Residency question - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 01-07-2020, 09:20 AM   #1
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Default Residency question

Before I pick up the phone and call ODFW, I thought I'd check here to see who here might know (ie Loper).

With license/tags now an electronic app, does anybody know the process of establishing residency with ODFW? Is it just drive to an ODFW office and show them documents in person?

Anybody know what all documents they'll need? ie driver's license, utility bill, etc. I can't see anything in the regulations on it.

Was a OR resident for four decades, moved to WA for work for seven years, now moving back to OR. I'm stuck in "no man's land" of not really being a resident of any state for the 2020 controlled hunt draws (as I won't be a WA resident come the fall, and OR has the 6 month waiting period so can't be a resident by the May draw). So no controlled apps for me this year, but will at least get my residency established and skip buying fishing/hunting license/tags until the fall when the 6 month waiting period is up.

backpackhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #2
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Default Re: Residency question

You aren't in no man's land. You are a WA resident until you've been here for the 6 months required.
DogZilla15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
backpackhunter
Steelhead

It's illegal to hunt on a resident deer or elk tag with a non resident drivers license. So for WA deer and elk tags, no I wont be a resident of WA per WDFW rules. I would have to buy non resident tags in both states. It is what it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Or wait out the 6 months before buying OR license as resident. As soon as you move Oregon requires DL change within 30 days. Meaning cant be a WA resident hunter/Fisher anymore 30 days after the move. So yes am a non resident of both states for DFW purposes. It is what it is. My question is relating to process on re establishing residency.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:21 AM   #5
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackhunter View Post
as I won't be a WA resident come the fall...
As he stated, you are one now.

Purchase your resident Washington license and apply for Washington controlled hunts in April 2020.

Worry about Oregon residency in 2021.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
DogZilla15
King Salmon

My response was based on when you would apply for tags, not when you'd actually purchase them. I'm assuming you can apply right now.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #7
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
My response was based on when you would apply for tags, not when you'd actually purchase them. I'm assuming you can apply right now.
In Washington the application period for the hunt year starts the 3rd week of April.
Old 01-07-2020, 10:46 AM   #8
DogZilla15
King Salmon

Gotcha....
Old 01-07-2020, 10:48 AM   #9
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Doesn't work that way. Cant apply for controlled hunts as a WA resident then hunt in the fall as a WA resident but with an OR DL. That is illegal. Cant fish as a WA resident with an OR DL either. OR requires DL change within 30 days. So yes I am correct on being in no man's land. It is what it is.

My question is about the OR residency documents requirement?
Old 01-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #10
wildwood
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Doesn't work that way. Cant apply for controlled hunts as a WA resident then hunt in the fall as a WA resident but with an OR DL. That is illegal. Cant fish as a WA resident with an OR DL either. OR requires DL change within 30 days. So yes I am correct on being in no man's land. It is what it is.

Call ODFW, or better yet go into an office and explain the situation. They have rules for this. My father-in-law went through something similar last year. ODFW got it all figured out for him in short order.

I do believe that as a resident you are able to buy a non-resident license. I know a few years back I saw Steen's Mt Outfitters advertising a tag, but it was required that the buyer buy a non-resident tag & license.

Last edited by wildwood; 01-07-2020 at 10:55 AM.
wildwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
Stonefly1
Tuna!

Quote:

Driver’s license
Power Bill in your name with your Oregon address
Rental agreement
Just to name a few.....
Stonefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #12
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:

Unless something has changed. There are no documents required, you just state where asked that on what ever method you are buying you license that you are a resisdent.
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post
Unless something has changed. There are no documents required, you just state where asked that on what ever method you are buying you license that you are a resisdent.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:04 AM   #14
Stonefly1
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Root Hog or Die View Post
Oregon Residency Requirements: To qualify as an Oregon resident, you must reside in Oregon for at least six consecutive months (excluding temporary absence) immediately prior to applying for a license, tag, or permit.

You might be asked when did first move to Oregon; you can prove that by the date your Oregon DL was issued, or utility bill in your name, a signed rental agreement, an Oregon voter registration card, etc...
Stonefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #15
Root Hog or Die
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonefly1 View Post
Oregon Residency Requirements: To qualify as an Oregon resident, you must reside in Oregon for at least six consecutive months (excluding temporary absence) immediately prior to applying for a license, tag, or permit.

You might be asked when did first move to Oregon; you can prove that by the date your Oregon DL was issued, or utility bill in your name, a signed rental agreement, an Oregon voter registration card, etc...
You might be asked, but I don't recall myself or others I was with buying a license ever being asked to provide documents. Particularly with the new web based system, doesn't it just give you a page to mark a box that you are a resident by ODFW's standards?

There are other instances where I've been asked to prove residency, but I don't recall ODFW's system every asking for it.
Root Hog or Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:28 AM   #16
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Cant apply for controlled hunts as a WA resident then hunt in the fall as a WA resident but with an OR DL.
Nobody has stated here for you to do that.

You're planning for one potential future; kudos on the planning, that being said the planning doesn't take into account other possible futures.

It's rapidly becoming apparent that you are not a preference point holder in Washington; that is part of the point of some of the responses.

Applying now (April) in Washington for quality deer, quality elk, antlered moose, bighorn ram, or mountain goat would cost you $13.70 per species.

If you do so in the future (2021), as a non-resident it will cost you $110.50 per species.

