Back in the day when I drove junker cars I would do this once in awhile, when parked in a store parking lot and the guy parking next to me would bang the side of my car with his door when getting out, I would reach over and unlatch the passenger door then kick it open with my foot when he was about a car length away.
What I hate even worse than the idiots (sorry PC folks) that park in disabled parking spots are the other idiots that park in between them where the no parking lines are painted. If I see someone that did or is doing this I will let them know it is unlawful to park there and will give them the
Evil Eye" until thy move.

Never underestimate the power of a 70 yr old guy in a full size Dodge 4X4 giving the "Evil Eye".
Old 01-07-2020, 10:39 AM   #29
Geemo
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa Jon View Post
Never underestimate the power of a 70 yr old guy in a full size Dodge 4X4 giving the "Evil Eye".
I'd move from a regular parking spot if given this evil eye
Geemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #30
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Quote:

Bad Dog! That's positively evil. I love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampersat View Post

Amp for the win!!!
Old 01-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #31
Nightvisionary
Chromer

Many years ago I made a license plate cover out of cardboard and taped it to a co-workers rear license plate. In bold letters it said:

*SOVEREIGN CITIZENS MILITIA COMMANDER*

POLICE STOPS OR CONTACT NOT AUTHORIZED

On his way home he got stopped, sternly
Nightvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #32
plumbertom
Steelhead

Okay, I'm gonna toss in my two cents about those ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking spaces.
I have had and used ADA parking placards for over ten years. I do not have a visible disability, well other than a limp, that most people would recognize by watching.
I do however become quite winded and begin to experience pain after walking a short distance. Like a trip to the supermarket. By the time I make it to the back of the store I'm normally in considerable discomfort,even with the shopping cart to lean on.
When I lived in CA I had ADA Plates on both my truck and my Harley. Many people would get offended at the idea that I was able to ride a motorcycle and still claim a disability. I've even been told by cops that I didn't look to be disabled. Of course my standard response would always be "And you base that opinion on how many years of Med school?".
But here in OR you must use a placard which you hang from your mirror to properly display.
Now I get annoyed by having that hanging from my mirror while driving so I always remove it and store it above my sunglass holder. But once in a while I do forget to hang it when I park. That oversight has brought me plenty of rude remarks by idiots that thing they has some business telling others how they must behave.
I realize OR is a mostly liberal state and liberals all seem to believe it's their right to force others to bend to their personal ideas of "proper behavior" but making rude and wiseacre comments about something you have no clue about or ability to judge is overstepping the bounds of true proper behavior.
And attempting to cause trouble for a disabled persons Vehicle should be a felony that gets you no less than one year in the county jail or state prison.

Last edited by plumbertom; 01-07-2020 at 12:39 PM.
plumbertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:51 PM   #33
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Plumber: And that's why I keep my mouth shut. Honestly, I don't recall seeing a vehicle without the placard parking in a handicap spot but I do see people getting out of vehicles with no visible handicap. I mean none. You'd think they could make the effort to fake a limp. If there it is abuse, its probably coming from those who upon occasion do drive for a handicap person and utilize the placard for their own behalf. I need the exercise, I'd rather walk from the back 40 even when I had the placard. I still struggle a little bit getting in and out of a vehicle and walk sort of weird but I don't see it as being handicapped.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:04 PM   #34
Pinstriper
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
Okay, I'm gonna toss in my two cents about those ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) parking spaces.
I have had and used ADA parking placards for over ten years. I do not have a visible disability, well other than a limp, that most people would recognize by watching.
I do however become quite winded and begin to experience pain after walking a short distance. Like a trip to the supermarket. By the time I make it to the back of the store I'm normally in considerable discomfort,even with the shopping cart to lean on.
When I lived in CA I had ADA Plates on both my truck and my Harley. Many people would get offended at the idea that I was able to ride a motorcycle and still claim a disability. I've even been told by cops that I didn't look to be disabled. Of course my standard response would always be "And you base that opinion on how many years of Med school?".
But here in OR you must use a placard which you hang from your mirror to properly display.
Now I get annoyed by having that hanging from my mirror while driving so I always remove it and store it above my sunglass holder. But once in a while I do forget to hang it when I park. That oversight has brought me plenty of rude remarks by idiots that thing they has some business telling others how they must behave.
I realize OR is a mostly liberal state and liberals all seem to believe it's their right to force others to bend to their personal ideas of "proper behavior" but making rude and wiseacre comments about something you have no clue about or ability to judge is overstepping the bounds of true proper behavior.
And attempting to cause trouble for a disabled persons Vehicle should be a felony that gets you no less than one year in the county jail or state prison.

