Tillamook Bay Fishing - www.ifish.net
Leave no Dog Behind

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > The Salty Dogs

Old 09-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
gatorslayer
Coho

Default Tillamook Bay Fishing

I was wondering if there are any reports from Tillamook Bay?

gatorslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
grim
Tuna!

Default Re: Tillamook Bay Fishing

I've been waiting for some word too - and outside the bar too? The rain might have moved fish up river but hopefully there are more starting to pile up.
grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
cobra
Chromer

Fished the GH and just outside yesterday, not a sniff. Saw a total of three (3) fish caught, one hog, 2 dinks. We came in at 1, fish checker said he had checked 1 fish. Checker said Saturday not any better.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #4
B. Coastal
Chromer

It's been a hit or miss thing. Last Thursday my son and a friend went and got one of about 40 chinook caught, as well as a few released fish (intentional and not). The next day, I went with he and his wife and he caught a chinook and she released an unclipped coho. Also had 2 drivebys. It was super slow for most out there, though.The checker said that ours was one of seven at 3 o'clock. Pretty proud of that son of mine outfishing most of the guides!! Looking forward to another whack at 'em Friday. Good luck everyone. Thinking it's going to be a good year in the Tilly rivers.

BC

B. Coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Bait O Eggs
King Salmon

Fishing looked pretty good with what I saw, when loading at the ramp at the end of the tuna day I see the gamie had 5 native coho in the back of his truck. Said each offense was only $435.
Old 09-25-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
Proteus503
Chromer

we ran out there today... didnt see much. Saw a couple of nooks landed and a handful of coho released. We released a coho and a jack nook.
Proteus503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #7
fishy2k
Tuna!

Just came in from fishing the Ghost Hole/ Bay City and found no love for me. Fished from 9am till 3 and saw two landed. Checker said some were checked but didn't say how many.
Old 09-26-2017, 05:54 PM   #8
pearl
King Salmon

Thing about Tillamook Bay is that by the time the hot report hits the internet you missed the hot bite.
I'm back to the grind this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 09-26-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
grim
Tuna!

[QUOTE=pearl;14707530]Thing about Tillamook Bay is that by the time the hot report hits the internet you missed the hot bite.
I'm back to the grind this weekend.]

That is very true - but I'm still considering hitting Depoe or Newport for another weekend before hitting Garibaldi for the remainder of the season. Decisions, decisions. Based on the reports, I'm still thinking I should try for near-shore halibut and then troll the mouth of Siletz or Alsea this weekend. Then head north next week. All plans subject to change up to the night before.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:43 PM   #10
NorthPlainsDrifter
Tuna!

We fished the jaws all day and seen half a dozen fish caught including the one nice coho that I landed that we had to release. The fish checker said she counted 9 nooks today but didn't even ask about our day. How do they know the count unless they ask every boat? Nice day on the bay.
NorthPlainsDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:32 AM   #11
cobra
Chromer

Fished yesterday just outside with about 40-50 other boats. Released 2 native coho, 1 black rock (south jetty tip) lost another next to the boat, 1 drive by all on herring with bling. Rod with no bling never got bit. Saw 1 nook retained. Fish checker at 1:30 had recorded 7 nooks and 3 hos. Beautiful sunshine, no fog, absolutely a flat ocean. Spotty weeds but not bad.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:24 AM   #12
Mr. Carp
Ifish Nate

Not much for reports on here. I'll be down there Thursday through Sunday. Deep open sled with a slight turned up nose with a 200 V-max on the back. Wave and give me all of your hot tips!
Ifish Member #3257
"A critic is a legless man who teaches running" Anonymous
Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?
Team Banana Oil
Mr. Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #13
grim
Tuna!

There were a few being caught last Saturday in the Ghost hole but nothing much doing between the jetties or in the Coast Guard hole. Couldn't get outside but I'm hoping they let us out Saturday (Sunday looks better but I won't be there). I'm headed back for Saturday. I'm in a dark blue 22' NR Seahawk with a radar arch - "O-Sea-D" on the side. Say Hi (unless I'm doing something really stupid at the moment) and Good luck.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
I'd rather fish
Steelhead

I've got a DB with a kicker and was thinking of fishing the "picket fence" putting in at Memaloose Point. Only thing I know about the area is it can get real shallow. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
I'd rather fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
flatman
King Salmon

no sweat with that boat.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #16
grim
Tuna!

Don't know if anyone is still following this thread but there was a fair bite today at Garibaldi. We brought home two Chinook and quick released another one at the net last thing tonight. We released several silvers as well.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:55 AM   #17
Tony Micelli
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim View Post
Don't know if anyone is still following this thread but there was a fair bite today at Garibaldi. We brought home two Chinook and quick released another one at the net last thing tonight. We released several silvers as well.
We fished yesterday. I think I recall seeing your boat up by the Ghost Hole or Oyster House. In fact, it stood out to me. We were in a nondescript Super Vee.