Been there, done that.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #17
444Marlin
Tuna!

You don't need any documents to buy the license for resident or non-resident. You just can't claim to be a resident in multiple states unless you fall under some of the active-duty military guidelines.
I believe I purchased the documents as a resident in OR just prior to my 6 months, but I would have qualified for a resident by the time the drawing was held and well-before the time I would have been hunting. Then I applied for controlled hunts in WA as a non-resident.

The non-resident application fees for WA are pretty darn steep in my opinion, and the odds are getting more difficult. I think 2019 was my last year for putting in for WA controlled hunts - except maybe the multi-season deer and elk. I'd be better off putting that money towards scratch-it tickets.
444Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #18
Mossyhorn
Ifish Nate

You can’t begin to become an Oregon resident until you cease being a Washington resident. You cannot take advantage of any resident benefits of Washington, during your 6 month residency gaining time period in Oregon.

When I moved to Alaska I had a trooper up there look into my residency. I had purchased an Oregon license January of 2010 to go duck hunting the last part of the season. I moved to Alaska in May 2010 and began my one year of residency probation. The trooper told me that since I had an 2010 resident license from Oregon, I couldn’t Begin to gain residency until that expired. He viewed it as me taking advantage of a resident benefit elsewhere. I argued that I wasn’t using it and therefore not taking advantage of it and he let it go.

But, if you plan on gaining residency in Oregon, then move here, get an address and a drivers license ASAP and relinquish all residency benefits from Washington. You’re right, you will be a non-resident everywhere for 6 months. ODFW is also not who you need to talk to, the state police will be the ones to interpret the law. Despite what some of the other posters have said, that’s the reality. I’ve done this twice now.
Mossyhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:31 PM   #19
Rank Amateur
King Salmon

You don't have to prove residency to apply, but you do check the box that you are. If you are found to be in violation of the law, it is not just a game violation, it is now a criminal crime. That is the hammer.

Team Fair Chase.
Team Fair Exit.
Team don't feed the trolls.
Rank Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:35 PM   #20
backpackhunter
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
Nobody has stated here for you to do that.

You're planning for one potential future; kudos on the planning, that being said the planning doesn't take into account other possible futures.

It's rapidly becoming apparent that you are not a preference point holder in Washington; that is part of the point of some of the responses.

Applying now (April) in Washington for quality deer, quality elk, antlered moose, bighorn ram, or mountain goat would cost you $13.70 per species.

If you do so in the future (2021), as a non-resident it will cost you $110.50 per species.

Been there, done that.

I had emailed ODFW, and they responded just now....very fast response time. Here's the summary: ODFW doesn't require you to show proof of residency change.

You only need to show proof of residency to a state trooper if stopped or to a judge if you get a citation.

The process is to go into your ODFW account and change your address. Then 6 months after that date, the system will allow you to buy a resident license/tags.

They confirmed you can only be a resident of one state for DFW purposes.

Since OR requires you to change your DL within 30 days of moving, I am indeed not a resident of WA state once I do that, plus WA has that 90 day intent law that also blocks me. Nor am I a resident of OR for 6 months, for residency ODFW purposes.

Regarding your other comment, I am a preference point holder in WA. The OIL tags are the only ones that would be worth paying non-resident tag prices for me (given the quality of deer/elk hunting here). Unfortunately, 7 points is nowhere near enough to realistically win a moose/sheep/goat tag. Even if I waited til April to make the move so I could do the WA controlled app for that small chance, it could be deemed a violation of Washington's regulations RCW 77.08.075 and WAC 220-220-050 for applying for and winning the resident moose tag, while knowing I was moving. (there is a 90 day "intent" rule there) Not worth the risk of prosecution. Although I may consider still applying for moose as a non-res.
Old 01-07-2020, 04:06 PM   #21
loper
King Salmon

I certainly think it would have been beneficial to state in your original post:

"I am moving to Oregon in March 2020" (or whenever you might be moving).

The open factor for me was that you stated you wouldn't be a Washington resident "in the fall"; I would have responded differently if I had read "I won't be a Washington resident in 2 months"

Only now is there clarity that you will have moved PRIOR to the application period.

It's all cool; I have over twice as many points as you do in multiple species and I dialed down my applications a couple years ago.

I'm not going to my grave without a moose like my dad went to his without an elk!
Old 01-07-2020, 04:16 PM   #22
loper
King Salmon

Quote:
Regarding your other comment, I am a preference point holder in WA. The OIL tags are the only ones that would be worth paying non-resident tag prices for me (given the quality of deer/elk hunting here).
Having drawn Palouse multiple times, the Almota late tag once and both Steptoe and Almota antlerless tags when one could take a 3-point+ buck instead, all as a non-resident, I'll state that the opportunity to deer hunt with one's dad and son is priceless.

There are only so many opening days in one's lifetime.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:01 PM   #23
TrailBlazer
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by loper View Post
i certainly think it would have been beneficial to state in your original post:

"i am moving to oregon in march 2020" (or whenever you might be moving).

The open factor for me was that you stated you wouldn't be a washington resident "in the fall"; i would have responded differently if i had read "i won't be a washington resident in 2 months" :d

only now is there clarity that you will have moved prior to the application period.

it's all cool; i have over twice as many points as you do in multiple species and i dialed down my applications a couple years ago.

I'm not going to my grave without a moose like my dad went to his without an elk!
lol