Hunting out of a travel trailer during very cold weather - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-06-2020, 04:44 PM   #1
Radke
Ifish Nate

Default Hunting out of a travel trailer during very cold weather

I'm thinking of applying for an EO elk hunt that occurs in December. It would be a solo hunt, so instead of taking my wall tent and all the accouterments, I'm cogitating taking my travel trailer. I did this for a late season deer hunt in the white river unit, and it worked out great, but I didn't encounter the cold weather I would expect for this possible upcoming hunt.

Have any of you folks tried hunting out of a travel trailer in weather than drops down to the mid teens, and if you did, how did you keep water in your fresh tank from freezing? I can dump RV antifreeze in my holding tanks, but obviously that doesn't work for fresh water. Given that it would only be me, I could get by with a few 7 gallon water containers that I would rotate in and out of the trailer as need be, keeping them near a heater, but that would not be ideal.

gradke

Radke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Oregon huntin
Fry

Default Re: Hunting out of a travel trailer during very cold weather

I’ve used strips of plywood all the way around my trailer to block the wind from blowing under and freezing things. It actually worked really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oregon huntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:02 PM   #3
OSU Fisher
Steelhead

We do it multiple times a year. Helps if its a 4 season trailer. Heated holding tanks, underbelly, etc. We use every amenity. We leave the furnaces on as low as they will go 24/7 and use buddy heaters on top of that at night to make the temps very comfortable. We dont have any issues and ate usually in the single digits atleast once a year. We do bring plenty of extra propane.

Last edited by OSU Fisher; 01-06-2020 at 05:03 PM.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2020, 05:06 PM   #4
backcountryhunter5
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon huntin View Post
I’ve used strips of plywood all the way around my trailer to block the wind from blowing under and freezing things. It actually worked really well.

custom cut plywood pieces or bales of straw - trailers and cold temps are a troubling combo - I lived in a modern fifth wheel year around at west side hatcheries for near 5 years and plywood kept me unfrozen but I was hooked to pressurized water so I left faucets trickle, I'd ask a logger if you know one, they would know as good as anyone what tricks there are
backcountryhunter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:20 PM   #5
wildwood
Ifish Nate

I did an elk hunt in Idaho this year and it never got above 40 during the days and was in the low teens in the evening. I did not use me water or my fresh water holding tanks, as a matter of fact I had winterized my trailer prior to leaving. I took 4 6 gallon water jugs with me. I kept two in the bathroom to keep them from freezing. When one was empty I would bring a new one it. I kept two flats of water in the trailer as well. I kept two ice chests with water bottles in them. One in my truck, one outside the trailer. I used my propane furnace to heat the trailer, turned it all the way down during the day and kept it at 68 in the evening. 7 days and only used about 3 gallons of propane for the heater, fridge/freezer in the trailer for food, and cooking. The biggest battle I had was with condensation. while I slept it would build a little where the roof and wall would meet. I used a towel to dry it off. I would repeat this step in the evening. I did bring a generator with me, and could have brought a little dehydration unit, but never thought about it. I watched movies in the evening to pass the time and keep the batteries charged up since the furnace fan was using the batteries to run.

One concern that I had was snow. If you get more than 4 or 6 inches of snow it can get a little hairy towing a trailer in the mountains. Also keep in mind that the north facing slops will build ice on the roads as well so have chains for your truck and trailer.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #6
baltz526
King Salmon

The simple solution is dig a privy, Do not fill the water tank. Use the trailer like a tent. My trailer has a Convection furnace, no electricty required. If I had a modern trailer, I would just use my Buddy heater by tapping a quick connect into a propane line. I use water jugs kept from freezing inside the trailer. Canned food gets put in ice chest inside trailer. Beverages get set on floor. You can run a generator and plug in a 1500watt electric heater if it gets real cold.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:56 PM   #7
baltz526
King Salmon

PS: get a Carbon monoxide detector.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:50 PM   #8
Dan Feller
Steelhead

In ours the water tank is under the bed- if you left the heat on to 60 degrees it seems like it would be fine.
Dan Feller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #9
SouthCoastStu
Ifish Nate

When I was over in the Steens it got down to 10 degrees a few nights. I have a Bigfoot 4 season (heated tanks, thermal windows, etc.). The only issue I had was the holding tank dump valves froze There must have been some liquid left over.