We fished that area through high slack with no love. Saw few fish caught. Went down to the tower for the outgoing. Saw lots of fish caught, to a lot getting the wood shampoo. We had two dinky high-fin coho on naked CPH. Crab traps were all but empty, but the rockfish carks were picked clean. First time using bone stock Danielsons. I think they are more "crab feeders" than crab traps.

Kinda wish I had tried for a tuna run out of PC and maybe just wound up with a Halibut or ocean Nook. Oh well, good day with good friends.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:18 AM   #18
grim
Tuna!

My boat is a dark blue NR with radar o- "O-Sea-D" on the side. Say Hi, if we are along side each other. We caught one Chinook at the ghost hole, one between the jetties and lost one outside just about dark. We caught silvers everywhere but outside. The CG lifted the bar restriction to 20 ft about 2 hours before dark and we were between the jetties anyway so we went outside. I normally fish a day or two a week there this time of year but the hunt schedule changed so I will miss the next two weekends. My next opportunity will start after the 30th so I'm hoping the fishing stays good through Thanksgiving. Good luck.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #19
I'd rather fish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
no sweat with that boat.
Good to hear! With the water being shallower is bait or hardware most effective?
Old 10-17-2017, 06:59 PM   #20
Mr. Carp
Ifish Nate

Quote:
My boat is a dark blue NR with radar o- "O-Sea-D" on the side. Say Hi, if we are along side each other.
Didn't see this till I got home. I was running the tiller open sled with no markings. We passed each other multiple times and told me you looked at my boat all day and I responded with "yeah, but yours is a much drier ride!"

Glad to see you had luck.
Ifish Member #3257
"A critic is a legless man who teaches running" Anonymous
Does a one legged duck swim in a circle?
Team Banana Oil
Mr. Carp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 PM   #21
grim
Tuna!

I'm headed out elk hunting this weekend so I won't be back over until the end of the month or early November. Save me a few fish. -- I thought I would get in one more day but the wind is hitting at just the wrong time.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #22
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
My boat is a dark blue NR with radar o- "O-Sea-D" on the side. Say Hi, if we are along side each other. We caught one Chinook at the ghost hole, one between the jetties and lost one outside just about dark. We caught silvers everywhere but outside. The CG lifted the bar restriction to 20 ft about 2 hours before dark and we were between the jetties anyway so we went outside. I normally fish a day or two a week there this time of year but the hunt schedule changed so I will miss the next two weekends. My next opportunity will start after the 30th so I'm hoping the fishing stays good through Thanksgiving. Good luck.
When you get back I will hit you up for a chance at a nook. I'll be going to Arizona on the 20th to spend Thanksgiving with my mother and sisters and I would score some major Brownie points if I had some fresh smoked salmon when I get there

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

fyshndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 AM   #23
DucterJim
Steelhead

Just got back from 10 days fishing Tillamook. Only two wild coho caught and released in 10 hard days fishing. Saw very few fish caught and only few reported by fish checker. Had planned on staying most of month but ran out of patience and came home to get started on duck season. Last time I will fish Tillamook.
DucterJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 07:39 AM   #24
grim
Tuna!

Give me a call anytime after October 30th Hank and we'll try to put some Garibaldi Toads in the boat.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:00 AM   #25
Joe Evens
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Micelli View Post

Kinda wish I had tried for a tuna run out of PC and maybe just wound up with a Halibut or ocean Nook. Oh well, good day with good friends.
Yep.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:40 AM   #26
cobra
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucterJim View Post
Just got back from 10 days fishing Tillamook. Only two wild coho caught and released in 10 hard days fishing. Saw very few fish caught and only few reported by fish checker. Had planned on staying most of month but ran out of patience and came home to get started on duck season. Last time I will fish Tillamook.
I agree T-bay fishing has been a disappointment for me this year as well. I am beginning to think its going to be a dud but maybe there will be a big push of fish late. Good thing the freezer is plugged with buoy 10 fish and ocean coho, the latter of which was excellent this year.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:08 AM   #27
tear-a-bite
Tuna!

i didn't get to fish it but did fly over it for a while. didn't see any action but it was later in the day on Sat. maybe you are in the vid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ePweM4ZoQI
Old 10-18-2017, 05:12 PM   #28
I'd rather fish
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
no sweat with that boat.
Any advice on rigging, weight, dropper, leader length? I've got a chirp FF without charts.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:54 AM   #29
cobra
Chromer

Spent another beautiful day on the bay yesterday, again with no success. We bounced around to find a stray biter, varying our tactics but nada. Water clarity not too bad but debris in the water (e.g., logs, sticks) from the big storm. My opinion the fish just aren't there in numbers seen in most years. If the fish don't show by next week, I don't think they are coming. Fish checker 1 fish when we pulled out. Did see a nice 31 lber caught and spoke with the guy. He has caught only about 25% of what he normally catches year of year, that kind of says it all.