Hear, hear !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:06 PM   #35
Don G Baldi
King Salmon

Tom, understand your comments. Not all disabilities are readily visible but still severely restrict a person's ability to walk very far. COPD is one. About the hanger, it seems Oregon stopped issuing disabled license plates. I'm sure I've seen them but just checked and that no longer seems to be an option.

A plate would make a lot of sense for someone that drove only one vehicle that was driven only by them. Problem is, anyone driving that vehicle would be able to take advantage of the restricted parking spots.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:21 PM   #36
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

The one that we use is for my wife that is truly disabled . She can barely walk even with her cane. The placard is in her name and can only be used for her. I will sometimes drop her off closer to the door and then find a disabled spot. When I get out of the car I may limp some but the placard can only be used for her no matter who is driving. If you park illegally at Gateway Freds more than likely the nice older Gentleman will give you a lecture and a ticket.
When I go to the store by myself I do not use it , We also do not park in one marked "wheelchair only)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:25 PM   #37
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don G Baldi View Post
A plate would make a lot of sense for someone that drove only one vehicle that was driven only by them. Problem is, anyone driving that vehicle would be able to take advantage of the restricted parking spots.
Even with a plate the disabled party will still need to be there either as a driver or passenger, The placard and plate are registered to the disabled driver license or ID#.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #38
Pinstriper
Chromer

Our placard is my wife’s and it moves with her between cars. I either drop her off and park in disabled if possible, or park there to start. Occasionally she will stay in the car and I have only parked her there in case she decides she needed to walk in and see something for herself after all.

People need to mind their own business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #39
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
The one that we use is for my wife that is truly disabled . She can barely walk even with her cane. The placard is in her name and can only be used for her. I will sometimes drop her off closer to the door and then find a disabled spot. When I get out of the car I may limp some but the placard can only be used for her no matter who is driving. If you park illegally at Gateway Freds more than likely the nice older Gentleman will give you a lecture and a ticket.
When I go to the store by myself I do not use it , We also do not park in one marked "wheelchair only)

I think the placard is the way to do it. Example my wife picks up her sister for grocery shopping and her sister is disabled both for heart and hips, she needs a cane to walk and can't go very far. So when she takes her sister they take along the placard and hang it in our car. Since my wife is not disabled some might question the placard but it belongs to her sister and is only used when her sister is in the car.

Yesterday while my wife was in the hospital for some tests along comes a pickup parks in the reserved for van spot and because it was raining like the devil he sprints into the building. By the way this spot is nearest the entry door. I decided to get a cup of free coffee in the entry and walk by the truck - no placard of any kind or plate designation. I went back to my truck to wait. Sure enough here he comes jumps into his truck and leaves. At least I didn't see anyone in van needing the spot.

I have a soft spot for these parking spots as a very good but now deceased disabled vet buddy drove a pickup which he had a van placard. He would back into these spots then open his door and proceed to assemble his wheel chair from behind the seat alongside the truck. It took him a while to do it but as he said he felt less handicapped this way.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:35 PM   #40
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

The passenger side of my daily driver is pretty banged up from the previous owner. At work if is see someone on the line or over the line on the driver's side and the spot next to it is open. I will park a few inches from that car. I wasted most of a lunch break on day watching one of the ladies try to figure out how to get into her car. It never dawned on her to go through the passenger door.