I was a little nervous about the batteries holding out as the furnace ran a lot to keep it above 50 inside. I didn't want to start up the generator in the middle of the night.
SouthCoastStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 07:00 PM   #10
jimh
King Salmon

Not a problem specific to hunting. Go visit RV.net or similar sites on how to Winter camp. I use Reflextix in cabinets and under bed year round. I also cut it to fit windows and vents.

You don't have to have it warm to keep from freezing. 55 or so would be fine. If you have slides, keep them closed. You can flush with bottles of RV antifreeze without filling fresh water tank. Otherwise avoid washing dishes in the sink and avoid grey water usage.
Old 01-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #11
Whatchaketchemon
Chromer

Use your furnace at night and run a generator for an hour or two before you go to bed to keep your batteries charged. If you have 2 decent deep cycle batteries they will run the fan on your furnace all night. I have done this multiple times into the single digits and haven't ever had a problem. My water tank is under the bed and I've never had it freeze. I've had the waste in the blackwater tank freeze up a bit but after a day or two at home it thaws out and can be dumped.
Whatchaketchemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
Afb
Cutthroat

If you use straw to block wind buy it when you get to where you're going to avoid spreading noxious weeds. We hunted Zumwalt Prairie a few years ago and it was so cold the eggs froze in the cooler inside the trailer with the heat on. Temps were 10- 15 day time and -5 to -10 at night. When going into the mountains for a late hunt make sure you have chains for all drive axles. Chains for your trailer. Make sure they fit and know how to put them on before you leave. If you get a major snow dump, pack up and get out before you get snowed in. I.'ve seen it snow almost 5 ' overnight in Eastern Oregon.

Last edited by Afb; 01-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Afb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
oregonoutdoors
Tuna!

I camp in mine with the family at Mt Bachelor quite a bit during ski season with lots of friends and their trailers. If you don't have a 4 season trailer you risk damaging your trailer if you don't winterize it. A buddy heater helps drying out wet gear and getting it toasty. We winterize our trailer and just use jugs of water for drinking.
oregonoutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:07 AM   #14
BrianMaguire
King Salmon

I rented one once and froze all of the water and busted pipes and the tank. $800 in damage. It got to minus 5 degrees with a howling wind and it was far better than a tent I usually use. Maybe I was stupid but water was the biggest problem, not for lack of, just the damage. The Microwave and electric heat was well worth it though.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:35 AM   #15
Nightvisionary
Chromer

I hunted the Imnaha unit a few years ago with my 16 foot travel trailer. Temps got to 0 with the windchill. It was brutal. Our drinking water froze, propane froze. It got so cold I had a sheen of ice on the interior walls even with the catalytic heater going full blast. During the day I had the heater and stove burners going and I could still see my breath inside the trailer. We were able to keep enough water in an unfrozen state by keeping the jugs inside or right near the fire. Ice crystals were growing out of the ground, pretty cool but when the real storm started to come in we had to pull out or get stuck. Meacham pass and I-84 was a white knuckle terror. Driving through Lagrande my trailer went sideways into the opposite lane. Somehow I regained control and kept from wrecking.
Nightvisionary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
Johnandhis4x4
Chromer

as others have said, if you have a true 4 season trailer you should be fine with some precautions. Take lots of propane, a generator and some auxiliary heating source just in case.

In cold weather (below 32*) i keep my trailers temp at 60, but my trailer has a heated water tank and the furnace also is vented to my insulated underbelly to keep the black and grey warmish. I havent had any problems with freezing pipes or valves, but my trailer is very well insulated (ORV).
Old 01-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #17
uhmw
King Salmon

I would use a wall tent /stove if I expected bad weather. If your alone the camp set up will give you something to do rather than worry about your trailer and Icey roads. The drivability alone would be my main concern It can get pretty muddy if it aint cold. You could also stay in a Inn and spike camp from your rig if your hunting grounds were near a small town and the forecast was brutal. If the trend is mild take the trailer.
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:47 AM   #18
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
Somehow I regained control and kept from wrecking.
Could have been a whammy
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #19
Pinstriper
Chromer

Two cougar camps ago, my first, I had just my teardrop which of course has no plumbing to worry about and discovered:

-2F can happen even when the forecast says mid 20 lows

Keep water in your trailer, or in a cooler to prevent freezing

A 1k generator will not run a 700w electric heater due to startup surge

Heater buddy inside with you

Get a better sleeping bag

Having an enclosed hot tent as an additional outdoor room with a bigger propane heater, can give you a space that goes from 30 to 70 in 15 minutes or so.