Last edited by cobra; 10-26-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #30
hot wire
Ifish Nate

Maybe it’s the bait your using. Just kidding.

Yesterday, 6 take downs 3 Fish and It was beautiful! Today it’s WINDY!

Last edited by hot wire; 10-25-2019 at 07:00 PM.
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:33 PM   #31
pearl
King Salmon

Just dropped the pots. Will be in my happy place at daylight. Grind grind grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #32
grim
Tuna!

Two of us fished dark to dark today - we hooked one at the ghost Hole and lost it when brand new 50 lb braid broke right at the pole. It was a good fish and running but with a light drag (no defects other than in the line that we could find). Much later we put a 36 incher in the boat out by the guard tower. We saw a few others caught at the Ghost Hole but not many. Very few between the jetties. I'm headed back Monday.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #33
hot wire
Ifish Nate

We hooked 3 and boated two today. The one we missed had three distinct bite marks around a herring. Upper, middle, lower...darn thing missed the trail hook.

One 28" and one 36". Both bright fish. No Coho today.

We avoid the ghost hole.

I'd give it a 3-4 days till more fish stack up waiting for more rain.
hot wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:51 PM   #34
grim
Tuna!

No joy on Kings today but we did get to fish outside. Very few boats anywhere. We had a half dozen takedowns or hookups - all but one seemed to be coho - and we released one silver at the boat. The day itself was stunning - a great day to spend on the water. We only saw one other fish come to a boat, it too was released. The commercial pole and reel boats didn't appear to fair any better. Hopefully, I can make it back this coming Saturday.
Old 10-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #35
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

I would love to give it a try if you will have an open seat.

The boat is out of service until further notice and won't be seeing any saltwater. The only water is going to be from the garden hose and the sky

Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #36
grim
Tuna!

Hank,

I'll call you later in the week, but if I'm going you are welcome to come too.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #37
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Hank,

I'll call you later in the week, but if I'm going you are welcome to come too.
😁🎣

Old 10-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #38
flatman
King Salmon

ocean salmon is closed, isnt it, as of today. only in the bays for us now.

today appeared slow in tillamook areas.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:31 PM   #39
grim
Tuna!

It's slowing down but not over. Today there were about 30 boats at the Ghost Hole. Not many fish caught today but we lucked into three pigs (all between 35 and 36 inches). Around high slack the hole filled up with debris and with the down pour and fish in the box - we called it an early day at 2:30. Other than ours we only saw four other fish caught (of course there were fish caught we didn't see). We'll be back next weekend for more (but I suspect it may be better in the rivers by then).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2213.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	634034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2212.JPG
Views:	195
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	634042  
Old 11-04-2017, 08:26 PM   #40
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Thanks again Don for breaking my years long skunk at Tillamook Bay

It was truly a great day other than being so damned Cold
My back is still in knots
Sorry for all the sniveling about freezing my azz off
Next time I'll bring my heater no matter what and I'm going shopping for some warmer clothes sooner than later

Can't wait for Halibut season so I can take you out for a change

Old 11-04-2017, 08:43 PM   #41
grim
Tuna!

I saved all of my whining about being wet and cold until I got home - the sympathy from my bride is better than I would have gotten in the boat. If finally warmed up about 20 minutes ago. But a great day for sure - we were lucky to get the fish we did but I'll take that all day long.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:05 PM   #42
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Yes I feel very blessed to have caught mine and add in two more all in less than an hour.

EPIC indeed

Old 11-10-2017, 08:46 PM   #43
grim
Tuna!

Really slow today but only 4 to 7 boats fishing the Ghost Hole. I saw nothing and did nothing - until I was just getting ready to pull my line after fishing an hour longer than I planned. Fish on! and 41 inches to boot. Solo netting a hog is great sport - when it works.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41 11-17--IMG_2242.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	635858  

Last edited by grim; 11-10-2017 at 08:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #44
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Don you need to change your screen name to Nook Slayer

Nice job
The only thing better than netting one solo is netting two in the first hour of fishing and getting an early breakfast

Old 11-12-2017, 07:39 AM   #45
grim
Tuna!

Hank, I'm starting a collection of your square gear containers. We need to fish more often, I only have two so far.
Old 11-12-2017, 09:44 AM   #46
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Hank, I'm starting a collection of your square gear containers. We need to fish more often, I only have two so far.
Don, I'll keep saving them for you.
I have a half dozen extra ones all ready

We will have to get together after the holidays and I'll give you want I've saved

Old 11-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #47
grim
Tuna!

Thanks, I have enough now. And they're full of tackle (yours).
Old 11-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #48
fyshndad
"The Old Salt"

Quote:
Thanks, I have enough now. And they're full of tackle (yours).
Yeah I know I have a bad (for me) habit of leaving gear on other people's boats and never miss it until the next season when I go looking for it and can't figure out what I did with it.