Old 01-08-2020, 05:52 AM   #41
Ichthyolic
Tuna!

It could be that when that lady parked on or close to the line, she did so because the car on the other side of her parked close to the line or on the line so she had to compensate.
I see this all the time. People cannot park between the lines very well anymore.
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys
Ichthyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #42
Soulakala
King Salmon

If people only knew that on these newer vehicles a paint chip can cost you over $2,000. I should know the Port of Newport chipped my truck with a few rocks thrown from a weed wacker as I drove by and their insurance group paid for the damage.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:35 AM   #43
Roady
Chromer

Default Car Pranks in Parking Lots

If in downtown Portland, placing a bunch of Trump stickers on the offender’s vehicle should quickly draw a crowd. Stand back and watch the calamity ensue.

(This message has not been approved by any political party)

My wife and I always joke that when we are ready for a new car, we will do this with our old one.

Last edited by Roady; 01-08-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Roady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #44
PaPa Jon
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roady View Post
If in downtown Portland, placing a bunch of Trump stickers on the offender’s vehicle should quickly draw a crowd. Stand back and watch the calamity ensue.

(This message has not been approved by any political party)

My wife and I always joke that when we are ready for a new car, we will do this with our old one.

I am staying away from this one, but it isn't easy
Old 01-08-2020, 10:13 AM   #45
Roady
Chromer

Quote:
I am staying away from this one, but it isn't easy

Don’t hold back!!

Old 01-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #46
plumbertom
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthyolic View Post
It could be that when that lady parked on or close to the line, she did so because the car on the other side of her parked close to the line or on the line so she had to compensate.
I see this all the time. People cannot park between the lines very well anymore.
This is another good point.I often will park as far away as I can from drivers side so I can get my truck door fully open to get in and out. It's not because I want to make it hard for the person next to me I just need the door widely open to avoid risk of a fall getting in or out.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:00 PM   #47
biofisher
Steelhead

Quote:

How many liberals do you think are commenting on here? My guess is most of them are card-carrying libertarians or republicans. But I do understand if you would have commented that republicans were the ones enforcing "proper behavior" your comment would land you in IFISH jail...
biofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:04 PM   #48
Hydrophilic
Tuna!

I used to find relatively empty parking lots and watch for cars / trucks that were parked a ways away from the store entrance. Always made sure there were plenty of open parking spaces around, especially up closer to the store.

When the people started walking back towards their vehicle I would pull up nearby and put my turning signal on, claiming their spot. Always got the most puzzled looks, both when they were walking to their vehicle and after I parked in their spot! Those were the days

Last edited by Hydrophilic; 01-08-2020 at 02:07 PM.
Hydrophilic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:02 PM   #49
Denneroll
Chromer

Target stores parking lot prank is to make Model A size parking spots and then watch soccer moms and suburban cowboys try and park their SUV’s and Super Trucks and then get out of the vehicle.

Denneroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:43 PM   #50
Cookieman
Ifish Nate

Hope none of you are ever handicapped!

I don't always tell people where I fish, but when I do, its a lie!
Cookieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:38 AM   #51
Soulakala
King Salmon

If all stores just added the double line at the parking spots like Costco in Warrenton has it helps with keeping cars corralled. When I had my crew cab dodge with the long box I usually pulled thru a spot but left the back of the truck partially in the spot I drove thru. If I didn't my truck would stick out into the travel lane making it a target for sure. Some folks would still park behind the truck and they ended up sticking out into the lane. Parking lot designers must be using Smart cars as their design criteria as it seems the stalls are getting tighter.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #52
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I got a ticket at a Tri-Met lot for using two spaces. I wrote 'em a note saying my truck is longer than the space provided and to avoid it sticking out into cross traffic, I need to park the way I did. They kept the fine. If it happens again, I'm not paying.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:11 AM   #53
gettin' fishy
Sturgeon

Just hang the rear out. My truck doesn't fit in a spot either.