Bonfires are a goooood thing for general sitting around camp time. Bring more than you think. Have a burn barrel to run it like a rocket.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pinstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #20
Radke
Ifish Nate

Thank you all for your response.

If I go on this hunt, I'll move the bathroom facilities out door and take water in containers. I can still benefit from a warm place to spend the long nights and cook.

I hunted for 11 days in this trailer in temps dropping only to freezing a few years back, used propane for the furnace (1 hour in the AM, 2-3 in the PM), cooking, refrig, and hot water heating. It wasn't till day 9 that I ran out of propane in my first bottle, really surprised me how long it lasted.

And as far as towing it on snow packed highway, yeah, I would avoid that like the plague. I'd watch the forecast pretty darn close.

Radke
Old 01-07-2020, 12:39 PM   #21
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Take enough of everything with you to stay an extra few days. No need to risk your life just getting home. If everything turns to crap after you get under way, don't be afraid to pull over and call it home for a while.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:44 PM   #22
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
Take enough of everything with you to stay an extra few days. No need to risk your life just getting home. If everything turns to crap after you get under way, don't be afraid to pull over and call it home for a while.
This is good advice.

also good advice is to make sure that you actually know how to put your chains on.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM   #23
Radke
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
This is good advice.

also good advice is to make sure that you actually know how to put your chains on.
For no other reason than to make sure they fit your tires. I installed mine once I got them and soon found that I needed more tighteners than what came with them.
Old 01-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #24
loper
King Salmon

Northwoods Arctic Fox immediately comes to mind with the title of this thread.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:01 PM   #25
Supertrucker
Chromer

I REALLY want a Western Range Camp trailer!
Old 01-07-2020, 02:07 PM   #26
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Northwoods Arctic Fox immediately comes to mind with the title of this thread.
My dad has a 22 ft Arctic Fox that is incredible, and he ordered a installation kit from Arctic fox that surrounds the underbelly from ground to the trailer. His has heated tanks that keep the water, waste water, and black water from freezing. All of his tanks are also installed inside of a sealed belly. These cost 25% more that most other trailers of similar size, but in my opinion are well worth the money.
Old 01-07-2020, 02:10 PM   #27
Chedster
Steelhead

We just bought a 25’ Outdoors rv that seems to be well insulated and has a freshwater tank heater. Hope to test it’s cold weather capabilities out soon. It cost more than comparable trailers but at first glance I could see why.
Chedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:28 PM   #28
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
My dad has a 22 ft Arctic Fox that is incredible...
Mine was too
Old 01-07-2020, 03:34 PM   #29
NPhunter
Chromer

I think you will be fine most years. Three of the last 5 years I've spent a week in ID Late Nov. and the warmest it got a couple of years was in the low 20's and lows in the -0, every morning the creek crossings had over 1" of ice on them from the day before. I ran the furnace and got the trailer really hot before bedtime and woke up again and ran it again about 30 minutes before waking up. It's an old trailer and will only run on 110 (battery systems bad) so I had to run the generator to run the furnace. It sat all day with zero heat which really isn't that long that time of year and is even shorter in Dec. In the morning we would have icicles hanging from the sink faucet but never had the pipes freeze at all. I did keep the hot water heater on the whole time.

IMO you could probably drive back into town and stay in a motel for close to what your going to pay to haul a trailer down depending on where your going. I went on a late whitetail hunt in Northern ID a couple years ago and didn't want to haul the trailer around with all of the snow on the ground. I stayed in a small town motel for like $40 a night and kept warm and even took my boot dryer with me to dry my boots from tromping around in the snow all day. I really can't think of anywhere in NEO thats more than an hour to motel and it will be dark by 4:30 and wont be light until 7:00 so you have lots of waking hours to drive.
NPhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 03:46 PM   #30
uhmw
King Salmon

Small town hotel with a small town tavern I here the poker machines are way luckier in a small town
uhmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:16 PM   #31
Extrapale
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supertrucker View Post
I REALLY want a Western Range Camp trailer!
Yes! Trailer with a woodstove. Spendy suckers though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
Hunter and anglers actively support wildlife conservation through tangible actions such as buying licenses and paying taxes on hunting, fishing and shooting equipment. Why? Because people place added value on — and are willing to pay for — what they can use.
Extrapale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #32
Maverick Maxcat
Ifish Nate

I have been spending large amounts of time......like months each year.... in RV's in the fall and winter. 30 below zero is common. My camper is a Snow River, with all the tanks and VALVES in a heated basement. As long as the furnace runs everything is good. My trailer is one I designed and custom built. All tanks and valves inside the heated shell, big forced air propane furnace, and a ceiling fan. Very comfortable living.