Old 01-10-2020, 08:33 AM   #54
Ichthyolic
Tuna!

Quote:
I got a ticket at a Tri-Met lot for using two spaces. I wrote 'em a note saying my truck is longer than the space provided and to avoid it sticking out into cross traffic, I need to park the way I did. They kept the fine. If it happens again, I'm not paying.
After all, Tri-Met busses never impede traffic....
Well it's all right, even if you're old and grey. Well it's all right, you still got something to say. Well it's all right, remember to live and let live. Well it's all right, the best you can do is forgive. End of the Line-The Traveling Wilburys
Ichthyolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #55
Joe Schwab
King Salmon

Boy oh boy! Some of the same posters here get upset at Police officers enforcing minor laws. At least with a ticket your vehicle is not getting trashed! My wife and I both have placards. If I ever caught some yahoo dinking with my prize vehicle in a parking lot I may have to forget my numb legs, bone cancer issues and all around fatigue that comes with getting old and see if I can still inflict damage. The parking lot POLICE are alive! MYODB! There are times we have forgotten to put the placard up. HORRORS!
Most Police Officers look inside to see if that is the case. But no! Not IFISH Police. I’m glad I never worked with anyone who thought pranking a violators car was clever. I can assure you if you had worked for me it would not be for long.

Life is short. It’s even shorter if you’re stupid! Sorry for offending anyone.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:43 AM   #56
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post

Handicapped is a perfectly fine and accurate term. Many refuse to accept the term disabled because of the stigma and negative self-image associated with it. Oh well.
Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:19 AM   #57
plumbertom
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Guy View Post
Handicapped is a perfectly fine and accurate term. Many refuse to accept the term disabled because of the stigma and negative self-image associated with it. Oh well.
Actually the PC term is physically challenged.
Not being one to care one whit about being PC I could care less how someone refers to me so long as they do nothing to add problems to what is already a difficult life.

Last edited by plumbertom; 01-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #58
Soulakala
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Schwab View Post
Boy oh boy! Some of the same posters here get upset at Police officers enforcing minor laws. At least with a ticket your vehicle is not getting trashed! My wife and I both have placards. If I ever caught some yahoo dinking with my prize vehicle in a parking lot I may have to forget my numb legs, bone cancer issues and all around fatigue that comes with getting old and see if I can still inflict damage. The parking lot POLICE are alive! MYODB! There are times we have forgotten to put the placard up. HORRORS!
Most Police Officers look inside to see if that is the case. But no! Not IFISH Police. I’m glad I never worked with anyone who thought pranking a violators car was clever. I can assure you if you had worked for me it would not be for long.

Life is short. It’s even shorter if you’re stupid! Sorry for offending anyone.

Whine, whine get this boy some cheese.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #59
Lucky Guy
King Salmon

Quote:
Actually the PC term is physically challenged.
Not being one to care one whit about being PC I could care less how someone refers to me so long as they do nothing to add problems to what is already a difficult life.

If it's physical that's good as any. That's kinda my point, it's personal to each person. A caring, person-centered approach is to follow their lead and not try to characterize it, much less pronounce to them or anyone that there is a correct word with which to categorize them. My wife worked as a phys disability and rehab therapist for about 35 years, all ages. Her experience is that many (most?) don't want any such term applied to them, just want to be treated as a person and get on with it.

It can be inspirational, check this guy out. ADVENCHAIR Zero quit, all heart. He just won a local startup/investor forum with a product arising out of a brain stem stroke he had years ago. Medically he is "totally disabled." He's not having any of it.

Pic from his first try at the Bright Angel Trail at the Grand Canyon.

Lucky Guy is offline   Reply With Quote