If your rig is not set up this way, drain and winterize your plumbing. Pitch your grey water out the door, all potty functions outside as well. Catalytic heaters and Buddy heaters will keep you warm, but the moisture they produce is inside your living space, causing huge condensation issues and making clothes drying difficult. Pick an RV with an exterior vented furnace, just run a generator enough to keep the batteries up. Keep drinking water, canned drinks, fresh vegetables and produce out of closets and up off the floor to prevent freezing. The old units I had didn't have much insulation in the walls, none in the floor, so things would freeze even in the heated spaces. Still, beats the daylights out of a tent!
Maverick Maxcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:50 PM   #33
Afb
Cutthroat

For chains I run cam-lock chains from a semi cut down to fit my tires. They ride a bit rougher but they get better bite a and don't wear out so quick. Also, throw in some rubber bungies as tensioners. 2-3 per tire.

If your solo on a back country hunt, make sure you take and CARRY an EPERB at all times. OR a Sat Phone. Just in case Mr Murphy decides to drop in on your hunt.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #34
Cathunter1
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afb View Post

If your solo on a back country hunt, make sure you take and CARRY an EPERB at all times. OR a Sat Phone. Just in case Mr Murphy decides to drop in on your hunt.
Mr.Murphy sucks ,hate that dude .
Cathunter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #35
James in Idaho
Sturgeon

I've camped in the winter for years in a tent trailer...helps to be a little nuts. Best I've done was -24, trust me, that was COLD. I've never used the on board water systems after about September, and the two I've owned haven't had bathrooms. Getting ready to head out in 10 days to steelhead fishing.

Everything that has been said is correct, I use a Wave 8 heater now, but have a tank top heater as a back up. I have an electric "milk house" heater which my Honda 2000 can run just fine. It also runs my boot dryer...which is fantastic. With unvented propane you get one pound of water for every pound of propane burned. Condensation is an issue, we mop the tent and roof frequently or it can turn into a rain forest. I have an excellent -30 bag (bought after the -24 trip). I use water jugs, and except for the -24 trip, I've never had a problem having water available. I keep a big stainless steel boiler full in case the temp drops suddenly, I can at least have that if everything freezes. Food is kept in coolers, thaw your steaks and hamburger before your trip, they won't thaw in your camper. In the past I haven't run the heat while sleeping, but with the Wave heater I have. The Wave doesn't really make it "warm" but it knocks the chill off. The heater in the current trailer doesn't work, and at 21 years old, not sure it's worth replacing.

The -24 trip turned miserable and I bagged it a couple of days early. EVERYTHING froze...food, water, canned goods. Right before I called it I was tying on a new rig to fish a run, popped a beer open and it was frozen before I got the rig tied up. Even I'm not that stupid!

I enjoy winter camping, the crowds are not around, you see a lot of cool stuff and usually you have any run you want to yourself. But I'm thinking of moving up to a hard side trailer. Last year mule deer hunting in late November, I'm beginning to think I'm getting too old for a tent trailer. I wasn't miserable, but it has me thinking. Anyone want a 1998 Jayco tent trailer, 12' with a slide? I'd make a deal!

Uncork the Snake!
James in Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #36
OSU Fisher
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick Maxcat View Post
I have been spending large amounts of time......like months each year.... in RV's in the fall and winter. 30 below zero is common. My camper is a Snow River, with all the tanks and VALVES in a heated basement. As long as the furnace runs everything is good. My trailer is one I designed and custom built. All tanks and valves inside the heated shell, big forced air propane furnace, and a ceiling fan. Very comfortable living.

If your rig is not set up this way, drain and winterize your plumbing. Pitch your grey water out the door, all potty functions outside as well. Catalytic heaters and Buddy heaters will keep you warm, but the moisture they produce is inside your living space, causing huge condensation issues and making clothes drying difficult. Pick an RV with an exterior vented furnace, just run a generator enough to keep the batteries up. Keep drinking water, canned drinks, fresh vegetables and produce out of closets and up off the floor to prevent freezing. The old units I had didn't have much insulation in the walls, none in the floor, so things would freeze even in the heated spaces. Still, beats the daylights out of a tent!

For myself and my dad its been the opposite with heaters and moisture. We always had condensation issues with the regular furnace. Once we switched to the buddy's at night we've had zero problems.
OSU Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #37
Johnandhis4x4
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chedster View Post
We just bought a 25’ Outdoors rv that seems to be well insulated and has a freshwater tank heater. Hope to test it’s cold weather capabilities out soon. It cost more than comparable trailers but at first glance I could see why.
I love mine, I have a 27BDHS
Old 01-08-2020, 11:58 AM   #38
Big Willie
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radke View Post
I'm thinking of applying for an EO elk hunt that occurs in December. It would be a solo hunt, so instead of taking my wall tent and all the accouterments, I'm cogitating taking my travel trailer. I did this for a late season deer hunt in the white river unit, and it worked out great, but I didn't encounter the cold weather I would expect for this possible upcoming hunt.

Have any of you folks tried hunting out of a travel trailer in weather than drops down to the mid teens, and if you did, how did you keep water in your fresh tank from freezing? I can dump RV antifreeze in my holding tanks, but obviously that doesn't work for fresh water. Given that it would only be me, I could get by with a few 7 gallon water containers that I would rotate in and out of the trailer as need be, keeping them near a heater, but that would not be ideal.

gradke

Have spent many cold weather hunting trips in our '4 season' Nash, I think 9F was the coldest. Very well insulated.
Everything worked and nothing froze provided the furnace was on to keep the tanks and valves warm.
Tips:
Make sure everything is in good working order
2 6volt batteries provide longer life between charging
A generator is a must, 2K minimum 3-4K ideal. Run it as much as possible. Make sure it is also in good running order.
An extra propane tank is a good idea

Getting your rig to camp and back is a different challenge. Chains for truck and trailer is also a good idea, as said make sure they fit. If your truck is diesel powered think about some anti-gel treatment for the fuel.

Team crappy coffee
Big Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #39
tinbender
Steelhead

Elk Season cow tags this year. 5 degrees coldest we saw. Bigfoot Camper. Ran Honda generator in evening charged batteries. Kept furnace on really low, during the day. Week long hunt about 8 gallons of propane. All tanks worked fine, toilet worked. The big point maker with the wife however was the electric blanket that warmed the bed up before crawling in. After it was warmed up the blankets were plenty. Yea getting old and spoiled, but the warmed up bed my wife really appreciated, and must admit it wasn't bad. ( this year she didn't have to wait for a hot flash before turning in ) .
tinbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #40
elkhuntinfool
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhmw View Post
Small town hotel with a small town tavern I here the poker machines are way luckier in a small town
My kind of town!
elkhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #41
elkhuntinfool
Steelhead

You need to invest in an Artic Fox, Nash or Outdoor RV. All are built in LaGrande OR by the same parent company. They are true four season campers.
you pay a bit more but you get true 4 season camping. Ty are truly built o take all winter can dish out.
I have a Outdoors RV a Outdoors RV Trail 29 TRX on order just for this type of use. They build a true four season RV . Take a look
elkhuntinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #42
SImudBogger
Brood stock

I’d get a nice air BnB with a hot tub, satellite dish, and espresso machine. A treager and WiFi would be nice, but I’m huntin’, don’t want to be too comfy...

Old 01-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #43
Afb
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Willie View Post
Have spent many cold weather hunting trips in our '4 season' Nash, I think 9F was the coldest. Very well insulated.
Everything worked and nothing froze provided the furnace was on to keep the tanks and valves warm.
Tips:
Make sure everything is in good working order
2 6volt batteries provide longer life between charging
A generator is a must, 2K minimum 3-4K ideal. Run it as much as possible. Make sure it is also in good running order.
An extra propane tank is a good idea

Getting your rig to camp and back is a different challenge. Chains for truck and trailer is also a good idea, as said make sure they fit. If your truck is diesel powered think about some anti-gel treatment for the fuel.
A couple spare fuel filters would be a good idea in cold weather. I've had the plug up on intermixed fuel at -10.
If it gets too cold 50/50 #1 and #2 fuel won't gel. OR Jet A.